CHICAGO, IL--(Marketwire - Oct 31, 2012) - Are consumers utilizing health insurance plans to the fullest? Maybe not. GoHealthInsurance, the online exchange for individuals and families to compare health insurance quotes, is helping consumers understand what parts of their health plan may not be a good fit for them.
There are a few different signs to tell if the current health insurance policy that you have may not be the perfect fit, including:
1. You never hit the deductible. If you have a high deductible plan, pair it with a Health Savings Account (HSA) to pay for out-of-pocket costs.
2. You avoid seeing your doctor to save on a copayment. This is never a good sign. Either try finding a plan with a lower copayment or visit a minute clinic. Putting off medical treatment can make a condition worse down the road.
3. Your primary care physician (PCP) is not part of your network. Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs) require that you choose a PCP as your first point of contact for all your medical needs. The cost of visiting an out-of-network doctor typically will not be covered.
4. You travel frequently and you have an HMO. Out of state for work or pleasure on a regular basis? You need a Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) plan, my friend. PPOs provide coverage regardless of where you are in the country or what doctor you visit.
5. Preventive care services are still costing you money. Due to the Affordable Care Act (ACA), preventive services are provided at no up-front charge to the consumer at the time of the visit. If your plan existed on or before March 23, 2010 (the day the ACA was passed), you could have a "grandfathered" plan. Grandfathered plans do not have to comply with all of the provisions of the ACA.
GoHealth and its customer-facing website GoHealthInsurance.com is a health insurance technology platform, working with over 100 health insurance carriers and more than 10,000 licensed agents across the United States. Since the company's founding in 2001, the GoHealth platform has helped nearly 30 million Americans shop and compare health insurance quotes.
- Health Savings Account
- health insurance