Some of the headlines:
- NYT: Google Maps App for iPhone Goes in the Right Direction - Review
- The Verge: Google Maps for iPhone is here: how data and design beat Apple
- Wired: Hallelujah! Google Maps Returns to Apple's iPhone
- BetaNews: Google Maps gives iPhone much needed direction
Some of the tweets
- Mat Honan: How do I uninstall Apple Maps?
- Robert Stephens: Happy 40th birthday to Larry Page. I can't help but think getting Google Maps out today was a particularly good present from engineering.
- Ryan Block: Our long national nightmare is finally over. Allow Google Maps to reintroduce itself!
- Ben Schaechter: Google took this opportunity to make maps go from good to great and they did a damn good job.
- Erick Schonfeld: Wow, these new Google maps render supa fast. It's like scrolling the earth.
It goes on like that.
Fact is: Apple whiffed big time with its Maps, and now Google is making it pay.
It's a big win for Google.
Owning a core software function, as Google clearly does with maps on smartphones, can be a strong defense against a competitor with a dominant platform.
It reminds us of how Google keeps trying to replace Microsoft Office, but end users still love Microsoft Excel and refuse to give it up.
More From Business Insider