While most celebrities showed up at Art Basel in Miami Beach to party their faces off, some of them actually made it to the convention center and surrounding satellite fairs to see what the weekend is really about ... art.
According to the New York Post, "Jay snapped up a $20,000 painting titled 'Everyone’s Scared' by 31-year-old Chicagoan Hebru Brantley, who won the Basel showing as a finalist in the Bombay Sapphire Artisan Series produced with Russell Simmons’ Rush Foundation."
On his website, Brantley classifies his paintings as "Afro-Futuristic," "Crayon Colered," "New Testament" and "Old Testament."
Here's what his "Afro-Futuristic" works look like:
We're guessing art for Blue Ivy's nursery?
But it wasn't just Jay and Bey throwing down the dollars at the esteemed art fair.
Here's what other celebs purchased, and for how much, according to the NYP:
- Former Giants star Jeremy Shockey bought two fiberglass tigers painted by Domingo Zapata for $100,000 each.
- Sean “Diddy” Combs took home an Iván Navarrosculpture with the word “Scream” reflected in a mirrored tunnel for approximately $65,000 from the Paul Kasmin Gallery.
- Rick Ross bought a $20,000 photo by Richard Mosse called “Love Is the Drug.”
- Dennis Rodman bought a mixed-media piece by Gym Class Heroes frontman Travie McCoy created from Nike Air Force 1 sneakers.
Additionally, mega collector Peter Brant was spotted escorting Owen Wilson around the convention center, where Edward Tyler Nahem’s booth drew celebs such as Diddy, Kellan Lutz, Donna Karan, Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, Marcia Cross and Jane Seymour.
But perhaps the most serious art-viewer of all was Will Smith, who was surrounded by SEVEN bodyguards and reportedly sealed off the Jack Shainman Gallery booth until he was done viewing.
Thanks to celebrity support, 2012's Art Basel Miami Beach raked in an estimated $1.5 billion.
- Tracking Jay-Z and Beyoncé at Art Basel, one Instagram at a time >
- See how Kim Kardashian, Kanye West and hoards of other celebs partied during Art Basel >
More From Business Insider
- Tracking Jay-Z And Beyoncé At Art Basel, One Instagram At A Time
- Inside All Of This Weekend's Star-Studded Art Basel Parties In Miami
- Check Out Some Awesome Art From The Woman Who Met Jay-Z On The Train
- Arts & Entertainment
- Visual Arts
- Art Basel
- Art Basel Miami Beach