The 8s is a budget version of HTC's well-reviewed Windows Phone 8X, which is currently on sale through AT&T and Verizon. Both phones were announced in September with the promise of a November release date.
HTC didn't mention the 8S wouldn't make it to the U.S. when the phone was first announced.
There are two ways to look at this:
- U.S. carriers aren't interested in offering another Windows Phone, especially since Nokia already makes several budget-friendly variations of its Lumia phone.
- HTC thinks it only needs one "hero" Windows Phone in the U.S. to gauge consumer interest in the platform.
More From Business Insider
- Now Here's Some Good News For Those Of You Who Just Bought A Windows Phone
- Here's Some Bad News If You Bought A Windows Phone This Year
- The Best New Smartphones Of 2012
- Technology & Electronics
- Windows Phone