COLUMBUS, Ohio--(BUSINESS WIRE)--
Huntington Bank recently congratulated its colleagues (employees) whose children’s academic pursuits helped them to obtain $60,000 in scholarships from the bank for the 2014/15 school year. In all, 20 students joined a diverse group of more than 100 young men and women benefitting from $600,000 in college scholarships from Huntington over the last decade.
“Each year we have an impressive group of applicants, which is a testament to the hard work and aspirations of the students and the dedication of their parents,” said Huntington Bank Chairman, President and CEO Steve Steinour. “As the price of a college education continues to increase, we are pleased to help these students in their pursuit of academic and professional excellence.”
Huntington is one of the few banking institutions among its Midwest peers to offer a scholarship program for dependents of its colleagues. Each year Huntington awards as many as 20 scholarships to dependents age 23 or under who are either starting college or returning full-time students. Recipients are selected based on academic accomplishments, extracurricular activities, leadership and participation in school and community activities, career and educational goals and financial need.
Last year the bank provided more than $1 million in tuition reimbursement for the educational pursuits of colleagues at qualified academic institutions and more than $500,000 to communities across the Midwest in support of programs designed to enhance family involvement in college preparation and broaden overall access to higher education.
2014/15 Huntington Bank Colleague Dependent Scholarship Recipients:
Over the years, scholarship recipients have earned degrees ranging from nursing, law and finance to speech and hearing sciences, and more. Today many graduates have professional roles in businesses, non-profits and academic institutions nationwide. The following individuals received scholarships from Huntington for the 2014/15 school year:
- Allison Scherer, Purdue University, West Lafayette IN (Nutrition and Dietetics) – Daughter of Indianapolis, Indiana-based Huntington colleague Doug Scherer
- Lisa Folkmire, Alma College, Alma Michigan (English) – Daughter of Warren, Michigan-based Huntington colleague Anita Folkmire
- Emily Garland, Aquinas College, Grand Rapids MI (sustainable business) – Daughter of Grand Rapids Michigan-based colleague Tom Garland
- Paige TenBrink, Rochester College, Rochester Hills MI (Nursing) – Daughter of Grand Rapids, Michigan-based Huntington colleague Jennifer TenBrink
- Michael Bosworth, University of Toledo (Sports Medicine) – Son of Toledo, Ohio-based Huntington colleague David Bosworth
- Grace Karam, (undeclared) – Daughter of South Euclid, Ohio-based Huntington colleague Rania Karam
- Kevin Koepp, The Ohio State University (Actuary) – Son of Brook Park, Ohio-based Huntington colleague Mark Koepp
- Steven Lemieux, Capital University (Early Childhood Education) – Son of Columbus, Ohio-based Huntington colleague Teresa Conway-Lemieux
- Ashley McIntosh, Mount Vernon Nazarene University, Mount Vernon OH (English) –Daughter of Columbus, Ohio-based Huntington colleague Denise Gossage
- Gabriela Medvedec, The Ohio State University (Accounting) – Daughter of Cincinnati, Ohio-based Huntington colleague Gloria Medvedec
- Madison Montgomery, The Ohio State University (Animal Science/Pre- Veterinarian) – Daughter of Canton, Ohio-based Huntington colleague Mark Montgomery
- Molly Mooney, The Ohio State University (Mathematics) – Daughter of Port Clinton, Ohio-based Huntington colleague Susan Mooney
- Mengumi Mori, Brown University, Providence Rhode Island (Undeclared) – Daughter of Columbus, Ohio-based Huntington colleague Ken Mori
- William Palma, Youngstown State University (Elementary Education) – Son of Campbell, Ohio-based Huntington colleague Deborah Palma
- Vinh Peters, The Ohio State University (Mechanical Engineering) – Son of Columbus, Ohio-based Huntington colleague Brian Peters
- Andrelisae Robinson, Winston Salem State University, Winston-Salem NC (Nursing) – Daughter of Columbus, Ohio-based Huntington colleague Andre Robinson
- Katlin Sarantou, University of Dayton (English) – Daughter of Toledo, Ohio-based Huntington colleague Nicholas Sarantou
- Katherine Watkins, University of South Carolina (Athletic Training/Spanish) – Daughter of Columbus, Ohio-based Huntington colleague Julie Butler
- Danielle Young, The Ohio State University (Visual Communication) – Daughter of Chardon, Ohio-based Huntington colleague Jean Young
- Nicholas Ross, Syracuse University, Syracuse NY (Television, Radio and Film) – Son of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based Huntington colleague Jim Ross
Huntington Bancshares Incorporated (NASDAQ: HBAN and www.huntington.com) is a $60 billion asset regional bank holding company headquartered in Columbus, Ohio. The Huntington National Bank, founded in 1866, provides full-service commercial, small business, and consumer banking services; mortgage banking services; treasury management and foreign exchange services; equipment leasing; wealth and investment management services; trust services; brokerage services; customized insurance brokerage and service programs; and other financial products and services. The principal markets for these services are Huntington’s six-state retail banking franchise: Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Indiana, West Virginia, and Kentucky. The primary distribution channels include a banking network of more than 700 traditional branches and convenience branches located in grocery stores and retirement centers, and through an array of alternative distribution channels including internet and mobile banking, telephone banking, and more than 1,500 ATMs. Through automotive dealership relationships within its six-state retail banking franchise area and selected other Midwest and New England states, Huntington also provides commercial banking services to the automotive dealers and retail automobile financing for dealer customers.
Member FDIC. The logo mark and Huntington® are federally registered service marks of Huntington Bancshares Incorporated.
- Banking & Budgeting
- Huntington Bank
- Ohio State University
Michael K. Sherman, 614-480-6114