Interval International, a prominent worldwide provider of vacation services and an operating business of Interval Leisure Group (IILG), today announced that its U.S.-resident members traveled approximately 24 nights per year for leisure purposes during the last 12 months, and report average annual household income of $121,550, more than twice the median household income according to the U.S. Census Bureau. Approximately one of four earns in excess of $150,000, reinforcing the affluent nature of Interval’s U.S. membership base. In addition, approximately 18 percent indicated that they are likely to purchase additional vacation time in the future.
These are some of the findings from the Interval International 2013 U.S. Membership Profile, which was prepared to assist Interval in developing benefits, products, and services. The observations from the online survey detailed in the report may also be useful to resort developers and prospective industry entrants in designing their products and sales and marketing strategies.
“We’re very pleased to share these positive results that are reflective of an improving U.S. economy. We’re seeing member income levels hold steady and an increase in the nights they’re traveling for leisure, and in length of stay,” said Bryan Ten Broek, Interval’s senior vice president of resort sales and business development for the U.S., Canada, and Caribbean. “It’s also interesting to note that today more than one-third of members own points-based products, which represents a significant increase in recent years.”
More than half (53.5%) of respondents own more than one week of shared vacation ownership time or its equivalent. Of those likely to purchase more vacation time, approximately one in three (33.2%) indicated that they would be most interested in buying in Florida. The next most desired states are Hawaii (26.5%) and California (20.8%).
Those wanting to purchase additional vacations remain most interested in the two-bedroom configuration, with nearly two-thirds (67.2 percent) citing that preference.
Other notable findings from the 2013 U.S. Membership Profile include:
- Nearly two of three earn between $50,000 and $149,999 and nearly one in 10 earn more than $250,000 annually.
- Leisure travel nights during the prior 12 months have increased from an average of 22 in 2011 to 24 in 2013. Approximately 65 percent of total annual leisure nights were domestic (15.9 nights) and 35 percent international (8.4 nights).
- The average length of stay was 6.5 nights for domestic and 5.8 nights when visiting international locales.
- The number of members owning points-based products increased to 35 percent in 2013, from 34 percent in 2011 as compared to 22 percent in 2009. (The 2009 study was conducted by mail which may have impacted the comparability of results).
- Nearly four in 10 (38.8%) cite Bermuda, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean as the leisure destination of choice within the next two years. In addition, 36.5 percent plan to visit Europe and almost one in four (24.6%) plan to travel to Mexico during the same period.
- Approximately 27 percent own a second home, 15 percent own a vacation home, and a similar proportion report ownership of investment property.
Industry representatives who would like to receive a complimentary copy of the study should contact Bryan Ten Broek at Bryan.TenBroek@intervalintl.com.
About Interval International
Interval International operates membership programs for vacationers and provides value-added services to its developer clients worldwide. Based in Miami, Florida, the company has been a pioneer and innovator in serving the vacation ownership market since 1976. Today, Interval has an exchange network of nearly 2,800 resorts in more than 75 nations. Through offices in 16 countries, Interval offers high-quality products and benefits to resort clients and about 2 million families who are enrolled in various membership programs. Interval is an operating business of Interval Leisure Group, Inc. (IILG), a leading global provider of membership and leisure services to the vacation industry.
Note to Editors: Photo available upon request.
- Travel & Tourism
- Interval International
Steve Gerrish, 305-925-6519