Iron Mountain® Incorporated (IRM), the storage and information management company, today unveiled Iron Mountain Data Centers™, a portfolio of services for organizations seeking a secure and compliant data center environment. The company will lease out space in its premier underground storage facility for wholesale and retail colocation data centers, something it’s done selectively over the last decade for enterprise and government clients.
Now the company formalizes the offering and introduces a suite of services for data migration, networking, tape handling, asset disposition and more so enterprises can outsource the complete management of their data center. Iron Mountain is actively exploring offering additional data center locations in key markets on existing company-owned land.
“Most of today’s data center providers sell space. Iron Mountain Data Centers offers more than just space. We’re packaging together services that will enable enterprises to outsource the ongoing management of their data center,” said Iron Mountain’s Mark Kidd, senior vice president and general manager, data centers. “We want to make it easier for enterprises to outsource. And our DNA in tracking information assets from creation to disposition is particularly differentiating for organizations that must comply with industry regulations. No one in today’s data center market has our track record in security and facilitating compliance.”
Iron Mountain’s solution gives customers two options for data center space. Iron Mountain Wholesale Data Centers provides dedicated, secure space for all or part of an organization’s data center operations and offers a range of services, including engineering and design; development and construction; and ongoing facility operations and management. For organizations needing a smaller footprint, Iron Mountain’s Retail Colocation solution provides a shared environment with scalable power space and reliable power and cooling.
Iron Mountain’s underground data center in Boyers, Pa. is ideal for enterprises and government clients seeking an ultra-secure environment. The former limestone mine is 220 feet below ground, with ambient temperatures in the mid-50s, efficient geothermal cooling and natural protection from extreme weather events. To view photos of Iron Mountain’s underground site, visit: www.ironmountain.com/underground.
Several government and enterprise clients like lodging company Marriott International have long leased space in the Iron Mountain underground. In 2008, Marriott leased 12,500 square feet of space to establish a data center there for disaster recovery purposes. The company sought to reduce its recovery time for business critical systems and determined the unique setting of Iron Mountain’s underground was part of the solution.
“We have always had a rigorous and constant focus on having disaster preparedness in place,” declared Dan Blanchard, vice president of enterprise operations at Marriott. “More than five years ago, we determined that we needed more flexibility and we got it. Today we have a data center that provides Marriott with a tremendous capability for disaster recovery, and we have a great partner in Iron Mountain.”
More than offering secure space, Iron Mountain seeks to win over enterprises still weighing outsourcing by offering a flat rate for bundled services normally done by multiple vendors. Iron Mountain’s suite of data center services includes:
- Migration Services: Iron Mountain helps customers move servers and racking from one data center to another, providing extensive site surveys, business impact reports, migration plan documentation, risk assessment and comprehensive migration.
- Installation and “Smart” Remote Hands: Iron Mountain’s team of infrastructure professionals provide installation and on-going technical support services – from cable management and server/storage deployments to reboots and hard drive replacements.
- Secure Network Services: Customers have numerous options for transmitting data between Iron Mountain data centers and assistance ordering carrier services via on-demand network services like Internet bandwidth and secure IP transport.
- Offsite Tape Vaulting: Iron Mountain provides tape storage services both at the hosted data center and at Iron Mountain's more than 60 tape vaulting locations throughout the United States. This allows customers to preserve media for disaster recovery or long-term retention using a rigorous chain-of-custody and audit trail during transport and storage.
- Secure IT Asset Disposition: This offering helps organizations safely recycle or repurpose decommissioned data center assets like servers, racks, storage systems and networking components.
“The days of evaluating data center providers based primarily on space are long behind us,” said Michelle Bailey, vice president of data center initiatives and digital infrastructure, 451 Research. “As organizations increasingly incorporate leased capacity as part of their data center portfolio, services for disaster recovery, security and compliance are essential to satisfy business requirements. This is particularly true for highly regulated vertical markets such as financial services, government and healthcare.”
Iron Mountain will exhibit in booth #635 at the Data Center World 2013 conference this week in Las Vegas. To learn more about Iron Mountain Data Centers, visit: www.ironmountain.com/datacenters.
About Iron Mountain Incorporated
Iron Mountain Incorporated (IRM) is a leading provider of storage and information management services. The company’s real estate network of over 64 million square feet across more than 1,000 facilities in 35 countries allows it to serve customers around the world. And its solutions for records management, data backup and recovery, document management, and secure shredding help organizations to lower storage costs, comply with regulations, recover from disaster, and better use their information . Founded in 1951, Iron Mountain stores and protects billions of information assets, including business documents, backup tapes, electronic files and medical data. Visit www.ironmountain.com for more information.
- Iron Mountain Incorporated