Judge: Heinz sale can proceed

Judge dismisses Heinz shareholder lawsuit, says sale can proceed

Associated Press

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- A Pittsburgh judge has dismissed multiple lawsuits over the proposed $28 billion buyout of H.J. Heinz Co.

The ruling issued Monday afternoon by Judge Christine A. Ward means that shareholders can proceed with a Tuesday morning vote on the buyout in New York.

Heinz spokesman Michael Mullen says the company is pleased with the decision, and expects shareholders to "overwhelmingly approve" the $72.50 per share sale. U.S. authorities have already signed off on the sale.

The Pittsburgh-based company known for its ketchup had announced in February that it was being acquired and taken private by Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway and 3G Capital, a private investment firm run by Brazilian billionaires.

The lawsuit had claimed that the deal shortchanges shareholders.

U.S. District Judge David S. Cercone previously dismissed similar federal lawsuits.

Rates

View Comments (32)