This winter has been tough. Many of us, especially those who live on the Eastern seaboard, can attribute our winter blues to all sorts of causes: bad weather, early tax stress or unforeseen challenges — in my case, losing a beloved family member to a terminal illness.
At times, money, family and your career can make life seem like a roller coaster. As my mother always told me, life will have plenty of “peaks and valleys.” It is up to each individual to find the beauty in life and to keep a positive attitude.
While we may think that the cold winter weather forces us to stay indoors, there are plenty of activities that will keep you busy. Here are three ways that you can avoid the winter blues.
- Reevaluate your New Years’ resolution. Just because New Year’s was two months ago, it doesn’t mean you should give up on your resolution. If your goal turned out to be too challenging, feel free to modify your resolution to a reasonable ambition. Setting goals will motivate you to accomplish a task.
- Start a new activity. Stepping outside of your comfort zone can be terrifying, but once you do, you will be glad you did. Take a dance class or join a book club – just do something that will get you out of the house and allow you to meet new people.
- Exercise. We all know that exercise has enormous health benefits. It prevents you from gaining excess weight that can bring you down. Besides the normal health advantages, exercise can also improve your mood and boost your energy so you can accomplish more in your day.
Doing something new will clear your mind and will prepare you to take on any upcoming challenges. So go ahead — look around – see what you can do to avoid the winter weather from getting you down.
Shira Adler is the founder of Diva Mama, LLC, a company that offers products, programs and practices to empower your inner essence. As an inspirational writer, speak, host and professional voice over and commercial actor, Shira Adler has had a long career of using her voice to elevate, celebrate and illuminate. Her highly acclaimed blog, Diva-Mama, is dedicated to support, brighten and inspire by offering tips and transformational tools; serving as a guide to staying connected, in touch and in flow. Shira takes a fresh look at balancing life, love and laughter to help nurture and inspire you to live the most vibrant life possible. Like many Manilla Blog readers, Shira is also a very busy mom and female entrepreneur (aka “mompreneur”). In recent months Shira has launched an aromatherapy line and downloadable guided meditation series while juggling her writing, hosting, voice-over work and family. Next up, her book: Spiritually Sexy!
More from Manilla.com:
- Embrace the Cold and Have Some Frugal Family Fun this Winter
- Where Do You Stand with Your New Year’s Resolutions?
- How To Create Your Own “Mental Recharge” Space