LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--
The Los Angeles Regional Interoperable Communication System Authority (LA-RICS) has selected Motorola Solutions, Inc. (MSI) to develop a wireless Public Safety Broadband Network (PSBN) based on 4G LTE to provide mission-critical data communications for the region’s more than 34,000 law enforcement, fire service and health service professionals and more than 80 public safety agencies.
LA-RICS awarded a $175 million contract to Motorola, if all options are exercised, for a five-phase project to design, construct, implement and maintain the LTE network. Motorola will deliver the PSBN solution operating on Public Safety LTE Band Class 14 of the 700 MHz spectrum to provide a shared, region-wide data system throughout the 4,000-square-mile area. LA-RICS is funding the 231-site project primarily with federal grants from the Broadband Technology Opportunities Program (BTOP) administered by the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA).
Motorola’s Public Safety LTE solution supports a host of public safety applications, such as integrated command center applications and other computer-aided dispatch (CAD) solutions, real-time video streaming, tactical collaboration, dynamic mapping and routing, and in-field reporting, as well as optional push-to-talk and location services. The new LTE network will connect the region’s first responders to regional, state and federal agencies during natural disasters and other widespread emergencies.
- The high-speed LTE PSBN will provide mission-critical, public safety data communications for the entire Los Angeles region, enabling first responders to use the latest video, data and other broadband tools to execute their missions more efficiently and safely.
- The PSBN consists of an Evolved Packet Core (EPC) with 231 eNodeB sites operating on Band Class 14, as well as a highly-reliable backhaul network and redundant Network Operation Centers (NOC).
- Motorola is providing 1,000 VML 700 LTE Vehicle Modems for the initial testing of the PSBN. In addition to supporting Band Class 14, the VML700 will provide connectivity to commercial carrier 4G LTE Band Class 13 and to 3G EVDO networks for nationwide wireless data coverage.
- In August 2013, LA-RICS awarded a contract to Motorola to develop an ASTRO®25 radio system that will provide mission-critical voice communications for the Los Angeles region. The Project 25 radio system will provide real-time interoperable communications for the Los Angeles area, as well as with regional, state and federal agencies. Combined with the LTE network, LA-RICS will provide state-of-the-art wireless voice and data communications for the entire region of more than 10 million people.
Patrick Mallon, executive director, LA-RICS
“Proceeding with this wireless Public Safety Broadband Network for the Los Angeles region will assist LA-RICS in fulfilling its goal of providing the finest public safety grade mission-critical communications to the region’s public safety professionals.”
Mark Moon, executive vice president and president, Sales & Product Operations, Motorola Solutions
“Public safety agencies throughout the Los Angeles region will benefit tremendously from a new LTE broadband network delivering mission-critical data every day. The region places a high priority on its first responders and this broadband public safety network will help them communicate more effectively with advanced video and data capabilities. Motorola Solutions knows the importance of public safety communications and we greatly appreciate being chosen by LA-RICS to use our experience to build an advanced data network as well as an interoperable radio system to serve the entire region.”
Website: Public Safety LTE
Website: VML 700 LTE Vehicle Modem
Website: Motorola Solutions
Facebook: Motorola Solutions
Twitter: Motorola Solutions Public Safety
About Motorola Solutions
Motorola Solutions is a leading provider of mission-critical communication solutions and services for enterprise and government customers. Through leading-edge innovation and communications technology, it is a global leader that enables its customers to be their best in the moments that matter. Motorola Solutions trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker “MSI.” To learn more, visit www.motorolasolutions.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom or subscribe to our news feed.
MOTOROLA, MOTO, MOTOROLA SOLUTIONS and the Stylized M Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Motorola Trademark Holdings, LLC and are used under license. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. ©2014 Motorola Solutions, Inc.
- Internet & Networking Technology
- public safety
- Los Angeles