ST. LOUIS, Nov. 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Customers of Laclede Gas Company will benefit from lower natural gas costs this winter. Yesterday, Laclede filed a request with the Missouri Public Service Commission to lower rates by two percent. If approved, these rates will be the lowest in a decade with customers paying an average of $0.52 per therm* for the cost of gas. That means a savings for the average residential customer of nearly $12 during the winter heating season, excluding the impact from weather-related changes in usage or a future rate adjustment.
"Our customers can depend on Laclede Gas for safe and reliable natural gas service. They can also depend on us to aggressively manage our gas costs and to pass along savings when possible. Natural gas remains the most cost effective energy source available for homes and businesses today. This filing, if approved, will save our customers $11.6 million annually," said Steve Lindsey, president of Laclede Gas Company.
The cost of gas accounts for nearly 60 percent of a typical residential customer bill. The remaining 40 percent of a bill is made up of the infrastructure, operating and maintenance costs Laclede Gas incurs to deliver that gas safely and reliably to homes and businesses.
*A therm is a unit of heat equal to burning 100 cubic feet of natural gas.
ABOUT LACLEDE GAS COMPANY
Laclede Gas Company has provided safe and reliable natural gas service to Missouri for more than 150 years. Now including customers from Missouri Gas Energy, we are the largest gas distribution company in Missouri, delivering some of the nation's cleanest energy to more than 1.1 million customers. Laclede serves residential, commercial and industrial customers in the St. Louis and Kansas City metropolitan areas and 40 counties throughout Missouri. Laclede Gas Company is a subsidiary of The Laclede Group, Inc., traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol LG. For more information, please visit www.LacledeGas.com.
- Utility Industry
- Nature & Environment
- Laclede Gas
- natural gas