DODGEVILLE, WI--(Marketwired - Jul 30, 2013) - While summer break is in full swing, it will soon be time for the first day of school for millions of families. According to the Lands' End 2013 Back-to-School Kids and Parents Survey*, parents tend to be very or somewhat excited about the first day (74 percent), while kids still love their summer break with nearly 45 percent reporting that the first day is "okay, but they like summer break." Yet, parents and kids can agree that a first day outfit is important. With the first day of school in mind as well as the 180th, Lands' End is launching its 2013 Back-to-School collection filled with new styles, easy-to-wear options and durability.
Best Day, Every Day
"This fall, millions of bus stops and school halls will be buzzing with students returning to classes or starting their very first day. Whether for photos or simply to feel great, we know that a first day outfit is important for kids," said Syndi Stark, vice president of merchandising, Lands' End Kids. "We also know that parents want that same outfit to look great from day one and beyond. That's why we've created our 2013 Back-to-School collection with this style, substance and much more in mind."
First Day Fashions and Photos
According to kids surveyed, shopping for school supplies and clothing is their favorite part about getting ready for the first day of school (64 percent). Topping the list of supplies is a backpack with 92 percent of parents reporting it as the number one item to have for the first day. This back-to-school season, Lands' End offers four distinct lines including ClassMate®, FeatherLight™, Dash and My First, with more solid colors that are easy to personalize with embroidery options. Each has an innovative design and superior durability at an incredible value. Look for small, medium and large size options to ensure proper fit. Shop the entire collection at landsend.com/kids to select by size, color or collection.
With 85 percent of parents indicating photos as part of their first-day back-to-school plans, looking great on day one is important. More than 95 percent of parents are willing to spend up to $100 on a first day outfit alone.
With the newly expanded Girls' Knit Kit, Lands' End has easy options for mix-and-match outfits for the first day and beyond in cotton-rich fabrics including dozens of dresses, long- and short-sleeve tops,
leggings, yoga pants and more. Kids can start the year off with buy-now wear-now styles and layer on as the weeks progress and temperatures dip. For boys, durable Iron Knee® pants, a Good Housekeeping 2013 Very Innovative Product (VIP) Award winner, are available in a host of styles ranging from Denim Jeans to Ripstop Pull-ons. Tops include Rugbys, long- and short-sleeve tees in solids, stripes and graphics, and woven poplins in plaids and checks. Sherpa-Lined Hoodies for boys and girls, starting at $34, are back for the fall and can be personalized with fun icons.
"Graphic Tees continue to top kids' wish lists for fall and many will surely be appearing in first-day photos," said Stark. "We have many options in cool graphics for boys and girls plus Super-Ts™ under $20. Other styles include glow-in-the-dark options for boys and reversible sequins for girls."
Overwhelmingly, smartphones (52 percent) and digital cameras (43 percent) are the top photo-taking devices, with Facebook being the number one tool for sharing those images (48 percent). With clothing in sizes 2T to 20, and extended sizes for plus, husky and slim, there is a fit for every kid and every kid will look great for first-day photos.
Other survey highlights from parents includes:
- Butterflies! Most parents (48 percent) had butterflies on their first day of school and were nervous.
- Routine. Parents are equally excited to return to a routine (39 percent) when the school year starts as they are about a new year (39 percent).
- Teachers Make an Impact. Parents remember meeting new teachers the most (35 percent) when they reflect back on their first day of school.
- It's Exciting! Forty-nine percent of parents indicated their child is "Excited. Wakes up early with anticipation" when describing their child's feelings about the first day of school.
- Shopping Sources. Most parents get their back-to-school shopping information from friends (30 percent) or company websites (26 percent).
Survey highlights from kids include:
- A whopping 67 percent of kids indicated seeing their friends again as the favorite part about the first day of school.
- Most kids are either excited (39 percent) or feel pretty normal (20 percent) about the first day.
- Thirty-eight percent of kids think next year's school year will be "fun," while just about 37 percent indicated it will be "tough" or "busy."
- Teachers Make a Difference. Sixty-two percent of kids indicated "a nice teacher" helps them have the best, first day back to school.
All Lands' End items are Guaranteed. Period.® Any item can be returned at any time, for any reason for an exchange or refund of its purchase price.
About Lands' End®
Lands' End is a classic American lifestyle brand with a passion for quality, legendary service, real value and a simple two-word promise to stand behind everything it sells: Guaranteed. Period.® Lands' End delivers timeless style for Men, Women, Kids and the Home at landsend.com, 1-800-800-5800, the Lands' End Shops at Sears and around the world. Lands' End is a proud member of the Sears Holdings Corporation (
* The 2013 Back to School Survey of parents was conducted by Lands' End via SurveyMonkey from July 8-12, 2013. The online survey was fielded by 634 participants. The 2013 Back to School Survey of kids was conducted by Lands' End via C+R Research. The survey was fielded by 502 kids from the ages of 6-12 years.
To view this release in a media-rich format, go to: http://www.pwrnewmedia.com/2013/landsend/back_to_school/