DODGEVILLE, WI--(Marketwired - May 14, 2013) - It's time to shed the sweaters and put away the pants... swimsuit season is here! A recent survey of women by Lands' End found that almost nine out of ten (89 percent) agree that wearing a swimsuit is the most exposed they ever are in public. It's not surprising then that women surveyed believe that proper fit (98 percent) is essential in any swimsuit they are considering.
"A great fitting swimsuit is key to looking great and feeling comfortable during swim season," said Erin McCormick, swimwear merchandise manager, Lands' End. "At Lands' End, we are committed to offering women fabulous fits and beautiful styles to help them look and feel confident whether at the beach or in the backyard."
While women confess to feeling "exposed" when wearing a swimsuit in a crowd, the survey also found that only 20 percent are concerned about the opinion of the general public. While others' opinions may not matter, women are still looking for fit solutions in swimsuits. In fact, almost eight out of ten (78 percent) want a swimsuit to flatten the tummy area, while almost half would like a swimsuit that enhances the bust area (49 percent), slims hips (48 percent) or helps to conceal thighs (48 percent).
The survey also found that two-thirds (66 percent) of respondents do plan to purchase a new swimsuit this year. When asked what prompts new swimsuit purchases, many cited multiple reasons including old swimsuits were worn out (88 percent), body changes (79 percent), upcoming vacations (70 percent) and simply wanting a new swimsuit style (35 percent).
Additional Swimsuit Survey Findings:
- One-Piece Preferred - One-pieces continue to rule among almost seven out of ten women (67 percent) when it comes to swimsuit silhouettes.
- Bold Bikinis - While one-piece swimsuits may rank tops, almost half of those surveyed plan to brave a bikini this season (46 percent).
- Choices, Choices - Almost a quarter of women (23 percent) will give themselves swimsuit choices this season by purchasing more than one suit.
- Swimsuit Quality Counts - Women demand a quality swimsuit with 89 percent stating the level of quality in a swimsuit impacts purchasing decision.
- Cool Coverage - Swimsuit shoppers are looking for swim coverage. In fact, 85 percent look for a swimsuit with good coverage.
- Oh So Slimming - More than half of respondents (53 percent) would like to find a swimsuit with slimming technology.
- Mix it Up - When asked about swimsuit style more than half (56 percent) prefer to buy each piece separately in order to choose proper fit each piece.
- Speech vs. Swimsuit - Survey respondents stated that when in public they would be more self conscious in a swimsuit (66 percent) than giving a speech in public (35 percent).
- Keep it Quality - There are many factors that go into purchasing a swimsuit but for 89 percent of respondents, quality in a swimsuit choice is key.
- Shopping Strategies - Swimsuit shoppers are using multiple channels when shopping for swimsuits including: In store (89 percent), Online (64 percent) and via catalog (42 percent).
About Lands' End
Lands' End® is a classic American lifestyle brand with a passion for quality, legendary service, real value and a simple two-word promise to stand behind everything it sells: Guaranteed. Period.® Lands' End delivers timeless style for Men, Women, Kids and the Home at landsend.com, 1-800-800-5800, the Lands' End Shops at Sears and around the world. Lands' End is a proud member of the Sears Holdings Corporation (
Editor's Note: 1,122 women ages 18 and over participated in the Lands' End Swimsuit Survey. The survey was fielded via Survey Monkey from April 22-26, 2013.
To view this release in a media-rich format, go to: http://www.pwrnewmedia.com/2013/landsend/swimwear/