CHICAGO, IL--(Marketwire -04/11/12)- Life Savers is turning 100, and to celebrate a century of sharing simple but meaningful connections between people, the iconic brand is giving back to charities that matter to its fans.
The giving campaign, called Connect for a Cause, works like this:
- People can participate by entering the code on specially-marked 100th Anniversary packages of Life Savers hard candies, mints and gummies at www.LifeSaversShareRing.com
- For every code entered, a $1 donation* will be made through JustGive to the charity chosen by each participant from 100 charities already identified at www.LifeSaversShareRing.com
- The program continues through August 31, 2012
"We're doing something special to spotlight the 100th birthday of Life Savers because we believe our fans deserve it," said John Starkey, Director of Confections for Wrigley. "For 100 years, people have used Life Savers as a token of sharing -- it's time to share with causes that matter to them."
Party in Chattanooga
The centennial festivities will also take place today at Wrigley's Chattanooga, Tenn. factory, where Life Savers mints are produced. Wrigley employees, executives and local dignitaries will celebrate the milestone as well as the factory's recent expansion that included significant sustainability achievements.
An American icon is born
Here's a look back at our journey to 100 and some key milestones:
- In summer 1912, chocolate-maker Clarence A. Crane invented the original Pep O Mint flavor to create a candy that could withstand the summer heat. Crane called them Life Savers because they looked like little life preservers
- During WWII, other candy manufacturers donated their sugar rations to keep Life Savers in production so the candies could be shared with Armed Forces as a tasty reminder of life at home
- Life Savers helped pioneer advertising and marketing tactics like sampling and in-store displays
- Since 1912, Life Savers flavors have included Cl-O-Ve, Lic-O-Rice, Cin-O-Mon, Vi-O-Let, Choc-O-Mint, Molas-O-Mint, Lemon-Lime, Cola and many more!
To learn more about the Life Savers100th celebration, more of our history and participate in Connect for A Cause, visit our anniversary hub at www.Life-Savers.com. We'll also include updates at our Facebook sites, www.Facebook.com/LifeSaversGummies and www.Facebook.com/LifeSaversMints.
* Donations will be made up to $250,000 across all charities. Charities were selected through a partnership with nonprofit JustGive, a destination for online charitable giving. For full terms and conditions, a Life Savers timeline and a complete list of participating charities please visit www.LifeSaversShareRing.com
The Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company is a recognized leader in confections with a wide range of product offerings including gum, mints, hard and chewy candies, lollipops, and chocolate. The Company has operations in more than 40 countries and distributes its world-famous brands in more than 180 countries. Three of these brands -- Wrigley's Spearmint, Juicy Fruit, and Altoids -- have heritages stretching back more than a century. Other well-loved brands include Doublemint, Life Savers, Skittles, Big Red, Boomer, Pim Pom, Winterfresh, Extra, Starburst, Freedent, Hubba Bubba, Orbit, Excel, Creme Savers, Eclipse, Airwaves, Solano, Sugus, Lockets, P.K., Cool Air and 5. Wrigley is headquartered in Chicago, Illinois and operates as a subsidiary of Mars, Incorporated, based in McLean, Virginia. Mars is a $30-billion, family-owned company that produces some of the world's leading confectionery, food and petcare products and has growing beverage and health & nutrition businesses.