ESPNThe reaction to Johnny Manziel giving the Washington Redskins' bench the middle finger during Monday night's preseason game has been refreshingly subdued.
Redskins defensive end Brian Orakpo called it "hilarious," telling ESPN: "We were messing with him a little bit, just saying this ain't college and stuff like that. We were having a little fun. Manziel flipped us off. It was something funny. We were all laughing on the sidelines."
Browns coach Mike Pettine called the action "disappointing" but said it would not play a part in who wins the quarterback job.
The reaction among fans on Twitter is near-universal glee that Johnny Football now gets to do Johnny Football things in the NFL. Joe Theismann seems to be the only person who had an issue with it.
But Manziel has been famous long enough to know how these sorts of controversies work. So when he was informed by team PR person Rob McBurnett that ESPN caught him flipping the bird during the fourth quarter, he was visibly distressed at the thought of answering middle finger questions for seven straight days.
"Ughhhhh," seems to be the sentiment here. Here's the Vine from SB Nation's Brendan Porath:
NOW WATCH: The Horrible Things That Happen To Your Body When You're Stressed
More From Business Insider
- Redskins Player Reveals What Caused Johnny Manziel To Give Them The Middle Finger
- Johnny Manziel Appeared To Give The Redskins The Middle Finger During Preseason Game
- Here's How Many Games Vegas Thinks Your Favorite NFL Team Will Win This Season
- Maria Sharapova Mocks Opponent For Taking An Injury Timeout, Questions If She Was Actually Hurt
- Here's The 'Toothbrush Test' Google's CEO Uses To Make Acquisition Decisions
- American Football
- Sports & Recreation
- Brian Orakpo