In Wednesday's morning summary, Macquarie analyst Walt Chancellor initiated coverage on a number of players in the "fiercely competitive" oil and gas industry.
Halliburton: Outperform, $72 price target
Chancellor believes that companies that drive value through efficiency and lowered cost on high-quality service will be in a position to capture profitable growth at a disproportionate level. Moreover, he anticipates Halliburton emerging as a "relative outperformer."
In the long-term, Chancellor anticipates built-in structural cost pressures and impediments to productivity will force NOCs and IOCs to "lean heavily" on large, integrated service companies, such as Halliburton.
For a more detailed view of Macquarie's position on Halliburton, see the full article on the initiation.
Schlumberger: Outperform, $119 price target
Despite performance that has lagged the OFS group year-to-date, Chancellor believes Schlumberger is "well positioned" to lock-in gains from U.S. land and will see a disproportionate benefit from the themes dominating oil field service in the coming years.
Looking to the long-term, Chancellor says the company's "unmatched international footprint" will help position the company to capture meaningful oil field service revenue from an increase in international unconventional activity/production.
- Atwood Oceanics (NYSE: ATW): Neutral, $56 price target: Although Atwood is a proven "premium offshore player," Chancellor suggests caution relating to "the potential persistence of a deepwater downturn."
- Basic Energy Services (NYSE: BAS): Neutral, $25 price target: Chancellor believes Basic Energy's current valuation does not adequately reflect the path to incremental value capture.
- Parker Drilling (NYSE: PKD): Outperform, $8 price target: Looking forward, Chancellor says since the bar is set "rather low" for Parker Drilling, merely meeting its 2014 guidance could act as a catalysts to send the stock above his $8 price target.
- UPDATE: Macquarie Initiates Coverage On Halliburton
- Benzinga's Top Initiations
- U.S. Drilling Rig Count Rises by 9 - Analyst Blog
© 2014 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
- Investment & Company Information