Here are five key facts to know about the health care overhaul before major portions of it begin next year.
1. The 2010 law is still in effect, having survived Congressional and Supreme Court challenges.
2. Most Americans will need to have coverage next year or pay an annual penalty.
3. Millions will get coverage next year with help from tax credits or through an expansion of the state-federal Medicaid program.
4. The tax credits are based on income levels and will extend to help both middle-class individuals and families.
5. The law may cause insurance premiums to rise for some.
- health care