CINCINNATI, OH--(Marketwire - Feb 15, 2013) - Ohio National Financial Services today announced record sales and capital growth, including an unequalled industry record in individual life insurance sales performance.
"Ohio National had an outstanding year," reported Gary T. "Doc" Huffman, CLU, ChFC, chairman, president and chief executive officer, at today's board of directors meeting. "We have an exceptionally strong balance sheet, and the company is very well positioned for the future. Although the protracted low interest rate environment created significant challenges for our entire industry, we set new enterprise records in sales and measures of capital protection."
"We continue to deliver long-term policyholder value by providing the highest quality products with the benefits and protection our customers need," Huffman added. "That type of consistent performance and value is what Ohio National is known for in the marketplace."
The company highlighted the following from its 2012 results:
- For the 23rd consecutive year, Ohio National has grown its individual life insurance sales. This is a record that is unmatched in the industry. In total, a record-breaking $126.6 million of new annual premium was reported for individual life insurance, up 6.6 percent from 2011. U.S. domestic sales increased by nearly 18 percent. With consumers' continued interest in security and guarantees, sales of Ohio National's whole life insurance products grew nearly 30 percent during the year.
- Total assets under management reached $34.7 billion , increasing 13.4 percent.
- The company maintains a very strong capital position. Equity capital (including mark-to-market) grew 9.0 percent to $2.1 billion. Equity capital (excluding mark-to-market) grew 4.4 percent to $1.9 billion.
- Core earnings were $204.8 million, the second highest in company history. Core earnings are a key measure of how the company is achieving its goals.
- For the 89th consecutive year, Ohio National paid dividends to all participating whole life policies. A total of $45.3 million was paid to participating policyholders.
- Variable annuity sales totaled $2.8 billion, a 72.2 percent increase over 2011. The company has been a pioneer in the industry with the introduction of managed volatility portfolios for its variable annuity products.
- The O.N. Equity Sales Co., the company's retail broker/dealer subsidiary, grew gross broker/dealer concessions to $37.2 million. This represents a 6.6 percent increase over 2011.
- New financial representatives were recruited, building a strong network across the United States. Nearly 2,000 new career agents and general agents in the traditional sales channel became affiliated with Ohio National. The PGA channel is now the 4th largest in the industry, according to LIMRA.
2012 Rating Highlights
Ohio National's ratings have not changed since 1991. Independent industry analysts in the past year reaffirmed the affiliated companies' very strong financial security ratings. These included:
- Standard & Poor's: "AA" (Very Strong), its third-highest ranking on a 21-part scale, for financial strength. The report noted that the rating reflected "very strong capitalization... demonstrated earnings diversity... low-cost structure and diversified distribution networks."
- A.M. Best: "A+ (Superior)," its second-highest rating of 16 categories, based on the company's balance sheet strength, operating performance and business profile. A.M. Best noted that the rating reflected "increasing market penetration and efficient expense structure... strong core operating fundamentals of persistency, mortality, risk management and investment results."
- Moody's: "A1," its fifth-highest financial strength rating on a 21-part scale, based on the ability to pay policyholder benefits and repay debt obligations. Moody's cited Ohio National's "conservative investment portfolio... strong capital position... and solid asset/liability management."
2012 Company Recognition
Ohio National was recognized as the #1 Top Workplace in Cincinnati (Large Company) by Enquirer Media in 2012. The company also earned #1 status in 2010 and was #2 in 2011. The Top Workplace recognition was based on confidential surveys to all associates, including questions related to leadership, direction, environment, communications, trust, work/life flexibility, appreciation and benefits. Eighty eight percent of associates participated in the 2012 survey.
2012 Community Stewardship
Ohio National's seventh and eighth Habitat for Humanity homes were constructed in Cincinnati during 2012. In recognition of its centennial in 2009, Ohio National made a $780,000 gift to Cincinnati Habitat for Humanity, the largest one-time gift in the local group's history. The funds were designated for the construction of 10 homes over five years in several Cincinnati neighborhoods. Additionally, the Ohio National Foundation donated more than $1 million during 2012 to non-profit organizations in the Greater Cincinnati area.
|OHIO NATIONAL MUTUAL HOLDINGS, INC.|
|Ohio National Financial Services, Inc.|
|The Ohio National Life Insurance Company|
|Ohio National Life Assurance Corporation|
|Summary Results: Through Dec. 2012|
|Total Equity (billions)
|Total Equity (billions)
|Total Assets Under Management (billions)||$34.7||$30.6||13.4%|
|Core Earnings (millions)||$204.8||$205.6||(0.4)%|
|Total Statutory Surplus (millions)||$1,045.6||$902.5||15.9%|
|The financial data presented above is derived from results on the basis of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), except for surplus. All financial information in this news release is considered unaudited because the final audit process is not yet complete.|
|1Including mark-to-market shows the effect of our bonds designated as available-for-sale value at fair value.|
|2 Excluding mark-to-market shows the effect of our bonds designated as available-for-sale at amortized cost.|
|* Amounts have been adjusted for the adoption of Accounting Standards Update 2010-26, Accounting of Costs Associated with Acquiring or Renewing Insurance Contracts adopted retrospectively on January 1, 2012.|
Tracing its corporate origins to 1909, Ohio National today markets a variety of insurance and financial products through more than 50,000 representatives in 47 states (all except Alaska, Hawaii and New York), the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and through subsidiary operations in Santiago, Chile. Products are issued by The Ohio National Life Insurance Co. and Ohio National Life Assurance Corporation. Ohio National has more than 965 corporate headquarters associates. Visit www.ohionational.com for more information.
Ohio National has received high marks for financial strength and claims paying ability from major rating agencies; however, such ratings do not refer to the performance of its variable accounts nor imply approval of its variable contracts or its portfolios. All ratings information is according to reports published on: www.standardandpoors.com, www.ambest.com/ratings and www.moodys.com/insurance. Ratings are accurate as of 2/15/13. For the most current ratings, see www.ohionational.com.
Dividend scales are subject to change at the discretion of the Board of Directors.
- Investment & Company Information