LEUVEN, BELGIUM--(Marketwire -03/01/12)- Option N.V. (EURONEXT Brussels: OPTI; OTC: OPNVY), a global leader in wireless connectivity, security and experience, today announced its results for the full fiscal year and second half year ended December 31, 2011. The financial information reported in this release is presented in Euros and has been prepared in accordance with the recognition and measurement criteria of IFRS as adopted by the European Union. The accounting policies and methods of computation followed in the attached financial statements are the same as those followed in the most recent annual financial statements.
"Mobile broadband is increasingly seen as a utility," said Jan Callewaert, CEO at Option. "The market has moved to a point where today it is not enough to simply enable broadband connectivity, it has to be connectivity with a purpose. Option is at the forefront of combining excellent connectivity with world- class security and great user experience."
The industrial transformation, the Company embarked on in 2011, is being completed. The Company rebuilt its business by creating innovative and compelling products that enable new connected and secure services.
During the second half of 2011 the company deployed the following initiatives:
* The launch of the VIU², an elegant mobile 3G camera that enables anyone to easily set up and manage the remote monitoring of homes, warehouses, vacation homes, construction sites, offices and much more. Since its launch VIU² has been upgraded to a Plug 'n Play 3G camera, streaming anywhere anytime to any iOS or Android device.
* In partnership with VASCO Data Security International, Inc (NASDAQ: VDSI - News), a leading software security company specializing in authentication products, Option is co-developping and bringing to market a new product called Cloudkey. This is a mobile security solution that provides simple and secure access to cloud applications and data, combining VASCO's Digipass authentication capability with Option's 3G USB modem and connection management software.
* The Group has announced the acquisition of the Connected Consumer Electronics assets of Mobiwire SA. These assets include Surface UX software, related IP and a core team of user experience experts. Surface UX is a complete solution to support Mobile Operators, Mobile Device Manufacturers and Retailers in managing and highlighting their offers to consumers. The Surface UX software will be integrated into future Option products.
* Option successfully completed the data interoperability testing (IOT) of its GTM 601W wireless module on the mobile broadband network of NTT DOCOMO, INC.
* AT&T introduced the GTM601 LGA module in its Mobile Broadband Accelerator Program. This extended program includes faster network technology, additional form factors and equipment providers, offering next generation consumer electronics, embedded computing and machine-to-machine device makers access to a more efficient path to production.
* The Group announced its investment of $1.5 million and partnership with San Francisco, US-based Autonet Mobile, Inc; a leading provider of in-car connectivity. The partnership will use Option's wireless modules and software to deliver the first mobile IP-based Telematics Control unit (TCU) for cars. Option's wireless modules combined with Autonet TCU and managed network, make this the first intelligent communication and control device designed to create a new and verticalized mobile automotive ecosystem. The first car model with the TCU will be available later on this year.
* Option's management team was strengthened with the arrival of Jerome Nadel. Jerome joined Option via the MobiWire acquisition and is now Chief Experience Officer (CXO). He is responsible for bringing innovative user- centric connected devices and services to market.
* Option was present at the Mobile World Congress (Barcelona, February 2012) showcasing Cloudkey and the VIU². There the Company also officially introduced the XYFI, the world's smallest 3G & WIFI personal hotspot. The XYFI will offer a set of elegant power accessories, including a wall and car plug, and a unique extended battery pack for the longest autonomy of any battery-powered personal hotspot router.
Financial Highlights of the second half year 2011
* Total revenues for the second half year of 2011 were EUR 24.1 million compared with EUR 26.9 million realized in the second half year of 2010. Product related revenues decreased from EUR 20.4 million in the second half of 2010 till EUR 7.7 million in the same period of 2011, while software and license revenues increased from EUR 6.7 million in the first half of 2010 to EUR 16.4 million in the same period of 2011. EUR 14.6 million of that amount came out of licenses.
* Gross margin for the second half year 2011 was 69.1% on total revenues, compared with a gross margin of 34.8% for the comparable period in 2010. The gross margin for the second half year 2011 was positively influenced by more important license revenues.
* Compared to the second half year 2010, total operating expenses, in the second half of 2011 decreased with EUR 4.3 million from EUR 21 million to EUR 16.7 million as a result of the continuing efforts of an effective cost control within the Group.
* The second half year 2011 EBIT amounted to EUR -0.1 million compared with EUR -10.8 million during the corresponding period in 2010.
* Result before taxes amounted to EUR 0.06 million in the second half of 2011 compared with EUR -10.8 million in 2010.
Financial Highlights of the full fiscal year result 2011
* Total revenues for the full year 2011 were EUR 49.9 million, a decrease of 13.5% compared with EUR 57.7 million revenues realized during the comparable period in 2010. Software and license revenues increased from EUR 6.7 million in 2010 to EUR 30.7 million in 2011. EUR 28.0 million of that amount came out of licenses. Product related revenues decreased from EUR 51.0 million in 2010 to EUR 19.3 million in 2011, due to the phasing out of the old products and the fact that the new products are only just entering the market.
* Gross margin for the full year was EUR 30.7 million compared with EUR 15 million in 2010. Gross margin year to date in 2011 was 61.6%, compared with a gross margin of 26.1% in 2010. The 2011 gross margin was positively impacted by increased license revenues, delivering higher margins compared to revenues generated by products.
* Compared to the full year 2010, total operating expenses decreased with EUR 13.5 million from EUR 47.8 million to EUR 34.3 million. The reduced expenses are the result of the downsizing of the Company, combined with lower sales related costs as well as effective cost control within the Group.
* EBIT was EUR -3.6 million or -7.2% on total revenues during the full year 2011, compared with and EBIT of EUR -31.9 million or -55.2% on total revenues in 2010.
* The 2011 net result was EUR -2.9 million compared with a net result of EUR -61 million, or EUR -0.035 per basic share in 2011 compared with EUR - 0,74 per basic share in 2010.
* The Group's balance sheet includes EUR 25.2 million in cash. The trade and other receivable position decreased from EUR 7.3 million to EUR 3.9 million and the inventory levels from EUR 12.4 million to EUR 6.8 million by the end of 2011. The intangible assets remained at the same level of EUR 8.8 million. The trade and other payable position decreased to EUR 18.1 million from EUR 30.1 million. The Group received EUR 33 million in Q1 2011 as prepaid licenses from Huawei. As result, there is an increase of deferred revenue from EUR + 4.4 million. No deferred tax asset was recognized.
For the entire press release, including tables, click on the link below.
Option reports second half year and full year 2011 results: http://hugin.info/133962/R/1590377/499600.pdf
Option rapporteert resultaten van het tweede halfjaar en het ...: http://hugin.info/133962/R/1590377/499601.pdf
This announcement is distributed by Thomson Reuters on behalf of Thomson Reuters clients. The owner of this announcement warrants that:
(i) the releases contained herein are protected by copyright and other applicable laws; and
(ii) they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the information contained therein.
Source: Option via Thomson Reuters ONE