SAN FRANCISCO, CA--(Marketwire - Oct 3, 2012) - ORACLE OPENWORLD -- Oracle (
- Oracle today announced Oracle Solaris 11.1, delivering over 300 new performance and feature enhancements to the Oracle Solaris 11 product family.
- Customers will be able to quickly and easily upgrade to Oracle Solaris 11.1 using the built-in upgrade tools available in Oracle Solaris 11.
- Oracle Solaris 11 is the first cloud OS that allows customers to build large-scale enterprise-class Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Software as a Service (SaaS) clouds on a wide range of SPARC and x86 servers and engineered systems.
- Oracle Solaris 11 is the operating system for Oracle's SPARC T-Series server line, powers Oracle SPARC SuperCluster T4-4, Oracle Exadata Database Machine and Oracle Exalogic Elastic Cloud engineered systems and is a critical building block for the delivery of the Oracle optimized data center.
- Oracle Solaris 11 is already widely in production with mission critical deployments across industries including, financial services, communications, healthcare, retail, public sector and media and entertainment, with thousands of customers deploying Oracle Solaris 11 on tens of thousands of systems.
- Best UNIX® for Oracle Deployments: Oracle Solaris 11.1 features the newest round of enhancements for the latest database technology, delivering the best performance, availability and I/O throughput of any UNIX platform used to run the Oracle Database:
- Improve Oracle Real Application Clusters lock latency by 17% by offloading lock management into the Oracle Solaris kernel.
- Resize the Oracle Database SGA without a reboot.
- Observe and understand database I/O bottlenecks easily using Oracle Solaris DTrace.
- Send system audit results to the Oracle Audit Vault to simplify compliance reporting for the overall Oracle Database platform.
- Create compliance reports quickly to meet auditor requirements with OpenSCAP, a new compliance reporting tool and a Payment Card Industry profile.
- Unlock the full potential of Oracle's latest server systems with support for an unprecedented 32 TB of RAM and thousands of CPUs.
- Built-in Cloud Infastructure: New cloud infrastructure features add to Oracle Solaris 11's highly efficient built-in virtualization capabilities across system, network and storage resources and include:
- The industry's first support for the new, open standard Federated File System (FedFS) providing unified namespace for cloud-scale data environments.
- New, expanded support for Software Defined Networks (SDN), including enhancements to Edge Virtual Bridging, to maximize network resource utilization and manage bandwidth in cloud environments. New Data Center Bridging support combines Ethernet and storage networks to help save network infrastructure costs.
- Superfast Oracle Solaris Zone updates provide up to 4x performance improvements over Oracle Solaris 11 and automatic shared storage support allows customers to easily move Oracle Solaris Zones between systems.
- Extreme Availability for Enterprise Applications: The secure, highly available capabilities of Oracle Solaris Cluster combined with the built-in virtualization of Oracle Solaris 11.1 helps customers bring their most mission-critical applications into a cost effective, agile cloud environment and delivers:
- Secure, virtual deployment of Oracle Solaris 10 and 11 applications with high-speed, application driven failover in Oracle Solaris Zone clusters.
- Disaster recovery failover between geographically separated data centers with Oracle's Sun ZFS Storage Appliance replication.
- Multi-level security support for clustered environments with Oracle Solaris Trusted Extensions.
- Oracle Enterprise Manager Ops Center provides comprehensive systems management, enabling enterprise-wide, centralized control of hardware, OS and virtualization resources. Oracle Enterprise Manager Ops Center is available to Oracle Solaris customers at no additional cost under the Ops Center Everywhere Program.
- Oracle Solaris 11.1 also includes enhancements to optimize operating system performance and capabilities when deployed in an Oracle VM Server for SPARC or Oracle VM Server for x86 virtualized environment.
- Oracle will host a webcast on November 7, 2012 at 8 a.m. Pacific time on Oracle Solaris 11.1 and Oracle Solaris Cluster, featuring Markus Flierl, vice president, Oracle Solaris Engineering, Core Technology and Bill Nesheim, vice president, Oracle Solaris Engineering, Platform Software. Register here.
- Oracle Solaris 11 guarantees binary compatibility with previous Oracle Solaris versions through the Oracle Solaris Binary Application Guarantee Program, which provides customers a seamless upgrade path and the industry's best investment protection. Oracle Solaris Legacy Containers allows older Oracle Solaris environments to be brought forward onto latest generation hardware to provide power, cooling and footprint consolidation savings.
- Oracle PartnerNetwork (OPN) members can find Oracle Solaris tools and resources in the Oracle Solaris Knowledge Zone, including Oracle Solaris Ready, Oracle Solaris 11 Specialization and Oracle Solaris Development Initiative.
- Oracle Solaris Training and Oracle Solaris Cluster Training are also available to help customers and partners quickly learn how to deploy, maintain and update mission critical cloud infrastructure systems.
- "Oracle Solaris 11 is the best UNIX operating system to run Oracle applications, deploy mission critical cloud infrastructure and protect customer investments," said John Fowler, executive vice president, Systems, Oracle. "The Oracle Solaris engineering team has worked closely with the Oracle Database engineering team to deliver unique value that customers can only get from an Oracle solution. Oracle Solaris 11, Oracle's SPARC T4 servers and our engineered systems -- Oracle Exadata Database Machine, Oracle Exalogic Elastic Cloud and Oracle SPARC SuperCluster T4-4 -- offer customers the best solutions for their mission critical cloud infrastructure."
- Oracle Solaris on Oracle.com
- Oracle Solaris Cluster on Oracle.com
- Oracle Solaris on OTN
- Oracle Solaris Cluster on OTN
- Oracle Solaris 11 Training
- Oracle Solaris Cluster Training
- Oracle's Sun Server and Storage Systems
- Oracle Solaris Blog
- Connect with Oracle Solaris via Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (
About Oracle OpenWorld
Oracle OpenWorld San Francisco is the most important educational and networking event of the year for Oracle technologists, customers, and partners. This information technology event is dedicated to helping businesses optimize existing systems and understand upcoming technology breakthroughs. The conference, which draws more than 50,000 attendees from over 140 countries, offers more than 2,100 educational sessions, 400 product demos, exhibitions from 450 partners and customers showcasing applications, middleware, database, server and storage systems, industries, management and infrastructure -- all engineered for innovation. Oracle OpenWorld 2012 is being held September 30-October 4 at The Moscone Center in San Francisco. For more information please visit www.oracle.com/openworld. Watch Oracle OpenWorld keynotes, sessions and more live on YouTube. Join the Oracle OpenWorld discussion on Twitter, Facebook and the Oracle OpenWorld Blog.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. All SPARC trademarks are used under license and are trademarks or registered trademarks of SPARC International, Inc. UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
The preceding is intended to outline our general product direction. It is intended for information purposes only, and may not be incorporated into any contract. It is not a commitment to deliver any material, code, or functionality, and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions. The development, release, and timing of any features or functionality described for Oracle's products remains at the sole discretion of Oracle Corporation.