TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Sep 4, 2014) - For the second year in a row, Oxford Properties, the real estate arm of the OMERS Worldwide Group of Companies, has been recognized as an industry leader in sustainability by being ranked first in the North American Regional Diversified-Office and Retail category of the 2014 Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark ('GRESB') survey released today.
Regarded as the global standard in sustainability reporting within the real estate sector, the report measured the sustainability performance of 637 listed and private global property companies and funds, covering 56,000 buildings with an aggregate gross asset value of US$2.1 trillion. The GRESB survey and ranking is based on seven indicators: management, policy and disclosure, risks and opportunities, monitoring and environmental management systems, performance indicators, building certifications, and stakeholder engagement.
"Sustainability is ingrained in all our day-to-day decisions at Oxford. We are therefore delighted to have once again been recognized by GRESB for leading our industry in an area that is central to our company's values," said Blake Hutcheson, President and CEO, Oxford Properties. "We strive to better ourselves year-on-year in all areas of green building and energy reduction and will continue to seek to surpass not only industry expectations but, most importantly, those of our customers."
Governed by Sustainable Intelligence™, its formal program for managing and communicating sustainability performance, Oxford achieved a number of milestones in 2014 that contributed to its ongoing success in the GRESB survey:
- Increased LEED certified office space from 40% of total portfolio in 2013 to 60% as of August 31, 2014, surpassing its goal of 50% by the end of 2014
- Securing a recertification upgrade from LEED Existing Buildings Operations & Maintenance (EB:O&M) Gold to LEED (EB:O&M) Platinum at Waterpark Place I and II. The upwards EB:OM recertification to Platinum is a first for an existing building in North America
- Achieved 87% BOMA BESt certification for its retail portfolio, up from 77% in 2013
- 100% of its Hotel portfolio is certified Green Keys
- With Green Leases now as standard for office customers, Oxford is the only Canadian property firm to be named as a Green Lease Leader, a program initiated by the Institute for Market Transformation and the US Department of Energy's Better Buildings Alliance
- Industry-leading approach to engaging customers in sustainability through joint landlord-tenant green teams and events. Additionally, Oxford recognizes top performing employees in the field of sustainability each year through a series of dedicated Sustainable Intelligence awards.
For further information on Oxford's sustainability program, please visit http://sustainable.oxfordproperties.com/.
Oxford Properties Group is a global platform for real estate investment, development and management, with over 1,700 employees and $25 billion of real assets that it manages for itself and on behalf of its co-owners and investment partners. Established in 1960, Oxford has regional offices in Toronto, London and New York, and the company's portfolio includes over 80 million square feet of office, retail, industrial, multi-family and hotel properties. Oxford is the real estate arm of the OMERS Worldwide Group of Companies. For more information about Oxford visit: www.oxfordproperties.com.
GRESB is an industry-driven organization committed to assessing the sustainability performance of real estate portfolios (public, private and direct) around the globe. The dynamic benchmark is used by institutional investors to engage with their investments with the aim to improve the sustainability performance of their investment portfolio, and the global property sector at large.
- Nature & Environment
- Real Estate
- Oxford Properties