SAN JOSE, CA--(Marketwired - Jun 4, 2013) - Smartphones and tablets differ fundamentally from PCs when it comes to security. Mobile devices, while less prone to viruses and malware than PCs, are magnets for theft, in addition to being much more susceptible to real world risks such as damage and loss. In fact, an F-Secure survey found that nearly one in ten Americans have lost their mobile device or had it stolen in the previous 12 months.*
Smartphones' compact size, mobility, high value, and the sensitive and personal data stored on them, including banking information and passwords, make them prime targets. As a result, smartphone theft is reaching epidemic proportions nationwide, accounting for 30 to 40 percent of all thefts in major cities, according to recent reports.**
However, F-Secure is responding to this growing problem with the release of F-Secure Mobile Security, available for free for a limited time from the Google Play app store. Now consumers will be able to protect their personal data with the ability to remotely locate and wipe information from their mobile device, should it land in the wrong hands.
Mobile malware, and phishing in a mobile pond
Malware volumes are another area where PC and smartphone security differ. "Mobile malware is still nowhere near the volume of malware that targets PCs," said Mikko Hypponen, Chief Research Officer at F-Secure. "But it certainly exists, and we are seeing increasing commoditization that is a worrying trend."
F-Secure Labs' latest Mobile Threat Report showed a 49 percent rise in mobile malware detections in the first quarter of 2013, to 149 new threat families and variants. Android is the clear target of most threats, with 91 percent of threats aimed at it, and the other 9 percent targeting Symbian. Most Android malware is distributed via malicious apps, whereas PC malware distribution is much more varied. However, the first quarter of 2013 saw the first Android malware distribution via email, perhaps indicating the terrain is becoming more complex.
"When it comes to phishing schemes, mobile devices are more vulnerable than PCs," Hypponen commented. "For example, people commonly lose their social media passwords through their smartphones simply because it's more difficult to see the addresses and figure out if a site is real or cloned. As for browsing protection for children, it is equally necessary on a smartphone, tablet, or PC, wherever the kids have access."
Comprehensive security tailored to the demands of mobility
Given the risks, consumers must protect their mobile devices just as much as they protect their PCs. F-Secure Mobile Security is an award-winning*** security package especially designed for the security needs of smartphones and tablets. In case of loss or theft, it protects the device's personal and confidential data with remote wipe and SIM-control and helps to locate the missing device. Antivirus protects against mobile malware and alerts the user of applications that could potentially be used maliciously. Mobile Security ensures safe browsing, including phishing protection, and safeguards your identity online, protecting children from harmful web content and apps, in addition to call and SMS filtering and blocking for all.
F-Secure Mobile Security is available now in the Google Play store for a 30-day free trial, followed by an option to purchase for just $0.99 for six months. Download it today at: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsecure.ms.dc&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5mc2VjdXJlLm1zLmRjIl0.
F-Secure Mobile Security product page
F-Secure Labs Q1 2013 Mobile Threat Report
Labs Webinar on Q1 2013 Mobile Threat Report featuring Mikko Hypponen and Sean Sullivan
F-Secure - Protecting the irreplaceable
While you concentrate on what is important to you, we make sure you are protected and safe online whether you are using a computer or a smartphone. We also backup and enable you to share your important files. Our services are available through over 200 operators around the world and trusted in millions of homes and businesses. Founded in 1988, F-Secure is listed on NASDAQ OMX Helsinki Ltd.
*The F-Secure broadband survey covered web interviews of 6,400 broadband subscribers aged 20-60 years from 14 countries: France, the UK, Germany, Sweden, Finland, Italy, Spain, the Netherlands, Belgium, USA, Canada, Brazil, India and Japan. The survey was completed by GfK, 25 May-1 June 2012.
***F-Secure Mobile Security received 1st place in Mobile Security Comparative Review, January 2013. Chip Magazine (Germany)
- Technology & Electronics
- Mobile Security
- Mobile devices
LEWIS PR for F-Secure
+ 1 (415) 432-2400