LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM--(Marketwire - Nov 21, 2012) - A bike is the ideal kid''s Christmas present. Whether you''re thinking of splashing out on one of the new BMXs for 2013 for the BMX fanatic in the family, or you''re choosing your child''s first ever bike there are a few do''s and don''ts when it comes to present buying.
Here are some great tips, brought to you by Evans Cycles.
Whatever the size of the bike, it''s vitally important that you go to a specialist bike shop such as Evans Cycles. There are three reasons for this:
- They''ll make sure it''s the right size for your child
- At Evans it will have been assembled by an industry qualified expert bicycle mechanic
- You won''t have to assemble the bike yourself
Make sure it fits
You''ll get assistance on this when you head to the specialist bike shop, but it''s also important you understand all the issues when making sure the bike is the perfect fit. Get them to try a bike they should be riding for their age before trying variations both up and down from this size, until it feels right to them; and looks right to you.
Get them to sit on the saddle and hold the handlebars; they should be able to comfortably rest their feet on the ground. When holding the handlebars, their arms should be slightly bent at the elbow; if they''re straight they won''t have full control.
Test the brakes
It''s vital that they can operate the brakes fully and reach braking levels comfortably. Test whether they can pull them with enough force to stop the bike.
And here are a few don''ts….
- Don''t buy a bike they will grow into as they need to be comfortable riding it straight away
- Don''t choose the cheapest option; a quality bike along with a helmet are your first steps towards safety
By choosing one of the many kids'' bikes or bike related products from Evans Cycles not only will you find the perfect Christmas present, your child could win the chance to ride alongside 6 time Olympic gold medallist Sir Chris Hoy (along with 9 others). Now that sounds like an amazing addition to Christmas time this year!
Notes to Editors
• Founded in 1921, Evans Cycles is the UK''s largest quality cycle shop, stocking the widest range of products and brands, including Scott bikes, Cannondale and Specialized amongst others.
• Deeply passionate about cycling in all its forms, Evans'' friendly staff have expert knowledge and are happy to help out with all aspects of cycling.
• Evans celebrated its 90th anniversary in 2011, evolving from a family owned store to an award winning enterprise. Evans Cycles is now the UK''s leading bike retailer selling road bikes, mountain bikes and hybrid bikes, as well as cycling clothing and accessories.