The 2014 Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill & Ecosystem Science Conference, a forum for the research community in the Gulf of Mexico to share their latest scientific results, is pleased to announce the Conference plenary panelists. The conference, taking place in Mobile, Alabama from January 26-29, is expected to draw over 800 oil spill-related experts from academia, state & federal agencies and non-governmental organizations.
The five distinguished panelists, who will present on the final day of the Conference from 8:30-10:30 a.m., will be discussing their experience as part of the response teams during and after the 2010 Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill and offer lessons learned for the future. Each panelist will also examine how academia currently fills various advisory roles, including those specified in the Oil Pollution Act, and the potential for assuming enhanced roles in future environmental disasters.
The 2014 plenary panelists are:
- Admiral Thad Allen, Booz Allen Hamilton/23rd Commandant of the US Coast Guard
- Dr. Bernard Goldstein, University of Pittsburgh
- Dr. Jane Lubchenco, Oregon State University/Former Administrator of NOAA
- Dr. Laurence Madin, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
- Dr. Steve Murawski, University of South Florida
- Moderator: Dr. Margaret Leinen, Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative Research Board & Director of Scripps Institution of Oceanography at UC San Diego
For more information, including speaker bios, click here.
The three-day Conference will consist of 10 scientific sessions and approximately 550 abstracts for oral and poster presentations. A searchable database of accepted abstracts for oral and poster presentations is available online here. For a full Conference schedule, click here. There will also be several associated events & meetings taking place, ranging in topics from dispersants to gulf restoration to hydrocarbon analyses. For full a list of these events, click here.
The registration fee will be waived for credentialed members of the media. Please send your contact information to Kristin Kracke for details on how to complete the complimentary registration.
- Gulf of Mexico
Kristin Kracke, 202-787-1644