LAS VEGAS, NV--(Marketwired - Apr 14, 2014) - An expanded discussion of the prospects and trends in investment in legal marijuana-related businesses, plus presentations by publicly traded and pre-IPO cannabis-related companies, will be featured on the second day program on May 1 at The Growth Capital Expo 2014, at the Caesars Palace conference center in Las Vegas, NV.
Day Two of the Expo will feature an expert panel of marijuana investors, medical practitioners and entrepreneurs to address the near and mid-term prospects for legal marijuana-related business models and sectors -- including current and emerging opportunities in pharmaceuticals, botanicals, business services and consumer goods. The panel will be moderated by Troy Dayton, founder of The ArcView Group, the first angel group dedicated to legal marijuana-related investment.
Joining Mr. Dayton is:
- Justin Hartfield, The Ghost Group. Co-founder of WeedMaps.com, the first publicly traded marijuana-related company to surpass $15 million in annual sales, now an investor in marijuana-related startups. Board member of the National Cannabis Industry Association, the Marijuana Policy Project, and the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.
- Dr. Lawrence May, Tauriga Sciences. Member of Medical Advisory Board at Tauriga Sciences (
OTCQB: TAUG), a publicly traded life science holding company that is focused on proprietary biotherapeutics and diagnostics using cannabis-derived compounds. Former executive vice president for medical and scientific affairs for Herbalife International; on the clinical faculty of the UCLA medical school.
- Doug Leighton, Dutchess Capital. Co-founder and principal of Dutchess Capital, a micro-cap focused hedge fund with more than $2 billion in transactional value over a decade of investing. Now a member of the investment committee at ArcView Group, and an active investor and board member for several marijuana-related companies.
- Dr. Mark L. Rabe, Medical Marijuana Sciences. Dr. Rabe is Chairman of the Scientific Advisory Board of Medical Marijuana Sciences, a subsidiary of Nuvilex, Inc. (
OTCQB: NVLX), an international biotechnology company providing cell and gene therapy solutions for the treatment of diseases. Dr. Rabe is the former Chief Medical Officer of the largest group of physician-owned alternative medicine clinics in California.
- Khurshid Khoja, Greenbridge Corporate Counsel. In addition to leading the Cannabis & Hemp Industry practice at Greenbridge, Khurshid currently serves on the Board of Directors of the California Cannabis Industry Association and the Illinois Cannabis Industry Association. Prior to founding Greenbridge, Khurshid practiced corporate and transactional law at Thelen LLP and Reed Smith LLP.
The 60-minute panel, titled "By Popular Demand: Opportunities For Institutional Investment In Marijuana-Related Companies," will highlight a of full day of marijuana investment programming, including investor presentations by the chief executives of six publicly traded companies pursuing medical marijuana and cannabis-related strategies, including Nuvilex (
More information on the presenting companies is available on the Expo website, http://growthcapitalexpo.com/presenting-companies/.
"Day Two of this year's Growth Capital Expo is devoted entirely to the innovations in the capital markets resulting from the democratization of capital investment embodied in the JOBS Act," said Brett Goetschius, Editor and Publisher of Growth Capital Investor, and co-host of the Expo. "It's where Wall Street meets Crowd Street. And I can think of no better example where the sentiment of the crowd is driving markets harder and faster than in the area of marijuana-related goods and services. The people are speaking, with their actions, their votes and their dollars. Investors ignore them at their peril."
To make the "By Popular Demand" panel available to the widest possible audience, special reduced-price Day Two-only tickets are available online at the Expo website. The single-day ticket offers complete access to the full day of Expo programs and presentations on crowdsourced capital and investment, including the full schedule of presentations by over 50 public and private emerging growth companies. To purchase the special Day Two ticket, go to http://growthcapitalexpo.com/register.
This news release may include certain forward-looking statements. All statements, other than statements of historical fact, included in this release are forward-looking statements that involve various risks and uncertainties. There can be no assurance that such statements will prove to be accurate and actual results and future events could differ materially from those anticipated in such statements. This notice expressly qualifies all forward-looking statements in this release. The Company, through its management, makes forward-looking public statements concerning its expected future operations, performance and other developments. Such forward-looking statements are necessary estimates reflecting the Company's best judgment based upon current information and involve a number of risks and uncertainties, and there can be no assurance that other factors will not affect the accuracy of such forward-looking statements. It is impossible to identify all such factors, factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those estimated by the Company. They include, but are not limited to, government regulation, managing and maintaining growth, the effect of adverse publicity, litigation, competition and other factors, which may be identified, from time to time in the Company's public announcements.
- Health Care Industry
- Investment & Company Information
- Medical Marijuana