- To Do Tonight: Watch the New "Arrested Development." All of It. @ AllThingsD - 8 hours ago
For those of us in nearby timezones, now might be a good time to take a nap. It's going to be a long, binge-y night.
- Tumblr Porn, Tim Cook and the Problem With Big Data — 10 Things You Need to See on AllThingsD This W … @ AllThingsD - 10 hours ago
The week in AllThingsD, in one convenient post. You're welcome!
- Google Resurrects Google Buzz Public Posts @ AllThingsD - 14 hours ago
Google has come up with a new dead-product archiving scheme for a product that's already dead.
- Interview: The Summer of Larry (Ellison) Is About to Sail Into Port Via America's Cup @ AllThingsD - Fri, May 24, 2013 8:25 PM EDT
The world's premier sailing event -- marred by recent accidents -- is headed to the San Francisco Bay in July
- Why Tumblr Was a Massive Steal for Yahoo @ AllThingsD - Fri, May 24, 2013 6:12 PM EDT
Knowing that someone follows the NBA Twitter feed is nice; knowing that they hearted an animated GIF of Steph Curry hitting a three is specificity gold.
- Salesforce Shares Crash After Earnings Disappoint @ AllThingsD - Fri, May 24, 2013 5:09 PM EDT
Many analysts -- but not all -- call it a buying opportunity.
- Microsoft, Google Working Together on YouTube App for Windows Phone @ AllThingsD - Fri, May 24, 2013 4:41 PM EDT
After a brief spat, Google said Friday it is working with Microsoft to craft a YouTube app for Windows Phone that meets its terms of service. "Microsoft and YouTube are working together to update ...
- Twitter Account of U.K.'s Largest TV Network Falls to Syrian Hackers @ AllThingsD - Fri, May 24, 2013 3:40 PM EDT
A Twitter account belonging to ITV, Britain's largest TV broadcaster, is the latest victim of a hacking campaign by the Syrian Electronic Army. The network confirmed to Reuters that the account was compromised. ...
- Yet Another Hulu Bidder! Yahoo Is In, Too. @ AllThingsD - Fri, May 24, 2013 2:39 PM EDT
Add one more name to the Hulu bidding derby: Yahoo, which just announced plans to buy Tumblr for $1.1 billion, has made an offer on the video website.
- SuccessFactors CEO Dalgaard Leaving SAP in Cloud Business Shake-Up @ AllThingsD - Fri, May 24, 2013 2:13 PM EDT
Seventeen months after being acquired, the founding CEO of SuccessFactors is leaving.
- Judge in E-Book Pricing Case Thinks Apple's Going Down; Apple Begs to Differ @ AllThingsD - Fri, May 24, 2013 1:14 PM EDT
“Apple fundamentally disagrees with the judge’s preliminary comments."
- HP Taps Jim Murrin as Treasurer @ AllThingsD - Fri, May 24, 2013 1:10 PM EDT
He is replacing retiring John McMullen.
- Will Sprint-SoftBank Get Tangled in the Flag? @ AllThingsD - Fri, May 24, 2013 12:57 PM EDT
New York Sen. Charles Schumer urges "extreme caution" before allowing the Japanese company to gain a controlling stake in Sprint.
- Viral Video: More Google Glass Photographer Spoofing (The Gift That Keeps on Giving) @ AllThingsD - Fri, May 24, 2013 12:14 PM EDT
Don't try this at home (or anywhere, really)!
- CEO of India's Snapdeal: "This Is the Pivot Groupon Always Wanted to Make" @ AllThingsD - Fri, May 24, 2013 12:03 PM EDT
Is the next great e-commerce marketplace being built in India?
- Omar Khan on Security, China and the State of the Mobile Industry (Video) @ AllThingsD - Fri, May 24, 2013 12:00 PM EDT
The former Samsung and Motorola executive spoke at D: Dive Into Mobile about the broader mobile landscape and about his new gig as co-head of security firm NQ Mobile.
- Apple Pumping More Money Into Lobbying @ AllThingsD - Fri, May 24, 2013 8:30 AM EDT
And to think, a decade ago, Apple spent a little over a half a million dollars on Washington lobbying efforts ...
- Best Buy to Offer $50 Off Apple's iPhone Starting Sunday @ AllThingsD - Fri, May 24, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
The four-week promotion applies to all models of the iPhone when purchased with a new two-year contract on AT&T, Sprint or Verizon.
- That Social Media Show @ AllThingsD - Fri, May 24, 2013 2:59 AM EDT
For lack of a better verb, I think the media kind of fucked it up. – Ashton Kutcher’s current view of Twitter
- Nokia Adds New Suits in Patent Spat With HTC @ AllThingsD - Fri, May 24, 2013 12:23 AM EDT
The new actions include a second complaint to the U.S. International Trade Commission and a federal suit in Southern California. Those come on top of other legal actions that date back to last year.
- Apple's Newest iPhone Ad Still Says Nothing, Is a Little Less Great @ AllThingsD - Thu, May 23, 2013 11:23 PM EDT
Same song, new verse. But not quite as much fun this time.
- Google's End-to-End Advertising Business Draws FTC Scrutiny @ AllThingsD - Thu, May 23, 2013 7:54 PM EDT
Google is nowhere near as dominant in advertising as it is in search, but the FTC may be interested in taking a closer look at the business.
- Tremor Video Files for IPO @ AllThingsD - Thu, May 23, 2013 6:10 PM EDT
The video ad network has been looking to go public for a long time. More video IPOs likely this year.
- Jon Stewart on Tim Cook's Less-Than-Taxing Senate Reception @ AllThingsD - Thu, May 23, 2013 5:10 PM EDT
"Who are those people? What is the opposite of a Genius Bar?"
- Draw Something From This: Yahoo's Design Chief Tim Parsey to Depart @ AllThingsD - Thu, May 23, 2013 4:43 PM EDT
After stabilizing the design culture at Yahoo amid much turmoil, the well-known user experience exec leaves the sketchbook to CEO Mayer.
- Hearst Taps Demand Media's Bradford and Yucaipa's Johnson to "Redefine" the San Francisco Chronicle @ AllThingsD - Thu, May 23, 2013 3:49 PM EDT
Can the City by the Bay finally get the newspaper it deserves?
- HTC First's Trip to Europe on Hold as Facebook Works to Improve Its Home @ AllThingsD - Thu, May 23, 2013 2:26 PM EDT
After a poor reception in the U.S., Facebook has asked France Telecom and its British joint venture not to start selling the Facebook Home-equipped device, at least for now.
- Netflix Still Says "House of Cards" Did Great, but Still Won't Talk Ratings @ AllThingsD - Thu, May 23, 2013 2:25 PM EDT
It would be pretty amazing if the company said its first original show did as well as "The Walking Dead." But Netflix says it didn't say that.
- Another VC Is Born: Well-Known Internet Exec Ben Ling Joins Khosla Ventures @ AllThingsD - Thu, May 23, 2013 2:00 PM EDT
The former Google, Facebook and Badoo exec is the second high-profile Silicon Valley operating exec the VC firm has hired of late.
- Galaxy S4 Shipments Top 10 Million in First Month @ AllThingsD - Thu, May 23, 2013 1:44 PM EDT
A massive amount of product to move in the first month after the device's commercial debut.
- Jawbone Hires Microsoft's Mindy Mount as President to Turbocharge Ops @ AllThingsD - Thu, May 23, 2013 1:00 PM EDT
A new leader for the high-profile gadget maker.
- Ashton Kutcher Dishes on the Mobile Market and What's on His Phone @ AllThingsD - Thu, May 23, 2013 12:58 PM EDT
Not surprisingly, Kutcher is a big fan of Flipboard, Path and Couple -- all companies he has invested in.
- Apple's WWDC Keynote Scheduled for Monday, June 10 @ AllThingsD - Thu, May 23, 2013 12:37 PM EDT
Apple today said the keynote address for its annual Worldwide Developers Conference will occur at 10 AM PT Monday, June 10, at Moscone Center in San Francisco. Not a big surprise, as that is the day the ...
- Yahoo Hires Longtime McKinsey Exec DeVine to Head Global Ops @ AllThingsD - Thu, May 23, 2013 12:18 PM EDT
Exec ho! A new big hire at Yahoo.
- Like That TV Ad You Just Saw? Twitter Wants to Show You Another One. @ AllThingsD - Thu, May 23, 2013 11:58 AM EDT
Twitter makes another play for TV ad money, with "TV ad targeting."
- Yahoo Scoops Up Another Small Startup: Gaming Platform PlayerScale @ AllThingsD - Thu, May 23, 2013 10:58 AM EDT
Yahoo said it had bought PlayerScale, a small gaming infrastructure startup for cross-platform gaming. Yahoo has been on a bit of a tear in buying up small companies for low prices, to strengthen its talent ...
- Is HP's Turnaround Strategy Sustainable? @ AllThingsD - Thu, May 23, 2013 10:40 AM EDT
Time is not on HP's side, analysts say.
- Q&A: "The Internship" Director Shawn Levy on Making a Feel-Good Movie About Google @ AllThingsD - Thu, May 23, 2013 10:00 AM EDT
What happens when you bring the "Wedding Crashers" dudes to the fictional -- but also non-fictional -- Googleplex.
- With New Mobile App, Nextdoor Unveils Its Take on the Neighborhood Watch @ AllThingsD - Thu, May 23, 2013 9:00 AM EDT
Radios and neighborhood patrols are so last year.
- Ireland Denies Giving Apple Any Special Tax Deal @ AllThingsD - Thu, May 23, 2013 7:03 AM EDT
"Just because you heard it yesterday in a Senate committee doesn’t mean ... it’s factually correct."
- Square Expands into Asia With Japan Launch @ AllThingsD - Thu, May 23, 2013 5:59 AM EDT
Square, the digital payments company, is launching in Japan, the company announced on Thursday. Japanese merchants can get a Square Reader for free and start accepting payments with it for 3.25% of each ...
- Q&A With HP CEO Meg Whitman and CFO Cathie Lesjak: The Turnaround Is on Schedule @ AllThingsD - Wed, May 22, 2013 8:41 PM EDT
All is going according to plan.
- Square Loses Two Execs, Including One Out Before His First Day on the Job @ AllThingsD - Wed, May 22, 2013 6:23 PM EDT
Executive turnover continues at the high-profile online payments company.
- HP's Turnaround Progress Slow but Sure, Says CEO Whitman @ AllThingsD - Wed, May 22, 2013 4:49 PM EDT
“We are fixing a lot of the problems that are keeping HP from being great."
- HP's Q2 Earnings Beat Expectations on Weak Sales @ AllThingsD - Wed, May 22, 2013 4:16 PM EDT
Better profits, weaker sales.
- Apple Hires Tech Analyst Michael Gartenberg @ AllThingsD - Wed, May 22, 2013 4:05 PM EDT
Veteran tech analyst Michael Gartenberg is jumping the fence to work for a company he has spent decades covering during stints at Gartner, Altimeter and Jupiter Research. Forbes reports, and AllThingsD ...
- After Months of Hacks, Twitter Launches Heightened Security Features @ AllThingsD - Wed, May 22, 2013 3:35 PM EDT
A new form of identity verification could help deter account hackers.
- Next Up for Google X, Airborne Wind Turbines: Google Acquires Makani Power @ AllThingsD - Wed, May 22, 2013 3:12 PM EDT
Google has acquired Makani Power, which makes wind turbines that fly like kites, for its Google X unit, Bloomberg Businessweek reported and Makani confirmed. Google had previously invested directly in ...
- Verizon Wireless, Jennifer Lopez Partner to Launch Viva Movil, Mobile Retailer Aimed at Latino Marke … @ AllThingsD - Wed, May 22, 2013 2:26 PM EDT
Lopez serves as creative chief and majority owner of Viva Movil, which will offer its own stores but carry standard phones.
- Xbox One Joins the Gamecasting Fray With Social Game DVR @ AllThingsD - Wed, May 22, 2013 11:00 AM EDT
Boom, headshot! Boom, my Xbox recorded a video of that headshot automatically!