- German Merck to buy St. Louis-based Sigma-Aldrich Associated Press - 6 minutes ago
FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) — German drug company Merck says it has agreed to buy St. Louis-based chemical firm Sigma-Aldrich Corp. for $17 billion in a deal Merck says will strengthen its business in chemicals and laboratory equipment.
- Auxilium Pharma rejects Endo's takeover offer Associated Press - 29 minutes ago
Auxilium Pharmaceuticals Inc.'s board has rejected an approximately $1.4 billion unsolicited takeover offer from Ireland's Endo International PLC. Auxilium, based in Chesterbrook, Pennsylvania, had adopted ...
- More drought forecast next year across West Associated Press - 34 minutes ago
Forecasters say severe drought or worse will continue into next year across much of the West, including parts of western Utah, most of Nevada and practically all of California. Below-normal precipitation ...
- Ahead of the Bell: US home sales Associated Press - 1 hour 30 minutes ago
The National Association of Realtors reports on sales of existing homes in August. The report is scheduled to be released Monday at 10 a.m. Eastern. SALES DROP: Economists expect that sales came in at ...
- Hong Kong students on strike in democracy battle Associated Press - 1 hour 46 minutes ago
- Tesco suspends execs over inflated profit report Associated Press - 2 hours 12 minutes ago
LONDON (AP) — Tesco, Britain's largest retailer by revenue, has suspended four executives and launched an accounting investigation after admitting that its half-year profit was overstated by 250 million pounds ($407 million).
- Affluence eludes poor crowding into Asian cities Associated Press - 3 hours ago
- China, US, India push world carbon emissions up Associated Press - 3 hours ago
- German employers struggle to find apprentices Associated Press - 3 hours ago
- World stock markets slip on China growth jitters Associated Press - 3 hours ago
- German Amazon workers on strike for higher pay Associated Press - 4 hours ago
BERLIN (AP) — Workers at four of Amazon.com's German distribution centers have started a two-day strike in a long-running dispute over wages.
- US firm in China meat scandal lays off 340 staff Associated Press - 7 hours ago
A U.S. meat supplier said Monday it is laying off most of the workforce of a Chinese subsidiary accused of selling expired beef and chicken to McDonald's, KFC and other major restaurant chains. Shanghai ...
- UAW workers in Indiana approve Lear Corp. contract Associated Press - 12 hours ago
Workers at a Lear Corp. plant in northwestern Indiana that makes automotive seats approved an agreement Sunday that will end a two-tiered pay system that left some workers earning much less than others. ...
- Western Mexico state reports new mine spill Associated Press - 13 hours ago
CANANEA, Mexico (AP) — Authorities in northern Mexico have issued a new alert of a toxic spill in the Sonora River basin from a copper mine operated by Grupo Mexico, the state director of civil protection said Sunday.
- Rivers leads Chargers to 22-10 win over Bills Associated Press - 13 hours ago
- Gov. Brown signs clean-air vehicle legislation Associated Press - 14 hours ago
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Gov. Jerry Brown signed into law several bills designed to boost use of clean-air vehicles in California.
- 'Maze Runner' races past 'Tombstones' with $32.5 M Associated Press - 14 hours ago
- Cost of shutting down Wolf Creek could top $1B Associated Press - 17 hours ago
Shutting down the Wolf Creek nuclear power plant could cost as much $1 billion when it reaches the end of its useful life about 30 years from now, according to a new report. The cost is recalculated every ...
- UAW workers to vote on proposed Lear Corp contract Associated Press - 18 hours ago
Workers at a northwestern Indiana Lear Corp. plant that makes automotive seats are preparing to vote on a tentative agreement that ended a one-day strike. United Auto Workers spokesman Sam Knowles says ...
- With Alibaba's big debut, 10 things to know Associated Press - 18 hours ago
- Chinese town protests over trash incinerator Associated Press - 20 hours ago
BEIJING (AP) — Residents of a town in southern China who oppose a planned trash incinerator have protested for a second weekend and the local government promised not to proceed without public approval.
- German families to sue Ukraine over MH17 crash Associated Press - 22 hours ago
German relatives of three people killed in the downing of Malaysia Airline Flight 17 plan to sue Ukraine for negligence, a lawyer for the families said Sunday. Weekly Bild am Sonntag reported that lawyer ...
- Spanish judge indicts 9 persons for cyber fraud Associated Press - Sun, Sep 21, 2014 6:31 AM EDT
MADRID (AP) — A Spanish judge charged nine people with fraud Sunday for allegedly participating in the theft of $45 million after a massive hacking of a bank's card payments system.
- SpaceX launches 3-D printer, other station gear Associated Press - Sun, Sep 21, 2014 3:49 AM EDT
- G-20 says close to goal of $2 trillion in growth Associated Press - Sun, Sep 21, 2014 12:58 AM EDT
Finance chiefs from the 20 largest economies said on Sunday they are close to reaching their goal of boosting world GDP by more than $2 trillion over the next five years, and will focus on infrastructure ...
- China says 88 fugitives returned from abroad Associated Press - Sun, Sep 21, 2014 12:08 AM EDT
BEIJING (AP) — China's police ministry on Sunday said 88 fugitives wanted on charges of corruption and other economic offenses have been extradited or returned on their own from the United States and other countries in the midst of an anti-graft crackdown.
- Deal inked for North Slope LNG plant Associated Press - Sat, Sep 20, 2014 6:56 PM EDT
The effort to truck North Slope natural gas to the Fairbanks area for home heating and electricity generation is closer to fruition. The Alaska Industrial Development and Export Authority announced Friday ...
- GM recalls 221,558 sedans for fire risk Associated Press - Sat, Sep 20, 2014 6:11 PM EDT
General Motors is recalling 221,558 Cadillac XTS and Chevrolet Impala sedans because the brake pads can stay partially engaged even when they're not needed, increasing the risk of a fire. The recall involves ...
- Manufacturing in Ohio seeing slow, steady growth Associated Press - Sat, Sep 20, 2014 4:25 PM EDT
- 2-day iHeartRadio festival kicks off on Las Vegas Associated Press - Sat, Sep 20, 2014 3:50 PM EDT
- Oculus unveils new prototype VR headset Associated Press - Sat, Sep 20, 2014 3:27 PM EDT
- Oklahoma City oil producer unveils new formation Associated Press - Sat, Sep 20, 2014 3:14 PM EDT
An Oklahoma City-based energy company has unveiled a new formation in south-central Oklahoma that the company's CEO said will elevate the state as an oil producer. Continental Resources Inc. said western ...
- 2016 may loom, but Jeb Bush is focused on business Associated Press - Sat, Sep 20, 2014 2:26 PM EDT
- Investigators at loss to explain Air Algerie crash Associated Press - Sat, Sep 20, 2014 2:19 PM EDT
- Lawmakers wary of university budget proposal Associated Press - Sat, Sep 20, 2014 2:16 PM EDT
While some New Hampshire lawmakers like the idea freezing in-state tuition at public colleges for another two years, they aren't ready to increase funding for the university system by 34 percent. After ...
- Norwich University launches $100m campaign Associated Press - Sat, Sep 20, 2014 2:15 PM EDT
Norwich University has kicked off a $100 million, five-year fundraising campaign more than halfway to the goal that organizers hope to reach by the time of the Northfield school's bicentennial in 2019. ...
- A quick look at manufacturing jobs in Ohio Associated Press - Sat, Sep 20, 2014 12:43 PM EDT
Annual number of manufacturing employees in Ohio since 2000: ___ 2000 — 1,023,000 2001 — 955,000 2002 — 884,000 2003 — 845,000 2004 — 823,000 2005 — 812,000 2006 — 796,000 2007 — 771,000 2008 — 739,000 ...
- Guyana reports slight drop in deforestation rate Associated Press - Sat, Sep 20, 2014 12:07 PM EDT
GEORGETOWN, Guyana (AP) — Guyana's environment ministry says the country saw less deforestation in 2013 thanks to a decrease in gold mining activity.
- Chrysler recalling nearly 189,000 SUVs Associated Press - Sat, Sep 20, 2014 9:50 AM EDT
DETROIT (AP) — Chrysler is recalling almost 189,000 Jeep Grand Cherokees and Dodge Durangos in the U.S. to fix a fuel pump problem that can cause the SUVs to stall.
- Guilty verdict in peanut trial should send warning Associated Press - Sat, Sep 20, 2014 9:17 AM EDT
- At a Glance: the business dealings of Jeb Bush Associated Press - Sat, Sep 20, 2014 8:29 AM EDT
- 5 ways to protect yourself from data breaches Associated Press - Sat, Sep 20, 2014 5:40 AM EDT
- India, China quietly struggle in Indian Ocean Associated Press - Sat, Sep 20, 2014 5:40 AM EDT
NEW DELHI (AP) — At first glance, it looks like a diplomatic love-fest. There was Chinese President Xi Jinping, toasting the birthday of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi in a quiet dinner earlier this week in Modi's home state. There were the two leaders, deep in conversation as they walked along the Sabarmati River, …
- Alibaba stock soars in jubilant trading debut Associated Press - Sat, Sep 20, 2014 12:55 AM EDT
- Mentor swears in new Southeast Asia ambassador Associated Press - Fri, Sep 19, 2014 7:44 PM EDT
A newly appointed U.S. ambassador on Friday honored one of her first mentors, a federal appellate judge whom she chose to administer her oath of office. Judge Harry Pregerson, who is 91 and one of the ...
- Governor: Montana can cut carbon, keep jobs Associated Press - Fri, Sep 19, 2014 7:39 PM EDT
- OSHA investigates death of elephant caretaker Associated Press - Fri, Sep 19, 2014 7:39 PM EDT
PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — Federal workplace safety officials have launched an investigation into the death of a Maine man who was crushed by one of the two elephants in his care.
- 3 guilty in Ga. salmonella-tainted peanut trial Associated Press - Fri, Sep 19, 2014 7:36 PM EDT
- Ultimate leaving New Jersey online gambling market Associated Press - Fri, Sep 19, 2014 7:33 PM EDT
- Production at Arizona factory at standstill Associated Press - Fri, Sep 19, 2014 6:58 PM EDT
The production of pet food at a Flagstaff factory where an explosion injured four contract workers isn't expected to resume for several weeks. Officials from Nestlé Purina said Friday that the ingredient ...