- Yahoo Board Approves Purchase of Tumblr, WSJ Journal Says @ Bloomberg - 45 minutes ago
Yahoo! Inc.’s board has approved a $1.1 billion acquisition of Tumblr Inc., a service that hosts 108 million blogs, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing unidentified people familiar with the matter....
- Canada Prime Minister’s Staffer Leaves Amid Payment Probe @ Bloomberg - 1 hour 0 minutes ago
Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s chief of staff, Nigel Wright, resigned today amid an ethics probe of his role in repaying housing expenses claimed by Conservative Senator Mike Duffy.
- Manhattan Heat Deaths Seen Rising 20% in 2020s as Climate Warms @ Bloomberg - 1 hour 18 minutes ago
Manhattan may see deaths from heat rise by as much as 20 percent in the 2020s and 90 percent by the 2080s in a worst-case scenario, a study found.
- Enbridge Cleans Up 2,500-Barrel Crude Leak in Oklahoma @ Bloomberg - 1 hour 23 minutes ago
Enbridge Energy Partners is cleaning up a leak of about 2,500 barrels of crude oil yesterday at its Cushing terminal in Oklahoma.
- ‘Star Trek’ Sequel Opens as Top Weekend Film With $70.6 Million @ Bloomberg - 1 hour 59 minutes ago
“Star Trek Into Darkness,” the second film in J.J. Abrams reboot of the venerable film franchise, was the top movie at U.S. and Canadian theaters this weekend, taking in $70.6 million for Paramount Pictures....
- Gains in China New-Home Prices Signal Growth Challenge for Li @ Bloomberg - 2 hours 17 minutes ago
China’s new-home prices rose last month in 68 out of 70 cities tracked by the government, indicating Premier Li Keqiang will need to maintain efforts to cool the property market even as economic growth ...
- Singapore’s Changi Airport Seeks Growth With Gold, Tuna @ Bloomberg - 2 hours 18 minutes ago
Changi Airport, Southeast Asia’s largest freight airfield, plans to attract more gold bars, tuna and vaccines to Singapore as it seeks to increase handling of high-value cargo to make up for slowing trade....
- China Small-Cap Bubble Seen Bursting by Chen After 43% Advance @ Bloomberg - 2 hours 18 minutes ago
Chen Li, the UBS AG strategist who predicted the tumble in China’s smallest shares two years ago, says the companies are poised to retreat again after valuations rose to the biggest premium over larger ...
- Metro-North Removes Most of Damaged Train Cars in Connecticut @ Bloomberg - 2 hours 33 minutes ago
Metro-North Railroad said it removed most of the damaged cars from a train derailment and collision in Connecticut that sent dozens of rush-hour commuters to the hospital.
- Nissan Expands in Japan’s Minicar Market With First Joint Model @ Bloomberg - 3 hours ago
Nissan Motor Co. will start selling the first minicar it jointly developed with Mitsubishi Motors Corp. in Japan next month amid increasing demand from the nation’s consumers for smaller and cheaper vehicles....
- Fertility Clinic Virtus Seeks Expansion in Asia, Deals After IPO @ Bloomberg - 4 hours ago
Virtus Health Pty is planning an Asia-Pacific and Middle East expansion as well as seeking acquisitions after an initial public offering said to have raised A$338 million ($329 million), Australia’s largest ...
- Aldar Properties, Sorouh Surge Most Since 2005: Abu Dhabi Mover @ Bloomberg - 4 hours ago
Aldar Properties PJSC and Sorouh Real Estate PJSC, the Abu Dhabi companies set to merge next months, soared the most in almost eight years.
- White House Warns Against IRS ‘Fishing Expedition’ @ Bloomberg - 5 hours ago
President Barack Obama will not cooperate in a “partisan fishing expedition” over who knew what and when about revelations that groups seeking tax-exempt status were subject to extra Internal Revenue Service ...
- Yanzhou Coal Hires Deutsche Bank, UBS for Securities Sale @ Bloomberg - 5 hours ago
Yanzhou Coal Mining Company Ltd. plans to sell dollar-denominated subordinated securities and will begin a series of roadshows for institutional investors starting Monday, May 20.
- Delek Drilling, Avner Decline on Export Concerns: Tel Aviv Mover @ Bloomberg - 5 hours ago
Delek Drilling-LP and Avner Oil Exploration LLP led declines on Israel’s benchmark index on concern uncertainty on government-imposed export quotas would hinder further development of offshore gas fields....
- Dubai Rises in Longest Set of Gains Since 2011 on Recovery Bets @ Bloomberg - 6 hours ago
Dubai’s benchmark stock index rose for a ninth day in its longest winning streak in more than two years on investor optimism the emirate is recovering from a property crash and restructuring debt. Abu ...
- HSBC Says Israel’s Fischer Isn’t Finished Cutting Rates @ Bloomberg - 7 hours ago
Bank of Israel Governor Stanley Fischer, who last week unexpectedly cut the benchmark interest rate to a three-year low, may not be done yet, according to Jonathan Katz, an economist at HSBC Holdings Plc....
- Barclays Names Hammoud as Head of Wealth Management in Abu Dhabi @ Bloomberg - 9 hours ago
Barclays Plc named Haidar Hammoud head of wealth and investment management in Abu Dhabi as Britain’s second-biggest lender seeks to tap high net-worth individuals in the emirate, holder of about 6 percent ...
- Amari Urges to Boost JGB Credibility to Cap Yield Spike @ Bloomberg - 10 hours ago
Japan’s government must demonstrate a commitment to fiscal rehabilitation to boost the credibility of government bonds and prevent a spike in long-term yields as soaring stocks damp the allure of the nation’s ...
- CORRECT: Saudi Modern, Malaysia Drugmaker Plan to Build Plants @ Bloomberg - 11 hours ago
(Corrects name of company in headline and first paragraph of story first published yesterday.)
- Aquino’s New Philippine Senate Majority Boosts Political Mandate @ Bloomberg - 12 hours ago
Philippine President Benigno Aquino won control of the 24-member Senate in mid-term elections, giving him a political boost as he starts the process of choosing his successor.
- Seattle’s Best to Open Stores in Wal-Mart Parking Lots @ Bloomberg - 13 hours ago
Seattle’s Best Coffee, the chain owned by Starbucks Corp., tomorrow will open 10 new locations mostly in Wal-Mart Stores Inc. parking lots, in what will be the biggest one-day opening event ever for the ...
- Home Sales Probably Rose Toward 2009 High: U.S. Economy Preview @ Bloomberg - 14 hours ago
Home sales probably rose in April to the highest level in more than three years, extending gains in residential real estate that are giving the U.S. expansion a lift, economists said before reports this ...
- Yudhoyono Calls on Freeport to Intensify Mine Rescue Efforts @ Bloomberg - 15 hours ago
Indonesia’s President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono called on Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc. to step up rescue efforts at the world’s second-largest copper mine, where 23 people are unaccounted for after ...
- Fertility Clinic Virtus Seeks Expansion in Asia, M&A After IPO @ Bloomberg - 15 hours ago
Virtus Health Pty, which raised A$338 million ($329 million) in Australia’s largest initial public offering this year, is seeking acquisitions as well as an Asia- Pacific and Middle East expansion.
- Blankfein Tells Welt Euro Breakup Risk Is Lower Than a Year Ago @ Bloomberg - 18 hours ago
Goldman Sachs Group Inc. Chief Executive Officer Lloyd C. Blankfein told a German newspaper the risk of a euro-region breakup or member country bankruptcy is lower than a year ago as the political will ...
- U.K. Treasury Says Banks Too Big to Save in Independent Scotland @ Bloomberg - 19 hours ago
An independent Scotland would have a banking system too big to save in the event of a crisis, the U.K. Treasury said in a study into the economic implications of the nation breaking away from the rest ...
- Mellanox Jumps on CEO-Chair Split Vote: Israel Overnight @ Bloomberg - 21 hours ago
Mellanox Technologies Ltd., the Israeli software developer down 52 percent from last year’s peak, is gaining on speculation shareholders will endorse splitting the chairman and chief executive roles to ...
- Aston Sets $4.85 Million Record, Mouse Nest DB5 $486,469 @ Bloomberg - 23 hours ago
An Aston Martin DB4 set an auction record of $4.85 million for the “James Bond” maker last night as even wrecks found in barns sold for above-estimate prices.
- Connecticut Commuter Crash Mangles Lines, Hampers Train Traffic @ Bloomberg - Sat, May 18, 2013 2:00 PM EDT
Connecticut and federal authorities told commuters to make alternate plans while asking for patience as investigators pore over the site of a Metro-North rush-hour train derailment that left three people ...
- Lundbeck’s Brintellix Is More Effective in Higher Dose in Study @ Bloomberg - Sat, May 18, 2013 1:41 PM EDT
H. Lundbeck A/S, Denmark’s second- largest drugmaker, said its experimental antidepressant Brintellix improved symptoms better in a higher dose in a late- stage U.S. study, as the medicine awaits regulatory ...
- Nigeria LNG Told to Pay Maritime Levy After Government Ruling @ Bloomberg - Sat, May 18, 2013 12:50 PM EDT
Nigeria LNG Ltd. was directed to pay outstanding levies to the country’s maritime regulator after a state arbitration panel ruled the operator of Africa’s biggest liquefied natural gas export terminal ...
- Club-Drug Ketamine Relieves Depression in Largest Patient Study @ Bloomberg - Sat, May 18, 2013 12:00 PM EDT
The hallucinogen ketamine relieved symptoms of hard-to-treat depression within a day of treatment, in the largest study yet of the popular club drug’s use in psychiatry.
- Moscow Introduces Paid Parking Downtown to Combat Congestion @ Bloomberg - Sat, May 18, 2013 11:47 AM EDT
Moscow, Europe’s largest city, is introducing paid parking downtown to combat one of the world’s worst congestion levels.
- U.K. Listing Authority to Publish New Entry Rules in July @ Bloomberg - Sat, May 18, 2013 11:44 AM EDT
The U.K. Listing Authority will publish new rules in July for companies seeking a share offering or that already list securities in the country, Financial Services Authority spokesman Chris Hamilton said....
- Saudi Stocks Rise Most in 4 Months, Led by Property Companies @ Bloomberg - Sat, May 18, 2013 11:09 AM EDT
Saudi Arabia’s benchmark stock index gained the most in more than four months, led by real estate developers and petrochemical companies.
- Philippine Bourse to Boost Trading With New Products, Sicat Says @ Bloomberg - Sat, May 18, 2013 5:34 AM EDT
Philippine Stock Exchange President Hans Sicat, who has been elected for a third term, said the bourse will focus in the next 12 months on introducing new products to boost trading in one of Asia’s smallest ...
- BP, Transocean Are Sued by Texas Over 2010 Gulf Oil Spill @ Bloomberg - Sat, May 18, 2013 2:49 AM EDT
Texas sued BP Plc, Transocean Ltd. and others involved in the 2010 oil spill, calling it the “worst environmental disaster” in U.S. history and becoming the fifth Gulf of Mexico state to file claims.
- Wells Fargo Rises to Record Close as Home Market Rebounds @ Bloomberg - Sat, May 18, 2013 2:48 AM EDT
Wells Fargo & Co., the largest U.S. home lender and the nation’s most valuable bank, closed at a record high yesterday as strength in the economy and housing markets spurred buyers.
- Hong Kong Lawmakers Quiz Former Anti-Corruption Agency Chief @ Bloomberg - Sat, May 18, 2013 2:00 AM EDT
Hong Kong lawmakers adjourned a public hearing today attended by Timothy Tong, the former head of the city’s anti-graft body being investigated for corruption, expressing dissatisfaction with his answers ...
- Republicans Unsatisfied by IRS Answers Press for More @ Bloomberg - Sat, May 18, 2013 2:00 AM EDT
House lawmakers say ousted Internal Revenue Service chief Steven Miller failed to fully explain why he didn’t inform them for more than a year that small-government groups seeking tax-exempt status were ...
- Bertelli Seeks Improved America’s Cup Safety After Sailor Death @ Bloomberg - Sat, May 18, 2013 12:01 AM EDT
The owner of the Italian sailing team Luna Rossa said safety needs to be improved at the America’s Cup races following the training death of Olympic yachtsman Andrew Simpson.
- Kings Sold to Sacramento Group Led by NBA’s First Indian Owner @ Bloomberg - Sat, May 18, 2013 12:01 AM EDT
The Sacramento Kings were sold to a group led by software billionaire Vivek Ranadive, who will become the first Indian-born owner in National Basketball Association history.
- Colorado Sheriffs Sue Over State’s New Gun Control Laws @ Bloomberg - Sat, May 18, 2013 12:01 AM EDT
Sheriffs of 54 Colorado counties sued Governor John Hickenlooper, seeking to block state laws that ban ammunition magazines holding more than 15 rounds and require background checks for gun sales and loans....
- Arkansas Law Limiting Abortions at 12th Week Is Blocked @ Bloomberg - Sat, May 18, 2013 12:01 AM EDT
A federal judge temporarily blocked an Arkansas law limiting a woman’s right to an abortion at the 12th week of pregnancy if a fetal heartbeat can be detected.
- PokerStars Loses Court Bid for Atlantic City Casino Sale @ Bloomberg - Sat, May 18, 2013 12:01 AM EDT
PokerStars was denied its request to keep alive a $15 million offer to purchase the Atlantic Club Casino Hotel in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
- Mexico’s Grupo Hevi Said to Hire Barclays to Explore Sale @ Bloomberg - Sat, May 18, 2013 12:01 AM EDT
Grupo Hevi, the closely held owner of Mexico’s Telecable TV service, has hired Barclays Plc to explore a sale, according to people familiar with the matter.
- Yahoo Said to Discuss Acquiring Tumblr to Add Popular Blog Tools @ Bloomberg - Sat, May 18, 2013 12:01 AM EDT
Yahoo! Inc. is in talks to buy Tumblr Inc., a service that hosts 108 million blogs, a person with knowledge of the matter said, a deal that could help the biggest U.S. Web portal lure users and advertisers....
- DirecTV Is Said to Be Considering Acquiring Part or All of Hulu @ Bloomberg - Sat, May 18, 2013 12:01 AM EDT
DirecTV, the largest U.S. satellite TV provider, is interested in acquiring at least a stake in online-video site Hulu LLC, according to two people with knowledge of the situation.
- Yahoo’s Mayer Said to Be Preparing Updates for Flickr Photo Site @ Bloomberg - Sat, May 18, 2013 12:01 AM EDT
Yahoo! Inc. Chief Executive Officer Marissa Mayer will unveil updates to the company’s Flickr photo- sharing site at a press event in New York scheduled for May 20, according to a person familiar with ...