- Stocks surge as Fed green lights taper; record closes for Dow, S&P 500 @ CNBC - 34 minutes ago
U.S. stocks surged on Wednesday, with the S&P 500 and Dow industrials closing at records, after the Federal Reserve moved to cut stimulus.
- [video] Commodities tomorrow: Gold's volatile day @ CNBC - 1 hour 37 minutes ago
CNBC's Sharon Epperson discusses the day's activity in the commodities markets. Gold had a volatile day, in light of the Fed's decision to taper. Natural gas inventories come out tomorrow and could drive ...
- RIP: 'Most extreme monetary policy in a century' @ CNBC - 1 hour 38 minutes ago
After months of speculation, the Federal Reserve, citing a stronger economy, said today it will cut its monthly bond buys to $75 billion from $85 billion.
- Fed hits a home run! Stocks rally on taper verdict @ CNBC - 1 hour 40 minutes ago
The Fed is finally starting to convince investors that tapering does not imply tightening, and stocks are flying higher.
- Jury finds SAC Capitol Advisors' Michael Steinberg guilty @ CNBC - 1 hour 41 minutes ago
A jury found SAC Capital Advisors portfolio manager Michael Steinberg guilty on all five counts of securities fraud and conspiracy to commit securities fraud for trades in Dell Inc and Nvidia Corp that ...
- Tax break primes Tesla for increased production @ CNBC - 1 hour 58 minutes ago
Electric carmaker Tesla Motors is positioning to expand output after getting a $34.7 million tax break from California.
- [video] Fed Tapers: Bond market unchanged, equities not listening @ CNBC - 1 hour 59 minutes ago
CNBC's Rick Santelli discusses the Fed's decision to taper and its direct effect on the Treasury market. Steve Liesman says, "Essentially the bond market is unchanged, not sure the equity market was ...
- [video] Bernanke: Quantitatively, ending benefits not economically large @ CNBC - 2 hours 8 minutes ago
Fed chairman Ben Bernanke discusses long-term unemployment and the economic impact of ending extended unemployment benefits. "Overall it could have a very small effect on the measured unemployment ...
- Abandon ship! Four Obamacare bosses bolt @ CNBC - 2 hours 13 minutes ago
Four out of the 15 chiefs of Obamacare exchanges run by states and the District of Columbia have either quit or gone on leave in recent weeks.
- [video] Bernanke: Fed was slow to recognize crisis @ CNBC - 2 hours 21 minutes ago
Fed chairman Ben Bernanke says, in retrospect, the Fed was slow to recognize the financial crises, but is now better prepared to handle future financial events.
- El-Erian: Fed taper begins-what happens next? @ CNBC - 2 hours 22 minutes ago
Pimco's Mohamed El-Erian offers four key takeaways from the Fed meeting that may shed light on what's ahead.
- [video] Bernanke: Fed helped speed recovery, put people to work @ CNBC - 2 hours 24 minutes ago
Fed chairman Ben Bernanke says he has increased the transparency and accountability of the Federal Reserve, and Fed policy helped the economy recover more quickly.
- Chew and Brew: Dogfish beer for Deadheads @ CNBC - 2 hours 28 minutes ago
Dogfish Head Craft Brewery lives up to its motto, "off-centered ales for off-centered people," with its latest beer, American Beauty.
- [video] Bernanke: Disappointed in pace of growth @ CNBC - 2 hours 32 minutes ago
Fed chairman Ben Bernanke addresses job creation and why the economy has not produced more jobs. Compared to other countries the U.S. recovery has been better than most, but is still somewhat tepid, Bernanke ...
- Fed taper positive sign for economy, bad for bonds @ CNBC - 2 hours 43 minutes ago
The surprise decision by the Federal Reserve to slow down its bond buying program was greeted by markets as a sign the economy is improving, a longer term bearish omen for bonds but a positive for stocks ...
- Gold ends higher; traders stop running from taper @ CNBC - 2 hours 47 minutes ago
Gold futures settled higher on Wednesday after the Federal Reserve said it would begin tapering its bond-buying program to $75 billion a month.
- Ford profit warning clears the deck for 2014 @ CNBC - 2 hours 49 minutes ago
Why is Ford issuing a surprise profit warning now? The answer is all about timing.
- [video] Bernanke: Will remain data-dependent @ CNBC - 2 hours 55 minutes ago
CNBC's Steve Liesman asks Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke whether the U.S. can expect bond purchase reduction increments of $10 billion going forward, and why Bernanke does not announce an ideal ...
- Bernanke: Will likely reduce bond buys in 'further measured steps' at future meetings @ CNBC - 3 hours ago
In the Federal Reserve's last press conference of the year, Chairman Ben Bernanke said the Fed will likely reduce bond buys in "further measured steps" at future meetings. The Fed will also maintain ...
- [video] Bernanke: Will modestly reduce purchases pace @ CNBC - 3 hours ago
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke says the "economy is continuing to make progress" and, as a result, the Fed will modestly reduce bond purchases in January. Bernanke also addresses unemployment, ...
- Live blog: The Fed begins its taper @ CNBC - 3 hours ago
The Fed has started to taper its bond buying program.
- [video] Bill Gross: Expect 2-3% economy next year @ CNBC - 3 hours ago
Pimco's co-CIO Bill Gross looks ahead to the global economy in 2014. He says a major headwind for the economy is the "leverage within the system."
- [video] Bill Gross: Policy rate at firm 25 basis points into 2016 @ CNBC - 3 hours ago
Pimco's co-CIO Bill Gross reacts to the Fed's decision to taper its bond purchases. He says his firm remains skeptical on the Fed's approach relative to a cyclical economy being boosted by asset prices....
- QE: The greatest subsidy to the rich ever? @ CNBC - 3 hours ago
The largesse of the Federal Reserve over the past five years has amounted to one of the largest ever subsidies to the American wealthy.
- [video] Gold plunged post-Fed; Rallied back up @ CNBC - 3 hours ago
CNBC's Sharon Epperson reports gold plunged immediately after the Fed's taper announcement, then rallied higher.
- [video] Santelli: Not a taper, just a 't' @ CNBC - 3 hours ago
CNBC's Rick Santelli provides insight on what traders at the CME Group are saying about the Fed's decision to taper $10 billion.
- Fed to taper bond buying by $10 billion a month @ CNBC - 1 hour 29 minutes ago
The Federal Reserve said Wednesday it would start to taper its bond-buying program to $75 billion a month.
- Here's what changed in new Fed statement @ CNBC - 3 hours ago
This is a comparison of today's FOMC statement with the statement issued after the Fed's previous policy-making meeting on October 30, 2013.
- Fed begins $10 billion taper; stocks up slightly; Treasuries extend losses @ CNBC - 3 hours ago
The Federal Reserve said Wednesday it would start to taper its bond-buying program to $75 billion a month.
- [video] Fed taper 'somewhat negative' for bonds: Pro @ CNBC - 3 hours ago
The Fed announced a $10 billion reduction in its bond purchases. David Kelly, JPMorgan Funds; Bob Doll, Nuveen Asset Management; and Ken Volpert, Vanuard head of taxable fixed income, discuss the potential ...
- [video] Fed to begin taper @ CNBC - 3 hours ago
CNBC's Steve Liesman reports the Fed has provided future guidance for tapering, and dovish guidance about interest rates on the way out.
- How to make those college essays POP! @ CNBC - 3 hours ago
It's good to make your college essay conversational but not so conversational it becomes OMG BTW, according to this college advisor.
- [video] Economy 'good enough' for taper? @ CNBC - 3 hours ago
Bob Doll of Nuveen Asset Management, says the economy is doing "well enough" for the Fed to begin the taper process. Ken Volpert of Vanguard, weighs in.
- Want the best cigar of 2013? Be prepared to break the law @ CNBC - 3 hours ago
Cigar Aficionado just unveiled its No. 1 cigar of 2013 on CNBC, and it's beyond the reach of law-abiding U.S. citizens.
- [video] Santelli's Midday Bond Report @ CNBC - 4 hours ago
CNBC's Rick Santelli discusses bond prices and yields.
- [video] Looking for better growth in 2014: Economist @ CNBC - 4 hours ago
Is current economic data good enough for the Fed to begin to taper? Vincent Reinhart, Morgan Stanley, and Michael Feroli, JPMorgan, discuss.
- [video] QE boost to the wealthy @ CNBC - 4 hours ago
Many of the gains from QE have gone to financial assets, reports CNBC's Robert Frank. The intent of the program was to help the overall economy.
- Mamma mia! Chipotle to expand into pizza @ CNBC - 4 hours ago
The company detailed plans Wednesday for a separate pizza concept with a model emphasizing service and speed.
- Time to get over your fear of Chinese stocks? @ CNBC - 4 hours ago
US-listed Chinese companies delivered in 2013. Is it time for investors to get over their fear of Chinese stocks, even given the stock scams of the past?
- [video] Housing starts surge in November @ CNBC - 4 hours ago
Housing starts were down in September and October for the first time since 2011. CNBC's Diana Olick reports November housing starts surged 22.7 percent. Also, a look at the drop in mortgage apps.
- Airlines ban in-flight calls, whatever FCC does @ CNBC - 4 hours ago
No matter what the FCC decides, there will be no in-flight phone conversations by passengers on Delta or JetBlue, the airlines say.
- Why Microsoft might no longer want Mulally: Pro @ CNBC - 4 hours ago
Ford CEO Alan Mulally appears less likely to become Steve Ballmer's successor at Microsoft, Nomura's Rick Sherlund tells CNBC.
- [video] Banks await Fed news @ CNBC - 4 hours ago
CNBC's Steve Liesman reports Deutsche Bank and Goldman Sachs are speaking out about the taper.
- [video] FMHR Final Trade @ CNBC - 4 hours ago
The FMHR traders reveal their final trades of the hour.
- [video] United can outperform airlines: Trader @ CNBC - 4 hours ago
FMHR trader Pete Najarian updates his 2014 stock playbook.
- At least for now, traders yawn at taper volatility @ CNBC - 4 hours ago
If the VIX is a fear indicator, the slight upward slope suggests the market isn't particularly worried about the taper--at least not now.
- [video] 3D printing: Bull vs. bear @ CNBC - 4 hours ago
Debating the play on the 3D printing business, with John Fichthorn of Dialectic Capital Management, and Josh Brown of Ritholtz Wealth Management.
- [video] Short focus investing themes for 2014 @ CNBC - 4 hours ago
John Fichthorn of Dialectic Capital Management, shares his 2014 playbook, including a China short focus fund. "China's credit bubble is starting to taper," he says.
- Midday movers: Ford, General Mills, FedEx & More @ CNBC - 5 hours ago
Take a look at some of Wednesday's midday movers:
- [video] Futures Now: Anxiety rises in bond market @ CNBC - 5 hours ago
The Futures Now team discusses whether the bond market is getting anxious ahead of potential taper news.