- 3 Quick Tips to Save Hundreds of Dollars DailyWorth - Tue, Jan 20, 2015 12:00 AM EST
A few weeks ago, I saved our family $792 a year with a single, 10-minute phone call. A few months earlier, another quick call saved us $833 a year.
- How to Deal With Debt Collectors DailyWorth - Fri, Jan 16, 2015 12:00 AM EST
You don't have to be a hot financial mess to have collection accounts ruining your credit. Rosemary had great credit scores until a $46 medical bill went into collections.
- 7 Money Habits to Start Now DailyWorth - Tue, Jan 6, 2015 12:00 AM EST
Have you ever noticed how many people are in the gym on January 2? But a few weeks later, it’s business as usual again. Why? Because forming good habits takes time and a real commitment.
- 10 Money Resolutions You Should Make This Year DailyWorth - Wed, Dec 31, 2014 12:00 AM EST
It’s that time of year. Yes, the week when millions of Americans make their oaths to the fitness gods. Being physically fit is certainly a worthy (if elusive) goal.
- The Smart Way to Give to Charity DailyWorth - Mon, Dec 22, 2014 12:00 AM EST
We’re giving more these days — but we’re not necessarily being smart about it.
- What to Do Before 2014 Ends: A Financial Cheat Sheet DailyWorth - Mon, Dec 15, 2014 12:00 AM EST
The holidays are a busy time of year — and expensive too. That's why it makes sense to take a break from the hubbub and look for some last-minute ways you can save money on your taxes.
- How to Spend a Million Dollars DailyWorth - Fri, Dec 12, 2014 12:00 AM EST
I read once that the typical windfall is spent within 18 months.
- The holidays are prime time for ID theft DailyWorth - Wed, Nov 26, 2014 10:15 AM EST
Our shopping habits put us at greater risk for identity theft during the holidays.
- A Post-Thanksgiving Shopping Survival Guide DailyWorth - Wed, Nov 26, 2014 12:00 AM EST
’Tis the season of buying and spending. Or so it seems. If you’re like me, the thought of lining up in the cold, dark night to pounce on a discounted TV or half-price sweater makes you recoil.
- Don’t Go Broke This Holiday Season DailyWorth - Mon, Nov 17, 2014 12:00 AM EST
Finding it hard to feel festive when all you can think about is that fat credit card bill or those student loans you’re (still) paying off? Unfortunately, you’re not alone: three in four American households ...
- How to bounce back from credit disaster DailyWorth - Wed, Nov 5, 2014 10:26 AM EST
- When You Need a Financial Expert and When You Don’t DailyWorth - Tue, Oct 28, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
When I started the Certified Financial Planner training program, I believed a reasonably intelligent woman could handle her own finances without hiring help.
- 5 Apps Changing the Way We Spend Money DailyWorth - Tue, Oct 28, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
When my grandmother lived in New York City in the 1940s, she paid 10 cents to ride the subway and complained about the cost.
- What do millionaires know that we don’t? DailyWorth - Fri, Oct 24, 2014 4:06 PM EDT
- Act Fast: 7 Things to Do When Your Wallet Is Missing DailyWorth - Tue, Oct 14, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
I knew I should have carried my wallet in a purse that night. Instead, I fashionably tucked it under my arm and headed to the local wine bar with my husband.
- The Real Reason You Feel Broke DailyWorth - Tue, Oct 14, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
Americans' wealth just hit a new record.
- Get More for Less on Your Next Trip DailyWorth - Wed, Oct 8, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
Getting out of town is expensive. The average summer traveler expects to pay $1,145 per person, according to a 2014 American Express survey of 1,500 Americans.
- Share, Buy or Profit? 6 Hacks to Boost Your Budget DailyWorth - Tue, Oct 7, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
A huge part of successful budgeting is correctly deciphering needs — determining which items you actually need versus what you only want.
- 4 ways to trick your brain and build your wealth DailyWorth - Fri, Oct 3, 2014 3:19 PM EDT
Sadly, our brains aren’t wired to make us rich.
- The Science of Buying Happiness DailyWorth - Wed, Oct 1, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
How much is happiness worth to you? Placing a price tag on emotional well-being may seem like a slippery slope, but scientists have a lot to say about the intersection between happiness and the money we ...
- 25 Quotes on Wealth From Powerful Women DailyWorth - Sat, Sep 27, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
Any woman who has made it to the top knows that being boastful about your accomplishments can cost you — and not just in terms of dollars.
- 8 Surprising Things You Can Get for Free DailyWorth - Tue, Sep 23, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
In our culture of buy, buy, buy, it’s easy to forget that some things in life are still free.
- Kerry Washington’s PSA Raises Awareness About Financial Abuse DailyWorth - Fri, Sep 19, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
This week, Emmy-nominated actress and “Scandal” star, Kerry Washington, appeared in a PSA by the Allstate Foundation about financial abuse — a tactic used in abusive relationships to manipulate victims ...
- 6 Fascinating Mind Tricks That Help You Save Money DailyWorth - Wed, Sep 17, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
Putting money aside seems pretty straightforward. But seeing as the average personal-savings rate is just 5.7 percent (compared to 11 percent two decades ago), it’s definitely easier said than done.
- Who Will be the Most Financially Stable in 10 Years? DailyWorth - Tue, Sep 16, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
If we had a crystal ball to tell us exactly how financially fit we’ll be in the coming years, our money stress would probably drop exponentially.
- Value vs. Perception: Why You’re Paying More for These 8 Luxury Items DailyWorth - Tue, Sep 9, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
- 5 Common — and Costly — Investing Myths DailyWorth - Tue, Sep 2, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
Myths about investing are costly. They can lead you to take too much risk, or too little, or avoid investing altogether, which likely is the most costly mistake of them all.
- Back-to-School Savings Tips You Can Use All Year DailyWorth - Wed, Aug 27, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
For parents, the beginning of a new school year requires more than just getting children back on a regular schedule and helping out with homework. It requires money — often lots of it.
- Want to Save More? There’s an App for That DailyWorth - Wed, Aug 13, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
How’s your bank balance? Could be better? You’re not alone. Only one in four Americans surveyed by Bankrate.
- 6 Simple Ways to Save More DailyWorth - Tue, Aug 12, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
It’s no surprise that Americans are not particularly good at saving money. Even after the financial crisis of 2008, the savings rate only went up to about 5.5 percent, and it was back down to 2.
- 8 Excuses for Not Saving Money — Debunked DailyWorth - Tue, Aug 12, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
After two decades of personal finance reporting, I’ve heard every excuse in the book for not saving money. That said, none of them really hold up — at least over the long term.
- 5 things you should never buy at full price DailyWorth - Fri, Aug 8, 2014 3:08 PM EDT
Maybe it’s true that “you get what you pay for” with certain products and services, but for many commodities and everyday needs, it’s easy to pay way too much.
- The Best Times to Buy Big-Ticket Items DailyWorth - Wed, Aug 6, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
Savvy shoppers know the best time to get linens is during January’s white sales and that July is a great time to buy swimsuits.
- 5 Common — and Costly — Investing Mistakes DailyWorth - Tue, Aug 5, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
Survey after survey shows that women are less confident about making wise financial decisions despite feeling more financially secure, that we’re more likely to defer to a partner in making important money ...
- 7 Top Money Management Apps DailyWorth - Tue, Jul 29, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
Keeping a balanced budget can help you stay on track and sleep better at night.
- Are You Committing Financial Infidelity? DailyWorth - Tue, Jul 15, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
Several years ago, a friend of mine admitted she had a bank account her husband didn’t know about so that she could spend from her secret stash on the sly.
- Meet 6 Entrepreneurs Who Are Changing the World DailyWorth - Fri, Jul 11, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
CEOs are frequently seen as profit-driven with a laser-beam focus on the bottom line.
- What Makes a Business Most Likely to Succeed? DailyWorth - Wed, Jul 9, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
So you say you want to start a business, but what are its chances of survival? What types of businesses are voted “Most Likely To Succeed”? More importantly, what skills can you acquire to make sure your ...
- 4 Ways You May Be Unknowingly Hurting Your Credit DailyWorth - Tue, Jul 8, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
Tammy listed her son as an authorized user on one of her credit cards to help him build his credit history.
- 5 Ways to Use Social Media to Save Money DailyWorth - Tue, Jul 8, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
If you’re active on social media, you’re constantly presented with opportunities to save, whether you've signed up for them or not.
- 10 habits to get rich DailyWorth - Mon, Jul 7, 2014 12:14 PM EDT
Becoming rich takes serious willpower and long-term vision.
- My Savings Changed My Life: 7 True Stories DailyWorth - Thu, Jul 3, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
We know you’ve probably heard this mantra drilled into your brain over and over: One of the smartest financial moves you can make is to save money in an emergency fund.
- Which travel perks are — and aren’t — worth it? DailyWorth - Tue, Jul 1, 2014 2:24 PM EDT
Car rental insurance? Hotel packages? Find out which extras are really worth it.
- How We Paid Off More Than $100,000 in Student Loans DailyWorth - Tue, Jul 1, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
For 37 million Americans, student loan debt is a financial albatross around their necks. And it’s growing.
- Are you millionaire material? DailyWorth - Fri, Jun 27, 2014 1:22 PM EDT
- 10 Common Lies We Tell Ourselves About Money DailyWorth - Fri, Jun 27, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
If you’re not saving money, maybe you tell yourself it’s because you just “can’t afford” to set money aside right now. (Not true.
- Cut Costs on Common Medical Expenses DailyWorth - Thu, Jun 26, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
Just because you have health insurance doesn’t mean you’re in the clear when it comes to covering all of your medical expenses.
- Don’t Fall For These 5 Pricing Tricks DailyWorth - Wed, Jun 25, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
Never underestimate the lengths retailers will go to to get you to spend more. Everything from product placement to music to scent can subconsciously coerce you into opening your wallet.
- Does Supporting Women-Led Companies Mean Sacrificing Returns? DailyWorth - Tue, Jun 24, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
Can a compelling argument be made for sacrificing returns in order to support companies that advance women's leadership? We shall soon see with the introduction of the Pax Ellevate Global Women’s Index ...
- Are You Afraid of Running Out of Money in Retirement? DailyWorth - Tue, Jun 24, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
If you’re like most women, the answer is yes.