- Consumer Discretionary ETFs: Settling In ETFZone - Sun, Jun 19, 2011 12:30 AM EDT
The performance of consumer discretionary ETFs are a referendum on consumer spending. What's the outlook for this crucial asset class?
- Mid Cap Plays the Middle ETFZone - Thu, Jun 16, 2011 12:30 AM EDT
Mid Cap is a painless way to round out core large cap holdings, with modest diversification benefits.
- Beyond the SPY: Small Cap ETFs ETFZone - Sun, Jun 5, 2011 12:30 AM EDT
Small cap indexes represent 8-16% of the total US stock market. Many investors have no small cap exposure. Is this wise?
- Large Caps with Small Differences ETFZone - Tue, May 31, 2011 12:30 AM EDT
Large cap ETFs are relatively similar, but minute differences are amplified by huge portfolio allocations.
- Emerging Market ETFs Struggling ETFZone - Sun, May 22, 2011 12:30 AM EDT
In the last six months emerging market ETFs have struggled. Is the period of strong growth on low inflation over?
- Value Brings Modest Value Added ETFZone - Tue, May 17, 2011 12:30 AM EDT
Value and growth acted unexpectedly throughout this cycle.
- Commodity ETFs: New Volatility ETFZone - Sun, May 8, 2011 12:30 AM EDT
Commodity ETFs are among the most popular and successful funds in the market today. They are best used strategically.
- Country ETFs All Over Map ETFZone - Tue, May 3, 2011 12:30 AM EDT
Turmoil, inflation and natural disasters make country ETFs challenging and potentially lucrative.
- Tortoise or Hare? Growth ETFs Gain Ground ETFZone - Sat, Apr 23, 2011 12:30 AM EDT
The rabbit is running. Growth ETFs outperforming value.
- Tech ETFs Pause at Last ETFZone - Mon, Apr 18, 2011 12:30 AM EDT
Technology ETFs outperformed for three years, but have paused at last.
- Agricultural ETFs: Demand, Inflation, and the Dollar ETFZone - Sun, Apr 10, 2011 12:30 AM EDT
Agricultural ETFs track the price of agricultural commodities. How have they performed recently?
- China ETFs Decelerating ETFZone - Mon, Apr 4, 2011 12:30 AM EDT
China slowing down and encountering inflation but less volatile and less correlated with the US.
- Utilities ETF: Importance of Diversity ETFZone - Sun, Mar 27, 2011 12:30 AM EDT
Utilities ETFs provide diversity in the face of Japan's nuclear disaster.
- Fundamental ETFs Throw their Weights Around ETFZone - Mon, Mar 21, 2011 12:30 AM EDT
Market cap weighting may not be the best way to index. Fundamental financial measures are finding support in historical data and investor acceptance.
- U.S. Treasury Bond ETFs: The Going Price of Safe? ETFZone - Sun, Mar 13, 2011 12:30 AM EST
Are U.S. treasury bonds and treasury bond ETFs safe? Is the price for safety too high?
- Equal Weighted ETFs Really a Size Shift ETFZone - Mon, Mar 7, 2011 12:30 AM EST
Equal weighted ETFs diversify, but they may not lower volatility.
- ETFs for Oil-Rich Countries, Performance in Crisis ETFZone - Sat, Feb 26, 2011 12:30 AM EST
ETFs tracking markets in oil-rich countries used to be a bet on oil. Have recent political events in the Middle East changed this?
- Commodities ETFs' Achilles Heel ETFZone - Sat, Feb 19, 2011 12:30 AM EST
Most commodities ETFs roll futures contracts frequently, at huge cost to their investors.
- Buy-Write, Insider Transactions and Specialty ETFs ETFZone - Sun, Feb 13, 2011 12:30 AM EST
Specialty ETFs are strategy-based funds designed to beat the market benchmark. Are they worth it?
- REIT ETFs Can Do No Wrong ETFZone - Mon, Feb 7, 2011 12:30 AM EST
REIT ETFs are soaring on improved but not yet stellar fundamentals.
- Japan ETFs Trading for Book. Is the Land of the Rising Sun Cheap Enough? ETFZone - Sun, Jan 30, 2011 12:30 AM EST
After two decades of stagnation, investors are ignoring Japan. Is this complacency justified?
- Total Market Still the Benchmark to Beat ETFZone - Sun, Jan 23, 2011 12:30 AM EST
Total market ETFs are useful not just as easy buy-and-hold tools but as benchmarks to beat.
- Latin American ETFs: Charging Higher ETFZone - Sat, Jan 15, 2011 12:30 AM EST
Latin American ETFs are moving up on expanding Chinese demand for natural resurces, inflation-proof assets and dollar diversification.
- Financials ETF Volatility Dampening ETFZone - Fri, Jan 7, 2011 12:30 AM EST
Financials are not driving the market quite the way they were two years ago. Volatility remains but at nowhere near the same level.
- Metals ETFs: Perfect Storm ETFZone - Sun, Jan 2, 2011 12:30 AM EST
In 2010, precious metals ETFs were some of the market's best performers. Base metals ETFs stagnated. What's ahead for metals ETFs in 2011?
- Europe ETFs Struggle ETFZone - Wed, Dec 22, 2010 12:30 AM EST
Europe is seemingly threatened as rarely before but investors are hanging on for ride.
- Bond ETFs: Are International Bond ETFs Safer than Treasuries? ETFZone - Sat, Dec 11, 2010 12:30 AM EST
In the past month, US treasury ETFs have sold despite aggressive buying from the Federal Reserve. What's ahead for international fixed income ETFs?
- Dividends ETFs, for the Yield ETFZone - Mon, Dec 6, 2010 12:30 AM EST
Dividend ETFs were too full of financial stocks to be defensive in recent years, but that has changed and they now play a more traditional role.
- Socially Responsible ETFs: The Other Value Investing ETFZone - Sat, Nov 27, 2010 12:30 AM EST
Can ethics and values be profitable? Socially responsible ETFs select companies based on political, social, environmental and corporate governance considerations.
- Munis' New Volatility ETFZone - Mon, Nov 22, 2010 12:30 AM EST
Munis dipped again. Is volatility here to stay?
- Basic Materials ETFs: Up on Demand ETFZone - Sun, Nov 14, 2010 12:30 AM EST
Is manufacturing growth strong enough to support further outperformance of materials ETFs?
- Health Care Under Scrutiny ETFZone - Sun, Nov 7, 2010 12:30 AM EDT
Politicians target health care but will they follow through?
- Good Times for Corporate Bond ETFs ETFZone - Sat, Oct 30, 2010 12:30 AM EDT
It is the best of times for corporate bond issuers. It's a pretty good time for corporate bond ETF investors too. But investors should avoid the temptation to buy investment gr
- Telecom ETFs: Coming In Loud and Clear ETFZone - Sun, Oct 24, 2010 12:30 AM EDT
Telecom is recovering faster than most sectors, but is still moderaly priced.
- ETFs for Cruising Asian Economies ETFZone - Sun, Oct 17, 2010 12:30 AM EDT
The worlds fastest growing economies are in Asia. ETFs tracking the Asian markets offer exposure.
- Industrials ETFs Boosted by US Demand and a Low Dollar ETFZone - Mon, Oct 11, 2010 12:30 AM EDT
Industrials have led the market out of the recession, and now exports are being boosted by a low dollar.
- Energy ETFs Slow Down ETFZone - Sat, Sep 25, 2010 12:30 AM EDT
Energy Sector ETFs are underperforming broad market benchmarks. Is this a temporary phenomenon or a structural trend?
- ETNs: Flexibility to Fill Gaps ETFZone - Mon, Sep 20, 2010 12:30 AM EDT
Exchange-Traded Notes serve niche areas with flexibility at a price
- High Yield Bond ETFs: Rising on Falling Defaults ETFZone - Sat, Sep 11, 2010 12:30 AM EDT
Are high yield bond ETFs expensive right now, or cheap? The answer depends on investors' bond default expectations.
- Mid-Cap: Diversification and Extra Return ETFZone - Mon, Sep 6, 2010 12:30 AM EDT
Mid-sized US companies remain a useful tool for investing by company size.
- "Just Getting By:" Consumer Staples ETFs ETFZone - Sat, Aug 28, 2010 12:30 AM EDT
When people are 'just getting by,' consumer staples ETFs make attractive investments.
- Currency ETFs: Macroeconomic Trader's Game ETFZone - Sat, Aug 21, 2010 12:30 AM EDT
Currency ETFs are the best way to play currency shifts, especially Dollar weakness.
- Consumer Discretionary ETFs: Too Discretionary? ETFZone - Sat, Aug 14, 2010 12:30 AM EDT
After a strong run in 2009 and 2010, consumer discretionary ETFs look pricey.
- Frontier ETFs: the New Emerging Markets ETFZone - Mon, Aug 9, 2010 12:30 AM EDT
Frontier markets deliver the wild ride emerging markets used to.
- Small Cap ETFs: The First One Now Will Later Be First? ETFZone - Sat, Jul 31, 2010 12:30 AM EDT
Small cap ETFs have outperformed their large cap brethren for a decade. Can the trend continue?
- International ETFs: Risky Shores? ETFZone - Sat, Jul 24, 2010 12:30 AM EDT
International ETFs are the obvious complement to US large cap, although now is not the most propritious time to venture abroad.
- Emerging Market ETFs: More Acceleration Ahead? ETFZone - Sat, Jul 17, 2010 12:30 AM EDT
Emerging market economies are growing much faster than developed economies. Are emerging market ETFs worth the risk?
- Large Cap ETFs ETFZone - Thu, Jul 8, 2010 12:30 AM EDT
Large cap ETFs get huge amounts of assets but little reflection.
- Commodity ETFs: Still Lowering Portfolio Volatility? ETFZone - Sun, Jul 4, 2010 12:30 AM EDT
Lately, commodities and commodity ETFs seem to be adding to portfolio volatility rather than reducing it.
- Value at Inflection Point? ETFZone - Sun, Jun 27, 2010 12:30 AM EDT
Value is turning up after three years of trailing growth, but it's not particularly cheap