- Previewing A 'Juicy' Supreme Court Case On Food Labeling Regulation @ Forbes - 3 hours ago
A Supreme Court battle between rival juice manufacturers could reshape how we regulate food and drink names and labels
- U.S. Ranks 94th Of 100 Tax Systems; What Slovakia Could Teach IRS @ Forbes - 7 hours ago
U.S. Tax System Ranks 94th of 100, and Even Tax Administration Seems Lagging. What Can We Learn From Abroad?
- Week Ahead: Apple, Facebook Lead Earnings Rush @ Forbes - 15 hours ago
U.S. stock investors can expect another wild ride this coming week as almost one third of S&P 500 companies report earnings. Firms delivering results include Apple, Microsoft, General Motors, McDonald’s and Boeing. Also expected are some key economic indicators including updates on U.S. home sales and durable goods orders. …
- Even Alex Rodriguez Reportedly Almost Fell Victim To Eike Batista's Financial Collapse @ Forbes - 16 hours ago
The plot thickens: the dramatic downfall of Brazil's former richest man now also reportedly involves a Major League Baseball player.
- Box Office: 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Opens To Mighty $47M Overseas @ Forbes - 16 hours ago
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 actually opened in 14 overseas markets this weekend. It opened in the UK on Wednesday and more markets over the long Easter weekend. By the time the film opens in America on May 2nd, it will already be playing in much of the world. As such, this [...]
- What's Japan's Guiltiest Secret?: (Hint) It's Not The Comfort Women @ Forbes - 17 hours ago
While the American press focuses on the comfort women scandal and other "war legacy" controversies of modern Japan, it misses hugely economically sensitive issues that the Tokyo establishment sincerely wants to sweep under the rug.
- Weekend Box Office: 'Captain America 2' Crosses $200M @ Forbes - 18 hours ago
Heaven Is For Real is to The Grudge as God's Not Dead is to The Ring. As the first major Christian-centric film to drop after the surprisingly successful God's Not Dead, Heaven Is For Real got to capitalize on being the next portion of a newly popular dish. The Asian horror remake fad frankly began and ended with The Ring and The …
- Why Silence Isn't Censorship In Games Like 'Hearthstone' @ Forbes - 22 hours ago
There are few controversial aspects to Hearthstone, Blizzard's beloved free-to-play collectible card game which recently just saw an iPad release, but one source of contention involves how players interact with each other. Or rather, how they don't. Rather than allowing text-based chat between players who aren't friends, …
- 4 Dow Stocks Under Accumulation @ Forbes - Sat, Apr 19, 2014 2:30 PM EDT
The choppy nature of the 1st quarter is not surprising after the action in 2013. The sharp declines in the Nasdaq 100 and biotechnology stocks have caused some technical damage that would normally take time to repair. The relative performance analysis of the SPDR Diamond Trust (DIA) suggests that it may be taking over market …
- Best- And Worst-Performing Cloud Computing Stocks April 11th To April 17th And Year-to-Date @ Forbes - Sat, Apr 19, 2014 1:58 PM EDT
The six highest performing cloud computing stocks year-to-date in the Cloud Computing Index are F5 Networks (NASDAQ: FFIV), Akamai (NASDAQ: AKAM), VMWare (NYSE:VMW), Juniper Networks (NYSE:JNPR), EMC (NYSE:EMC), and Fusion-IO (NYSE: FIO). A $10K investment in F5 Networks shares made on January 2nd of this year is worth …
- As Unexpected Medical Expenses Mount, Crowdfunding Site Lifts Boston Marathon Victims @ Forbes - Sat, Apr 19, 2014 12:01 PM EDT
Out-of-pocket (OOP) medical expenses in the United States cost Americans nearly $328 billion in 2012 , with many attributing significant numbers of yearly bankruptcies to medical expenses. No one knows these kinds of unexpected costs like Pat and Jess, a couple who, both sustained severe leg injuries after one of the [ …
- Friday Box Office: 'Heaven Is For Real' Earns $7.85M, Johnny Depp's 'Transcendence' Flops @ Forbes - Sat, Apr 19, 2014 11:29 AM EDT
Heaven Is For Real is to The Grudge as God's Not Dead is to The Ring. As the first major Christian-centric film to drop after the surprisingly successful God's Not Dead, Heaven Is For Real got to capitalize on being the next portion of a newly popular dish. If you recall, The Ring kick-started the Japanese horror remake …
- Insurers Fret Hepatitis C Pill Costs More Than Obamacare @ Forbes - Sat, Apr 19, 2014 11:29 AM EDT
As health insurance companies reveal much anticipated first-quarter earnings, it’s the unpredictable impact from the five-figure cost of new Hepatitis C treatments that are the subject of as much Wall Street worry as the Affordable Care Act. This week, UnitedHealth Group (UNH) executives spent more time answering questions …
- Hearthstone vs. Rollercoaster Tycoon 4: The Battle For The Soul Of Mobile Games @ Forbes - Sat, Apr 19, 2014 11:23 AM EDT
It's been an interesting month for mobile games, one that I believe clearly illustrates a split for the scene with the release of two high profile games, Blizzard's Hearthstone and Atari's RollerCoaster Tycoon 4. Hearthstone is a new game drawing from old concepts, but has seen great popularity in its [...]
- Why Is The Market Valuing Yahoo!'s Core Business At Less Than $0? @ Forbes - Sat, Apr 19, 2014 9:56 AM EDT
Yahoo's recent results have turned up something of a puzzle for those of us who believe in efficient and rational markets. For we can clearly see that Yahoo!'s core business is profitable. And we can also clearly see that in the company's stake in Alibaba and Yahoo Japan, that it [...]
- Clinical Trial Of Juno Therapeutics Cell Therapy Restarts @ Forbes - Sat, Apr 19, 2014 9:53 AM EDT
Earlier this month, a study of a much-watched cell therapy that genetically modifies patients' immune cells in order to attack tumors was stopped because the treatment may have caused the deaths of two patients. The trial is now once again enrolling patients, according to Juno Therapeutics, the startup that is commercializing …
- Sberbank Denies Funding Pro-Russia 'Terrorists' In East Ukraine @ Forbes - Sat, Apr 19, 2014 9:30 AM EDT
Ukraine investigating the local subsidiaries of 14 Russian banks for allegedly bribing its military to join the pro-Russia movements in the east.
- Pebble Is Winning The Wearables War and What That Means For The iWatch @ Forbes - Sat, Apr 19, 2014 9:00 AM EDT
Pebble has defined the terms of success, for now, and other wearable wannabes from Apple to Google to Samsung should study what it has done right.
- Sony Xperia Z2 Review: The Updated Android Flagship Is An All-Round Success @ Forbes - Sat, Apr 19, 2014 8:16 AM EDT
Sony's latest Android handset is the Xperia Z2. Sporting a 5.2 inch screen, a 2.3 GHz quad-core processor, and a lot of glass and metal, it's the Japanese company's flagship for the summer. I've spent some time reviewing the handset and found it to be an impressive handset with many small touches that make it the best all-round …
- Onsite Generation: Can Utilities Rethink Their Business Proposition? @ Forbes - Sat, Apr 19, 2014 7:34 AM EDT
Can utilities adapt to emerging innovations that allow customers to “bypass” their services? Or, will power companies become the modern-day dinosaur? The trend is toward more independent customers who are able to generate their own electricity -- all spearheaded by advancing technologies that are becoming cheaper and more …
- The New Role Of Leaders @ Forbes - Fri, Apr 18, 2014 11:32 PM EDT
The role of leadership has changed. It is no longer enough to merely plan and direct action, today we must inspire and empower belief.
- 2014 Lexus GX 460 Test Drive And Review: The Refined Off-Roader @ Forbes - Fri, Apr 18, 2014 8:35 PM EDT
Lexus has given the GX a facelift 2014, further refining the refined off-roader.
- Apple Loop: Lowered Guidance, More Cheap iPhones, Yahoo Searching For A Dream @ Forbes - Fri, Apr 18, 2014 8:26 PM EDT
Projecting Apple's Guidance, watching the iPhone 5C 8GB take over the world, Does Yahoo Dream Of Electric Search, the size of the wearable economy, revenues and volume in the app stores, will Hearthstone replace Candy Crush Saga, and will Microsoft and Apple fight Google together? Apple Loop is here to bring you the highlights …
- Weibo Debut Clouds Outlook For Tech IPOs @ Forbes - Fri, Apr 18, 2014 8:22 PM EDT
Everyone’s buzzing today about the trading debut of Weibo, following a performance by the Sina microblogging unit that was filled with mixed signals. Potential investors in the company will inevitably have many questions about Weibo’s future, as it seeks to carve out a secure and profitable place for itself in [...]
- The Week Ahead: Will The Consumer Revive The Economy? @ Forbes - Fri, Apr 18, 2014 7:20 PM EDT
Just a week ago the stock market was looking quite vulnerable as most of the major averages closed near their lows last Friday, April 11. There were signs of heavy selling, so I concluded last week that “On a short-term basis, the market is getting oversold, so we should see a bounce this week. Unless it is quite strong, …
- `Taxpayers Rely On IRS Guidance At Their Own Peril,' Tax Judge Rules @ Forbes - Fri, Apr 18, 2014 5:53 PM EDT
Before filing your 2013 tax return, did you consult an Internal Revenue Service publication for clarification of some confusing point? That’s living dangerously.
- Millennial Customers Require A Different Customer Experience: Here's Where To Start @ Forbes - Fri, Apr 18, 2014 4:08 PM EDT
When you’re planning out your next customer service initiative, your next move to improve your customer experience, think about the arrival of the millennial generation, says customer service speaker and consultant Micah Solomon
- 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Might Not Make It To Xbox One @ Forbes - Fri, Apr 18, 2014 2:16 PM EDT
Activision has pulled the Xbox One version of 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2.'
- 'Candy Crush Saga' Maker Plays Nice With 'Banner Saga', 'CandySwipe' Developers @ Forbes - Fri, Apr 18, 2014 12:19 PM EDT
The mobile giant has come to terms with two indie developers in its ongoing trademark disputes.
- General Mills Consumers Give Up Rights To What, Exactly? @ Forbes - Fri, Apr 18, 2014 11:18 AM EDT
A Times story about Cheerios customers losing their right to sue is really about class action lawyers losing their right to big fees.
- Older Job Seekers: Get Social And Mobile @ Forbes - Fri, Apr 18, 2014 11:17 AM EDT
How to exploit your social networks and smartphones to find work.
- Subaru Debuts Next Generation 2015 Subaru Outback At The New York Auto Show @ Forbes - Fri, Apr 18, 2014 11:01 AM EDT
Subaru unveiled the next-generation 2015 Subaru Outback at the New York International Auto Show, kicking off what the company promises to be yet another record sales year. The 2015 Subaru Outback is the sixth product generation in 20 years since Subaru introduced the first Outback. Then as now, it’s a close [...]
- The Patent Drain on Economic Growth @ Forbes - Fri, Apr 18, 2014 10:51 AM EDT
Slow economic growth since the Great Recession has been devastating for employment, middle class incomes, and federal and state budgets. Worse, many economists are predicting slow growth for the next generation. A number of policies — from tax and immigration reform to more innovation friendly regulatory treatment of the …
- Robin Williams Making 'Mrs. Doubtfire 2' Should Make Us Sad @ Forbes - Fri, Apr 18, 2014 10:05 AM EDT
It would appear that we're getting a sequel to Mrs. Doubtfire. It was reported last night that both original director Chris Columbus and original star Robin Williams are apparently back on board in a sequel to the 21-year old hit comedy about a divorced dad who dresses like an old woman [...]
- Gas Makes Wind Affordable Even Without Tax Credit: Alliant CEO @ Forbes - Fri, Apr 18, 2014 9:31 AM EDT
Cheap natural gas is making wind energy affordable, even without a tax credit, the chief executive officer of Alliant Energy said in Chicago Wednesday.
- How Millennials Will Dictate The Future Of Fast Food @ Forbes - Fri, Apr 18, 2014 9:30 AM EDT
Millennials have cut back their annual restaurant trips by 21% over the last seven years. But since they comprise a quarter of the U.S. population and carry $1.3 trillion in spending power, restaurants like Starbucks, McDonald's and Panera will need to cater to the tastes and habits of this age group to secure future l …
- Is Big Tech A Bad Investment Bet? @ Forbes - Fri, Apr 18, 2014 9:05 AM EDT
Intel, IBM, and Google reported recent quarterly results that were not thrilling. But this does not mean that they are all bad investments. After all, in the last year shares of Google (up 37%) and Intel (up 24%) have performed well; whereas those of IBM (down 10%) have been moribund. The gap [...]
- If This Keeps Up, Xbox One Has A Big PS4 Problem @ Forbes - Fri, Apr 18, 2014 9:05 AM EDT
Yes, it's early. Too early for anyone to pop the champagne corks, declare victory and stand over the other guy with the scowl of a champion. But Microsoft has a problem with the Xbox One in its war with the PS4 and it had better solve it soon or else [...]
- Opportunities Among The Rubble Of The Biotech Selloff @ Forbes - Fri, Apr 18, 2014 9:00 AM EDT
The selloff in biotech stocks over the past month has hurt Justin Uyehara, one of my top managers who I think just might be one of our generations’ Warren Buffetts. Justin’s portfolio climbed 61% in 2013 but lost 10% in 2014 through April 4, which ranks him last among the four members of the Marketocracy Explore Team. To …
- Cayman Islands Is The New Switzerland, But Not The Way You Think @ Forbes - Fri, Apr 18, 2014 3:03 AM EDT
FATCA May Have Americanized Switzerland, But Cayman Islands Compliance Is About To Change in a Big Way.
- 12 Reasons Why New Zealand's Economic Bubble Will End In Disaster @ Forbes - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 10:16 PM EDT
Though commonly hailed as a safe-haven, New Zealand has an inflating bubble that will end in tears.
- 'Titanfall' Tops March Video Game Sales @ Forbes - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 8:48 PM EDT
Titanfall was the best-selling game last month according to NPD data.
- After Cortana, Halo Continues To Lead Developers To The New Microsoft With The First Unified Apps @ Forbes - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 8:19 PM EDT
As part of the recent Build conference, Microsoft announced new functionality for Windows developers. The 'unified application' will allow cross-platform apps to be developed and released as a single resource via the Windows Store, and available on Windows, Windows Phone, and Xbox. While the Xbox side of the equation is …
- Microsoft Breaks Silence On Xbox One Sales...Sort Of @ Forbes - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 7:40 PM EDT
Yesterday, Sony announced that it had sold 7 million PS4s to consumers, a colossal number any way you look at it. It left us wondering how its chief competitor, Microsoft's Xbox One, was faring -- all we had heard was that Microsoft had sold 3 million units in 2013. Well [...]
- Judge Lets GM Off the Hook by Denying "Park-It" Order @ Forbes - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 7:15 PM EDT
General Motors finally caught a break in its ongoing ignition safety snafu from a federal judge in Texas. GM has already been forced it to recall 2.6 million vehicles with defective ignition switches linked to at least 13 deaths. The company expects the campaign will cost it $1.3 million. CEO Mary [...]
- Potential New Treatment for Alcoholism: Ezogabine @ Forbes - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 6:40 PM EDT
Alcoholism treatment breakthrough? A recently approved epilepsy drug may help alcoholics stop drinking.
- Sabre, Weibo Jump Through Closing IPO Window @ Forbes - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 5:05 PM EDT
Deals are being downsized, postponed and offered cheaper than planned. Is the IPO market freezing up?
- FDA Grants Fast Track Status To Amgen Heart Failure Drug @ Forbes - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 5:03 PM EDT
Amgen announced yesterday that its new chronic heart failure drug ivabradine had been granted fast track status by the FDA. The company said the fast track designation, which is for drugs that treat serious conditions and fill an umet medical need, will aid the development and speed the review of the [...]
- Russia Recession Not Out Of The Question @ Forbes - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 5:01 PM EDT
The market awaits the results of talks with Russian officials in Geneva to see if the Ukraine fist-fight will come to an end.
- 'X-Men' Credit Cookie Stole Spider-Man's Thunder @ Forbes - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 5:01 PM EDT
Yesterday was the opening day of The Amazing Spider-Man 2, but thanks to a post-credit cookie, most comic fans were talking about X-Men: Days of Future Past. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 debuted in theaters yesterday in the United Kingdom. As most of you know, the Sony film is opening 2.5 weeks ahead of its [...]