- Box Office: 'Fifty Shades Of Grey' Becomes 6th R-Rated Film To Top $500M @ Forbes - 33 minutes ago
Fresh off the presses, Fifty Shades of Grey has officially passed the $500 million mark at the worldwide box office. The Universal/Comcast Corp. film has earned $150m domestic (an impressive feat in-and-of-itself) and has earned $352m overseas for a $502m worldwide as of yesterday. As you of course know, the Dakota Johnson/Jamie …
- Orexigen 'Crying All The Way To The Bank' After 'Egregiously Unethical' Actions @ Forbes - 41 minutes ago
On Tuesday morning the members of the Data Monitoring Committee of Orexigen's Light study began a planned meeting in a hotel in Chicago. They had no way of knowing that in a few hours their routine duties would be completely interrupted by the news that data from the trial-- which they
- Peeling Away The Layers Of Berkshire Hathaway @ Forbes - 49 minutes ago
I can exhale now that the media's orgy of fascination with Berkshire Hathaway and Chairman/CEO Warren Buffett will pause now. After the release of the company's annual report and Buffett's shareholder letter last Saturday, we get a respite until Berkshire's annual meeting itself on May 2. Why the lack of enthusiasm
- Why Is Valve Obsessed With Hardware When It Makes The Best Software In The World? @ Forbes - 1 hour 2 minutes ago
At GDC this year, Valve has one again proved to be a perplexing force in the industry. Rather than showcasing any long awaited new games, they joined the herd and unveiled that they too were entering the VR space with their Vive headset that they’re making in partnership with HTC. The
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Priced Higher Than iPhone 6 @ Forbes - 1 hour 13 minutes ago
Samsung is taking a big risk with the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge...
- Five Reasons To Invest In India @ Forbes - 1 hour 48 minutes ago
India not overbought yet, ETF firm Emerging Global Advisors believes.
- Apple Watch Could More Than Double Smartwatch Market In Coming Months @ Forbes - 1 hour 54 minutes ago
The Apple Watch could quickly transform Apple into a global leader in the smartwatch market in mere months.
- Sinking Oil Prices Send Job Cuts Soaring @ Forbes - 2 hours 40 minutes ago
Employers cut more jobs in February 2015 than they did in February 2014.
- Unstructured Data: The Other Side of Analytics @ Forbes - 3 hours ago
Everyone is obsessed with “analytics.” I cannot keep up with what the technology pundits and consultants are telling me about analytics, no matter how hard I try. (I just Googled “big data analytics” and got 107,000,000 results in 0.29 seconds.) If you listen to these people, you will absolutely, positively believe that …
- AbbVie's $21B Pharmacyclics Buy A Red Flag For Deal-Crazy Sector @ Forbes - 3 hours ago
AbbVie's 4% tumble on Thursday could be an early warning sign that C-Suites may be overreaching in the pharma sector's dealmaking craze.
- Getting Real In Brazil @ Forbes - 3 hours ago
Whenever there’s a sell-off after bullish news, it’s typically a sign of more pain to come. Brazil’s central bank raised benchmark interest rates to 12.75% on Wednesday in order to quell inflation, but the Real (BRL) dropped even further. The Real has now declined more than 11% YTD relative to US
- Takeda Disagrees With Orexigen Over Data Disclosure @ Forbes - 3 hours ago
(Updated) On Tuesday Orexigen sparked a firestorm by disclosing the interim results of an ongoing clinical trial of its weight loss drug Contrave. Takeda, which markets the drug in the US, has released a statement in which it states that it does not support the release of the interim data. Here is the Takeda statement: …
- Apple iOS 8.2 Release Date And Full Features Leak @ Forbes - 3 hours ago
Everything you need to know about iOS 8.2.
- 'Halo: The Master Chief Collection' May Finally Be Fixed With 343's New Patch @ Forbes - 3 hours ago
November 11th. That’s when Halo: The Master Chief Collection officially launched in 2014. Today is March 5th, and the game may finally, finally work as intended. 343 debuted a long-awaited new patch yesterday aiming to fix the endless amount of issues that have plagued the game’s multiplayer. Now, 24 hours in,
- Investors Have No Alternatives As Popular Indicators Warn Of Overvalued Markets @ Forbes - 3 hours ago
With US treasuries offering real returns of about 0.5%, many investors are taking the risk and jumping into this overvalued market.
- Euro Dips And Dollar Surges As ECB Sets Date For Bond-Buying Program @ Forbes - 4 hours ago
The euro has taken a wild ride in Thursday trading, hitting an 11-year low on the news that the European Central Bank will begin its bond-buying program next week. The currency rebounded slightly after ECB chief Mario Draghi raised the euro-zone's economic growth forecasts but failed to sustain those brief gains as Thursday …
- The Fed Knows Why Walmart Raised Wages @ Forbes - 4 hours ago
This is a very good spot by Dashiell Bennett over at Bloomberg. Some of us have been wondering why it was that Walmart, traditionally a low wage employer, recently decided to hoist entry wages to well above minimum wage. Some argue (and they really are, I'm seeing it here in
- Review: 'Chappie' Will Make You Unhappy @ Forbes - 4 hours ago
Thumbnail: I would love to be the film critic who says that Chappie works despite its narrative faults, but strong production values and good intentions can't save a deeply inconsistent film. Box Office: This Sony release is the third original film from writer/director Neill Blomkamp, who took the industry by storm in 2009 …
- Costco Profit Rises 29%, Boosted By Tax Benefit @ Forbes - 5 hours ago
Costco reported better than expected second quarter earnings on Thursday, sending shares up in premarket trading. Net income in the quarter rose 29% to $598 million, or $1.35 per diluted share, easily beating the Street's call for $1.18 per share. This compares to $463 million, or $1.05 per diluted share, last year. Shares, …
- Google's Android For Work -- Is It Really For You? @ Forbes - 5 hours ago
Android for Work (AFW) is a game changer. It offers a new set of applications, online services and industry partnerships specifically designed to ease the two chronic concerns –security and fragmentation –that have hamstrung Android in the enterprise and left its business and innovation potential largely untapped. But, …
- Aiming To Leverage Docker's Growth, Red Hat Launches Its Own Container-Specific OS @ Forbes - 5 hours ago
It seems that everyone wants a piece of the Docker pie these days. And that should come as no surprise, the Docker initiative (which, as most people are well aware, re-popularized the existing Linux container concept) has seen massive industry, customer and investor interest. And where interest exists, commercial vendors …
- How Workday HR Challenger Namely Doubled Its Valuation In Just Three Months @ Forbes - 5 hours ago
When a startup raises money twice in 90 days, something has usually gone terribly wrong or majorly right. For Namely, a human resources startup taking on the $16 billion Workday, closing such a round so soon is a positive sign—and one that’s quickly doubled the startup’s valuation. Namely announced Thurs. it
- Should PARCC Be Killed Before School Kids Even Take The Test? @ Forbes - 5 hours ago
Snow storms, opt outs, protests and computer glitches have bedeviled the first week of computerized testing under the new Common Core standards in school districts across the country. Yet students in grades three to eleven from Colorado and New Mexico to Maryland and Mississippi continue to plow through the standardized …
- JP Morgan Chase Settles Robo-Signing Charges For $50 Million, Tax Deductible @ Forbes - 6 hours ago
JP Morgan is paying $50M over robo-signing bankruptcy and foreclosure documents. Don't ever robo-sign, especially not with tax returns.
- Brett Icahn Stands To Make $183 Million At Dad's Investment Company @ Forbes - 6 hours ago
Both Brett Icahn and David Schechter had $183 million due to them from Carl Icahn's investment companies at the end of 2014, among the biggest compensation packages in the investment management business.
- The NIH Needs More Funding -- Here's A Proposal That Can Help @ Forbes - 6 hours ago
It cannot be argued that finding a major new source of NIH funding would have a major impact on the nation’s health and well-being.
- Rocket Internet Expands in Sri Lanka @ Forbes - 6 hours ago
Rocket Internet is a fast-growing tech investor and conglomerate in emerging markets. But its approach rankles Silicon Valley.
- Hacking Putin's Eyes: How To Bypass Biometrics The Cheap And Dirty Way With Google Images @ Forbes - 6 hours ago
At Mobile World Congress this week a number of eye-scanning authentication tools were shown off, notably by ZTE and Fujitsu. But security researcher Jan Krissler says it's easy to use high-res images of people's eyes grabbed from Google to break iris scanning tech.
- Despite FATCA, U.S. Companies Stash $2.1 Trillion Abroad---Untaxed @ Forbes - 6 hours ago
U.S. companies have trillions offshore out of reach of the IRS. Why isn't that income taxable? Why isn't that capital at work in America?
- Wireless Charging: A Surprising New Way To Track You @ Forbes - 6 hours ago
One of the key vendors of wireless charging in public spaces is positioning itself as an intelligence gathering tool for Starbucks, airports and others. The price for watts will be your data.
- As GMC Sizzles, The Denali Effect Creates A Big Part Of Its Success @ Forbes - 12 hours ago
GMC is the sizzling General Motors brand du jour, benefiting from a perfect (snow) storm of offering vehicles in some of the market's hottest segments, helping revive a newly promising old segment, and riding lower gasoline prices to consumers' growing embrace of a product lineup that isn't an environmentalist's best
- SunEdison's Move Into Energy Storage: Buying A Startup @ Forbes - 13 hours ago
SunEdison has bought an energy storage developer to expand its reach into an emerging market that will rely partly on the increase of wind and solar energy generation to grow. SunEdison closed the deal to buy Solar Grid Storage in January, paying an undisclosed sum. The sale of Solar Grid reflects the
- China's JD.com Ventures Into The Smart-Home Market @ Forbes - 13 hours ago
Chinese e-commerce billionaire Liu Qiangdong is following his peers in seeking a slice of the smart-home market. Liu’s JD.com, the biggest rival to Chinese e-commerce titan Alibaba Group Holding, plans to invest 67.5 million yuan ($10.8 million) for a 45% stake in a joint venture with Chinese speech and language technology …
- 7 Reasons Why Obamacare 'Federalism' Won't Lead Anthony Kennedy To Join The Supreme Court's Left In King … @ Forbes - 15 hours ago
Today, the Supreme Court heard oral arguments in King v. Burwell, a case with significant implications for the future of Obamacare. Most of the justices’ questions proceeded along expected lines. Most notable was a series of questions by Associate Justice Anthony Kennedy, who questioned whether it would be constitutional …
- Abbvie To Pay $21 Billion For Cancer Biotech Pharmacyclics @ Forbes - 15 hours ago
Winning an apparent bidding war, drug maker Abbvie (ABBV) said Wednesday night it will pay $21 billion for biotech firm Pharmacyclics, the maker of the promising cancer drug Imbruvica that some say could be a top-selling treatment for multiple cancers. Abbvie apparently beat out other companies, including Johnson & Johnson …
- China Sets GDP Dial To 7; Hikes Military Spending @ Forbes - 16 hours ago
State Street agrees with China's leadership: country will grow by 7%.
- Oh là là! Looking For Dividend Yield? Explore France @ Forbes - 16 hours ago
Investors flocking to American shores for perceived safety are setting themselves up for disappointment, particularly when it comes to dividends. The U.S. is one of the lowest-yielding markets in the world at today’s prices. An investment in the iShares Core S&P 500 will get you a dividend yield of just 1.88%. Meanwhile, …
- Brazil's Central Bank Raises Rates, But Not For Much Longer @ Forbes - 16 hours ago
Despite a recessionary economy, Brazil's 7% ties the hands of the Central Bank.
- Etsy Says It Isn't Scared Of Wall Street @ Forbes - 18 hours ago
It is the age of the activist investor, but Brooklyn-based online arts and crafts seller Etsy isn't afraid of the shark-infested Wall Street waters that are within its proximity.
- 'SimCity' Developer Shut Down By EA @ Forbes - 19 hours ago
The game developer is being shuttered following 'Sims' and 'SimCity' mishaps.
- Watch Some 'Unreal Tournament' DirectX 12 Gameplay @ Forbes - 19 hours ago
Unreal Tournament is being built with Unreal Engine 4 and DirectX 12.
- BlackBerry Rejects Mainstream Smartphones For Profitable Niche Markets @ Forbes - 20 hours ago
BlackBerry took to stage at this year's Mobile World Congress to reveal two new handsets powered by its BB10 operating system. The handsets focus on specific areas of the market, and it appears that BlackBerry has fully embraced its current place in the pecking order as a boutique smartphone manufacturer, delivering value …
- Hanergy Stock Surge Upends China Wealth Ranking: Li Hejun Is Now No. 1 @ Forbes - 21 hours ago
That was quick. The ink had barely dried on the 2015 Forbes Billionaires List issue published this week when a 22% surge in the stock price a Chinese solar power firm yesterday led to a change at the top of our ranking of the country’s richest people. Shares in Hanergy Thin Film Power Group, China’s
- Five Stocks The Billionaires Are Buying @ Forbes - 22 hours ago
It’s that time again. The Direxion iBillionaire Index ETF (IBLN), which follows the trading moves of billionaire investors, is doing its quarterly rebalancing. Eleven of the ETF’s 30 stock positions are getting the boot. What’s in? Consumer discretionaries and tech, each of which will now make up 30% of the iBillionaire …
- Google's Domain Name Land Grab: Consumer Convenience Or Coercive Control Point? @ Forbes - 22 hours ago
Internet naming decisions are the sort of Internet plumbing inside baseball that only interests policy wonks and marketing mavens. That is until an 800 pound gorilla like Google decides to pay $25 million for a single generic top-level domain name (gTLD). Buying ".app" for almost four-times the previous record for
- Glenview's Larry Robbins Still Betting On Healthcare Amid Supreme Court Obamacare Battle @ Forbes - 22 hours ago
Larry Robbins of Glenview Capital Management is taking a longer view when it comes to hospitals and other healthcare sector stocks. No matter which way the court rules, he sees reasonable growth rates for the sector, especially in a weak economic backdrop.
- Out Of Nowhere, Nvidia Announces 12GB GeForce Titan X Graphics Card @ Forbes - 22 hours ago
Last night during their "Made To Game" press event, Nvidia had the spotlight all to themselves, announcing their new Shield console and the transition of GRID to a full-fledged PC game streaming service. So no one was expecting Nvidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang to rush Epic Games' stage this morning and
- China's Club Med Buyer Fosun Adds Two New Billionaires @ Forbes - 22 hours ago
The number of billionaires borne from Fosun International, one of China’s largest investment firms, has increased to four after another two of the company’s founders joined the ranks of the world’s richest. Buoyed by a nearly 30% rise in the price of Fosun’s Hong Kong-traded shares in the past year, the
- Buffett's Deal-Making End Game @ Forbes - 23 hours ago
There was a lot not to like in the yearend report of Berkshire Hathaway. But, the stock’s trajectory, up 28%, made it unmistakably a 2014 absolute and comparative winner. All this in a year when hedge fund operators woefully underperformed the S&P 500 Index as did the majority of big
- There's One Big Thing Preventing Nvidia's Shield Console From Greatness @ Forbes - 23 hours ago
With its third and most promising iteration of Shield, Nvidia is still forgetting the one crucial component of competing in the console space.