- Will Michael Raneri's Venovate Be The Real Jumpstart for the JOBS Act? @ Forbes - 24 minutes ago
A Series of Forbes Insights Profiles of Thought Leaders Changing the Business Landscape: Michael Raneri, Founder and CEO, Venovate... The JOBS Act (Jumpstart Our Business Startups) enacted by President Obama in 2012 was created to encourage small business and start up funding by easing federal securities laws and removing …
- Today, Apple Raises The Minimum Wage @ Forbes - 1 hour 6 minutes ago
As Apple Pay and similar NFC technologies become the mainstream, the millions working in minimum wage jobs that also benefit from tips will benefit.
- Smartsheet Wants To Help Enterprises To Visualize Their Work @ Forbes - 1 hour 7 minutes ago
Smartsheet is a cloud software company offering collaboration and work management. They deliver an unusual spreadsheet-like interface to a project management tool. With success in construction, consulting, education and utility firms, Smartsheet is a fairly novel approach to a problem many organizations face – wrangling …
- Cazena Announced $8M Funding By Saying Nothing About Its Product @ Forbes - 1 hour 7 minutes ago
You can tell that a term has jumped the shark when a press release is issued saying nothing but dropping the term half a dozen times or so. The example of the day goes to Cazena, a stealthy startup that is today announcing an $* million Series A funding round [...]
- Hasbro Misses Third Quarter Earnings Estimate As Preschool Sales Soften @ Forbes - 1 hour 11 minutes ago
Toymaker Hasbro reported mixed earnings results Monday morning, posting a third quarter revenue that came in line with what Wall Street analysts were expecting but a per-share profit figure that missed the analyst consensus
- These Are The Key Numbers For Apple's September Quarter @ Forbes - 1 hour 32 minutes ago
As usual revenue, gross margin and iPhone units are the critical items in Apple's quarterly results.
- 5 Things To Look For Ahead Of Apple Earnings @ Forbes - 1 hour 36 minutes ago
Apple announces after the close today with eyes on just how good the launch of the iPhone 6 really was. With low expectations around last-quarter's iPad numbers and new models arriving shortly, Apple's forward-looking guidance will get even more scrutiny than usual.
- 10 Ways Employers Can Revamp 401(k)s @ Forbes - 2 hours 14 minutes ago
The dirty secret: no two 401(k) plans are alike. Here's how you can make yours better.
- Apple Pay Is Here And It's Going To Be Great: Why The Skeptics Have It Wrong @ Forbes - 2 hours 47 minutes ago
Apple's mobile wallet Apple Pay goes live today with skeptics questioning the need and lots of misinformation running about. This deep dive will answer some of your most important questions about the new technology and explain why it really is the next big thing.
- Paul Krugman's Error Over Amazon's Market Power @ Forbes - 2 hours 57 minutes ago
Paul Krugman tells us that Amazon has significant market power: he's right, Amazon does have significant market power. Krugman also tells us that Amazon is exercising that market power: again, he's right, Amazon is exercising that market power. The trifecta comes when he tells us that therefore public policy should [.. …
- IRS Blocks Inversions, So AbbVie Pays $1.64 Billion Kill Fee To Shire...And Deducts It @ Forbes - 8 hours ago
Obama's Treasury Department Took Action To Stop Inversions, and AbbVie Has Dropped Shire. That Triggers a $1.64 Billion Break-up Fee. The IRS Can't Block that Tax Deduction.
- Apple Pay Has Finally Arrived! Great - But Here Are 7 Reasons It Won't Be A Slam-Dunk Success @ Forbes - 8 hours ago
Judging from most of the coverage of Apple Pay, the mobile wallet that launches Monday, you'd think Apple has already revolutionized the $4 trillion U.S. payments market before anyone has even used it in the wild. But based on research into rival wallets and interviews with merchants, payment tech firms, and payments experts, …
- Customer Satisfaction Can Kill: The Deadly 'Who Cares?' Phenomenon And Customer Loyalty @ Forbes - 11 hours ago
Your customer flat out betrays you, leaving you for the competition right after reporting on your customer service survey that she is "satisfied" or even "very satisfied": An experience like this, where nothing goes wrong yet the customer goes away, can lead a business leader to wonder if satisfactory customer service, …
- Russia's Investment Grade Status Teeters On Edge Following Moody's Downgrade @ Forbes - 11 hours ago
Russia still investment grade, but sanctions have made it harder for banks there to finance themselves...and their clients.
- Week Ahead: Can Apple, Microsoft, Amazon And China Calm Markets? @ Forbes - 14 hours ago
After the most volatile week markets have seen in years, investors will look to a slew of company earnings from major corporations this coming week to settle nerves — but will the companies involved produce the positive outlook that traders are looking for? Roughly 20 per cent of the firms in [...]
- Microsoft Plans To Launch A Wearable Device Within Weeks @ Forbes - 17 hours ago
The cross-platform smart watch will passively monitor heart rate and have a battery life of more than two days, sources say.
- What Scares Apple About Its GTAT Contracts? @ Forbes - 17 hours ago
Apple has asked for a blanket approval to seal all of its GTAT contracts but the judge is highly skeptical.
- What Does Warren Buffett See In Car Dealers? @ Forbes - 18 hours ago
When Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (NYSE: BRK.A and BRK.B) announced the purchase of the largest privately owned U.S. auto dealership group earlier this month, market watchers and Buffettologists everywhere wondered what was behind the move and whether Buffett and others will buy additional dealerships. After …
- Nexus 9 Benchmark Leak Hints At Impending Tablet Performance Throw-Down Vs. iPad Air 2 @ Forbes - 20 hours ago
Google's recent announcement of their forthcoming Nexus 9 tablet came with a surprise specification bomb-drop that almost no one expected. We had heard rumblings previously that Nvidia's 64-bit Tegra K1 might be powering the device but seeing it confirmed last week, when the chip is such a significant departure from [ …
- Like 1950s Detroit, Boeing Is Underestimating Emerging Japanese Competition @ Forbes - 20 hours ago
In underestimating emerging Japanese competition, the U.S. aerospace industry is going the way of Detroit.
- Weekend Box Office: Brad Pitt's 'Fury' Tops With $23.5M, 'Birdman' Nabs $415K @ Forbes - 22 hours ago
In arguably another win for star-driven, adult-skewing, R-rated multiplex entertainments, Fury, the new World War II tank-set drama starring Brad Pitt, topped the box office this weekend with $23.5 million. The $68 million release from Sony, produced by QED International, LStar Capital, and Le Grisbi Productions/Crave Films, …
- Health Industry Cashes In One Year After Rocky Obamacare Rollout @ Forbes - 23 hours ago
Even after the disastrous rollout of the healthcare.gov web site a year ago, health insurance companies and providers of medical care are reporting more promising profits as third quarter earnings emerge. Although the next enrollment period for uninsured Americans seeking coverage from government-run exchanges under the …
- Why 'Senator Warren Buffett' And 'Rep. Peter Thiel' Would Be Really Lousy Investors @ Forbes - Sun, Oct 19, 2014 9:00 AM EDT
To succeed, investors must fail.
- Apple Now Makes 56 Different iPads. This Guide Will Help You Pick The Perfect One @ Forbes - Sun, Oct 19, 2014 8:15 AM EDT
Apple has created a bewildering array of iPads to choose among this year: 56 models to be precise. With so many options to sort through, it might help to have a method to hone in on the perfect iPad for you. That's what this guide does.
- Is Alibaba's Data Tampering An Isolated Incident? @ Forbes - Sun, Oct 19, 2014 12:05 AM EDT
You may have heard it – Tmall, the B2C platform of New York Exchanges-listed Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba, has tampered with its online data. For readers who have not been following this story, here is a brief version of what happened: Someone noticed a sudden, inexplicable spike in the pre-order numbers [...]
- Advancing Warfare: The Wheel of Shooter Evolution Between Call of Duty, Halo, Titanfall and Destiny @ Forbes - Sat, Oct 18, 2014 5:03 PM EDT
The latest trailer for Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare has debuted, showcasing a game full of "enhanced combat" where soldiers wearing exoskeletons are leaping and dashing through levels in way that is reminiscent of more than a few past series. And then you can look to Destiny, made by the creators [...]
- Motorola Moto G Vs Everything Else: There's No Competition, This Is The Number One Smartphone @ Forbes - Sat, Oct 18, 2014 3:43 PM EDT
Sitting down to do a feature on Motorola's latest budget handset, the Motorola Moto G (2014), I find myself in a quandary. Is the Moto G that most elusive of handsets? Is Motoroloa's pocket rocket the number one choice for smartphone buyers in today's market?
- Volume Always Precedes Price @ Forbes - Sat, Oct 18, 2014 1:05 PM EDT
This statement is one of the cardinal beliefs held by most technicians. It first came to my attention in the late 1970s when I read Joe Granville's book New Strategy of Daily Stock Market Timing for Maximum Profit, where he wrote “stocks do not rise in price unless demand exceeds supply. Demand is measured in volume and …
- Two Convenient Myths About Leadership* @ Forbes - Sat, Oct 18, 2014 12:44 PM EDT
Anyone following the leadership turmoil in American iconic firms like EK, HP and JC Penney in recent decades -- or having observed how different divisions, departments, and teams are managed within large organizations -- cannot help but reach a sober conclusion: academic credentials and technical experience do not make …
- Box Office: Brad Pitt's 'Fury' Shells $8.8M Friday @ Forbes - Sat, Oct 18, 2014 10:55 AM EDT
I am quite grateful that Fury, the new World War II tank-set drama starring Brad Pitt, didn't bomb this weekend at the box office, mostly so I didn't have to resist the urge to headline the pieces this weekend something along the lines of "Brad Pitt Tanks." Anyway, David Ayer's Fury is indeed [...]
- The Innovation Challenge For Lockheed Martin @ Forbes - Sat, Oct 18, 2014 10:22 AM EDT
There was some earth-shatteringly important news last week, and it had nothing to do with Ebola: Lockheed Martin announced it had invented a compact fusion reactor that fits on a semi-trailer flatbed. Granted, it may require a decade of work to finish, but the technology could disrupt energy, utilities, even space-travel. …
- Ebola Outbreak Shows The Dark Side Of Mother Nature @ Forbes - Sat, Oct 18, 2014 9:57 AM EDT
It was an amber August night in Western Uganda in 2007. As the director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), I suited up in full biosafety gear to observe a team of our top disease detectives as they tried to find the source of a deadly [...]
- Cash Is King No More As Mobile Payments Soar @ Forbes - Sat, Oct 18, 2014 7:11 AM EDT
While real-time payments, especially via mobile, are growing fast, the U.S. systems lags in moving to real-time and its dependence on checks.
- Talkin' To Chuck: Charles Schwab On The Most Important Thing About Investing @ Forbes - Sat, Oct 18, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Social session: Chuck Schwab answers Forbes readers' questions on investing, from how to get started to how to get wealthy.
- Selling Direct-to-Consumers Will Give HBO More Pricing Power, Not Less @ Forbes - Sat, Oct 18, 2014 6:27 AM EDT
With the recent announcements of à la carte options from both HBO and CBS , there has been speculation that cable and satellite distribution companies might try to pay lower fees to these cable channels because they no longer have exclusivity. But I think it will go the other way: by having [...]
- 'Sunset Overdrive' Breaks 4th Wall With Clever In-Game Message To Reviewers @ Forbes - Sat, Oct 18, 2014 1:06 AM EDT
Insomniac Games breaks the 4th wall with an in-game message to Sunset Overdrive reviewers, but it's indicative of a larger developing trend to abandon the traditionally rigid press/publisher relationship.
- Is International Diversification Still Valuable? @ Forbes - Sat, Oct 18, 2014 12:28 AM EDT
Europe is no one’s favorite region right now. We are two years on from the euro crisis of 2010-2012 where interest rates on government debt from Portugal to Ireland went through the roof. Now European growth is lurching, once again, closer to negative territory at a time when the US [...]
- Apple Seeds Perk Wars, Adds Egg Freezing As Employee Benefit @ Forbes - Fri, Oct 17, 2014 8:01 PM EDT
Apple and Facebook have fired the latest round in the "perk wars" - efforts to woo and keep talent in the tech sector. Not content with fancy meals, tech companies are offering female employees the opportunity to freeze their eggs. As perks keep expanding, what are the tax consequences to those employees?
- Apple Loop: Laser-Thin iPads, Life Lessons From Steve Jobs, Apple SIM Threatens Network Domination @ Forbes - Fri, Oct 17, 2014 7:23 PM EDT
This week’s Apple Loop covers the October 16th event, the new iPads, a new marketing phrase in 5K Retina, the update to the Mac Mini, thoughts on the missing 32 GB options, OSX Yosemite arrives, iOS 8.1 revealed, life lessons from Steve Jobs, and did Apple really cripple Finland?
- Android Circuit: Samsung's Continued Collapse, Android Loves Lollipops, Stunning Nexus Hardware @ Forbes - Fri, Oct 17, 2014 7:14 PM EDT
This week’s Android Circuit highlights a number of stories including all the details of the new Nexus devices, the low-down on Android 5.0 Lollipop and the rollout of 5.0, reviewing the Samsung Galaxy Alpha, Q3 numbers from the world of Android, and the upcoming update of Android Wear.
- The Week Ahead: Is the Individual Investor Right? @ Forbes - Fri, Oct 17, 2014 6:56 PM EDT
Both investors and traders are likely to be relieved that the week is over after the stock market’s rollercoaster ride last week. The action in the overseas markets on Friday did help as the EuroZone markets opened strong with the German Dax up 3.12% on the close. The even weaker Italian and Spanish markets were also strong …
- Apple, Yahoo, and Gilead: Treats In A Tricky Market @ Forbes - Fri, Oct 17, 2014 3:17 PM EDT
Recent market volatility has produced some frightening headlines and unpleasant surprises to shareholders. Monster swings in the market are not likely over yet since earnings season isn't even half-way through. Nervous investors and opportunistic traders alike are preparing themselves for a scary ride all the way to Halloween. …
- Will Michigan Ban Tesla From Selling Cars There? @ Forbes - Fri, Oct 17, 2014 2:46 PM EDT
Michigan has tried hard to change its image from that of a bastion for the Detroit auto companies. But some state lawmakers are trying to convince Gov. Rick Snyder to inadvertently give the car companies protection against billionaire Elon Musk and Tesla Motors. The governor has until Tuesday to decide whether [...]
- Apple Watch: Developers And Mobile Entrepreneurs At Work @ Forbes - Fri, Oct 17, 2014 2:18 PM EDT
Some people feel comforted by getting up every morning and doing the same thing every day—going through the same motions month after month, year after year, with only slight deviations. That’s not how most entrepreneurs operate, least of all those in the ever-changing world of tech. That in mind, you can [...]
- Dreamforce Recap: As Benioff Remained Master Showman, Wave And Lightning Look To Shine @ Forbes - Fri, Oct 17, 2014 1:59 PM EDT
Salesforce.com's banner Dreamforce conference in 2014 delivered on many of its promises. For a company that makes $5 billion in revenue per year, Salesforce punches way above its weight when it comes to a party. There were more than 140,000 registered attendees and hundreds of companies packing multiple convention halls. …
- Kansas City Southern Touts Solid Growth, But Stock Slips Further Behind Rivals @ Forbes - Fri, Oct 17, 2014 1:49 PM EDT
Despite strong earnings growth driven by a robust U.S. economy, the stock of Kansas City Southern Railway took a hit Wednesday morning.
- What To Do When Ebola Headlines Hit Your Stock Portfolio @ Forbes - Fri, Oct 17, 2014 1:29 PM EDT
Ebola scares in the headlines have unfairly battered some travel stocks. Time to buy or wait and see?
- Keep Calm Over Dow Jones Industrial Average's Nosedive And Carry On @ Forbes - Fri, Oct 17, 2014 1:21 PM EDT
Volatility on the markets is normal. Long live volatility! And, this week my thoughts returned to turbulent stock markets around the globe. It does not seem so long ago that the equity markets on the major indexes were in rude form and hitting news highs. Then the wheels seemed to [...]
- Back In Bull Mode? Market Jumps On Earnings @ Forbes - Fri, Oct 17, 2014 1:06 PM EDT
U.S. equity markets jumped into positive territory in Friday trading, reversing a trend from a volatile week that saw the Dow take a 450-point plunge in Wednesday intraday trading and the S&P hit its worst three-day losing streak since 2011. All three U.S. indices are up 1.5% or more in midday trading Friday, lifted by …
- Apple Outlook: Can Strong iPhone Sales Offset Weak iPads? @ Forbes - Fri, Oct 17, 2014 12:45 PM EDT
With iPad units and revenue declining strong iPhone sales are needed to generate good growth.