- Big 10 Celebrates Medal Of Honor Centennial @ Forbes - 1 hour 10 minutes ago
Usually this space is reserved for the business of sports. Today I am making an exception. Because this year, the Big 10 Conference is celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Big Ten Medal of Honor. The award deserves this space because too often these days the only off-the-field news athletes [...]
- Apple Loop: iOS 7.1 Adoption, SXSW, Smartwatch Patents, Japanese Marketshare, and Flappy Bird @ Forbes - 7 hours ago
Keeping you in the loop on a few of the very many things that happened around Apple over the last seven days., including Apple's smartwatch patents, market share numbers, investor relations, and a physical Flappy Bird controller.
- Sometimes The Goog Doesn't Help Itself - "Potentially Catastrophic" Bug Surfaces @ Forbes - 11 hours ago
There's little argument against the proposition that Google should be the biggest and most effective public cloud vendor. They have the scale, the networks, the operational experience and are comfortable with commodity-like economics - everything points to them being the one to beat. But then time and again they make [ …
- China's Twitter "Weibo" Files For $500 Million IPO @ Forbes - 13 hours ago
The Chinese version of Twitter, Weibo, filed a preliminary prospectus on Friday for an initial public offering in the U.S. to raise $500 million. Weibo was developed by Nasdaq-listed Sina Corp., which now owns the 77.6% of Weibo. A subsidiary of Alibaba Group owns another 19.3% through a $586 million investment [...]
- The Week Ahead: Stocks or Bonds? @ Forbes - 13 hours ago
The global stock markets had a rough week with the Asian markets hit the hardest but the Eurozone and US were also under pressure. Still, the US averages are holding well above the prior swing lows. The Russian market has been one of the worst, down over 27%, so far this year, and if they are hit with sanctions it will …
- Best States, Worst States For Dividend Lovers @ Forbes - 14 hours ago
If you live in California, stay away from dividend stocks.
- Sam Adams Pulls Out Of St. Patrick's Parade Over Gay Exclusion @ Forbes - 16 hours ago
Billionaire Jim Koch's Boston Beer Co., producer of the popular Sam Adams brew, will no longer be sponsoring Boston's St. Patrick's Day parade because of the organizer's failure to include LGBT groups. The move comes after a Boston bar said it would no longer serve Sam Adams beer because of its support of [...]
- Former Qwest CEO Could Score $18 Million Tax Refund For Forfeited Insider Trading Profits @ Forbes - 16 hours ago
But to get his money, Joseph P. Nacchio will have to convince the judge that he believed he was entitled to those profits when he first paid 2001 taxes on them.
- Sears Holdings to Spin-Off Lands' End @ Forbes - 17 hours ago
Casual clothing retailer Lands’ End has moved one step closer to becoming a stand-alone company. Sears Holdings Corp. announced on March 13, 2014 the details and timeline of its separation. Earlier in December, Sears Holding announced the tax-free spin-off of Land’s End. Post spin-off, Lands’ End will operate as an [. …
- Affordable Asus Chromebox Cloud PC Fires Shot Across Microsoft's Bow @ Forbes - 17 hours ago
Video Recently I spent some quality time testing (and tearing down) the new Asus Chromebox small form factor Chrome OS PC. This little 5x5-inch brick runs Google's latest Chrome operating system and the model I tested was based on an Intel Core i3 dual-core (Haswell) processor, 4GB of 1600MHz RAM and [...]
- Three Secrets Of The Only 5 Year Old iPhone Hit App @ Forbes - 17 hours ago
In March 2009, an iPhone app called "Doodle Jump" debuted and entered rapidly the Top 20 paid download chart. Apple's iPhone app platform was still in its infancy and nobody realized just how huge the content empire would be. One early app hit held on for half a decade of [...]
- American Express To Shed Light On Nation's Unbanked @ Forbes - 17 hours ago
Appropriately enough, American Express chose SXSW as the place to unveil its upcoming documentary on life among the unbanked.
- FDA Grants New Indication For Pfizer/Bristol Anticoagulant @ Forbes - 17 hours ago
The FDA has approved a new indication for apixaban (Eliquis), the anticoagulant drug manufactured by Bristol-Myers Squibb and Pfizer. The new indication is for the prophylaxis of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) in patients who have undergone hip or knee replacement surgery. DVT can lead to the life-threatening condition of pulmonary …
- Free March Madness Contests Are Generally Legal, But Pay-To-Enter NCAA Tournament Pools Are Not @ Forbes - 17 hours ago
A few weeks ago, I wrote about the Quicken Loans Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge, which fans can enter on the Yahoo website. This contest is likely in full compliance with federal and state gaming laws because the contest is free to enter. However, unlike the free March Madness contests which are unlikely to [...]
- Warren Buffett Fundamentally Misunderstands Bitcoin @ Forbes - 17 hours ago
Warren Buffett is one the most successful humans in history, whose utterances can move markets, but that doesn't mean he has a clue about crypto-currency.
- Lockheed Martin Moves To Dominate Cyber Defense Of Electric Grid & Energy Complex @ Forbes - 18 hours ago
Lockheed Martin, the world's biggest defense company, did something unusual this week. It bought a commercial cybersecurity firm called Industrial Defender. The firm is a leading player in the rapidly growing business of protecting electric grids, oil pipelines and chemical plants against cyber threats. What's unusual …
- Apple's iPhone 5s Is The Dominant Smartphone In Japan @ Forbes - 19 hours ago
Apple's iPhone 5s is dominating Japan's smartphone market.
- Yoshi's New Island Is Sweet To A Fault @ Forbes - 19 hours ago
Video Playing Yoshi's New Island was like being force-fed artisan chocolate: I appreciated the craftsmanship, but wanted it to stop. Not a bad game, but all sugar and no substance. From the pastel graphics to the baby-toy soundtrack, it's sweet to a fault; not interesting, or innovative, or challenging, just cute. (read …
- PepsiCo's Bittersweet Symphony: Sugar Variants Might Save Ailing Sodas In Time @ Forbes - 19 hours ago
PepsiCo announced the introduction of naturally sweetened sodas in the non-cola segment this year, with cola products following suit later on. Unit sales of the diet version of the flagship flavored drink Mountain Dew fell by over 5% in the U.S. convenience stores last year. Aiming to revive sales of diet soft drinks, PepsiCo …
- CSX Optimistic About Domestic Coal Business, Power Plant Closures May Affect Demand @ Forbes - 19 hours ago
Domestic coal business for the entire freight railroad industry has been declining for two reasons. Firstly, because of the competition from natural gas and secondly because of the inventory overhang. The trends for these factors seem to be reversing because of which CSX feels optimistic about its domestic coal busines …
- Regulatory Uncertainties And Mixed 4G Strategy Overshadow China Unicom's Otherwise Strong Fundamenta … @ Forbes - 19 hours ago
Initially, the company was unable to decide between TD-LTE and FDD-LTE technology for its 4G launch, which gave a competitive advantage to its peers, who had already launched their services. Moreover, the delay in the issuance of FDD licences and the introduction of a VAT in the telecom sector by the government has increased …
- NASDAQ OMX Introduces Kill Switch On Trading Platform, Two New Indexes @ Forbes - 19 hours ago
Its stock price has risen by over 50% since the start of 2013 even though it has lost share in its U.S. cash trading business and faced criticism due to some technical glitches last year. The increase in its stock price can be attributed to growing derivatives trading volumes and the acquisitions that drove its non-transaction …
- Coal Could Soon Be Portfolio Fuel @ Forbes - 20 hours ago
One of the potential beneficiaries of this huge multi-month rally in natural gas prices may be a sector that’s been largely left for dead, and that sector is coal.
- Video Game Sales Drop 11% In February @ Forbes - 20 hours ago
Video game software sales continue to slip despite new consoles from Sony and Microsoft.
- Swordfish Attacks BP Oilfield In Angola @ Forbes - 21 hours ago
Offshore oil platforms are hotbeds of biological diversity.
- BDC Yield Hogging @ Forbes - 21 hours ago
Here's one way to add higher yields to your portfolio.
- How To Celebrate Pi Day @ Forbes - 21 hours ago
On March 14th, also noted as 3.14, math fans celebrate a constant we all know and love.
- Stealth Ads: How Restaurants Are Building Customer Loyalty On YouTube @ Forbes - 21 hours ago
With consumers increasingly tuning out traditional TV ads, how will restaurant chains reach you and build your loyalty to their brand? For the answer, check out the eateries' YouTube videos.
- Malaysia Air Flight 370: Significance Of Latest Clues @ Forbes - 21 hours ago
While there is much that remains unconfirmed, reliable sources have reported significant new clues to what occurred on board Malaysia Air Flight 370 which make a catastrophic failure of the aircraft an unlikely reason for the aircraft's initial disappearance from civilian radar. The first is that after the transponders …
- IRS Reports More Taxpayers Filing Taxes From Home In 2014 @ Forbes - 22 hours ago
With just about a month left in tax season, IRS is reporting an uptick in the numbers of taxpayers filing from home computers. Are you one of them?
- Liberty Media Surges After John Malone Drops Sirius XM Bid @ Forbes - 22 hours ago
The billionaire will also be executing one of his classic maneuvers: splitting up his company into separate tracking stocks.
- Norwegian Sovereign Wealth Adds To Morocco's Energy Headache @ Forbes - 22 hours ago
Ethical concerns about Morocco’s treatment of the Western Sahara have spurred Norway’s $850 billion Sovereign Wealth Fund to review their connection to one of the few firms operating there.
- A Possible First Look At Amazon's Uninspired Gaming Controller @ Forbes - 22 hours ago
Amazon's upcoming set-top box may be unannounced, unconfirmed and generally unspoken of so far, but most agree that it's coming, and it will include sort of gaming component. While Amazon's box certainly wouldn't be a fully fledged console like the PS4 or Xbox One, it would be probably be closer [...]
- Remedy Suggestions For Comcast-Time Warner Cable @ Forbes - 22 hours ago
Lawyers seem confident that Comcast’s $45 billion acquisition of Time Warner Cable will pass muster with antitrust regulators, perhaps as early as the end of the year or as late as 1Q15. Since Comcast agreed to divest 3 million subscribers upon announcement of the merger in February, and the combined [...]
- Book Review: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Fracking @ Forbes - 22 hours ago
For all the public outcry over hydraulic fracturing, for all breathless documentaries of people lighting faucets, for all the hyperbolic Internet screeds, and for all the talk of America’s new energy revolution, the story of fracking is sadly mundane. If you don’t work in or around the oil business, it’s difficult [... …
- Where Is The Outrage Over Corporate Welfare? @ Forbes - 22 hours ago
The sheer size of the corporate welfare system should spark outrage whether we are conservatives, liberals, or libertarians.
- GLD or GDX -- Which Has Less Risk? @ Forbes - 23 hours ago
It was a pretty ugly close in the US markets on Thursday with 1.5% losses in both the Dow Industrials and S&P 500. The Dow Utilities bucked the trend while technical weakness in the Philadelphia Oil Service Index has pushed it almost 3% lower in the past five days. The market internals at 2-1 negative could have been worse …
- No Up Trends In Brazil, Says Barclays @ Forbes - 23 hours ago
Brazil's economy is stuck in "mais ou menos" land. For the bears, it's more "menos" -- as in less -- than it is "mais" -- as in more. Retail sales surprised to the upside in January, but most economic data is expected to come in relatively flat to negative for February. [...]
- 'Batman/Superman' Will "Lose" Showdown With 'Captain America 3' @ Forbes - 23 hours ago
Remember the thread running through Captain America and The Avengers with Steve Rogers constantly jumping onto a grenade? Well, Steve Rogers just jumped onto another one. As of yesterday afternoon, The Hollywood Reporter reported that the mystery movie that Marvel Studios and Walt Disney has slotted for May 6th, 2016 is …
- How To (In)effectively Time The Market @ Forbes - 23 hours ago
Potential Damage of Trying to Time the Market
- The Latest Iron Ore Price Slump: Causes And Effects @ Forbes - Fri, Mar 14, 2014 8:52 AM EDT
The mining majors remain unfazed by this decline, claiming that it is a short-term phenomenon and there is no change in their long-term demand projections. Rio Tinto , Vale and BHP Billiton are best placed to ride out this phase since they have lower costs of production compared to other players in the industry due to economies …
- Why ANR's Met Coal Shipments Will Decline This Year Despite Higher Global Steel Production @ Forbes - Fri, Mar 14, 2014 8:48 AM EDT
China, which has typically been the largest driver of met coal demand, is expected to see lower growth this year due to slowing infrastructure spending. Although the shifting demand mix appears to be favorable to Alpha, given that Europe and Latin America have traditionally been among its biggest markets, the company has …
- Adobe Earnings Preview: Revenues From Cloud Services In Focus @ Forbes - Fri, Mar 14, 2014 8:46 AM EDT
In this earnings announcement, we expect the growth trend in cloud adoption to continue, which will drive revenues for Creative cloud and Acrobat family divisions. Furthermore, we expect Adobe's marketing cloud division to report yet another quarter of growth, buoyed by adoption of its marketing platform. However, we expect …
- Should State Street Worry About ETF Outflows? @ Forbes - Fri, Mar 14, 2014 8:39 AM EDT
While a decline in demand for equity ETFs has been seen across the industry and is beyond State Street’s control, we believe that there is one factor that is working against the SPDR S&P 500 – its expense ratio – and it might need to be addressed by the asset management giant.
- Qualcomm Benefits From China Mobile's Likely Shift To Five-Mode Handsets @ Forbes - Fri, Mar 14, 2014 8:38 AM EDT
If the rumors are true, it could be a big near-term advantage for Qualcomm, which was the first to launch multi-mode chipsets and is currently the market leader in LTE baseband shipments. Further, the fact that five-mode handsets carry higher royalties than three-mode should boost Qualcomm’s higher-margin licensing bus …
- PS4 Continues To Beat Xbox One Through February @ Forbes - Thu, Mar 13, 2014 6:58 PM EDT
The NPD numbers for February are in, and Sony's PS4 takes the #1 spot for all hardware sales, according to the company. We don't have a specific count, but Microsoft announced 258,000 Xbox Ones sold, so we know that it's more than that. "NPD Group: PS4 is #1 again for the [...]
- Apple Wins With Hedge Funds While Google Is Top Choice For Mutual Funds @ Forbes - Thu, Mar 13, 2014 6:28 PM EDT
A new analysis of hedge fund and mutual fund holdings reveals that mutual funds favor Google, Microsoft and Wells Fargo stock while hedge funds put Apple in first, followed by Google and Facebook.
- Google Drive - Like A Bird Going Cheap, Cheap, Cheap @ Forbes - Thu, Mar 13, 2014 6:26 PM EDT
Ahhhh - the joys of a price war. Awesome for consumers (at least in the short term), great for market share building but frankly pretty crap for the bottom line. And something that is a regular feature of the cloud file sharing space. Today it was the turn of Google to [...]
- Microsoft Xbox One Stereo Headset Review @ Forbes - Thu, Mar 13, 2014 5:39 PM EDT
Is it worth plunking down $79 to add Microsoft's newly released Stereo Headset and Adapter to your audio arsenal? Find out in our review.
- Another Chinese Default - But It's Still Not A Bear Stearns Moment For China @ Forbes - Thu, Mar 13, 2014 5:04 PM EDT
On Thursday, China's premier, Li Keqiang, warned that the country was likely to experience a number of defaults as a consequence of the government increasing financial deregulation. At a press conference, he described future bond defaults as "unavoidable." Last week a failure by Shanghai Chaori Solar Energy to meet interest …