- Five Quant Short Stock Picks @ Forbes - 5 minutes ago
Back in 2005, there was an article at Forbes called ‘Wolverine Shorts’ and in it I listed five quant short stock picks. Since the market has gone up recently, I thought it would be interesting to find five new ones. What are my five favorite quant shorts right now? I’ll [...]
- One Simple Trick For Time Warner To Boost Its Share Price @ Forbes - 5 minutes ago
An HBO tracking stock would help unlock some value at Time Warner.
- The Inside Story of Bob Lutz's 1935 Riley MPH Car @ Forbes - 53 minutes ago
The car is notable not only for its extreme rarity but also because it was owned for 50 years by Bub Lutz, the former chairman of General Motors.
- The Ten Most Desirable Video Game Companies to Work For @ Forbes - 1 hour 14 minutes ago
With the explosive growth of the gaming industry, especially in recent years, new graduates are flooding into the field with stars in their eyes, hoping to create the next indie darling or blockbuster mega-hit. It's a tough business with long hours and high expectations, and there are plenty of lessons [...]
- Help Parents Avoid Unwanted Medical Treatment @ Forbes - 1 hour 14 minutes ago
A study shows older adults aren’t getting the care they want at life’s end.
- Wal-Mart Drops iPhone 5c price to $.97, Preps For iPhone 6 @ Forbes - 1 hour 30 minutes ago
Mega-retailer Wal-Mart is dropping the price on it’s 5c model iPhone to a mere $.97 with a contract, according to spokespeople people for the company. CNet is reporting that at as of 9 am this morning, Walmart will charge $.97 for it’s budget 5c and $79 for it’s sturdier and flashier [...]
- Postscript To A Missing Fish: A Call From FedEx @ Forbes - 1 hour 34 minutes ago
Although errors cascaded along the way, in the end FedEx did the right thing — both by me and by the fish.
- Will Aeropostale, Abercrombie And Fitch And American Eagle Be Around In Five Years? @ Forbes - 1 hour 39 minutes ago
Although Julian Geiger, who ran Aeropostale during its heyday, has returned as chief executive officer, all the CEO changes in the world likely won't do much to reverse the retailer's sagging sales and profit losses. It’s no secret that the youth-serving trio Aeropostale, Abercrombie & Fitch and American Eagle has struggled …
- How High Can the Utilities Go? @ Forbes - 1 hour 53 minutes ago
Wednesday's release of the FOMC minutes revived the debate over when the Fed might raise rates and has added further focus on Friday's Jackson Hole meetings. The Nasdaq 100, which has been leading the market, was flat for the day while the small-cap Russell 2000 was down 0.43%. The market internals were neutral, which has …
- Hey Dad - Sending Your Daughter to College? Watch/Read/Cry Over These! @ Forbes - 2 hours 58 minutes ago
Every year about this time, the routine is a familiar one. The kids come back from camp, the vacations wind down, and parents all over the country pack up the car and take their eldest child to college for the first time. Yet this year, it all seems different…. Well, in [...]
- Bank Of America's $16.65 Billion Settlement And The Last Dinosaur Of The Financial Crisis @ Forbes - 3 hours ago
Angelo Mozilo, the co-founder of Countrywide Financial, is the face of the biggest federal government settlement in history.
- Log Differentiation--Logentries Alerts On The Stuff That Doesn't Happen @ Forbes - 3 hours ago
There are a bunch of vendors that promise to ingest all of the log data an organization creates and make sense from it. In essence these platforms all allow an organization to collect the various pieces of information about infrastructure and application performance and do something meaningful with them. It’s [...]
- Nintendo Loses Third Party Staple As 'Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare' Will Skip Wii U @ Forbes - 3 hours ago
It's been a rough string of headlines for Nintendo as of late, and the company is facing serious trouble trying to hang on to what little third party support the Wii U had at launch. First, it was Ubisoft announcing that despite two different games being released across the two [...]
- Family Dollar To Dollar General: We're Just Not That Into You @ Forbes - 3 hours ago
Family Dollar already has a marriage partner, and the company isn't happy with another suitor trying to crash the wedding.
- Bank Of America Settles With Uncle Sam Over Mortgages For Nearly $17B @ Forbes - 3 hours ago
Bank of America settles mortgage claims with Uncle Sam for $9.7B in cash, $7B in consumer relief.
- Lincoln Recruits 'Lincoln Lawyer' McConaughey To Front For Brand @ Forbes - 3 hours ago
Considered under the knife as recently as a year ago, Lincoln now has recruited Oscar-winning, au courant actor Matthew McConaughey to front for the brand as Ford continues its about-face over the fate of its iconic luxury franchise. McConaughey will debut in an ad next month introducing Lincoln's MKC sport-utility vehicle, …
- iPhone 6: Doctors Raise Concerns Over Apple HealthKit @ Forbes - 4 hours ago
Apple HealthKit will launch with the iPhone 6, but it has medical professionals worried.
- Sears CEO: Retailer's Loss, Revenue Decline 'Unacceptable' @ Forbes - 4 hours ago
The company endured a $573 million net loss or $5.39 per share, a sharp decline from last year and a far cry from expectations.
- Forex: Will Jackson Hole Pow-Wow Be Another Plaza Accord? @ Forbes - 4 hours ago
The U.S. dollar is trading at 11-month highs against several major currencies on Thursday as investors zero in on the two-day central bank symposium getting underway in Jackson Hole, Wyo., today. As the world’s most powerful financial players meet at the mountain resort to talk shop, market chatter suggests this year’s …
- Dispelling The Myth of Corporate Cash Hoarding @ Forbes - 4 hours ago
Corporations are not hoarding cash. Cash holdings are slightly up as a percent of sales and down as a percent of debt. Hiring and capital expenditures are healthy. Corporate cash hoarding is not holding back the recovery.
- Review: 'Sin City: A Dame To Kill For' A Not-So-Guilty Pleasure @ Forbes - 4 hours ago
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For is more low-key than the first Sin City, but it's also a more enjoyable romp thanks to another grand Eva Green star turn. The Box Office: I don't know why it took nine years for Sin City fans to get their much-demanded sequel, but at last we have Sin [...]
- Three Bids For Buffalo Bills Are Each Below $900 Million @ Forbes - 4 hours ago
The circus that has been masquerading as the sale of the Buffalo Bills has received three non-binding bids to date, each below $900 million, according to two sources familiar with the sale of the National Football League team. Both of these sources are not directly involved in the sale as [...]
- iPhone 6 Killers? Samsung, Sony And LG Ready Their Rival Devices For IFA 2014 @ Forbes - 5 hours ago
As Apple reportedly gears up for its September iPhone 6 launch, every other smartphone manufacturer will be watching with a close eye from IFA 2014 in Berlin. The annual consumer electronics show will take place in two weeks and we’re expecting to see a host of new TVs, smartphones, tablets [...]
- VMware Hybrid Now Available In Ubuntu Flavors @ Forbes - 5 hours ago
Yesterday the news came, in advance of VMware’s annual US conference (disclosure, VMware is covering my travel and expenses to attend VMworld) that the VMware hybrid cloud service, vCHS, is changing its name. The unfortunately titled v-Cheese is no longer, replaced by the very Apple-like vCloud Air. Different name, same …
- Dear Sony, Here's Why So Many People Are Buying The PS4 @ Forbes - 5 hours ago
Sony itself is surprised by the massive success of the PS4 so far. But given the long wait, the low price and the base of gamers it could draw on, maybe it shouldn't have been. Still, keeping the momentum won't be easy.
- Forecast: Tumblr Will Grow 25% In 2014, But It's Slowing Down @ Forbes - 5 hours ago
Yahoo paid about the same price for Tumblr, around $1 billion, as Facebook did when it acquired Instagram, and the two had similar numbers of users at the time of acquisition, in the realm of 30 million. But whereas Instagram growth only accelerated after the sale, passing 200 million earlier this [...]
- Xamarin Raises $54 Million--Because M&A... And Mobile @ Forbes - 6 hours ago
Xamarin is a fascinating vendor. Giving mobile developers the ability to quickly and easily create applications on iOS, Android, Mac and Windows devices in a fully native manner, but from a single code base, is kind of like the holy grail for developers. Xamarin boasts that its platform is used [...]
- DoubleDutch Scoops $19 Million Series D--But Will Anyone Use It? @ Forbes - 7 hours ago
DoubleDutch is vendor of mobile event applications, a simple enough concept. What they do is to help event organizers capture and surface data from live events. Think of all the mobile touchpoints for an event or conference and DoubleDutch is there – mobile agendas, surveys and polling, attendee networking etc. Attending …
- Why Your Data-Devouring Kids Will Beg You To Buy A Chevy @ Forbes - 7 hours ago
Road trips will be more fun in the back seat with GM's new built-in Wifi hotspot.
- Millennials Latest College Funding Strategy Forbes - 9 hours ago
Millennials are socking away money for their kids’ college education earlier than their parents did for them.
- Illumina Partners With Big Pharma To Create New Genetic Tests For Cancer @ Forbes - 11 hours ago
Illumina, the leading maker of DNA sequencing equipment, is partnering with Sanofi, AstraZeneca, and Johnson & Johnson to create a test for more mutations in dozens of genes that will be used first in clinical trials and, eventually, to help decide which patient should get which marketed drug. The tool is [...]
- Amazon Will Need Farsightedness To Succeed Where Others Have Failed In China @ Forbes - 11 hours ago
Amazon’s high-profile signing this week of a memorandum of understanding to set up a logistics warehouse and a cross-border e-commerce platform in Shanghai is an effort to move more deeply into a China e-commerce market that will become the world’s largest in the coming years. Amazon is looking to set [...]
- What's The ROI Of A Smartphone Given To Patients With A Chronic Health Condition? @ Forbes - 13 hours ago
Thanks to a pilot project announced today by Microsoft, TracFone and Health Choice Network (here) we're about to find out. Set to launch in January, the pilot project is designed to test the theory that smartphones can lower costs and manage chronic conditions like diabetes with better health outcomes. One big [...]
- Stock Rally Lifts Chinese Tutoring Entrepreneur Into World's Billionaire Ranks @ Forbes - 13 hours ago
A big rally in the share price of Chinese after-school tutoring services company TAL Education Group has lifted its CEO Zhang Bangxin into the ranks of the world’s billionaires. TAL Education’s New York-traded shares rose 1.6% overnight to a record $34.57. They have soared from $21.99 at the end of 2013. TAL, [...]
- Shares In Chinese Billionaire's Automaker Geely Fall After Profit Drops 20% @ Forbes - 15 hours ago
Hong Kong-traded shares in Geely, the Chinese automaker controlled by billionaire Li Shufu, lost 0.6% in early trade today after the company said yesterday profit and sales both dropped in the first half from a year earlier. Sales fell by 32% to 10.1 billion yuan, or $1.6 billion, and net [...]
- Brazil's Central Bank Takes Action As Economic Outlook Worsens @ Forbes - 17 hours ago
The Central Bank of Brazil gives lenders more money to burn as economy falters.
- Intel Is Already Inside Your Data Center, But Wants a Bigger, Better Spot @ Forbes - 17 hours ago
With Intel’s Developer Forum (IDF) just around the corner, it’s a great time to assess the company’s current position and likely moves as it addresses tumultuous changes in its primary consumer and enterprise businesses. For IT managers, the focus should be less on PC and mobile processors, or whether Intel [...]
- Is Your Company Anti-Vacation? Time To Rethink Time-Off Policies @ Forbes - 19 hours ago
Half of all Americans don't use their vacation time. That is a short term action which imperils long-term performance, and leaders must start addressing.
- How A Culture Of Innovation Could Win Netflix Some Emmys @ Forbes - 20 hours ago
If Netflix wins some major awards Monday night, it will be a very big deal for Hollywood.
- Hewlett-Packard Reports Revenue Growth @ Forbes - 20 hours ago
HP reported $27.6 billion in third quarter revenue.
- Ford Gets Payoff From Products, Marketing For Millennials @ Forbes - 20 hours ago
Ford believes that its five-year effort to court Millennial consumers is paying off as indicated in data that show the brand has risen to the top in purchase consideration by Generation Y. And as more in that generation become parents, Ford executives also are convinced that their lineup -- from fuel-efficient [...]
- Sony's Boring PS4 Is Winning The Console War Despite More Exciting Competition @ Forbes - 21 hours ago
Despite of its lack of innovative features, the PlayStation 4 continues to outsell the Xbox One and Wii U.
- Carl Icahn Drives Into Hertz, Says He Lacks Confidence In Management @ Forbes - 21 hours ago
Carl Icahn disclosed an 8.48% stake in Hertz Global Holdings on Wednesday after the rental car company’s stock was rocked because of its latest mishap—operational problems that caused the company to withdraw its financial guidance for 2014. A Securities & Exchange Commission filing showed that Icahn had been building a …
- Top Stocks From One of the Biggest Bulls @ Forbes - 22 hours ago
Another day of solid buying and the sharp increase in housing starts gave the homebuilding stocks a boost, which helped the overall market. The A/D lines for the NYSE Composite, S&P 500, Nasdaq 100, and the Dow Jones Industrials have now broken their downtrends. Maybe the Wall Street pros realized that too many of them …
- Here Comes Cheaper Oil: Why Prices Are Set to Fall @ Forbes - 22 hours ago
Oil prices may have begun a multiyear retrenchment as the U.S. starts to liberalize its energy policy. Though it's already begun, it will be expedited by a Republican takeover of the Senate in November. Mexico is moving rapidly to let private companies exploit their vast energy resources. These dramatic changes in policies …
- A Potent Triple Stock Play As Coca-Cola Flexes Its Financial Muscle @ Forbes - 23 hours ago
Investor interest in Coca-Cola perks up as world's largest soft drink company buys large stakes in Keurig and Monster Beverage.
- Who's Behind The Porn Bots On Kik? @ Forbes - 23 hours ago
A small group of English-speaking spammers appear to be trying to swindle Kik’s mostly-teen user base, and evidence shows they’ve been at it since 2010.
- How Chinese Tech Billionaires Are Leading The Country's Ice Bucket Challenge @ Forbes - 23 hours ago
The "Ice Bucket Challenge" has now traveled across the Pacific to the Middle Kingdom.
- Unity Promotes Collaboration With New Cloud Services And Open Sourced Tools At Unite 2014 Developer … @ Forbes - Wed, Aug 20, 2014 1:32 PM EDT
Opening the Unite 2014 Developer Conference in Seattle this morning, Unity Technologies debuted a number of features to build on their already popular development platform Unity. With moves to increase productivity for existing developers, attract new developers, and expand support, the gaming platform continues to build …
- Coursera's New Goal: Teaching At Firms Such As MasterCard @ Forbes - Wed, Aug 20, 2014 1:04 PM EDT
Coursera's massively open online courses are catching the eyes of big employers such as MasterCard, which see certain MOOCs as useful for employee development.