- McKinsey: Only 14% Of Obamacare Exchange Sign-Ups Are Previously Uninsured Enrollees @ Forbes - 1 hour 20 minutes ago
The Obama administration has, for months now, been peddling nice-sounding numbers as to how many people are gaining health coverage due to Obamacare. But their numbers have been inflated on two fronts. First, not everyone who has “selected a marketplace plan” under Obamacare has actually paid the required premiums, payment …
- The Week Ahead: Is Buffett a Market Timer? @ Forbes - 7 hours ago
It was another wild and quite volatile week in the global markets, but once again those bullish on the US stock market won out. Though there has yet to be any solution in the Ukraine crisis, the initial fear that it will develop into a global crisis has subsided for now. The sharp drop last Monday frightened some out of …
- The Secret To Yahoo's Latest News App: One Teenager's Old School Approach @ Forbes - 8 hours ago
The mobile news app that Nick D’Aloisio created for Yahoo ditches personalization for old-time restriction: just a few news stories you ought to know. And that’s it.
- FDA Sprinkles Some Rain On the PCSK9 Inhibitor Parade @ Forbes - 10 hours ago
In the last few years the PCSK9 inhibitors have been one of the few bright lights in an otherwise dismal field of new cardiovascular drugs. Now the FDA is raising questions that could dramatically slow down the progress of these new cholesterol-lowering drugs. Last month Regeneron disclosed that it had been [...]
- March Deadlines For Flexible Spending Accounts Still In Force @ Forbes - 11 hours ago
What’s the difference between the March 15 and the March 31 FSA deadlines?
- Google Could Introduce A Nexus 6 With Smartwatch Later This Year @ Forbes - 11 hours ago
With the Galaxy S5 revealed and the iPhone 6 still months away, the rumor mill is setting its sights on the next Nexus, or perhaps Nexii, if you believe the latest word out of Europe that Google and LG are working together on a Nexus 6 to be introduced at the same time as a Nexus smartwatch in the second half of this y …
- 4K Ultra HD Displays Are All The Rage But Is The Ecosystem Ready For Prime Time? @ Forbes - 11 hours ago
You remember the first time you saw a 1080p full HD movie or video feed. All those beautiful pixels bouncing around in front of you magically transforming the content you were watching into something that looked like it was being played out right in the room with you. The old [...]
- A Tale of Two Valleys @ Forbes - 11 hours ago
Nature abhors a gradient. A high-contrast gradient is forming, and so capital is flowing. The letdown is that the Dickensian duality that follows isn’t about headline bus-protesting Bay Area social inequality, but a different sort of growing gap between haves and have-nots. The item in question is growth—the have-nots once …
- America's most overpriced cities Forbes - 11 hours ago
see photosForbes ImageClick for full photo gallery: America's Most Overpriced Cities 2014 Mention Hawaii, and most Americans will think of clear blue water and sandy beaches, flower leis, Hawaiian shirts ...
- How LinkedIn Can Help You Become A Volunteer @ Forbes - 12 hours ago
Try its new Volunteer Marketplace that will match you up with nonprofits.
- FireEye CEO Doesn't See 'Any Limit' To Cybersecurity Firm's Exponential Growth @ Forbes - 13 hours ago
On Friday, FireEye executed a new share offering over $1 billion to capitalize on the company's skyrocketing share price.
- Bearish Sentiment Could Fuel More Gains For TD Ameritrade @ Forbes - 13 hours ago
Heavy skepticism on AMTD could have contrarian implications down the road. Those wishing to bet on additional gains for TD Ameritrade could consider buying the August 30 call.
- Coupons.com Surging More Than 90% In Stock Market Debut @ Forbes - 14 hours ago
After opening at $16, shares of Coupons.com -- trading under the ticker COUP -- have nearly doubled in the company's first day on the market.
- J.P. Morgan's Long-Awaited ETF: Playing Close To The Vest @ Forbes - 14 hours ago
By Greg McFarlane With 4778 exchange-traded funds (ETFs) in existence, what’s one more? In October 2013, J.P. Morgan Chase filed with the Securities & Exchange Commission to announce its long-awaited entry into exchange-traded funds, with the creation of the J.P. Morgan Global Equity ETF. The filing is notably sparse in …
- This Photographer Just Made $15K In One Day On Instagram @ Forbes - 14 hours ago
Daniel Arnold had $90.03 in his bank account on Thursday when he had a clever idea: Why not sell some photos on Instagram? Arnold, a Brooklyn-based photographer, enjoys a bit of fame on the network: He was lauded by Gawker as "the best photographer on Instagram" two years ago, after getting [...]
- Where To Invest Now? U.S. Growth Funds And Junk Bonds @ Forbes - 14 hours ago
An uncomplicated investment strategy that works: Stick with funds that are outperforming their peers. These 11 fit the bill.
- Status Quo For DT And T-Mobile Has A Shelf Life @ Forbes - 15 hours ago
There are a few unspoken laws of M&A. One is a company that tried to sell once will try to sell again. Another is that a company that tried to sell once will keep trying until it lands the right price at the right time for the least amount of [...]
- EA Doesn't Think That Botched 'Battlefield 4' Launch Damaged The Brand @ Forbes - 15 hours ago
Between long-term server issues, bugs, and broken gameplay, the Battlefield 4 launch was one of the more embarrassing moments of AAA game development in recent years. Here was a game, ostensibly a tent-pole franchise for publisher EA, released obviously unfinished and essentially broken. Developer DICE has been working …
- Today's Google Doodle Will Make History @ Forbes - 15 hours ago
Video Shakuntala Devi holds the world record for mentally multiplying two 13-digit numbers – in 28 seconds. Yet, most people had never heard of her until she was honored in a Google Doodle last November. Despite years of reporting on women in Asia, I had no idea who she was until [...]
- Twitter Buzz: Titanfall Sales Will Trounce Battlefield 4, Challenge Call Of Duty @ Forbes - 15 hours ago
Could the debut release from Respawn Entertainment -- a game development studio formed from the ashes of Infinity Ward -- already have enough mindshare to challenge DICE's Battlefield 4? If Twitter is any indication, Titanfall will topple Electronic Arts' FPS juggernaut and may even start nipping at Call of Duty's heel …
- Navy Has Few Options If Littoral Combat Ship Falters @ Forbes - 15 hours ago
On November 1, 2001 -- only weeks after the 9-11 attacks -- the U.S. Navy proposed a new family of surface combatants. There would be a new destroyer equipped with long-range guns for supporting Marines ashore, a new cruiser designed to greatly improve fleet defense against airborne and ballistic threats, [...]
- BBVA Compass Makes Banking Simple @ Forbes - 15 hours ago
BBVA's acquisition of Simple should expand innovative banking services.
- An Attempt To Understand Watch Dogs' Graphics Downgrade @ Forbes - 16 hours ago
While it's fantastic that Watch Dogs has a new release date at last (May 27th), the story trailer that accompanied the announcement yesterday is drawing a fair bit of criticism from those who think the delay has made the game look worse, rather than better. Forum posters on NeoGAF specifically have [...]
- Five Years Into Bull Market Bears Still Waiting For The Drop That Hasn't Come @ Forbes - 16 hours ago
On Monday, March 9, 2009 the S&P 500 finished trading at its post financial crisis closing low of 676.53. Since then the index hasn't crossed below that point, leading to higher highs and building into a long-term bull market that will turn five on Sunday.
- After Bagging Tesla Shares At $180, Savvy Value Pro Picks Three Other Stocks As Potential Huge Winne … @ Forbes - 16 hours ago
One value investor who bagged shares of Tesla Motors last year at $180 a share picks three other stocks he believes will be Tesla-like huge performers over the long haul.
- Gold Reverses Gains On Better-Than-Expected Jobs Number @ Forbes - 16 hours ago
Good economic news -- a better-than-expected jobs report -- is bad news for gold, which has fallen off its highs from earlier in the week. Still, some investors remain bullish and think a $1,450 price target is not unreasonable.
- Happy Fifth Birthday Bull Market: Where Do We Go From Here? @ Forbes - 17 hours ago
You can't control whether stock prices or interest rates will rise or fall in the future so control your allocations to match your long-term goals and not your short-term expectations.
- Free Getty Images No Threat To Photo Market Says Shutterstock CEO @ Forbes - 17 hours ago
Getty Images is giving away 35 million photos for free. Shutterstock CEO Jon Oringer isn't worried.
- Celebrating Universal's Year Without Blockbusters @ Forbes - 17 hours ago
If you go onto the studio release slate for Universal for the year of 2014, you'll notice that, counting the "platformed in December 2013 for Oscar consideration" Lone Survivor, Universal (a division of Comcast) has seventeen wide release films that have been released or will be released in 2014. Of those [...]
- What Airlines, The Mafia And The Law Of Unintended Consequences Can Teach Us About Net Neutrality @ Forbes - 18 hours ago
Instead of telling Internet providers how to operate their networks, make them pick one way and disclose it to the world.
- India Stocks Post New Highs, Making It Best Of The BRICs @ Forbes - 18 hours ago
Investors pleased with India political outlook, coupled with a love-fest for central banker Rajan have made this the best of the BRICs.
- Can Apple Double Again? @ Forbes - 18 hours ago
Apple’s innovative products have created fervent brand loyalty among their customers. This, combined with the stock more than doubling since the beginning of 2010, from $205 then to $531 today, has inspired equally impressive loyalty among its shareholders. There is no question that Apple is a great company and has been …
- Atlantic Power: Not So Clean @ Forbes - 18 hours ago
When a power company calls its generation portfolio "clean," it's worth delving a little deeper to see what they mean by that. If you have to dig, you're probably not going to like the answer.
- Gambler Who Lost $500,000 In Vegas Sues Casino: 'Too Drunk To Gamble' @ Forbes - 18 hours ago
Gambler Loses $500K, Sues Casino Over Drinks, But Still Can't Deduct His Losses On His Taxes.
- How Has Visa Achieved Double Digit Growth And Is It Sustainable? @ Forbes - 18 hours ago
We expect the total number of Visa card accounts to increase at a high single digit rate through the decade, with the number of transactions per card also growing with economic development in Asia Pacific and Latin American countries.
- American Eagle Outfitters' Earnings Preview: Weak Holiday Sales And Low Brand Loyalty Will Impact The … @ Forbes - 18 hours ago
We believe that apart from an overall slowdown in the U.S. apparel industry, American Eagle’s weak brand image weighed on its results. Although the company is employing several strategies to enhance the fashion content in its product portfolio, we do not expect to see any noticeable impact on the upcoming results.
- UPS To Benefit From Fleet Running On Alternative Fuel @ Forbes - 18 hours ago
The operation is expected to begin by mid-2014 and should be complete by next year. The major reason behind UPS moving towards increasing its propane fueled fleet are cost benefits and emissions reduction.
- EUR Seeks Higher Ground With Jobs Report In View @ Forbes - 18 hours ago
Investors worldwide are eagerly awaiting the release of today’s nonfarm payrolls (NFP) report to see just how adversely inclement winter weather has affected the world’s largest economy. Of late, both the NFP and Canada's employment releases have been inconsistent, soft, and downright disappointing over the past few months. …
- Delta Targets Premium Fliers With Change In Its Mileage Earning Structure @ Forbes - 18 hours ago
We figure this change in Delta’s SkyMiles program will help it better reward its business class fliers, prompting them to remain loyal to it. In turn, a high share of business class travelers in the carrier’s overall passenger traffic will help lift its yield and margins.
- The Dirtiest (And Cleanest) Tech Cafeterias In Silicon Valley @ Forbes - Fri, Mar 7, 2014 1:29 AM EST
Resentment is at the heart of San Francisco's roiling culture war -- resentment, in particular, over the sleek corporate shuttle buses that let their riders drive up real estate prices in the city while spending most of their waking hours in Mountain View or Menlo Park, enjoying discounted massages and [...]
- Great Customer Service Experiences Come From Government (And Utilities) Too @ Forbes - Thu, Mar 6, 2014 8:28 PM EST
Great customer service experiences from federal and state government agencies, public works, and utilities tend to be overlooked by customer experience experts, consultants, speakers.This is a mistake, says Micah Solomon: consulting benchmarks from government agencies where stakes can be high and public utilities (ditto) …
- Ford Rewards Mulally With $13.8 Million In Stock @ Forbes - Thu, Mar 6, 2014 5:54 PM EST
Big payday is for the company's near-record performance in 2013.
- How George Soros Made $4B In 2013: Short The Yen, Bet Against Bill Ackman @ Forbes - Thu, Mar 6, 2014 5:42 PM EST
Geroge Soros was 2013's highest earning hedge fund manager, making an estimated $4 billion as he sided with Carl Icahn against Bill Ackman on Herbalife, shorted the yen, and lost money on JCPenney
- Cerberus Buys Safeway, Merges It With Albertsons For Over $9 Billion @ Forbes - Thu, Mar 6, 2014 5:37 PM EST
The merger will bring together the 2nd and 5th-largest grocers in the US.
- The Approaching Demise Of Organic Reach In Facebook @ Forbes - Thu, Mar 6, 2014 5:23 PM EST
Research published today by Social@Ogilvy shows the downward trend of organic reach on Facebook that a post published on a brand page can expect. From 16% of followers of a brand page being shown a piece of content in 2012, the percentage of organic reach has dropped to roughly 6% in February 2014 for an average page, and …
- Infrastructure Bill Includes 'Tax Amnesty' For Companies With Offshore Cash @ Forbes - Thu, Mar 6, 2014 5:11 PM EST
Is it a bridge too far? A controversial proposal to fix our roads and bridges also includes the right to repatriate assets at zero tax, a move some are calling "tax amnesty."
- Is Sony's 'The Last of Us' Movie A Good Idea? @ Forbes - Thu, Mar 6, 2014 4:40 PM EST
Screen Gems, Sony and Naughty Dog are joining forces to bring one of the most cinematic games in history to the actual cinema. Deadline reports that The Last of Us will be getting a film adaptation, and those behind the game will be instrumental working on the movie. Naughty Dog's Neil [...]
- Commodities Bear Market Could Continue For 15 Years, But That's A Good Thing For Natural Resource St … @ Forbes - Thu, Mar 6, 2014 4:27 PM EST
Commodity-based stocks have lagged the overall market and the lag could continue for the next decade or more -- but according to one analyst, it's a great landscape for stocks like Cabot Oil & Gas, Valero Energy and Phillips 66.
- Contorting The Law Of Disgorgement In Contorinis: Disgorging Ill-Gotten Gains That Were Never Gotten @ Forbes - Thu, Mar 6, 2014 3:47 PM EST
The line between classic disgorgement and punitive penalties now appears to be blurring. Last month, in SEC v. Contorinis, a divided panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit endorsed an expansive theory of disgorgement, affording the SEC broad leeway to demand disgorgement of funds that the defendant never …
- The Future Of The Web Is Audible @ Forbes - Thu, Mar 6, 2014 3:20 PM EST
Like it or not the web has mostly been designed for those who can see it. The very nature of HTML and CSS is focused on how a web page looks, mostly disregarding our other senses. With the increasing popularity of wearable technology combined with advancements in machine learning, a [...]