- Why People Love To Lease Their Cars: 100 Good Reasons Per Month @ Forbes - 1 hour 29 minutes ago
It’s no mystery why leasing is popular again, and why leasing isn’t just for luxury cars any more: it’s because the average monthly payment for many ordinary cars is about $100 per month cheaper. According to Experian Automotive, the average monthly lease payment for a Honda Accord recently was $312, vs.
- Here's Where Brazil & Argentina Are The Same, And It's Nothing To Brag About @ Forbes - 1 hour 59 minutes ago
Brazil jumped 15 spots to take Bolivia out of No. 2 most cumbersome place to do business.
- Surest Super Bowl Bet Ever? @ Forbes - 2 hours 49 minutes ago
If you focus on the odds, you may be forgetting the most immutable rule of wagering, the one who wins on every single bet, legal or not: the IRS.
- What Dings Our Cars: Hail, Not Shopping Carts @ Forbes - 3 hours ago
An analysis of personal auto insurance claims data from 2014 shows some surprises, as well as things that make common sense. In an age of distracted driving it makes common sense, for instance, that rear-end collisions were the biggest source of personal auto insurance claims in 2014, according to The Progressive
- Super Bowl XLIX And The Surface Pro: How Microsoft Is Changing The Game Of Football @ Forbes - 3 hours ago
When Idina Menzel finishes singing the national anthem and the big game kicks off on Sunday, the Seattle Seahawks and the New England Patriots will face off for Super Bowl XLIX. As the teams take the field, though, there will be one thing about this Super Bowl that is unique
- Now, Even Artificial Intelligence Gurus Fret That AI Will Steal Our Jobs @ Forbes - 4 hours ago
Two AI and machine intelligence experts raised serious concerns this week about the potential impact of recent advances on the labor market.
- There Is Now No Chance George RR Martin's Books Will Outrun HBO's 'Game of Thrones' @ Forbes - 4 hours ago
Trying to get the bad news out of the way early on in the year, George RR Martin’s publisher for A Song of Ice and Fire, HarperCollins, has officially confirmed that no, 2015 would not see the release of The Winds of Winter, the long-awaited sixth book in the series. Even
- Amazon's Smartphone Capitalism Problem @ Forbes - 5 hours ago
Last week was a difficult week for Wall Street, but not for Amazon.com' stock, which soared. Investors cheered the company’s strong financial performance in the fourth quarter. But will the party last? It depends on how the company addresses its Smartphone Capitalism problem. Amazon has been both a winner and a loser
- Russia's Central Bank Makes 'Risky Move' As Economy Suffers From Ukraine Crisis @ Forbes - 6 hours ago
Significant economic deterioration is looming in Russia due to lower oil prices, Western sanctions and monetary tightening in Dec.
- First Hand Account: The White House Precision Medicine Announcement @ Forbes - 6 hours ago
As an executive at a relatively young and decidedly ambitious company, it’s hard to describe the excitement and sense of remarkable possibility you experience sitting in the East Room hearing the President of the United States emphasize the fundamental importance of exactly what it is you believe you and your colleagues …
- Friday Box Office: 'American Sniper' Has Super Bowl Record In Its Sights @ Forbes - 7 hours ago
For at least one more Friday, American Sniper is the undisputed champion of the box office. The Clint Eastwood-directed, Bradley Cooper-starring action drama earned $10.017 million on its third Friday of wide release, down a not-terrible 45% from last Friday. That actually gives the film the second-biggest Friday ever for …
- Chimerix Ends Brincidofovir Ebola Trials To Focus On Adenovirus And CMV @ Forbes - 9 hours ago
A side effect of the improving status of the West Africa Ebola outbreak has led Chimerix to discontinue its participation in clinical efficacy trials of their lead antiviral drug, brincidofovir (CMX001; BCV). But it's still full-steam-ahead toward NDA submission of the drug for prevention of CMV infections and treatment …
- NFL Announcement That It Will Hire A Chief Medical Officer A No Brainer @ Forbes - 9 hours ago
During his annual state of the league press conference, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced yesterday afternoon that the NFL would be hiring a chief medical officer (CMO). He used the press conference to highlight the importance of player safety, but did not lay out specifics of what the new role
- Listen To Your Product: Design Lessons From Fiddler On The Roof @ Forbes - 11 hours ago
One of the great pleasures of Alisa Solomon’s book, Wonder of Wonders: A Cultural History of Fiddler on the Roof, is the story of how Broadway and dance legend Jerome Robbins led the writing and composing team to discover the essential message of the show: Tradition! But upon further reflection, and consideration of some …
- Tim Cook Defused Steve Jobs' Thermonuclear War, Then He Took Down Android @ Forbes - 11 hours ago
It would be fair to say that Steve Jobs did not like Samsung's smartphone team. He promised all of Apple's resources would be deployed in a "thermonuclear war" against the South Korean company. Tim Cook's Apple never followed up on Jobs' threat... at least not directly. Cook defused the nukes, instead relying on a long …
- Alibaba Is Facing Class Action Suit Tied To Dispute With China Regulators Over Fakes @ Forbes - 17 hours ago
Alibaba Group, the China e-commerce leader whose U.S. IPO last year was the world's largest, has been hit with a class-action lawsuit in connection with an alleged failure to disclose a dispute with the government over the sale of fake goods in its U.S. listing prospectus last year. In a statement
- In Super Bowl, Toyota Extols 'Bold' Amy Purdy, Dads -- And Camry @ Forbes - 20 hours ago
Video It's a new idea, trying to persuade people who buy a Toyota Camry that it's "a bold choice." But that's Toyota's story with the new 2015 Camry, and the brand is sticking to it. Now Toyota is attempting to take that argument to the highest level in marketing: the Super
- Four CEOs Share Ways To Put Entrepreneurial Spark Into Your Business @ Forbes - 21 hours ago
Here's an idea. Take four chief executives of successful companies and ask them for their secret of how to capture, harness and harvest entrepreneurial flair inside a business. Here's what resulted. Start A Business By Meeting A Strong Personal Need Leah Busque, a software engineer at IBM, discovered she was out of
- The Week Ahead: Will Apple or Energy Stocks Revive the Market? @ Forbes - 22 hours ago
It seems certain that most investors will be glad January is over and are hoping that February will be less volatile. Many are worried that a lower close in January will mean a lower close for the stock market in 2015. The so-called January Barometer, developed by Yale Hirsch, has an 88% chance of determining where the …
- Apple Loop: iOS 8.1.3 Angers Users, Outlook Arrives On iOS, Record-Breaking iPhone Sales @ Forbes - 23 hours ago
This week’s Apple Loop covers the Q1 2015 results from Cupertino, how many people in the world bought an iPhone, iOS 8.1.3 fails to fix any of the big bugs, don't install the latest OS, Outlook's stunning debut on iOS, Tim Cook's monopoly of smartphone components, Apple vs. BlackBerry, the Apple Watch debut, and the best …
- Android Circuit: New Galaxy S6 Leaks, One Billion Android Smartphones, Missing Lollipop 5.0 @ Forbes - 23 hours ago
This week’s Android Circuit highlights a number of stories including the lack of Lollipop 5.0 updates, Samsung's falling profits and how the company is damaging the Galaxy S6 before it is launched, the S6 fights the S Edge, one billion Android devices shipped in 2014, the LG G2 takes on the iPhone 6, reviewing the Sony …
- Five Stocks With Triple-Digit Potential If Boone Pickens Is Right About $80 Oil Forbes - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 5:46 PM EST
Here's a look at five stocks that stand to gain markedly if oil prices rally back toward $80 a barrel.
- Intel Assaults The Wired Workplace With New Chip Technology @ Forbes - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 4:38 PM EST
Two wires down, one to go. Intel came a step closer this week to offering techology that enables a wire-free workplace with the release of its 5th generation Intel Core vPro processors. The new processors allow PCs to wirelessly connect to displays and docking stations. Intel says its Pro Wireless Display
- Shake Shack Faces Sky-High Expectations After Day One Double @ Forbes - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 4:18 PM EST
After an IPO double, Shake Shack CEO Randy Garutti thinks investors will be patient with Shake Shack's growth plan.
- Dell Vs. Apple: And Now For The MacBook Pro Comparisons @ Forbes - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 4:07 PM EST
Dell is going after Apple in promos for its new mobile workstation, following favorable reviews for its XPS product. For laptop reviewers, Dell has become the new yardstick for comparisons with Apple. Dell's newest XPS 13 laptop is getting rave reviews and invariably juxtapositioned with the MacBook Air (which I've done …
- What Is At Stake For Hawaii In NextEra Energy - HECO Merger @ Forbes - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 3:47 PM EST
NextEra Energy, the holding company based in Juno Beach, FL, wants to buy all three of Hawaii’s electric utilities. One aspect of the acquisition that has not attracted much attention is the limited applicability of federal energy regulation to utilities in Hawaii. Except in a few minor instances, utilities in Hawaii are …
- What McDonald's Must Fix After CEO Don Thompson Ouster @ Forbes - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 3:31 PM EST
Is there a more storied rise up one company's corporate ranks in recent years than that of Don Thompson? Raised in a rough Chicago neighborhood, the Purdue engineering graduate started out designing control circuits for french fry cookers at McDonald's in 1990. The robotics whiz, noted for his "rare mix of
- Three Cheap Stocks Poised To Bounce Back @ Forbes - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 3:15 PM EST
These stocks have strong upside potential.
- Daytona International Speedway's $400 Million Makeover Will Boost Profits @ Forbes - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 2:41 PM EST
International Speedway Corp is improving the fan experience at its flagship racetrack.
- Intercept Pharmaceuticals -- Where Are The Mega Millions? @ Forbes - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 2:37 PM EST
Remember a year ago when Intercept Pharmaceuticals’ stock was flirting with $500? That’s when the stock turned into a mega million winning lottery ticket for investors who purchased the shares at around $72 a few days earlier -- or better yet, at $30.38 a couple of months before that. Not to mention
- What Is Community Solar? It's Coming To California @ Forbes - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 1:34 PM EST
Pacific Gas and Electric Co. just received regulatory approval to offer its customers an option to buy enough solar energy to account for 100% of their electricity needs. It's part of a statewide effort to provide clean energy to Californians who aren't able to own or lease their own rooftop
- Domino's Pizza Tests Digital Leadership On Super Bowl Sunday @ Forbes - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 1:30 PM EST
On Sunday, Domino's expects to deliver more than 11 million pizza slices and more than three million chicken wings nationwide for Super Bowl parties, a nearly 80 percent overall increase from a typical Sunday. It'll be one more test for a digital-ordering platform that Domino's has made the most robust
- 'Madden NFL 15' Predicts Super Bowl XLIX Winner @ Forbes - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 1:27 PM EST
EA Sports simulates the big game and hands the Patriots a late game win over the Seattle Seahawks.
- Forget The 1%, You May Be the 10% @ Forbes - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 1:19 PM EST
The anticipation (or dread) of the tax return season is officially underway. Of course, your attitude about tax time may be dependent on how much income you earn and the quality of financial and tax advice you receive. While the focus and media attention tends be on the top 1% of
- New Galaxy S6 Leak Reveals Surprising Size @ Forbes - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 12:38 PM EST
Which poses a fascinating question about screen size...
- Network For Success: It's Different When You're Older @ Forbes - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 12:24 PM EST
5 rules to expand job opportunities and grow your career after 50.
- The Financial Disservices Conspiracy @ Forbes - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 12:07 PM EST
What's the one thing everyone agrees we can't possibly make more of...? Katy Perry hits? Adorable cat videos? Invitations to Google Glass? Not even close. Even cash is abundant - it's handed out in bushels by the Fed to everyone but you. The one thing that's truly finite is time.
- Super Bowl Weekend Is Prime Time For Scary Movies @ Forbes - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 12:00 PM EST
As a general rule, Super Bowl Weekend is not a bountiful frame at the box office in any given year. The reason for that should be pretty obvious, but just in case, what are you doing this Sunday? Chances are you're either watching the football game with or without friends
- Any Warnings from the Monthly Charts? @ Forbes - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 11:44 AM EST
In late morning trading on Thursday, the bears were out in force as I received an urgent email to sign up for a “Crash Alert” by the end of the day. The major averages once again held the key monthly support as they had earlier in the month. Focusing on key price levels, as I discussed two weeks ago The Week Ahead: An Investor's …
- Perfect Storm: Can Big Data Help Alibaba Win The Government Fight? @ Forbes - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 11:35 AM EST
Alibaba is caught in a perfect storm between investors and the Chinese regulators. Can big data help its way out?
- Entrepreneurial Lessons From Shake Shack's Founder @ Forbes - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 11:28 AM EST
Shake Shack is the mastermind of Danny Meyer, who launched the company about 14 years ago. But it still appears to be in the early stages of growth.
- Dumb Move: Chase And Bank Of America Pull Support For Windows Phone Apps @ Forbes - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 11:11 AM EST
When you consider the current installed base of Windows Phone devices and the ongoing issue Microsoft has with the lack of depth in app selection for the Windows Store, it's easy to be dismissive, if product development budgets are on the chopping block. Then again, cutting support for any mobile
- Cracking Dildos And Dollies: Hackers Expose Vulnerabilities In Connected Toys @ Forbes - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 11:05 AM EST
A professional hacker has been probing some connected sex toys and has found some concerning weaknesses. He's also been turning a kids' doll evil too. Both show how hackers might be able to find their way into the most private parts of people's lives.
- Microsoft Increases Roadmap Clarity For Its Cloud Customers @ Forbes - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 11:00 AM EST
One thing I've heard time and again from customers of cloud vendors is that they wish there were some more visibility into the vendor's roadmap. There's nothing that annoys an IT leader more than investing lots of time and money into building a piece of functionality, only to have it
- Katy Perry And The New Super Bowl Sales Bump @ Forbes - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 11:00 AM EST
When Katy Perry takes the field to present her 12 minutes of Super Bowl halftime entertainment on Sunday, the reality of what that exposure brings will have changed greatly from previous years. Forget music sales, social media followers, viral music videos or any of the other recent analytics that an
- Can Jason Statham, In 'Furious 7' And 'Spy,' Thrive As An Added-Value Element? @ Forbes - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 11:00 AM EST
Today sees the limited theatrical/VOD release of Jason Statham's Wild Card from Lions Gate Entertainment. The film is exactly what you'd expect it to be without being overtly remarkable. It's a low-key, low-stakes remake of the 1986 Burt Reynolds vehicle Heat. It hews pretty close to the original, and while it's arguably …
- Why Paternity Leave Is Just For The Rich @ Forbes - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 10:20 AM EST
The U.S. does not measure up well against other countries in terms of paid leave for new parents. America is the only high-income country, and one of only eight countries in the world, that doesn’t mandate paid leave for new mothers. With 0 weeks of paid maternity leave, the U.S.
- Burger Heaven: Investors Gorge On Shake Shack's IPO @ Forbes - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 10:14 AM EST
Danny Meyer is all smiles after Shake Shack spiked 130% in its NYSE debut.
- Abbvie Expects $3B In Hepatitis C Drug Sales And 40% Of Insured Customers @ Forbes - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 10:10 AM EST
Abbvie, the maker of one of the costly hepatitis C pills captivating Wall Street and frustrating those who pick up the tab for its $1,000-per-pill cost, says first-year sales of its treatment will be more than $3 billion in 2015. AbbVie’s Viekira Pak was approved last month and, like rival treatments
- PewDiePie Calls Nintendo's New YouTube Program 'A Slap In The Face' @ Forbes - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 10:06 AM EST
As I explained in detail yesterday, Nintendo has come out with a rather odd new program meant to license their game footage to be used in “Let’s Play” style YouTube videos that are currently all the rage in the industry. Though the change is better than a blanket ban or