- Up all night with bitcoin hackers @ Fortune - 2 hours 10 minutes ago
At a hackathon at New York University, students and bitcoin enthusiasts eschew sleep to develop new, potentially profitable uses for the digital currency.
- Why being bored at work can be good @ Fortune - 10 hours ago
Robin Koval, CEO and President at American Legacy Foundation
- Six new Scotch whiskies you can try this holiday season @ Fortune - 11 hours ago
New liquors are coming to market at a time when Americans are consuming more brown spirits.
- How HIV drugs may be able to treat blindness @ Fortune - 11 hours ago
An old class of HIV/AIDS therapeutics, known as “nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors," has an anti-inflammatory activity that could be harnessed to treat the loss of sight.
- Judge Denise Cote accepts Apple’s $450 million bet that she was wrong on e-books @ Fortune - 14 hours ago
That $450 million gets reduced to $70 million if her ruling is sent back. It goes to $0 if she's reversed.
- 4 new ways movie theaters are filling seats and upselling patrons @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 7:22 PM EST
The next time you go to the movies, you may be coaxed into spending a little extra money -perhaps for a beer, a toy your kid is begging for, or the right to watch a film over and over.
- Colorado approves credit union for pot stores @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 6:32 PM EST
The credit union could open in January even as it waits to be granted insurance by federal regulators.
- Obama touts immigration actions in Las Vegas @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 5:54 PM EST
Raucuous crowd in Las Vegas cheers "Si, se puede"
- Another record-breaking week for U.S. stock markets @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 5:26 PM EST
It was the fifth-straight week of gains for the U.S. market, reversing a big dip earlier in the year.
- Apple $450 million e-book settlement gets final court approval @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 5:03 PM EST
Approval paves the way for consumers to receive most of the money following accusations that Apple had fixed e-book prices with publishers.
- What’s behind Target’s new openness @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 4:26 PM EST
The once-insular company is embracing transparency. A top Target explains why.
- The European Parliament wants Google to be broken up @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 3:45 PM EST
Officials want the tech giant to unbundle its search engine from some of its other commercial business, according to a report.
- Fed says it needs to review its bank review process, yet again @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 3:08 PM EST
Instead of launching another study, regulators should should be flagging behavior that suggests banks are making decisions that might not be in the best interests of the financial system.
- This software entrepreneur wants executives to think like cartographers @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 2:44 PM EST
Jack Dangermond, founder of the 45-year-old mapping software company Esri, thinks every businessperson needs more geospatial awareness.
- The silver unicorn lining of Fab’s dark cloud @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 2:41 PM EST
Fab is looking like an exception to the rule for VCs involved in high-priced deals.
- Why hasn’t Samsung’s Tizen operating system taken off? @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 2:08 PM EST
Is there really room for a third mobile operating system after Apple's iOS and Google's Android? For years, Samsung has thought so—but it has yet to deliver.
- Georgia O’Keeffe breaks price record for female painter @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 1:50 PM EST
"Jimson Weed/White Flower No. 1" quadrupled the previous record
- A TV network should buy Aereo. Here’s why. @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 1:43 PM EST
It would help them compete against Netflix and HBO Go.
- House sues Obama over health care law @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 1:37 PM EST
"The House has an obligation to stand up for the Constitution."
- Tech companies are hiring ‘perks managers’ in a fight to woo talent @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 1:34 PM EST
Companies scrambling to be the best at keeping their employees happy, a report says.
- Hong Kong protest sites slammed by ‘largest cyberattack ever’ @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 1:32 PM EST
The company that protects the independent media outlets said the attacks are unprecedented in scale.
- How online pharmacy spammer organizations really work @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 12:27 PM EST
That and more from cyber security expert Brian Krebs, who takes a hard look at organized cybercrime in his new book, Spam Nation.
- Barbara Bush: How Corporate America can mold global health leaders @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 12:12 PM EST
The Global Health Corps co-founder argues that the nonprofit health care world needs workers with expertise in business, engineering, and communications.
- Why it’s (often) better to be confident than smart @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 12:00 PM EST
Sally Blount, Dean of Kellogg School of Management
- Obama’s Immigration Order Puts Big Business in an Awkward Spot @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 11:47 AM EST
Corporate groups just spent millions electing Republicans, despite siding with Democrats on immigration reform
- 4 (other) reasons why companies bring in recruiters @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 11:21 AM EST
Retained search firms do more than just look for job candidates.
- Singapore to license taxi hailing-apps @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 11:12 AM EST
Island state has been relatively open to new services, but has little tolerance of disorderly competition.
- Wynn Resorts under investigation for potential money laundering @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 11:09 AM EST
Federal agencies and offices are reportedly trying to determine if the casino operator violated money-laundering laws.
- Once left for dead, Nintendo expects best holiday season in years @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 11:02 AM EST
Nintendo was written off by analysts and the media. Now it's set for a video game resurgence.
- Sotheby’s CEO steps down after an extended activist investor battle @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 10:40 AM EST
Ruprecht, a former furniture maker, joined the auction house's rug department in 1980 and rose to the top role in 2000.
- Term Sheet — Friday, November 21 @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 9:55 AM EST
More from Fortune.com Term Sheet -- Thursday, November 20Term Sheet -- Wednesday, November 19Term Sheet -- Tuesday, November 18Term Sheet -- Monday, November 17Term Sheet -- Friday, November 14
- Data Sheet—Friday, November 21, 2014 @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 8:42 AM EST
Good morning, Data Sheet readers. Google is experimenting with a service that lets web site visitors pay a fee to eliminate ads. Intel predicts profits for its mobile chip business in early 2016. Plus, ...
- Obama on immigration and China’s rate cut — 5 things to know today @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 8:14 AM EST
Here’s what you need to know to start your day.
- Pot industry is a buzz-kill for banks @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 8:00 AM EST
Need for security, banking in growing pot industry gives rise to ancillary businesses.
- China cuts interest rates, sending stock, commodity markets higher @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 7:59 AM EST
Beijing moves to support an economy growing at its slowest rate in five years.
- The Broadsheet: November 21st @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 7:51 AM EST
Good morning, Broadsheet readers. Tory Burch may be known for her ballerina flats, but today we hear from Bank of America exec Anne Finucane about what the designer taught the financial giant about small ...
- Aereo, a live-stream TV startup, files for bankruptcy @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 7:41 AM EST
Move comes nearly five months after the Supreme Court ruled against the company in a copyright spat with TV networks.
- Why Get is Apple’s new Free @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 7:32 AM EST
Freemium rules on the iOS and Android app stores.
- How one woman got past the “no’s” and landed VC funding @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 7:30 AM EST
Female entrepreneurs, take note.
- Tory Burch schools Bank of America on small business @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 7:30 AM EST
Bank of America CMO Anne Finucane talks with Fortune about the financial giant's new small loan partnership with the famed entrepreneur turned billionaire.
- Your 2014 taxes: Here’s how to get ahead @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 7:00 AM EST
There’s less than two months left before the year ends, and there are not a lot of changes set to take place.
- Stock options: it’s back to the ’90s. @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 7:00 AM EST
When it comes to reflecting their cost in an income statement, the battle may have been won, but the war is lost.
- Stung by criticism, Fed will review how it supervises large banks @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 6:12 AM EST
New review lasting "several months" will try to address concerns about "regulatory capture".
- The five countries with the highest corporate tax rates @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 6:01 AM EST
These nations are the most aggressive when it comes to squeezing money out of companies. Do any of them out-tax the U.S.?
- Boeing out, Airbus in as Delta confirms $14 billion order @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 5:12 AM EST
Order also provides welcome relief to U.K. engine-maker Rolls-Royce after a torrid year that saw its CFO leave after two profit warnings in quick succession.
- After losing out over Allergan, Valeant announces $2 billion buyback @ Fortune - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 4:11 AM EST
Shareholders to get a little filler as company walks from a deal that got too expensive.
- Takata warns about ability to fix deadly air bag flaw @ Fortune - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 7:45 PM EST
Executive told a Senate hearing that the company may not be able to move quickly to fix the airbag defect problems affecting millions of cars.
- The numbers behind President Obama’s immigration overhaul @ Fortune - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 7:26 PM EST
The president will grant temporary legal status to nearly 5 million illegal immigrants.
- Activision Blizzard makes one-two sales punch with ‘Call of Duty,’ ‘World of Warcraft’ @ Fortune - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 6:49 PM EST
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare and the latest World of Warcraft expansion, Warlords of Draenor, have helped Activision’s bottom line.
- Sotheby’s CEO Bill Ruprecht set to step down @ Fortune - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 6:41 PM EST
Departure comes months after a nasty proxy fight in which investor and current board member Dan Loeb called for a shake-up at the auction house.