- Sandberg on Facebook: ‘We are our own biggest risk’ @ Fortune - 1 hour 44 minutes ago
The social networking company's COO talks targeting, scaling, and Ello during Advertising Week in New York.
- Pebble cuts smartwatch prices while awaiting Apple challenge @ Fortune - 6 hours ago
Lower prices come as smartwatch makers scramble before Apple's watches hit the market early next year.
- Hackers charged with stealing Xbox intellectual property @ Fortune - 6 hours ago
Two people have pleaded guilty to theft of software and technology related to Microsoft's video game console.
- Yahoo earned a $9.4 billion windfall from selling shares in Alibaba’s IPO @ Fortune - 7 hours ago
Yahoo earned a $9.4 billion windfall from selling 140 million shares in the Chinese e-commerce giant.
- California becomes first state to ban plastic bags @ Fortune - 8 hours ago
The ban will go into effect in 2015 for some businesses and 2016 for others.
- First Ebola case found in the United States @ Fortune - 8 hours ago
Doctors have found the first case of the deadly disease domestically after recent outbreak in West Africa.
- Greenhouse gas emissions creep up in the United States @ Fortune - 9 hours ago
Rise in 2013 is attributed to an increased burning of coal in power plants. Methane emissions declined.
- eBay CEO: Why we’re spinning off PayPal @ Fortune - 9 hours ago
EBay CEO John Donahoe explains the rationale behind finally spinning out online payment service PayPal.
- Hellman & Friedman raises $10 billion @ Fortune - 10 hours ago
Private equity giant closes in on its eighth fund.
- The tax hike that almost nobody noticed @ Fortune - 10 hours ago
When the payroll tax holiday ended in 2013, many employees barely noticed, suggesting that raising taxes may not be as politically touchy as some think.
- Hey San Francisco: Let’s get liquid! @ Fortune - 10 hours ago
Join us in three weeks for an evening of cocktails and conversation.
- How to use Google Glass at work @ Fortune - 10 hours ago
Wearing a computer on your face has practical advantages, if you don't mind looking like a cyborg.
- Is the ‘bundle’ the new record store? @ Fortune - 10 hours ago
Radiohead singer Thom Yorke surprised fans with a new album distributed by BitTorrent. Welcome to the world of "paygating."
- Video: Apple invites itself – and its watch – to Paris fashion week @ Fortune - 10 hours ago
A cheap way to take the temperature of a luxury market.
- The next great startup: Why selling to businesses beats selling to consumers @ Fortune - 11 hours ago
Companies like Fieldglass, MarkITx and Eved show entrepreneurs why B2B is rich with opportunity.
- Microsoft unveils its new Windows 10 operating system @ Fortune - 11 hours ago
New software designed to appeal to business customers.
- The single, best way to tell whether stocks are worth it @ Fortune - 12 hours ago
It’s called the Equity Risk Premium, or ERP, and it’s been lauded as the Holy Grail of corporate finance.
- Who needs Alibaba? IPO market chalks up a strong quarter @ Fortune - 12 hours ago
Best third quarter in a decade, even without including the Chinese Internet retailer's huge offering.
- eBay-PayPal spin-off: Why shareholders are loving it @ Fortune - 12 hours ago
Recent research shows that spin-offs are better for shareholders than trade sales—and for reasons that may surprise.
- 3D printing a better rocket @ Fortune - 12 hours ago
NASA and the U.S. Army are now using additive manufacturing to manufacture lighter, cheaper, and better-performing aircraft parts.
- Icahn, pleased with PayPal spinoff, wants M&A next @ Fortune - 13 hours ago
Activist investor wants PayPal to either bulk up through acquisitions, or consider merging with a stronger player.
- Pimco’s ETF lost nearly $550 million in two days @ Fortune - 13 hours ago
Outflows followed news of the departure of longtime manager Bill Gross.
- Is Russia about to impose capital controls? @ Fortune - 13 hours ago
The short answer would seem to be "not yet", but the logic will be hard to resist if the flow of money leaving the country gets any faster.
- What the EC said to Ireland about Apple @ Fortune - 14 hours ago
The document that makes public the European Commission's case against Apple's Irish subsidiaries is almost unreadable.
- J&J buys Alios BioPharma to gain access to infant medicine @ Fortune - 14 hours ago
Treatment for the respiratory syncytial virus, which causes infections of the lungs and respiratory tract.
- Better bankruptcy laws could save your life @ Fortune - 15 hours ago
A new study finds that bankruptcy filers make more money and live longer than those who were denied such protection.
- Why you should embrace late-night work email @ Fortune - 15 hours ago
Why being constantly “on” at work is as liberating as it is confining.
- Iceland is running a gender-equality conference without any women @ Fortune - 15 hours ago
The "Barbershop" conference aims to encourage men to talk about gender equality among themselves.
- A look at the key marijuana legalization votes in 2014 @ Fortune - 15 hours ago
Referendums across the country set the stage for an even bigger fight in 2016.
- Colorado court to decide whether smoking pot is a fireable offense @ Fortune - 15 hours ago
A quadriplegic man who uses medical marijuana says he was dismissed from his job for partaking in a legal activity outside of work hours.
- There will be a Tetris movie and it will be ‘epic’ @ Fortune - 16 hours ago
"What you [will] see in Tetris is the teeny tip of an iceberg that has intergalactic significance."
- Term Sheet — Tuesday, September 30 @ Fortune - 17 hours ago
More from Fortune.com Hey San Francisco: Let's get liquid!Term Sheet -- Monday, September 29Term Sheet -- Friday, September 26Term Sheet -- Thursday, September 25Term Sheet -- Wednesday, September 24
- Data Sheet—Tuesday, September 30, 2014 @ Fortune - 17 hours ago
Good morning, Data Sheet readers. eBay has decided to spin out its PayPal digital payments division, after months of resisting activist investor Carl Icahn. Lenovo promises aggressive competition with ...
- News Corp. buying real estate listings site Move for $950 million @ Fortune - 18 hours ago
Move's websites include realtor.com, move.com and seniorhousingnet.com.
- EBay splits and China gets iPhones — 5 things to know today @ Fortune - 18 hours ago
Here’s what you need to know to start your day.
- Wal-Mart faults Tracy Morgan for not wearing seatbelt in limo crash @ Fortune - 18 hours ago
Injuries suffered by Morgan and fellow passengers "were caused, in whole or in part, by plaintiffs’ failure to properly wear an appropriate available seatbelt restraint device," company says ...
- After a 4-week delay, Apple’s new iPhones are coming to China @ Fortune - 18 hours ago
Some strange things happened in the interim.
- EBay to spin off its PayPal division @ Fortune - 18 hours ago
Activist investor Carl Icahn had pushed for the online marketplace to split.
- The Broadsheet: September 30th @ Fortune - 19 hours ago
Good morning, Broadsheet readers. For the first time in the 16-year history of Fortune’s Most Powerful Women list, we examined the political campaign contributions of top female executives. Also, read ...
- Hong Kong protesters continue blockade, threaten escalation @ Fortune - 19 hours ago
Government head Leung rejects demands for talks, calls for protesters to go home "immediately".
- Are women more likely than men to be whistleblowers? @ Fortune - 19 hours ago
Here are three reasons why women tend to be vigilant watchdogs who call out bad corporate behavior.
- America’s most powerful women lean left @ Fortune - 19 hours ago
Unlike their male counterparts, America's top female executives send the majority of their personal political donations to Democratic candidates.
- Activist investors’ unintentional war on women @ Fortune - 19 hours ago
More companies than ever are listening to activist investors when appointing new board members -- and it's shrinking the already small pool of female candidates.
- Dollar rises to new highs on weak Europe, Asia data @ Fortune - 20 hours ago
Bets on more E.C.B. action push euro to two-year low, while weaker U.K. house prices reduce pressure for higher rates from Bank of England.
- Netflix marks movie production debut with ‘Crouching Tiger’ sequel @ Fortune - 21 hours ago
Deal threatens movie theaters' control of release windows--and could cannibalize audiences.
- 5 lessons to learn from Derek Jeter’s brand management legacy @ Fortune - Mon, Sep 29, 2014 7:44 PM EDT
After Derek Jeter's final game on Sunday, Fortune spoke to sports marketing experts about what to learn from his brand legacy.
- Former AIG CEO’s trial against government starts @ Fortune - Mon, Sep 29, 2014 7:34 PM EDT
Hank Greenberg, the former CEO of AIG, is seeking $25 billion in damages related to the government's bailout of AIG in 2008.
- Supervalu announces another possible data breach, finds malware on point-of-sale systems @ Fortune - Mon, Sep 29, 2014 7:08 PM EDT
The grocery store chain says it discovered malware installed on some of its point-of-sale systems a little over a month after announcing its computer systems were hacked.
- USDA shells out for local, organic @ Fortune - Mon, Sep 29, 2014 5:46 PM EDT
Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack announces $52 million in grants to support local food systems and organic agriculture. Just a sop to critics?
- The government is giving farmers $52 million to market their produce @ Fortune - Mon, Sep 29, 2014 5:23 PM EDT
A total of $30 million a year will go towards promotion for local food and farmer's markets.