- Victory for drag queens in their fight against Facebook @ Fortune - 5 hours ago
Under pressure, the social network changes its "real name" policy to let drag queens and others use stage names on the service.
- Atlantic City casino Revel sold for pennies on the dollar @ Fortune - 5 hours ago
The $2.4 billion dollar casino sold for $110 million, in yet another sign of Atlantic City’s fading fortunes.
- Derek Jeter’s next act: Internet mogul? @ Fortune - 6 hours ago
After retiring from baseball, the former Yankees star wastes no time in founding a sports website.
- PIMCO clients withdraw $23.5 billion after ‘Bond King’s’ exit @ Fortune - 6 hours ago
Clients of the investment firm fled after Bill Gross resigned to join a rival.
- Vivint Solar CEO talks IPO @ Fortune - 7 hours ago
Residential solar energy company joins SolarCity in the public markets.
- A new cola war? Pepsi adds to mid-calorie soda arsenal @ Fortune - 8 hours ago
Pepsi True will initially be available only on Amazon.
- Secret Service director resigns @ Fortune - 8 hours ago
Following a fence-jumper who made it inside and other revelations.
- Sheryl Sandberg’s Ello contradiction @ Fortune - 8 hours ago
Facebook's Sheryl Sandberg isn't worried about the very type of startup she claims to be worried about.
- U.S. campaign against ISIS has cost nearly $1 billion so far, report says @ Fortune - 9 hours ago
The Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments finds the war has cost up to $930 million so far.
- How a U.S. VC firm keeps doing business with Russia @ Fortune - 9 hours ago
Domain Associates has strong ties to a Russian government-backed fund. Can it continue?
- Big sell-off on Wall Street as fears of global crises weigh @ Fortune - 9 hours ago
Major market indexes are down dramatically as the year’s final quarter begins.
- Beijing’s battle plan for Hong Kong @ Fortune - 10 hours ago
Hong Kong will likely tolerate the protest and pray for its self-destruction until the end of the month. But after this grace period is over, things could turn very ugly very quickly.
- GM begins to spell out a turnaround plan @ Fortune - 10 hours ago
New Cadillacs are part of the way forward.
- Your choice of mate can make or break your career @ Fortune - 10 hours ago
The most successful people in one study all went home at night to partners who exhibit a particular personality type: conscientiousness.
- Why the housing recovery hasn’t jumpstarted the economy @ Fortune - 11 hours ago
Home prices have rallied, but the economic plight of young workers is holding up a broader recovery.
- Ello: A viable alternative for the Facebook-weary @ Fortune - 11 hours ago
The buzzy new social network Ello is having a moment. It's no Facebook-killer, but it is a fun alternative—with some savvy required. Whether it's a viable competitor is another story entirely.
- Coca-Cola pours cold water on executive stock plan @ Fortune - 12 hours ago
Company yields to Warren Buffett and activist investor.
- Stocks roiled by news of first American Ebola case @ Fortune - 12 hours ago
Pharmaceutical companies with Ebola vaccines, or treatments, are big gainers.
- Can cloud computing help cure the high-tech gender gap? @ Fortune - 12 hours ago
By 2020, U.S. companies will need more than 1.4 million workers who understand cloud services and mobile technology. That transition signals a shift in traditional hiring practices.
- The cloud, not Windows 10, is key to Microsoft’s growth @ Fortune - 13 hours ago
In the wake of the announcement of Windows 10, we talk to Scott Guthrie, executive vice president of Microsoft's cloud and enterprise group.
- Hong Kong crowds only growing @ Fortune - 13 hours ago
What started in earnest Saturday night with thousands of pro-democracy students has become a worldwide spectacle.
- Ford is letting drivers check out the new F-150 @ Fortune - 13 hours ago
Will pickup truck drivers love the new aluminum body?
- How airline loyalty programs seduce and abandon you @ Fortune - 13 hours ago
Airline mileage programs are designed to be psychologically attractive, even addictive, to customers. But as their benefits have decreased, so too has passenger loyalty.
- Automakers report a mixed bag of September sales @ Fortune - 13 hours ago
Chrysler and General Motors are up; Ford and Toyota are down.
- Mazda’s MX-5 Miata drives ‘like a video game’ @ Fortune - 14 hours ago
25 years after its debut, the roadster is still a blast to drive.
- Why living wage laws are riddled with holes @ Fortune - 14 hours ago
Many living wage laws are chock full of exemptions and exceptions. In the end, very few workers benefit from these policies.
- Musical interlude: Jimmy Fallon, Robert Plant, Apple iPad @ Fortune - 14 hours ago
The three perform "Duke of Earl" on The Tonight Show with a $3.99 app called Loopy HD.
- The ultimate CEO travel secret: Wash your underwear in the sink @ Fortune - 14 hours ago
Road warrior and brand expert Bruce Turkel travels as a competitive sport. The CEO and executive creative director of marketing consulting firm Turkel Brands travels lightest.
- Term Sheet — Wednesday, October 1 @ Fortune - 14 hours ago
More from Fortune.com Hey San Francisco: Let's get liquid!Term Sheet -- Tuesday, September 30Term Sheet -- Monday, September 29Term Sheet -- Friday, September 26Term Sheet -- Thursday, September 25
- ‘Fat finger’ error blamed for $617 billion stock orders scrapped in Japan @ Fortune - 15 hours ago
An accidental stock order ran in the hundreds of billions of dollars.
- Is Apple Pay the reason eBay is spinning off PayPal? @ Fortune - 15 hours ago
eBay's mistake, say insiders, was partnering with Samsung on a fingerprint reader.
- U.S. businesses added 213,000 jobs in September @ Fortune - 15 hours ago
Sixth consecutive month where the private sector added more than 200,000 jobs.
- Data Sheet—Wednesday, October 1, 2014 @ Fortune - 15 hours ago
Good morning, Data Sheet readers. Apparently, Microsoft has a different system of counting than most other companies. What does Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg think of fast-growing competitor Ello (which ...
- Car sales and Hong Kong’s protests — 5 things to know today @ Fortune - 16 hours ago
Here’s what you need to know to start your day.
- Why stories, not software still rule marketing @ Fortune - 16 hours ago
Without an authentic message behind them, social media and digital marketing campaigns will fall flat, warn three Fortune 500 brand storytellers.
- France revolts against German austerity with new budget @ Fortune - 16 hours ago
New figures put deficit sinner Paris on crash course with Berlin, Brussels.
- The Broadsheet: October 1st @ Fortune - 16 hours ago
Good morning, Broadsheet readers. Today, we hear from Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg on little girls, boys and “executive leadership.” Read on to learn about the pro sports league that has a woman problem ...
- Tracy Morgan hits back at Walmart @ Fortune - 16 hours ago
"I can't believe Walmart is blaming me for an accident that they caused"
- NYC’s unconventional first lady on the city’s future @ Fortune - 17 hours ago
New York City mayor Bill de Blasio's most trusted advisor, first lady Chirlane McCray, discusses her role in the administration.
- Court throws out two suits over Fannie, Freddie dividends @ Fortune - 19 hours ago
Landmark victory for taxpayers over shareholders in dispute over who gets to profit from rescuing home loan giants.
- CDC confirms first case of ebola diagnosed in the U.S. @ Fortune - 20 hours ago
Patient started showing symptoms four days after arriving from Liberia.
- Sandberg on Facebook: ‘We are our own biggest risk’ @ Fortune - 23 hours ago
The social networking company's COO talks targeting, scaling, and Ello during Advertising Week in New York.
- Pebble cuts smartwatch prices while awaiting Apple challenge @ Fortune - Tue, Sep 30, 2014 8:16 PM EDT
Lower prices come as smartwatch makers scramble before Apple's watches hit the market early next year.
- Hackers charged with stealing Xbox intellectual property @ Fortune - Tue, Sep 30, 2014 8:10 PM EDT
Two people have pleaded guilty to theft of software and technology related to Microsoft's video game console.
- Yahoo earned a $9.4 billion windfall from selling shares in Alibaba’s IPO @ Fortune - Tue, Sep 30, 2014 7:03 PM EDT
Yahoo earned a $9.4 billion windfall from selling 140 million shares in the Chinese e-commerce giant.
- California becomes first state to ban plastic bags @ Fortune - Tue, Sep 30, 2014 5:46 PM EDT
The ban will go into effect in 2015 for some businesses and 2016 for others.
- First Ebola case found in the United States @ Fortune - Tue, Sep 30, 2014 5:41 PM EDT
Doctors have found the first case of the deadly disease domestically after recent outbreak in West Africa.
- Greenhouse gas emissions creep up in the United States @ Fortune - Tue, Sep 30, 2014 5:21 PM EDT
Rise in 2013 is attributed to an increased burning of coal in power plants. Methane emissions declined.
- eBay CEO: Why we’re spinning off PayPal @ Fortune - Tue, Sep 30, 2014 4:49 PM EDT
EBay CEO John Donahoe explains the rationale behind finally spinning out online payment service PayPal.
- Hellman & Friedman raises $10 billion @ Fortune - Tue, Sep 30, 2014 4:34 PM EDT
Private equity giant closes in on its eighth fund.