- 3 ways to make skyscrapers safer @ Fortune - 22 minutes ago
Glow-in-the-dark signs, not helipads, will help more occupants evacuate a building, an architecture professor argues.
- Data Sheet—Tuesday, October 21, 2014 @ Fortune - 25 minutes ago
Good morning, Data Sheet readers. Apple’s iPad sales are still lagging, but that’s one of the only negatives in its Q4 earnings report. Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella boasts the most “complete” cloud services ...
- The psychology behind our collective Ebola freak-out @ Fortune - 27 minutes ago
The almost-zero probability of acquiring Ebola in the U.S. often doesn’t register at a time of mass fear. It’s human nature.
- CDC updates Ebola guidelines with stricter protocols @ Fortune - 34 minutes ago
Now recommending full-coverage for health care workers and more training.
- Microsoft’s new CEO now one of tech industry’s top earners @ Fortune - 37 minutes ago
Satya Nadella will receive a total compensation package worth $84.3 million this year, according to a document filed with securities regulators.
- The Broadsheet: October 21st @ Fortune - 38 minutes ago
Good morning, Broadsheet readers. Yesterday, Monica Lewinsky gave her first public speech in over a decade, and IBM CEO Ginni Rometty had arguably her worst day in ages. Read on to learn why Microsoft ...
- Who is Dion Weisler? @ Fortune - 55 minutes ago
A closer look at the seasoned PC executive tapped to lead the new HP Inc.
- Advice to tech companies on diversity: Own the story @ Fortune - 1 hour 7 minutes ago
By responding to negative media attention as opposed to proactively tackling the problem, companies like Microsoft appear to be falling behind.
- Can subway ads bring mainstream users to Foursquare? @ Fortune - 1 hour 41 minutes ago
Reviving a once-hot app is tricky. Foursquare, the darling of mobile check-ins, is hoping to lure new users in the old-fashioned way: with ads.
- Apple’s blow-out fourth quarter: The amateurs called it. The pros blew it. @ Fortune - 1 hour 44 minutes ago
The best and worst Apple analysts, Q4 2014 edition.
- Staples probes possible payment card data security breach @ Fortune - 2 hours 13 minutes ago
Corporate America's new hot trend continues.
- China’s GDP growth slows to 5-year low, but that’s OK @ Fortune - 2 hours 30 minutes ago
Slower growth is the result of China paying more attention to the quality of its economic development.
- Christophe de Margerie, face of French business, dies in plane crash @ Fortune - 2 hours 52 minutes ago
Tributes flood in for the blue-blood with the unmistakeable white whiskers, who devoted his life to building one of the world's greatest oil companies.
- Warren Buffett’s bad housing advice @ Fortune - 3 hours ago
When it comes to buying real estate, the Oracle of Omaha's crystal ball is a little fuzzy.
- Morgan Stanley’s earnings illusion @ Fortune - 3 hours ago
The investment bank posted the fastest-growing trading revenue of its peers. A look at historical earnings, however, shows that the real story may be simply that the overall big bank trading business is ...
- Sending packages via UPS will soon cost more @ Fortune - 12 hours ago
The 4.9% rate hike will affect most shipments in U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico.
- Chipotle co-CEO rips into fast-food rivals, slams their “short-sighted” strategies @ Fortune - 12 hours ago
Chipotle reported a 19.8% jump in comparable restaurant sales, prompting its CEO to go off on the failings of its fast-food rivals.
- Microsoft CEO pushes the cloud for businesses @ Fortune - 13 hours ago
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella gives a sales pitch for cloud services as his company to tries to emphasize its strength with business customers.
- Apple’s growth stays strong in latest quarter @ Fortune - 15 hours ago
Tech giant reports beat analyst expectations with strong sales of iPhones and Mac computers. Sales of iPads fell, however.
- As Sears shrinks, it takes on a new role: Landlord @ Fortune - 15 hours ago
Sears is leasing space to a UK fast-fashion retailer to shore up its finances.
- Apple’s ‘absolutely blow-out quarter’ by the numbers @ Fortune - 15 hours ago
Record fourth-quarter profits of $8.5 billion on sales of $42 billion.
- Dispelling myths about women and charitable giving @ Fortune - 15 hours ago
It's pretty simple: On average, women are more philanthropic than men.
- Ginni Rometty’s terrible, horrible (no good, very bad) day @ Fortune - 16 hours ago
On the heels of dismal fiscal results, IBM's shares tanked—putting CEO Ginni Rometty under harsh investor scrutiny.
- Death toll linked to GM ignition switch defect rises to 29 @ Fortune - 17 hours ago
Two new death claims approved by compensation program.
- Uber’s nonprofit ride-sharing pilot program in China shifts into high gear @ Fortune - 17 hours ago
Uber’s launch -- and now expansion -- of a nonprofit product in China is a head-turner. Here's why.
- Facebook sues big law firm over fake ‘owner’ claims @ Fortune - 17 hours ago
Mark Zuckerberg wants to make the lawyers pay.
- How Nick Woodman modeled GoPro after Red Bull @ Fortune - 18 hours ago
The founder-CEO of the popular digital camcorder talks to Fortune about the company’s early days, building its culture, and its future.
- Why the backlash against egg freezing perks is ridiculous @ Fortune - 18 hours ago
Facebook and Apple are giving women another tool in the complex, often fraught decision of when to have children, with whom, and whether to do it alone or not.
- How profitable is insider trading, anyway? @ Fortune - 18 hours ago
Insanely profitable. A new study shows just how much we are talking about here.
- Private equity secrecy, revisited @ Fortune - 19 hours ago
Private equity continues to slip on its own needless secrecy.
- To franchisees, McDonald’s arches aren’t looking so gold @ Fortune - 19 hours ago
McDonald's franchisees reported that their same-store sales fell by 3.6 percent in September, according to a recent survey.
- Is it ‘do svidanya’ for Russia and the West? One businessman thinks so @ Fortune - 20 hours ago
A hardening political confrontation threatens to undo two decades of mutual benefits, banker and publisher Alexander Lebedev fears.
- China’s growth rate is expected to slow sharply by the end of the decade @ Fortune - 20 hours ago
A new report anticipates China's economic growth will slide much faster than expected, hitting 4% by 2020.
- Microsoft CEO says he was ‘completely wrong’ to suggest women shouldn’t ask for raises @ Fortune - 21 hours ago
Satya Nadella had previously apologized for his remarks.
- Crazy, insane start-ups are this tech investor’s meat and potatoes @ Fortune - 21 hours ago
Braintree founder Bryan Johnson has created a fund for start-ups focused on a sci-fi future.
- Why Apple Pay may be the company’s most challenging move @ Fortune - 21 hours ago
For Apple Pay to work, Apple needs to get customers, retailers and banks all in lockstep.
- Hong Kong’s chief executive accuses ‘external forces’ of aiding protests @ Fortune - 21 hours ago
The remarks, made to a local television channel in an interview on Sunday, have been rubbished by the pro-democracy protesters.
- Russia warns of ‘prolonged’ period of cold relations with U.S. @ Fortune - 21 hours ago
Frustration at Western hectoring boils over after Milan meeting brings no progress; Ruble near all-time lows again after Moody's cuts sovereign debt rating.
- Term Sheet — Monday, October 20 @ Fortune - 22 hours ago
More from Fortune.com Term Sheet -- Friday, October 17Term Sheet -- Thursday, October 16Term Sheet -- Wednesday, October 15Term Sheet -- Tuesday, October 14Term Sheet -- Monday, October 13
- Transformers, Nerf lift Hasbro’s sales @ Fortune - 23 hours ago
Most of the toymaker's business divisions reported growth.
- Nigeria is Ebola-free: Here’s what they did right @ Fortune - 23 hours ago
It's been 42 days since the last new case.
- Data Sheet—Monday, October 20, 2014 @ Fortune - 23 hours ago
Get ready for an unsettling start to the workweek, Data Sheet readers. SAP just cut its full-year earnings outlook, and IBM disclosed lower revenue and income for its third quarter. Still, it did manage ...
- IBM dumps its chips division, reports weak earnings @ Fortune - 23 hours ago
CEO Virginia ‘Ginni’ Rometty’s has issued a dismal report on multiple fronts.
- Marc Andreessen exits eBay’s board ahead of its PayPal spinoff @ Fortune - Mon, Oct 20, 2014 8:21 AM EDT
After six years serving on Ebay's board of directors, Silicon Valley luminary is stepping down.
- Spreadsheet of the day: Final estimates for Apple’s fiscal Q4 @ Fortune - Mon, Oct 20, 2014 8:16 AM EDT
Every Apple analyst Fortune polled is calling for a record fourth quarter. Average forecast: Earnings of $1.32 per share (up 12% year over year) on revenues of $40 billion (up 7%).
- Investors in the running for Adidas’s Reebok unit @ Fortune - Mon, Oct 20, 2014 8:02 AM EDT
Division could fetch about $2.2 billion, according to a report.
- Everything you wanted to know about LEDs but were afraid to ask @ Fortune - Mon, Oct 20, 2014 8:00 AM EDT
The innovative technology that garnered a Nobel, is changing the way we live, and just might do away with incandescent light bulbs.
- IBM disappoints and Apple reports — 5 things to know today @ Fortune - Mon, Oct 20, 2014 7:51 AM EDT
Here’s what you need to know to start your day.
- The Broadsheet: October 20th @ Fortune - Mon, Oct 20, 2014 7:43 AM EDT
Good morning, Broadsheet readers. Change.org today announced the “most generous” parental leave policy among U.S. tech companies and, over the weekend, Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg spoke out ...
- Change.org boosts paid parental leave perks for all new parents @ Fortune - Mon, Oct 20, 2014 7:40 AM EDT
Exclusive: The petition website will offer the same employee benefits to moms and dads as well as birth and non-birth parents.