- The fund that was too good to be true @ Fortune - 1 hour 11 minutes ago
Money manager F-Squared used a hot ETF strategy to collect billions. But the numbers didn’t add up.
- Management lessons from Sony’s gender pay gap @ Fortune - 1 hour 53 minutes ago
A male producer at Sony makes about $800,000 more than his female equivalent. What are the takeaways for managers?
- Is Henry Blodget, gasp, right about Apple and the BBC? @ Fortune - 12 hours ago
'Oh, lookie," exclaims the MacDailyNews. "The Beeb has stirred up the moron’s nest."
- Why the next world war will be fought over food @ Fortune - 13 hours ago
The world has a massive food crisis -- so big that the World Bank and the United Nations say there won’t be enough food to feed the global population by 2050. But feeding the world is big business.
- Family Dollar vote and market closings–5 things to know for the week ahead @ Fortune - 14 hours ago
Here's what you need to know for the week ahead in business.
- Why cyber warfare is so attractive to small nations @ Fortune - 19 hours ago
Enabled by Internet connectivity, cyber war provides more bang for the buck than investment in conventional weapons.
- Turning girls of color into robot-obsessed techies @ Fortune - 22 hours ago
Black Girls Code tackles Silicon Valley’s diversity problem with rovers, Play-doh and circuits.
- Sony’s conundrum: Whether to release ‘The Interview’ online @ Fortune - Sun, Dec 21, 2014 6:00 AM EST
After deciding against premiering the film to theaters, the movie studio could make it available online. Here are a few possibilities (and a few counterarguments).
- I work at Sony Pictures. This is what it was like after we got hacked. @ Fortune - Sat, Dec 20, 2014 4:01 PM EST
An employee of Sony Pictures Entertainment outlines what they went through following North Korea's alleged cyber attack on the company.
- Jesse Jackson talks diversity in Silicon Valley @ Fortune - Sat, Dec 20, 2014 8:00 AM EST
Why Silicon Valley needs to open its doors to make its workforce more diverse.
- Former Chrysler expands Takata airbag recall @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 7:19 PM EST
Automaker said it would replace the inflators in a far greater number of cars than before.
- Staples: Breach may have affected 1.16 million customers’ cards @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 4:54 PM EST
The office-supply retailer gave new details about a breach at more than 100 of its stores.
- McDonald’s hit with labor violation complaints @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 2:40 PM EST
The NLRB has filed complaints against the fast-food giant, including allegations that the company engaged in illegal firing and intimidation of staff who protested working conditions.
- Rent the Runway raises $60 million @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 2:37 PM EST
A rush of new investment for the company, which rents apparel and accessories.
- As ‘Serial’ ends, the future of podcasting brightens @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 2:32 PM EST
The National Public Radio offshoot was a smash hit, but it's really phones, cars, and streaming services that will help the medium soar.
- Wage Watch: Workers in 20 states to get a New Year’s raise @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 2:10 PM EST
Increases to state minimum wages across the country will raise pay for 4.4 million workers. That and other news from the world of worker pay.
- Obama weighs in on Sony hack, calls decision to shelve movie ‘a mistake’ @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 1:49 PM EST
‘They caused a lot of damage. And we will respond,’ Obama tells reporters.
- How Neiman Marcus is harnessing its e-commerce firepower @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 1:09 PM EST
Neiman Marcus merged its store and e-commerce teams last year, and CEO Karen Katz tells Fortune it is improving customer service and inventory management.
- T-Mobile to pay $90 million to refund unwanted mobile charges @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 12:53 PM EST
The mobile phone company had originally called the complained "unfounded and without merit."
- Fortune Live: 2014 Year in Review @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 12:39 PM EST
Fortune's first ever live show will begin today at 3pm Eastern.
- All the Eurozone wants for Christmas is a new Greek President @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 12:25 PM EST
But Greece's famously fractious politicians might yet ruin the holidays for Merkel, Draghi & Co.
- Is there a cyber security equivalent of ‘SEAL Team Six’? @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 12:22 PM EST
When a cyber breach goes down...who you gonna call? Many different U.S. government agencies, it turns out.
- Holiday returns scammers to cost retailers billions @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 12:10 PM EST
An industry group's survey estimates scammers making returns will cost retailers $3.8 billion this holiday season.
- Inside the turnaround of Machinima @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 12:00 PM EST
Digital video networks are hot. So why is this YouTube darling the last one standing?
- Google sues to block state AG Jim Hood’s probe @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 11:42 AM EST
Search giant claims the Mississippi attorney general is overstepping his authority and carrying water for Hollywood
- Chrysler the company: The final nail @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 11:30 AM EST
New 300 sedan is still a Chrysler while all corporate titles will be FCA.
- Attention Tesla drivers: now you can swap your battery in California @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 11:21 AM EST
The new program is launching in beta in Tesla's home state.
- Picture this: Instagram could be worth $35 billion @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 11:00 AM EST
Photo-sharing service owned by Facebook could be worth that whopping amount, according to a new estimate by a Wall Street analyst.
- China’s economy is worth $300 billion more than it thought @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 10:38 AM EST
Revision to methodology shows more success on boosting services, and adds to pressure on Beijing to keep up reforms.
- Xerox selling its IT outsourcing unit to France’s Atos @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 10:13 AM EST
The move is part of a larger transformation led by CEO Ursula Burns.
- 5 smart devices for smart gift giving @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 10:00 AM EST
What to get the smart tech lover in your life
- Term Sheet — Friday, December 19 @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 9:38 AM EST
More from Fortune.com Term Sheet -- Thursday, December 18Term Sheet -- Wednesday, December 17Term Sheet -- Tuesday, December 16Term Sheet -- Monday, December 15Term Sheet -- Friday, December 12
- Can 3-D simulation obsolete the need for retail field trials? @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 9:35 AM EST
Software from InContext Solutions creates mock-ups of new products or packaging, allowing consumer goods companies and retailers to test ideas in cyber space.
- Sleeping on the job: Inside a factory making iPhones for Apple @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 9:14 AM EST
The human cost of high-tech manufacturing is portrayed by the BBC as sleep deprivation.
- Data Sheet—Friday, December 19, 2014 @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 9:02 AM EST
Good morning, Data Sheet readers. Willing to pay for a special chip fine-tuned for your data center applications? Intel is willing to listen. Plus, eBay’s current CEO will get $23 million when he leaves. ...
- 10 amazing airport restaurants @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 9:00 AM EST
A look at the best U.S. airport chow so you eat well while you travel.
- Uber drives out of Portland (for now) @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 8:24 AM EST
Uber struck a deal with Portland officials to suspend its local operations while the city redefines its transportation regulations.
- Bumble Bee sold and BlackBerry’s tough quarter — 5 things to know today @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 8:23 AM EST
Here’s what you need to know to start your day.
- Samsung woos disgruntled investors with big, fat dividend hike @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 7:46 AM EST
South Korean giant may raise payout by over 50% to soften the blow from falling smartphone profitability.
- Bumble Bee nets $1.51 billion for private-equity owner @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 7:46 AM EST
Thai Union Frozen Products purchasing the North America seafoods company, which generates about $1 billion in annual sales by selling seafood products.
- The Broadsheet: December 19th @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 7:32 AM EST
Good morning, Broadsheet readers. Hopefully like many of you, I am going on vacation for the next two weeks. Anne VanderMey, a reporter here at Fortune, will be writing the newsletter early next week, ...
- BlackBerry reports a small adjusted profit, positive cash flow @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 7:28 AM EST
Company also completes its acquisition of Secusmart, a privately held firm that specializes in voice and data encryption.
- Nissan CEO says suspending some Russia car orders in “bloodbath” for automakers @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 7:01 AM EST
Japan’s Nissan Motor Co and French partner Renault SA have stopped taking orders for some cars in Russia and could raise prices on others if the ruble’s plunge continues, alliance Chief Executive Carlos ...
- Fortune’s 20 favorite books of 2014 @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 7:00 AM EST
The best books we read this year in business and beyond, selected by Fortune's writers and editors.
- Roche shares tumble after Alzheimer’s drug failure @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 6:33 AM EST
Double-blow for Swiss company as it also announces mixed results for breast cancer drug tests.
- DuPont CEO on what’s driving the company into the future @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 6:30 AM EST
Ellen Kullman, CEO and chairman of DuPont, talked about how innovation is giving the 212-year-old company a new edge.
- It’s not just “The Interview”: 10 other banned, withdrawn and censored movies @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 6:00 AM EST
What other films can you not legally see?
- Maternity coaches: The little-known perk keeping execs in the workforce @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 5:44 AM EST
As the female labor participation rate continues to fall in the U.S., companies are competing to retain top talent by offering counseling and other perks.
- Peace in the Mayo Wars: Unilever drops suit against startup Hampton Creek @ Fortune - Thu, Dec 18, 2014 10:20 PM EST
The maker of Hellmann’s mayonnaise had filed a suit against a startup that was taking market share from the giant.
- American Apparel approached for possible buyout @ Fortune - Thu, Dec 18, 2014 8:55 PM EST
Overture follows the firing of the clothing retailer's CEO following accusations of sexual harassment and misusing corporate funds.