- Why Chasing CUBA Fund Is A Terrible Idea ETF.com - Wed, Dec 17, 2014 9:58 AM EST
Investors are piling into a closed-end fund with a convenient ticker on the way to ruin.The headline is exciting—the U.S.
- Legends Of Indexing: Kelly Haughton ETF.com - Wed, Dec 17, 2014 12:00 AM EST
The creator of the Russell Indexes talks about a changing industry.This is the fourth in a series of interviews with some of the most influential people in the field of indexing and index-based inv...
- Russia ETFs Plummet; Some See Value ETF.com - Tue, Dec 16, 2014 8:41 AM EST
Collapsing oil prices and ruble rout shake markets.The Russian ruble is in an unprecedented free fall, dropping nearly 19 percent since Monday.
- Hedged Japan ETFs Set For Big Cap Gains ETF.com - Tue, Dec 16, 2014 12:00 AM EST
Why currency-hedged Japan ETFs are about to get big cap gains distributions.Investors in some of the largest currency-hedged Japan ETFs might be shocked when they wake up this Friday morning to see...
- Legends Of Indexing: Burton Malkiel ETF.com - Mon, Dec 15, 2014 12:00 AM EST
'Random Walk' author talks about what has changed in the 40 years since its publication.This is the third in a series of interviews with some of the most influential people in the field of indexing...
- 4 Drivers Behind Falling Treasury Yields ETF.com - Fri, Dec 12, 2014 11:06 AM EST
Here's why the Treasury market continues to confound conventional wisdom.The U.S.
- Greek Equity ETF Sinks On Uncertainty ETF.com - Thu, Dec 11, 2014 11:46 AM EST
Greece is again at the forefront of worries about Europe, and stocks there are cratering.Greek equities have tumbled in the past few days, with funds such as the Global X FTSE Greece 20 ETF (GREK |...
- 2 New Global Warming ETFs Play It Cool ETF.com - Thu, Dec 11, 2014 10:07 AM EST
Two new carbon-targeting funds don’t tilt away from the market in a big way.Two recently launched ETFs aim to help the global environment by allocating capital to firms with reduced emissions.
- Most Interesting New ETFs Of 2014 ETF.com - Thu, Dec 11, 2014 12:00 AM EST
While the fat lady hasn’t sung yet, these three ETFs strike me as the coolest launches of the year.2014 has been a big year for ETF launches.
- Using Options To Ride A Rebound In XLE ETF.com - Thu, Dec 11, 2014 12:00 AM EST
If oil prices bounce and take the oil ETF ‘XLE’ with them, playing that jump might make more sense with options.This is a weekly column focusing on ETF options by Scott Nations, a proprietary t...
- Don’t Bail On China Equity ETFs Just Yet ETF.com - Wed, Dec 10, 2014 12:00 AM EST
Sure China’s in transition and is plenty risky.
- Junk Bond ETFs Hit By Cheap Oil ETF.com - Tue, Dec 9, 2014 8:11 AM EST
Not everyone’s a winner when oil prices collapse.If you’ve been reading headlines lately, you’ve probably caught a note of panic among followers of high-yield bonds, capped by this lovely hea...
- A Leveraged ETF Investor’s Checklist ETF.com - Tue, Dec 9, 2014 12:00 AM EST
If you’re trying to capitalize on huge price swings in commodities or anything else, how you get from A to B matters.Looking to make geared bets on volatile price swings in assets like oil or ene...
- ETFs Made Easy: Capital Gains Tax ETF.com - Mon, Dec 8, 2014 6:04 AM EST
While most ETFs are taxed like stocks and bonds, there are exceptions.In this series, we answer the questions investors are afraid to ask.
- Legends Of Indexing: John Bogle ETF.com - Mon, Dec 8, 2014 12:00 AM EST
Vanguard's founder considers the current investment environments.This is the first in a series of interviews with some of the most influential people in the field of indexing and index-based inve...
- High Frequency Traders Target Gold Miner ETF ETF.com - Fri, Dec 5, 2014 12:00 AM EST
GDX continues to exhibit curious trading behavior.I wrote an article about the Market Vectors Gold Miners ETF in October, highlighting some odd trading on a very good day for the fund.
- SPY Chief Looks Beyond $200B In Assets ETF.com - Fri, Dec 5, 2014 12:00 AM EST
State Street's original ETF is now among the biggest funds in the world, but Jim Ross says investors can expect more from the firm.The SPDR S'P 500 ETF has long been the biggest ET...
- Stupid Options Trade Or Smart VIX Trade? ETF.com - Thu, Dec 4, 2014 12:00 AM EST
A close look at how an ETN like ‘VXX’ works can quickly become a tour of the VIX sausage factory.This is a weekly column focusing on ETF options by Scott Nations, a proprietary trader and finan...
- SPY With $200B Rivals Biggest Mutual Funds ETF.com - Wed, Dec 3, 2014 11:55 AM EST
The largest ETF in the world is now also trumping some of the biggest mutual funds in size.The SPDR S'P 500 ETF has long been the biggest ETF in the world, but now that it has exce...
- Choosing The Best India ETF Is Complex ETF.com - Wed, Dec 3, 2014 12:00 AM EST
There are good reasons to choose one Indian ETF over another, but you have to understand those reasons.India’s been the hottest of the “BRIC” markets in 2014 by a long shot.
- Kotok: Sell XLE, Buy DXJ On Lower Oil ETF.com - Tue, Dec 2, 2014 12:00 AM EST
The slump in oil prices calls for some asset reallocation.Oil prices are in a precipitous downfall that has pulled WTI crude down to five-year lows this year.
- iShares Frontier ETF’s Monster Cap Gains ETF.com - Tue, Dec 2, 2014 12:00 AM EST
Sometimes index funds can be vulnerable to big capital gains payouts, too.iShares recently released its estimated capital-gains distributions for 2014.
- ETFs Made Easy: Expense Ratios ETF.com - Mon, Dec 1, 2014 7:57 AM EST
You can and should control what you pay for a fund, but knowing the exact price can be tricky.In this series, we answer the questions investors are afraid to ask.
- Time To Rethink Currency Hedged ETF Use ETF.com - Wed, Nov 26, 2014 12:00 AM EST
- New Emerging Internet ETF Fills Big EEM Void ETF.com - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 12:00 AM EST
A new ETF canvassing online life in the emerging markets really is a distinct idea.A new emerging market ETF with a focus on Internet use in the developing world is more than a catchy idea targetin...
- Lock In Gains On A Chip ETF With Puts ETF.com - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 12:00 AM EST
One investor finds a creative way to protect gains on a high-flying semiconductor ETF.This is a weekly column focusing on ETF options by Scott Nations, a proprietary trader and financial engineer w...
- The 4 Different Costs Of ETF Ownership ETF.com - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 12:00 AM EST
ETFs are cheap, but not always in the way you think.ETFs have probably done more to improve investor outcomes than any innovation in financial services since the mutual fund.
- GLD, The Revolutionary Gold ETF, Turns 10 ETF.com - Tue, Nov 18, 2014 10:00 AM EST
GLD’s glorious past decade may not be a prologue for its future.The SPDR Gold Trust is turning 10 years old today, and it remains as important now as it was the day it first came to...
- Winklevoss Bros: Beware Bitcoin ETF Risks ETF.com - Tue, Nov 18, 2014 12:00 AM EST
Investors need to go into a bitcoin ETF with ‘eyes wide open,’ the Winklevoss brothers say.There are many questions surrounding the Winklevoss Bitcoin Trust ETF such as its viability as ...
- WisdomTree’s New Long Dollar ETF Shines ETF.com - Tue, Nov 18, 2014 12:00 AM EST
The firm's long-dollar ETF ‘USDU’ is getting the attention it deserves.Long-dollar ETFs are all the rage in the currency space this year.
- 3 Things To Know About Cyber ETF ‘HACK’ ETF.com - Mon, Nov 17, 2014 12:00 AM EST
Is an ETF with a ticker like 'HACK' as good as it sounds?One of the newest ETFs to come to market offers investors first-of-a-kind exposure that’s focused exclusively on tech companies involved w...
- Why Did Your ETF Reverse Split? ETF.com - Fri, Nov 14, 2014 7:28 AM EST
Stock investors are used to splits, but why all the reverse splits in ETFs?It’s surprisingly common.
- A Cheaper Way To Use Pricey VXX Options ETF.com - Thu, Nov 13, 2014 12:00 AM EST
If you’re going to use VXX options, some ways are cheaper than others.This is a weekly column focusing on ETF options by Scott Nations, a proprietary trader and financial engineer with about 20 y...
- Finding The Right Int'l Bond ETF ETF.com - Wed, Nov 12, 2014 7:21 AM EST
Is there a sweet spot for fixed-income diversification?Yesterday I highlighted three funds I thought might help out most investor portfolios.
- China ‘Stock Connect’ To Impact Many ETFs ETF.com - Wed, Nov 12, 2014 5:48 AM EST
A new program linking exchanges in Hong Kong and mainland China will have far-reaching consequences.It’s official, the historic Shanghai-Hong Kong “Stock Connect” program will commence on Mon...
- These ETFs Will Fix Your Portfolio ETF.com - Tue, Nov 11, 2014 7:58 AM EST
Chances are, your finances need a tuneup.Every time we get insights into how actual investors are allocating their money, it’s somewhat depressing.Just a few weeks ago, we had the shocking news t...
- Uranium ETF Comes Back From The Dead ETF.com - Tue, Nov 11, 2014 7:10 AM EST
The restart of shuttered Japanese nukes breathes life into a moribund global uranium market.A left-for-dead global uranium market is showing major signs of life in the wake of Japan’s decision la...
- Advisor Views On MLP Funds & Notes ETF.com - Tue, Nov 11, 2014 12:00 AM EST
Straddling fixed income and energy growth is attractive.
- Stay On Sidelines With BRIC Funds ETF.com - Mon, Nov 10, 2014 6:30 AM EST
With the Russian ruble down almost 30 percent this year and India stocks at all-time highs, the divergence in the group is unsettling.It's easy to dismiss the "Brazil, Russia, India, China" market ...
- New Frontier Market ETFs On Horizon ETF.com - Mon, Nov 10, 2014 12:00 AM EST
Another frontier market ETF is likely coming up, and not a moment too soon.FTSE’s launch of its new frontier markets index series in September likely spells future competition for the popular iSh...
- 3 Viewpoints On A Newly Minted 5-Star ETF ETF.com - Fri, Nov 7, 2014 12:00 AM EST
An actively managed ETF, ‘TTFS,’ marks its three-year anniversary with mixed results.An ETF hit its three-year anniversary recently, an important milestone for any fund.
- Eaton Vance ETMF A Step Forward, But ... ETF.com - Thu, Nov 6, 2014 8:44 PM EST
Sometimes I’m wrong.
- Alibaba Spikes, But ETFs Are Lagging ETF.com - Thu, Nov 6, 2014 8:44 AM EST
While Alibaba’s shares are on a tear, the waves China’s Internet giant are making in ETFs is another story.Alibaba stock has been on a tear, rising roughly 18 percent from its closing pr...
- 3 ETF Tax Tips While There’s Still Time ETF.com - Thu, Nov 6, 2014 6:27 AM EST
You’ve got eight weeks left to get smart with your mutual funds and ETFs.It’s that time of year.
- A Breakout Year For Deutsche X-Trackers ETF.com - Thu, Nov 6, 2014 12:00 AM EST
In case you overlooked it, Deutsche Bank’s ‘X-trackers’ brand of ETFs is getting serious traction.Olly Ludwig recently wrote about First Trust enjoying a banner year.
- 10 Best Performing ETFs Year To Date ETF.com - Wed, Nov 5, 2014 12:00 AM EST
So far in 2014, India, coffee, biotech and long-dated Treasurys have been good to investors.There are a myriad themes coursing through our tally of the 10 best-performing ETFs year-to-date.
- Getting Your Developed Market ETFs Right ETF.com - Tue, Nov 4, 2014 6:10 AM EST
Year-to-date ETF flows show a lot of interest, but perhaps in the wrong funds.With only two months left to go in the year, I’m always curious where folks are placing their bets.
- 'Little' First Trust Enjoying Banner Year ETF.com - Mon, Nov 3, 2014 12:00 AM EST
Huge inflows into a single ETF tell the tale of a firm that’s on a roll.Last week an ETF from First Trust pulled in a huge amount of new money—going from basically no assets to more than $500 m...
- Supercharged QE Boosting Japan ETFs ETF.com - Fri, Oct 31, 2014 8:41 AM EDT
Japan’s central bank decision to increase asset purchases puts Japan ETFs back in the limelight.Japan is expanding its quantitative easing program for the first time in about 18 months, offering ...
- ETF Scary Monsters & Super Freaks ETF.com - Fri, Oct 31, 2014 6:36 AM EDT
No need for the horror movies, these ETFs will keep you up all night.I love Halloween.