- Lock In Gains On A Chip ETF With Puts ETF.com - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 12:00 AM EST
One investor finds a creative way to protect gains on a high-flying semiconductor ETF.This is a weekly column focusing on ETF options by Scott Nations, a proprietary trader and financial engineer w...
- The 4 Different Costs Of ETF Ownership ETF.com - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 12:00 AM EST
ETFs are cheap, but not always in the way you think.ETFs have probably done more to improve investor outcomes than any innovation in financial services since the mutual fund.
- GLD, The Revolutionary Gold ETF, Turns 10 ETF.com - Tue, Nov 18, 2014 10:00 AM EST
GLD’s glorious past decade may not be a prologue for its future.The SPDR Gold Trust is turning 10 years old today, and it remains as important now as it was the day it first came to...
- Winklevoss Bros: Beware Bitcoin ETF Risks ETF.com - Tue, Nov 18, 2014 12:00 AM EST
Investors need to go into a bitcoin ETF with ‘eyes wide open,’ the Winklevoss brothers say.There are many questions surrounding the Winklevoss Bitcoin Trust ETF such as its viability as ...
- WisdomTree’s New Long Dollar ETF Shines ETF.com - Tue, Nov 18, 2014 12:00 AM EST
The firm's long-dollar ETF ‘USDU’ is getting the attention it deserves.Long-dollar ETFs are all the rage in the currency space this year.
- 3 Things To Know About Cyber ETF ‘HACK’ ETF.com - Mon, Nov 17, 2014 12:00 AM EST
Is an ETF with a ticker like 'HACK' as good as it sounds?One of the newest ETFs to come to market offers investors first-of-a-kind exposure that’s focused exclusively on tech companies involved w...
- Why Did Your ETF Reverse Split? ETF.com - Fri, Nov 14, 2014 7:28 AM EST
Stock investors are used to splits, but why all the reverse splits in ETFs?It’s surprisingly common.
- A Cheaper Way To Use Pricey VXX Options ETF.com - Thu, Nov 13, 2014 12:00 AM EST
If you’re going to use VXX options, some ways are cheaper than others.This is a weekly column focusing on ETF options by Scott Nations, a proprietary trader and financial engineer with about 20 y...
- Finding The Right Int'l Bond ETF ETF.com - Wed, Nov 12, 2014 7:21 AM EST
Is there a sweet spot for fixed-income diversification?Yesterday I highlighted three funds I thought might help out most investor portfolios.
- China ‘Stock Connect’ To Impact Many ETFs ETF.com - Wed, Nov 12, 2014 5:48 AM EST
A new program linking exchanges in Hong Kong and mainland China will have far-reaching consequences.It’s official, the historic Shanghai-Hong Kong “Stock Connect” program will commence on Mon...
- These ETFs Will Fix Your Portfolio ETF.com - Tue, Nov 11, 2014 7:58 AM EST
Chances are, your finances need a tuneup.Every time we get insights into how actual investors are allocating their money, it’s somewhat depressing.Just a few weeks ago, we had the shocking news t...
- Uranium ETF Comes Back From The Dead ETF.com - Tue, Nov 11, 2014 7:10 AM EST
The restart of shuttered Japanese nukes breathes life into a moribund global uranium market.A left-for-dead global uranium market is showing major signs of life in the wake of Japan’s decision la...
- Advisor Views On MLP Funds & Notes ETF.com - Tue, Nov 11, 2014 12:00 AM EST
Straddling fixed income and energy growth is attractive.
- Stay On Sidelines With BRIC Funds ETF.com - Mon, Nov 10, 2014 6:30 AM EST
With the Russian ruble down almost 30 percent this year and India stocks at all-time highs, the divergence in the group is unsettling.It's easy to dismiss the "Brazil, Russia, India, China" market ...
- New Frontier Market ETFs On Horizon ETF.com - Mon, Nov 10, 2014 12:00 AM EST
Another frontier market ETF is likely coming up, and not a moment too soon.FTSE’s launch of its new frontier markets index series in September likely spells future competition for the popular iSh...
- 3 Viewpoints On A Newly Minted 5-Star ETF ETF.com - Fri, Nov 7, 2014 12:00 AM EST
An actively managed ETF, ‘TTFS,’ marks its three-year anniversary with mixed results.An ETF hit its three-year anniversary recently, an important milestone for any fund.
- Eaton Vance ETMF A Step Forward, But ... ETF.com - Thu, Nov 6, 2014 8:44 PM EST
Sometimes I’m wrong.
- Alibaba Spikes, But ETFs Are Lagging ETF.com - Thu, Nov 6, 2014 8:44 AM EST
While Alibaba’s shares are on a tear, the waves China’s Internet giant are making in ETFs is another story.Alibaba stock has been on a tear, rising roughly 18 percent from its closing pr...
- 3 ETF Tax Tips While There’s Still Time ETF.com - Thu, Nov 6, 2014 6:27 AM EST
You’ve got eight weeks left to get smart with your mutual funds and ETFs.It’s that time of year.
- A Breakout Year For Deutsche X-Trackers ETF.com - Thu, Nov 6, 2014 12:00 AM EST
In case you overlooked it, Deutsche Bank’s ‘X-trackers’ brand of ETFs is getting serious traction.Olly Ludwig recently wrote about First Trust enjoying a banner year.
- 10 Best Performing ETFs Year To Date ETF.com - Wed, Nov 5, 2014 12:00 AM EST
So far in 2014, India, coffee, biotech and long-dated Treasurys have been good to investors.There are a myriad themes coursing through our tally of the 10 best-performing ETFs year-to-date.
- Getting Your Developed Market ETFs Right ETF.com - Tue, Nov 4, 2014 6:10 AM EST
Year-to-date ETF flows show a lot of interest, but perhaps in the wrong funds.With only two months left to go in the year, I’m always curious where folks are placing their bets.
- 'Little' First Trust Enjoying Banner Year ETF.com - Mon, Nov 3, 2014 12:00 AM EST
Huge inflows into a single ETF tell the tale of a firm that’s on a roll.Last week an ETF from First Trust pulled in a huge amount of new money—going from basically no assets to more than $500 m...
- Supercharged QE Boosting Japan ETFs ETF.com - Fri, Oct 31, 2014 8:41 AM EDT
Japan’s central bank decision to increase asset purchases puts Japan ETFs back in the limelight.Japan is expanding its quantitative easing program for the first time in about 18 months, offering ...
- ETF Scary Monsters & Super Freaks ETF.com - Fri, Oct 31, 2014 6:36 AM EDT
No need for the horror movies, these ETFs will keep you up all night.I love Halloween.
- Livestock ETFs Delivering Outsized Gains ETF.com - Fri, Oct 31, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
Here’s one part of the commodity space where supply is not overabundant.No one has been particularly fond of commodity ETFs this year.
- Value Trap Underneath Gold Miner Fund GDX ETF.com - Thu, Oct 30, 2014 6:58 AM EDT
Divergence of earnings in the gold mining sector masks risks.Yesterday was a serious gut check for investors in the mining sector.
- Finding The Best Biotech ETF ETF.com - Wed, Oct 29, 2014 7:04 AM EDT
It's easy to be blinded by headline numbers.
- Beware Different Kinds Of ETF Yields ETF.com - Tue, Oct 28, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
Knowing what ‘yield’ even means is a crucial requirement for ETF investors.Investors continue to reach for yield in the current zero-interest-rate environment.
- Janus To Make Use Of Gross For ETF Push ETF.com - Fri, Oct 24, 2014 11:19 AM EDT
By acquiring VelocityShares and hiring Bill Gross, Janus says it’s laying the groundwork for a bigger future in ETFs.After barely a month into Bill Gross’ tenure at Janus, the company’s chief...
- SEC Denies Precidian Active ETF Request ETF.com - Wed, Oct 22, 2014 9:01 AM EDT
A brave new world of nontransparent active ETFs, for now, will have to wait.U.S.
- Milestone For Nontransparent Active ETFs ETF.com - Wed, Oct 22, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
This week, the NYSE expects to hear from the SEC.
- Your ETF Has ‘DRIP Drag’! ETF.com - Tue, Oct 21, 2014 8:17 AM EDT
When it comes to reinvesting dividends, mutual funds have ETFs beat.At ETF.com, we love to explain why ETFs are better than mutual funds—tax efficiency, transparency, lower average fees, insulati...
- Don’t Bet Either Way On Market Volatility ETF.com - Tue, Oct 21, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
With VIX spiking, it’s tempting to pile in or bet against it.
- 5 ETFs Crushing Their Indexes ETF.com - Mon, Oct 20, 2014 10:52 AM EDT
Some ETFs really do track their indexes better than others.Investors often spend much of their time focusing on an ETF’s expense ratio without taking into consideration the fund’s total holding...
- How New Commodity ETFs Really Work ETF.com - Fri, Oct 17, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
iShares’ new commodity fund splits the finest of marketing hairs.Today’s press release from BlackRock trumpeting its brand-new iShares Commodities Select Strategy ETF certainly sounds ...
- Betting On Yields With TLT Put Options ETF.com - Fri, Oct 17, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
In a volatile market, one TLT options trader makes an interesting bet on bond yields.This is a weekly column focusing on ETF options by Scott Nations, a proprietary trader and financial engineer wi...
- Goldman Sachs In Talks To Acquire IndexIQ ETF.com - Thu, Oct 16, 2014 1:51 PM EDT
Looks like Goldman plans to buy its way into the ETF industry.Goldman Sachs is in talks to acquire IndexIQ, an exchange-traded fund company best known for its hedge-fund replication fund, the IQ He...
- Smaller Emerging Markets ETF Hot New Trend ETF.com - Thu, Oct 16, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
The firm joins a new era of emerging market investing with the launch of a new fund.Today iShares launched a promising new emerging market ETF based on the “beyond BRICs” theme that’s gained ...
- MLP Funds Withstanding Oil’s Swoon ETF.com - Tue, Oct 14, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
Master limited partnership ETFs differ from broad energy ETFs in avoiding oil’s four-month decline.The sharp decline in oil prices has hit energy-sector ETFs hard.
- Eurozone’s QE Fuels Currency Hedged ETFs ETF.com - Thu, Oct 2, 2014 5:06 AM EDT
Investors in currency-hedged ETFs, take note: It’s official—the ECB is ready to roll out QE, eurozone style.As the Federal Reserve gets ready to wrap up QE, the European Central Bank is just be...
- Why Laddering Bond ETFs Works Right Now IndexUniverse.com - Thu, Oct 2, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
Forget perpetual bond ETFs—a laddered strategy might be just what you need in this rising-rate environment, Gradient Investments’ Wayne Schmidt says.
- Hong Kong-Linked Options Trade Revisited IndexUniverse.com - Thu, Oct 2, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
Revisiting an options trade focused on benefiting from growing upheaval in Hong Kong.This is a weekly column focusing on ETF options by Scott Nations, a proprietary trader and financial engineer wi...
- $97M More Exits PIMCO’s ‘BOND’ IndexUniverse.com - Wed, Oct 1, 2014 8:11 AM EDT
The loss of Bill Gross keeps costing PIMCO’s BOND assets under management.Investors pulled out $97 million from the PIMCO Total Return ETF on Tuesday, bringing to more than $540 millio...
- Beyond iBillionaire ETF’s Marketing Sizzle IndexUniverse.com - Wed, Oct 1, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
Can an equal-weighted large-cap ETF make you invest like a billionaire?In early August, Direxion Shares launched the Direxion iBillionaire Index ETF , which aims to track the investments of b...
- 12.5% Of BOND’s Assets Follow Gross Out IndexUniverse.com - Tue, Sep 30, 2014 7:27 AM EDT
A spike in BOND’s trading volume on Gross resignation turns out to be redemptions.Investors pulled out about 12.5 percent of the PIMCO Total Return ETF’s assets in the wake of Bill G...
- Currency Hedged ETFs Not Created Equal IndexUniverse.com - Tue, Sep 30, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
High interest rates in emerging markets are paid, not earned, for currency-hedged ETFs like HEEM and DBEM.Currency-hedged products like the Deutsche X-trackers MSCI Emerging Markets Hedged Equity E...
- Has Exodus From PIMCO's ‘BOND’ Begun? IndexUniverse.com - Mon, Sep 29, 2014 8:04 AM EDT
With Bill Gross out at PIMCO, some assets may follow him.A huge spike in trading volume Friday on the PIMCO Total Return ETF suggests assets may be flowing out of the fund that, until Th...
- PIMCO’s BOND: Active Management Warning IndexUniverse.com - Mon, Sep 29, 2014 5:44 AM EDT
Bill Gross’ departure is a wakeup call for active management fans.In case you’ve been under a rock, one of the few rock stars of investment management has jumped to a new band.
- Meb Faber Waves Red Flag On Dividend ETFs IndexUniverse.com - Mon, Sep 29, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
Income-hungry investors need to be aware of factor fatigue in the U.S.-dividend-ETF space.U.S.