- Retirement Tax Changes For 2014 @ Investopedia - 2 hours 56 minutes ago
To save efficiently for retirement, it pays to keep abreast of tax law changes. Limits on contributions for some plans have changed while those already receiving social security will see a pay boost.
- Retirement Woes Remain As Housing, Stock Markets Rebound @ Investopedia - Fri, Mar 7, 2014 8:10 PM EST
Despite a rebounding stock market and recent housing gains, retiring comfortably remains an elusive goal for the majority of Americans, recent surveys have found.
- Money Market Funds: Enough Regulation Already? @ Investopedia - Fri, Mar 7, 2014 8:57 AM EST
Since September, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has been sitting on proposed rules for money market mutual funds that would affect 61 million individual investors plus untold businesses that ...
- The Deal Boom Is Back With A Vengeance @ Investopedia - Thu, Mar 6, 2014 9:00 PM EST
With cheap available debt and large cash hordes, IPO and M&A activity is way up. Luckily for retail investors there are ways to cash in on the deal boom.
- How Financial Advisors Mistreat Women (And What Women Can Do About It) @ Investopedia - Wed, Mar 5, 2014 9:10 PM EST
While many women want professional help managing their finances, some male advisors still treat women as second-class citizens. We’ve talked to three women who work in the financial services industry about ...
- Rise of proxy fights @ Investopedia - Wed, Mar 5, 2014 3:12 PM EST
A proxy vote is a vote cast by an entity or person on behalf of another. This sets the stage for a proxy fight between the current directors and the group trying to usher in change.
- Price Consolidations Breaking to Upside @ Investopedia - Wed, Mar 5, 2014 2:00 PM EST
Four stocks and ETFs which had sharp moves higher and are now consolidating, with the expectation of upside breaks and further advances.
- JP Morgan's long-awaited ETF: Playing Close To The Vest @ Investopedia - Wed, Mar 5, 2014 11:00 AM EST
Why is JP Morgan getting into the ETF game now?
- What is a Bear Call Spread? @ Investopedia - Tue, Mar 4, 2014 7:34 PM EST
A bear call spread is an option strategy that involves the sale of a call option, and the simultaneous purchase of a call option (on the same underlying asset) with the same expiration date but a higher ...
- Overvaluing Liquidity: Invest For The Future, Not For Today @ Investopedia - Sat, Mar 1, 2014 2:56 AM EST
If you talk to individual investors about which stocks they own, you will undoubtedly hear a recitation of the same stocks that dominate the financial media on a daily basis.Everyone owns and trades stocks ...
- Mt. Gox Bankruptcy Will Force Changes In Bitcoin @ Investopedia - Sat, Mar 1, 2014 12:26 AM EST
On Friday, Mt. Gox filed for bankruptcy protection. This announcement doesn't surprise anyone who has been following bitcoin since May 2013, when Mt. Gox started having issues processing withdrawals. Instead ...
- More Big Moves In Social Media Short Interest (LNKD, TWTR, ZNGA) @ Investopedia - Fri, Feb 28, 2014 6:22 PM EST
Early February saw resumed interest by short sellers in several social media companies based in the United States, particularly LinkedIn (NYSE: ZNGA). The number of shares short in Facebook, Groupon, Shutterfly ...
- #PreMarket Primer: Friday, February 28: Tension Between Russia And The West Escalates @ Investopedia - Fri, Feb 28, 2014 6:17 PM EST
The ongoing problems in Ukraine have begun to reach further than the country’s borders as tension between the West and Russia ramps up. On Friday, armed forces took control of two Crimean airports. The ...
- Building A Better Mousetrap With Smart Beta ETFs @ Investopedia - Fri, Feb 28, 2014 2:30 PM EST
More smart beta and altermative indexed funds are coming to brokerage account near you. But what exactly are these funds and how can use them in a portfolio?
- Need To Enroll In Obamacare? File Your Taxes @ Investopedia - Fri, Feb 28, 2014 8:17 AM EST
Taxpayers who need to obtain health coverage under the Affordable Care Act can now do so easily and conveniently when they file their taxes through an eligible preparer.
- Bitcoin Mass Hysteria: The Disaster that Brought Down Mt. Gox @ Investopedia - Thu, Feb 27, 2014 11:50 AM EST
The disastrous halt in trading on Mt. Gox, a popular Bitcoin-trading web site, sent the Bitcoin world into a panic.
- How to construct a risk parity portfolio @ Investopedia - Wed, Feb 26, 2014 9:38 PM EST
A risk parity portfolio is one in which each asset class contributes equally to the total risk of a diversified portfolio. The risk parity concept was pioneered in 1996 by Ray Dalio, the founder of hedge ...
- Bullish And Bearish MACD Crossovers @ Investopedia - Wed, Feb 26, 2014 5:35 PM EST
Two stocks with bullish MACD crossovers, and two stocks with bearish MACD crossovers.
- European Stocks Are Ripe For The Picking @ Investopedia - Wed, Feb 26, 2014 2:50 PM EST
Things continue to get better for Europe. After going through some pretty nasty side-effects in the aftermath of the Great Recession, growth has once again returned. For investors, that could mean adding ...
- The Powerful Play In Propane (APU, EPD, NGLS, SPH, FGP, SXL) @ Investopedia - Wed, Feb 26, 2014 1:30 PM EST
While traditionally not a glamorous business, propane processing and distribution is quickly turning into a major growth sector. Rising demand and exports are fueling higher prices and margins. For investors, ...
- Exhausted Selling Model Investopedia - Wed, Feb 26, 2014 12:00 PM EST
A pricing model used to estimate when the price floor of a security has been reached.
- Marginal Rate of Technical Substitution Investopedia - Wed, Feb 26, 2014 12:00 PM EST
The rate at which one factor has to be decreased in order to retain the same level of productivity if another factor is increased.
- Monday's Move - Breakout Or Fake Out? @ Investopedia - Wed, Feb 26, 2014 12:37 AM EST
On December 31, 2013, the March S&P 500 Index (NYSE: SPY) futures made an all-time intraday high at 1846.50 and posted an all-time high close at 1841.00. Keep in mind for investors not trading the futures, ...
- Target Earnings Preview: More Pain To Come? @ Investopedia - Tue, Feb 25, 2014 6:12 PM EST
Target (NYSE: TGT), which is still reeling from a massive credit card data breach late last year, is scheduled to report its fiscal fourth-quarter and full-year results Wednesday, February 26, before the ...
- J.C. Penney Earnings Preview: How Bad Will It Be? @ Investopedia - Tue, Feb 25, 2014 6:10 PM EST
Struggling retailer J.C. Penney (NYSE: JCP), which George Soros's hedge fund recently exited, is scheduled to report its fiscal fourth-quarter and full-year results Wednesday, February 26, after the closing ...
- Signs You Need a Money Manager Now @ Investopedia - Mon, Feb 24, 2014 8:35 PM EST
Do you know if you will have enough money in retirement? And is your current portfolio performing up to expectations?
- Barron's Recap: Trouble In The Pipeline? @ Investopedia - Sun, Feb 23, 2014 7:56 PM EST
This weekend in Barron's online: troubles at Kinder Morgan, America's top financial advisors, dividends with big potential, investing in the polar vortex, as well as the prospects for Kaiser Aluminum and ...
- Market Summary For February 21, 2014 @ Investopedia - Fri, Feb 21, 2014 4:30 PM EST
Summary of the major U.S. indices for the week ended February 21, 2014.
- Creative Ways to Protect Your Stock Portfolio @ Investopedia - Fri, Feb 21, 2014 4:01 PM EST
Protecting your stock portfolio is an extremely important part of portfolio management.
- A Brief Guide To Institutional Investing @ Investopedia - Thu, Feb 20, 2014 6:36 PM EST
Institutional investors are organizations that manage assets on others' behalf. They include pension funds, investment companies, insurance firms, endowments and private foundations.
- With The Market At New Highs- It’s Time To Look Towards GARP @ Investopedia - Thu, Feb 20, 2014 3:00 PM EST
With the broad market hitting new highs, stocks aren’t as cheap as they once were. That’s were GARP style investing can come in. Bridging both growth and value investing, GARP is the best way to find cheap ...
- Bitcoin Innovations And Obstacles @ Investopedia - Thu, Feb 20, 2014 1:13 PM EST
Investopedia explains about the development of the Bitcoin digital currency system and the risks associated with using and investing in it.
- Is Your Employer-Provided Life Insurance Coverage Enough? @ Investopedia - Thu, Feb 20, 2014 8:15 AM EST
Learn about the several potential problems involved with obtaining life insurance through your employer.
- Product Portfolio @ Investopedia - Wed, Feb 19, 2014 10:16 PM EST
Investopedia explains: A Product Portfolio is the collection of different items a company sells.
- The 4 R's Of Investing In Retail @ Investopedia - Wed, Feb 19, 2014 7:00 PM EST
In retail, successfully managing return on investment (ROI) and other financial indicators is the key to a healthy business.
- Four Breakout Stocks To Watch @ Investopedia - Wed, Feb 19, 2014 3:00 PM EST
These biotechnology and pharmaceutical stocks continue to put in new highs, but indicators are diverging.
- Money Habits Of The Millennials @ Investopedia - Wed, Feb 19, 2014 1:00 PM EST
Millennials are facing the bleakest financial future of any generation in decades, and are not likely to enjoy the same standard of living as their parents did. Their spending and investing habits are ...
- An Overview of Weather Derivatives Investopedia - Tue, Feb 18, 2014 7:00 PM EST
Investopedia explains: Weather derivatives allow businesses to safeguard against unusual temperatures or levels of precipitation that may adversely affect financial performance.
- What To Do When You Can’t Pay Your Taxes @ Investopedia - Tue, Feb 18, 2014 2:00 PM EST
Falling behind on your tax obligations is the financial equivalent of a root canal. Take the pain away by following these tips, and get square with Uncle Sam.
- What Is A Bull Put Spread? @ Investopedia - Tue, Feb 18, 2014 10:00 AM EST
Investopedia explains: A bull put spread is a variation of the popular put writing strategy, in which an options investor writes a put on a stock to collect premium income and perhaps buy the stock at ...
- Biotech And Natural Gas ETFs On A Roll @ Investopedia - Sun, Feb 16, 2014 9:08 PM EST
Shares of the following exchange traded funds are trading more than 20 percent higher than 90 days ago, and they are within 10 percent of their 52-week highs. This set of ETFs provides a peek at areas ...
- Barron's Recap: The Case For Four Percent Growth In 2014 @ Investopedia - Sun, Feb 16, 2014 9:07 PM EST
This weekend in Barron's online: a robust forecast for the U.S. economy, a special report on master limited partnerships, as well as the prospects for American Airlines, CVS Caremark, EPL Oil & Gas and ...
- Market Review For February 14, 2014 @ Investopedia - Fri, Feb 14, 2014 5:54 PM EST
Major U.S. indices moved higher this week despite poor readings on some economic indicators.
- Angie's List Fourth Quarter Results: Buying Opportunity Or Further Downside Ahead? @ Investopedia - Fri, Feb 14, 2014 3:38 AM EST
On Wednesday, Angie's List (NASDAQ: ANGI) reported its fourth quarter results. The company announced an EPS of $0.05, missing the consensus estimate by eight cents. Revenue of $68.8 million beat the consensus ...
- Short Sellers Pick Up Some Avon And GameStop (AVP, GME, ODP) @ Investopedia - Thu, Feb 13, 2014 11:49 PM EST
In the final two weeks of January, when it had become clear how the holiday shopping season had shaken out and the markets seemed to be undergoing a correction, Avon Products (NYSE: ODP) saw significant ...
- BioMarin Bucks Biotech Short Interest Trend (BIIB, BMRN, MDVN) @ Investopedia - Thu, Feb 13, 2014 9:18 PM EST
Among the leading biotech and emerging pharmaceutical companies, Incyte (NASDAQ: PCYC) saw the largest percentage declines in short interest between the January 15 and January 31 settlement dates.Short ...
- FIRE Economy @ Investopedia - Thu, Feb 13, 2014 12:00 PM EST
Investopedia explains: a fire economy is the sector composed of finance, insurance and real estate (FIRE).
- Your Employer's Stock: Should You Buy In? Investopedia - Thu, Feb 13, 2014 12:00 PM EST
- How To File A Tax Extension @ Investopedia - Thu, Feb 13, 2014 8:22 AM EST
Learn the process you need to follow to grant yourself an extra six months on the deadline for filing your tax return.
- Whole Foods' Q1 Earnings Miss, Reduced Guidance Scares Off Investors @ Investopedia - Thu, Feb 13, 2014 3:39 AM EST
Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ: WFM) isn't getting the kind of investor attention it may have hoped for this afternoon.The natural foods supermarket chain was hit hard by investors who were less-than-excited ...