- Why The 4% Retirement Rule Is No Longer Safe Investopedia - 4 hours ago
Some big-name investment firms believe the 4% rule for annual withdrawals is still valid but most advocate greater flexibility as stock markets gyrate.
- Comparing The P/E, EPS And Earnings Yield Investopedia - 8 hours ago
P/E may be the established standard for valuation purposes, but the earnings yield is especially useful for comparing potential returns across different instruments.
- Introduction To Single Stock Futures Investopedia - 8 hours ago
These contracts allow for easier shorting, and provide more leverage and flexibility than stocks.
- An Inside Look At ETF Construction Investopedia - 8 hours ago
If you're an investor who likes to understand how and why your investment products work, this article is for you!
- How Obamacare Is Raising Your Taxes Investopedia - 10 hours ago
There are literally dozens of new, amended or broadened tax provisions under the Obamacare legislation. Find out how your taxes will be affected in the years to come.
- The State Of The Tech Titans @ Investopedia - Wed, Dec 4, 2013 2:06 PM EST
The Technology sector has been a top performer and the only one holding out for a gain over the last week. Here's the outlook for four of the the worlds largest technology companies.
- Mutual Funds: Does Size Really Matter? Investopedia - Wed, Dec 4, 2013 1:00 PM EST
The growth of mutual funds isn't always cause for celebration. Read on to find out why not.
- Earn More Profit With Less Trading Investopedia - Wed, Dec 4, 2013 12:00 PM EST
Avoiding overtrading can save your money and your sanity. Find out how to slow your turnover and build your profits.
- Are Hedged Mutual Funds For You? Investopedia - Wed, Dec 4, 2013 11:55 AM EST
Long the purview of institutional investors and ultra-wealthy individuals, financial services firms are making alternative investment strategies available to a wider audience of investors. Understanding ...
- How Paying For College Begins Well Before Freshman Year Investopedia - Wed, Dec 4, 2013 9:25 AM EST
Don't overlook the hidden real costs of paying for college, especially those early expenses that mount while your child is still in high school.
- Japanese Stocks Continue To Outperform @ Investopedia - Tue, Dec 3, 2013 1:15 PM EST
While Japan has been called dead money for years, the past year has removed that moniker perhaps for good. With supportive policies in place, the gains for the nation’s equities could continue into 2014....
- Turnaround Titan: How Carl Icahn Does It Investopedia - Tue, Dec 3, 2013 11:50 AM EST
Carl Icahn's investment strategy, explained to regular investors.
- Healthcare 2.0 - Obamacare Reboots The Health Insurance Market Investopedia - Tue, Dec 3, 2013 10:20 AM EST
People who want to buy or switch their health insurance will have access to a much wider array of choices through the web, where health insurers will have to compete for our business.
- #PreMarket Primer: Monday, December, 2: Thousands Of Protesters Gather In Kiev @ Investopedia - Mon, Dec 2, 2013 6:01 PM EST
After Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych decided to put off sighing an accord with the EU, protesters took to the streets in what has become the nation's most dramatic uprising since Orange Revolution ...
- Technology Sector Making A Comeback @ Investopedia - Mon, Dec 2, 2013 2:00 PM EST
Technical evidence indicates the uptrend remains strong. Here's the outlook for top performing sectors, along with stocks to watch in each, for the week of December 2.
- Using The Mirror Trading Strategy For Stocks Investopedia - Mon, Dec 2, 2013 12:01 PM EST
Mirror investing offers transparency and the ability to benefit from someone else’s investment expertise, but it could well be a fad that appeals to a limited number of investors.
- Earnings Expectations For The Week Of December 2 @ Investopedia - Mon, Dec 2, 2013 12:06 AM EST
Quarterly reports from retailers Kroger (NYSE: DG) will be among the highlights this week. A couple of Chinese solar companies and the big Canadian banks are scheduled to report as well. Below is a quick ...
- Risk Management Techniques For Active Traders Investopedia - Sat, Nov 30, 2013 12:00 PM EST
Use stop-loss and take-profit points to your advantage with these strategies.
- Challenges Faced When Analyzing Green Chip Stocks Investopedia - Fri, Nov 29, 2013 6:50 PM EST
The fact that a green chip is not yet a blue chip should not alarm investors, but they need to be aware of the differences and challenges that can arise from assuming these are durable companies with sustainable ...
- Market Review For November 29, 2013 @ Investopedia - Fri, Nov 29, 2013 4:48 PM EST
The major U.S. indices moved higher this week, led by small-cap and technology stocks, as the Conference Board’s index of leading indicators rose 0.2% in October to 97.5. Recent gains in the index suggest ...
- The Intelligent Investor: Benjamin Graham Investopedia - Fri, Nov 29, 2013 1:00 PM EST
Learn about the man who mentored Warren Buffett, who eventually became the investing "Oracle of Omaha".
- An Introduction To Factor Investing Investopedia - Thu, Nov 28, 2013 7:55 PM EST
Factor investing delivers risk adjusted results that deliver the same or better investment returns as the overall market but with less risk.
- The Time Is Right To Buy Hewlett-Packard @ Investopedia - Thu, Nov 28, 2013 2:25 PM EST
Though it faces many challenges, shares of Hewlett-Packard are too cheap to ignore.
- Broadening Your Portfolio's Borders Investopedia - Thu, Nov 28, 2013 9:00 AM EST
Find out what type of international fund might suit your needs in gaining exposure to foreign markets.
- The Drawbacks Of Single-Payer Healthcare Investopedia - Wed, Nov 27, 2013 7:00 PM EST
Universal healthcare has many benefits, but if there's no such thing as a free lunch, then in what ways are single-pay citizens paying for their "free" healthcare?
- #PreMarket Primer for November 27: Some US Retailers Fight To Preserve Thanksgiving @ Investopedia - Wed, Nov 27, 2013 5:44 PM EST
With several large retail chains planning to begin their Black Friday deals on Thanksgiving, some retailers are holding firm and refusing to participate even if it means losing some of their sales. Although ...
- Forex Trading The Martingale Way Investopedia - Wed, Nov 27, 2013 1:00 PM EST
The Martingale system boasts a near-100% success rate, if you have the money. Find out if this is the right strategy for you.
- Currency ETF Outlook @ Investopedia - Wed, Nov 27, 2013 1:00 PM EST
Like other investments, currencies change price based on supply and demand, driven by fundamentals and technical. These four popular currency ETFs currently have compelling technical opportunities.
- What You Need To Know About Binary Options Outside The U.S. Investopedia - Wed, Nov 27, 2013 12:40 PM EST
Binary or digital options are a simple way to trade price fluctuations in multiple global markets.
- Warren Buffett: U.S. Is Better With Detroit Than Without @ Investopedia - Wed, Nov 27, 2013 3:35 AM EST
Berkshire Hathaway (NYSE: BRK-A) (NYSE: BRK-B) Chairman and CEO Warren Buffett believes that Detroit is an essential part of the country."The United States with a flourishing Detroit is going to be ...
- Focusing on Healthcare and Financials this Week Investopedia - Mon, Nov 25, 2013 4:58 PM EST
Health Care and Financials dramatically outpaced the other sectors last week as the S&P 500 created a new high . With only minor pullbacks since mid-October the buyers have been aggressive, indicating ...
- The Time For Cyclical Stocks Is Now @ Investopedia - Mon, Nov 25, 2013 3:00 PM EST
Its official, the data is pointing towards the next phase of the business cycle- economic expansion. That means, it’s time for investors to load up on cyclical stocks. As these firms profit from the expanding ...
- Cash Flow Statement: Analyzing Cash Flow From Investing Activities Investopedia - Mon, Nov 25, 2013 12:00 PM EST
Reviewing investment activity is one of the most important exercises an individual can do to see how efficiently a company's management is using shareholder capital to run is operations.
- Exotic Options: A Getaway From Ordinary Trading Investopedia - Mon, Nov 25, 2013 10:00 AM EST
Exotic options are like regular options, except that they have unique features that make them complex. These unusual investment vehicles can reignite your interest in trading.
- Barron's Recap: Underestimating Sirius XM @ Investopedia - Sun, Nov 24, 2013 12:02 AM EST
This weekend in Barron's online: a look at Sirius XM, the prospects for retailers this holiday shopping season, a small bank merger, Qualcomm ages gracefully and more.Cover Story"Sound of Success" ...
- What Are The Odds Of Scoring A Winning Trade? Investopedia - Sat, Nov 23, 2013 12:00 PM EST
Just because you're on a winning streak, it doesn't mean you're a skilled trader. Find out why.
- The Chorus of Market Negativity Grows While The Pool of Opportunity Shrinks @ Investopedia - Sat, Nov 23, 2013 12:49 AM EST
You can add David Einhorn's voice to those concerned about the current market conditions. Speaking at the Robin Hood Foundation gathering this week, he responded to a question about the market saying “It's ...
- If Kennedy, Eisenhower, Alexander the Great Et Al Were Leaders in Finance Investopedia - Fri, Nov 22, 2013 2:00 PM EST
Would Eisenhower, Roosevelt and Kissinger have made good corporate executives? What about Alexander the Great?
- Market Review for November 22, 2013 @ Investopedia - Fri, Nov 22, 2013 2:00 PM EST
The major U.S. indices moved largely higher this week, although many of them appear to be oversold based on readings from the RSI indicator.
- Getting A Handle On The Options Premium Investopedia - Fri, Nov 22, 2013 12:32 PM EST
The price of an option, otherwise known as the premium, has two basic components: the intrinsic value and the time value. Understanding these factors better can help the trader discern which contracts ...
- The Bullish Set-Up In Platinum @ Investopedia - Wed, Nov 20, 2013 5:10 PM EST
The recent precious metals rout has unearthed plenty of bargains. One of the biggest could be in platinum. Analysts predict another year of supply constraints in the face of rising demand. For investors, ...
- Four Stocks Setting Up For A Move Lower @ Investopedia - Wed, Nov 20, 2013 4:50 PM EST
With the S&P 500 very close to all time highs, not everything is a buy. These stocks have recently formed head and shoulder patterns; if the pattern completes it is a classic technical analysis reversal ...
- Executive Pay: How Much Do Shareholders Really Care? Investopedia - Wed, Nov 20, 2013 3:15 PM EST
How much do shareholders - or the public - really care about executive pay? A new SEC proposal may be aimed at finding out.
- Now Is The Time To Buy Consumer Staples Stocks @ Investopedia - Wed, Nov 20, 2013 3:15 PM EST
As the markets have swooned, so have many boring sectors. That includes consumer staples stocks. Still, the sector could still be a value based on historical data. Investors may not want to abandon the ...
- Reducing Risk With Options Investopedia - Wed, Nov 20, 2013 12:50 PM EST
If you want to use leverage to your advantage, you must know how many contracts to buy.
- Impact of Share Repurchases Investopedia - Wed, Nov 20, 2013 12:19 PM EST
Share repurchases can have a significant positive impact on an investor’s portfolio and are a great way to build investor wealth over time.
- Double Declining Balance Depreciation Method Investopedia - Wed, Nov 20, 2013 12:00 PM EST
One of two common methods a business uses to account for the expense of a long-lived asset. The double declining balance depreciation method is an accelerated depreciation method that counts 20% of the ...
- A Strong Prognosis For Healthcare Stocks @ Investopedia - Tue, Nov 19, 2013 3:00 PM EST
Despite the healthcare sectors recent torrid run, there’s still plenty to like about stocks in the industry. Aside from tailwinds created by the Affordable Care Act, demographics is playing a huge future ...
- Investing in Foreign Stocks: ADRs and GDRs Investopedia - Tue, Nov 19, 2013 12:42 PM EST
Depositary Receipts are easy ways to invest in foreign stocks, regardless of what part of the world you live in.
- Sectors To Watch For An Expected Bullish Week @ Investopedia - Mon, Nov 18, 2013 2:04 PM EST
If the market continues to push this higher, these two sectors will likely be top performers again. The uptrend remain is in tact and strong for the overall market, so buying sectors and stocks showing ...