- Worst things to buy at Walmart Kiplinger - 13 hours ago
- 8 Losing Stocks to Sell Before Year-End @ Kiplinger - 15 hours ago
With the stock market shaky of late, this may be a good time to consider "harvesting" investment losses.
- Money Advice for Millennials @ Kiplinger - 16 hours ago
Here's how parents can help their adult children learn to manage their finances.
- Should You Do All of Your Shopping at Walmart? @ Kiplinger - 17 hours ago
The mega-retailer offers a huge selection at low prices, but it's possible to find better deals elsewhere.
- Year-End Strategies for Retirees to Trim 2014 Tax Tab @ Kiplinger - 17 hours ago
Act now to reduce the amount you will owe Uncle Sam next tax season.
- Financial Planners for Young Clients @ Kiplinger - 20 hours ago
Millennials prefer to pay by the month and stay in touch via text message.
- Most affordable big cities in the U.S. Kiplinger - Wed, Oct 22, 2014 3:33 PM EDT
- Cheap Ways to Celebrate Halloween @ Kiplinger - Wed, Oct 22, 2014 3:30 PM EDT
Tips from personal finance bloggers on how to enjoy tricks and treats without the scary expense.
- Save on Taxes by Donating RMDs From Your Retirement Plan? @ Kiplinger - Wed, Oct 22, 2014 1:20 PM EDT
Congress usually waits until the last minute to approve the law allowing transfers of required minimum distributions from IRAs to charity. So stay nimble.
- What Will Higher Rates Do to the Kip 25 Bond Funds? @ Kiplinger - Wed, Oct 22, 2014 1:20 PM EDT
All of our picks are likely to lose value, but some will suffer more than others.
- It's Time for Open Enrollment for Health Care Exchanges @ Kiplinger - Wed, Oct 22, 2014 11:07 AM EDT
You have a three-month window to shop around for a better deal on individual health insurance.
- Handle Junk Bonds With Care @ Kiplinger - Wed, Oct 22, 2014 8:09 AM EDT
They still pay more than most debt, but bargains are scarce.
- The U.S. Economy Is the World's Growth Engine Again @ Kiplinger - Tue, Oct 21, 2014 2:20 PM EDT
As more Americans find jobs, they're willing to spend. That's giving the economy enough oomph to overcome slowing among big U.S. trade partners.
- How Overpaid CEOs Hurt Investors @ Kiplinger - Tue, Oct 21, 2014 8:09 AM EDT
If more companies spread their wealth beyond the boardroom, they'd improve their bottom lines.
- Promising Bargains in Biotech Stocks @ Kiplinger - Mon, Oct 20, 2014 8:13 AM EDT
What I like about BioDelivery Sciences is not so much that there are many ways to win as that there are almost no ways to lose.
- Tax Breaks for Dependent-Care Expenses @ Kiplinger - Fri, Oct 17, 2014 6:00 PM EDT
For most couples, using money from a flexible spending account offers a bigger tax break than the child-care credit.
- Best Cities for Young Home Buyers @ Kiplinger - Fri, Oct 17, 2014 6:00 PM EDT
Homeownership may seem out of your reach, but in these 10 locations, it may be more attainable than you think.
- 10 Travel Tweeters You Should Follow to Save Money @ Kiplinger - Fri, Oct 17, 2014 3:40 PM EDT
Travelers in search of good deals and budget-minded advice should turn to Twitter for guidance.
- 12 smart year-end tax moves to make now Kiplinger - Fri, Oct 17, 2014 2:43 PM EDT
2014 has been a prosperous year for taxpayers who own stock and mutual funds outside of their retirement accounts. If you're in the 15% tax bracket, you'll pay 0% on long-term capital gains. In 2014, you're eligible for the 0% capital-gains rate if your taxable income is $36,900 or less if you are single, or $73,800 or …
- 5 Underperforming S&P Stocks to Buy Now @ Kiplinger - Fri, Oct 17, 2014 12:20 PM EDT
To find out, we sifted through the index's losers over the past 12 months and sorted out those that our favorite stock fund managers have recently acquired, as well as those that are favorably rated by Wall Street analysts. All are contrarian bets and come with above-average risk, and all will require some (or maybe a …
- Secrets to Saving at the Supermarket @ Kiplinger - Fri, Oct 17, 2014 12:20 PM EDT
Here's how to spend less on groceries during your next trip to the store.
- Yieldcos: Alternative-Energy Stocks for Dividend Investors @ Kiplinger - Thu, Oct 16, 2014 4:20 PM EDT
Yieldcos, which operate wind, solar and other power-generation facilities, spin off most of their steady earnings to shareholders.
- What Home Improvement Shows Do Not Tell You @ Kiplinger - Thu, Oct 16, 2014 3:10 PM EDT
You start off your Saturday morning ready to tackle your to-do list, but somehow you end up on the couch, flipping through TV channels. Six hour-long episodes of home-buying/selling/renovation reality TV shows later, you're now a self-proclaimed expert.
- Pick the Best Index Fund for You @ Kiplinger - Thu, Oct 16, 2014 2:00 PM EDT
Smart-beta funds, which are emerging as alternatives to traditional stock-index funds, are worth a look.
- Biggest Mistakes Investors Make @ Kiplinger - Thu, Oct 16, 2014 12:50 PM EDT
In the stock market, as in life, nothing is certain. The vast opportunities for creating wealth by investing come with plenty of risks, such as the 2008-2009 stock market collapse and the sharp contraction this month. At Kiplinger, we believe everyone, whether you're just beginning a career or already enjoying retirement, …
- 3 Out-of-the-Box Proposals to Fix the Student Loan Mess @ Kiplinger - Thu, Oct 16, 2014 8:09 AM EDT
Education gurus push novel solutions to the debt problem.
- New Formula for Credit Scores @ Kiplinger - Thu, Oct 16, 2014 8:09 AM EDT
The changes could make a significant difference in FICO scores.
- Why Stocks Keep Plunging and What to Do Now @ Kiplinger - Wed, Oct 15, 2014 6:30 PM EDT
The news is glum on several fronts, but the prospects for a recession remain slim. It's important to stick with your plan.
- When to DIY and When to Hire a Pro @ Kiplinger - Wed, Oct 15, 2014 1:50 PM EDT
Tips from personal finance bloggers on whether you should try to save money by tackling projects on your own.
- What You'll Pay in the Medicare Part D Doughnut Hole @ Kiplinger - Wed, Oct 15, 2014 10:20 AM EDT
The gap in coverage that requires you to pay most of your drug costs is shrinking again for 2015.
- When Is an Independent Contractor Really an Employee? @ Kiplinger - Wed, Oct 15, 2014 8:08 AM EDT
Many businesses, especially tech start-ups, fudge on legal distinctions to keep their labor costs low and cap their official employee count.
- A Technology ETF With Balanced Holdings @ Kiplinger - Wed, Oct 15, 2014 8:08 AM EDT
With First Trust Nasdaq-100-Technology Sector Index fund, the smallest companies get the same weighting as Apple.
- How to Save Money on Halloween @ Kiplinger - Tue, Oct 14, 2014 2:40 PM EDT
Follow these tips to keep the cost of candy, costumes and decorations from reaching scary heights.
- Get the Most From Inherited IRAs @ Kiplinger - Tue, Oct 14, 2014 8:08 AM EDT
If you set the account up wrong, Uncle Sam will be the big winner.
- How to Get Started Building Wealth @ Kiplinger - Mon, Oct 13, 2014 8:13 AM EDT
When you're just starting to earn money, saving may not be the first priority that comes to mind. But it should be.
- When to Seek Help With Your Investments @ Kiplinger - Mon, Oct 13, 2014 8:13 AM EDT
We could all benefit from the guidance of professional financial planners from time to time. Here is a range of options, from free to comprehensive.
- Best Stocks for Socially Responsible Investors @ Kiplinger - Sat, Oct 11, 2014 8:13 AM EDT
When it began to blossom in the 1980s, "socially responsible" investing was mostly about what investors didn't want to own. Today, socially responsible investing is largely dedicated to investing for the greater good of humankind and the planet, which means focusing on companies that have pledged to work toward those goals …
- Ways to Remote-Control Your Home @ Kiplinger - Sat, Oct 11, 2014 8:13 AM EDT
Using your iPhone or Android phone's contacts, you send a "virtual key" that allows the recipient to unlock the door wirelessly. The free Wink app (www.winkapp.com) lets you use your Android or Apple device to control more than 60 home appliances, including lighting systems, thermostats, smoke alarms and sprinkler sys …
- Best cell-phone plans for every type of user Kiplinger - Fri, Oct 10, 2014 6:00 PM EDT
- What You'll Pay for Medicare in 2015 @ Kiplinger - Fri, Oct 10, 2014 4:20 PM EDT
The premiums and deductible for Part B are the same as in 2014, but you may have to pay more for Part D.
- What the New SEC Rules Mean for Your Money Market Funds @ Kiplinger - Fri, Oct 10, 2014 4:20 PM EDT
Don't fret the rumors. The funds individuals invest in will be safer than ever--and just as boring.
- When Efforts to Save Money on Vacation Backfire @ Kiplinger - Fri, Oct 10, 2014 3:00 PM EDT
On a recent family trip, I found that my best-laid plans to keep costs under control were thwarted.
- 5 Ways Women Can Earn As Much As Men @ Kiplinger - Fri, Oct 10, 2014 3:00 PM EDT
The gender wage gap is closing very slowly. Here's how you can ensure you're getting all the pay you deserve now.
- Surprising Things You Can Rent @ Kiplinger - Fri, Oct 10, 2014 1:50 PM EDT
You can rent designer apparel for your young fashionista through Wearhop.com. By purchasing, you leave yourself the option to resell the clothing online or through a consignment shop once your kids have outgrown the outfits, assuming they are still in good condition. Designer Handbags Before you get too excited about …
- 7 Things That Will Soon Disappear @ Kiplinger - Fri, Oct 10, 2014 1:50 PM EDT
Ten years ago, thousands of Blockbuster Video stores occupied buildings like this all over the country, renting DVDs and selling popcorn. Few things are as symbolic of farming as the moldboard plow, but the truth is, the practice of "turning the soil" is dying off.
- Expect Deals on New 2015 Car Models @ Kiplinger - Fri, Oct 10, 2014 8:09 AM EDT
You'll find the biggest bargains on cars that buyers are steering clear of. That includes compact and midsize sedans.
- Fix Your Online Reputation @ Kiplinger - Fri, Oct 10, 2014 8:09 AM EDT
You can probably polish your profile yourself.
- Small-Business Success Story: A New Career in Solar Power @ Kiplinger - Fri, Oct 10, 2014 8:09 AM EDT
A former software engineer harnesses the sun to charge devices on the go.
- 6 Steps to Building More Wealth @ Kiplinger - Thu, Oct 9, 2014 11:20 AM EDT
We give you all the tools you need to reach your financial goals.
- How to Prepare for the Coming Bear Market @ Kiplinger - Thu, Oct 9, 2014 11:20 AM EDT
Take steps now to insulate your portfolio from the next big stock selloff.