- Colleges With the Lowest Average Graduating Debt @ Kiplinger - 16 hours ago
Thinkstock Educational quality is key for parents and students as they zero in on a college. But what makes a school really stand out is its ability to provide a high-quality education at a cost that doesn't ...
- Smart Retirement Strategies for Women @ Kiplinger - 16 hours ago
This divide is particularly striking when it comes to preparing for retirement. Because women have longer life expectancies, they will probably have to provide for themselves in retirement longer than men. As a result, they tend to amass less in retirement savings.
- Best Values in All-Wheel-Drive Vehicles, 2016 @ Kiplinger - 16 hours ago
When you have to drive on the white stuff--or, worse, a wintry mix--you want to feel confident that you can get where you're going. All-wheel drive can help give you that assurance. With the ability to ...
- Cheap S&P 500 Stocks to Buy Now Kiplinger - 16 hours ago
Thinkstock Energy stocks may be the biggest losers of the past year. But the market's slide since early December has pulled down everything from banks to chemical companies. Some of the worst-performing ...
- 9 Items You Might Be Surprised Are Taxable @ Kiplinger - 16 hours ago
In February 2013, a northern California couple were walking their dog on their rural property when they discovered six cans filled with 19th-century gold coins. The coins, which are being sold by Kagin's Inc. of Tiburon, Calif. (and are also available online via Amazon.com), may be worth up to $10 million.
- Middle Class Tax Breaks for the Rest of Us Kiplinger - 16 hours ago
If you believe that tax breaks are for millionaires and companies with offshore subsidiaries, you're probably paying too much to the IRS. In recent years, lawmakers have enacted dozens of tax incentives targeted at middle-class families. Taking full advantage of these tax breaks is particularly important for dual-income …
- How to Score Big Bargains on Super Bowl Sunday @ Kiplinger - Sat, Feb 6, 2016 12:14 PM EST
If Cam Newton, chicken wings and funny commercials aren't your things, you can score great values while others watch the big game.
- Stocks Paying Dividends for 100 Years or More Kiplinger - Sat, Feb 6, 2016 12:12 PM EST
Thinkstock Members of Standard & Poor's 500-stock index that have raised cash payments to stockholders 25 years in a row are known as dividend aristocrats. The title dividend champions goes to U.S. stocks, ...
- Great Places to Retire If You Hate the Cold @ Kiplinger - Sat, Feb 6, 2016 12:10 PM EST
The following retirement destinations offer warm climates that, even in January (the coldest month for much the U.S.), rarely see temperatures drop below freezing. Others you might expect, such as in Arizona and Georgia, can actually get pretty cold in the dead of winter, so they didn't quite make the cut (but they still …
- 7 Great Stocks for a Rocky Economy Kiplinger - Sat, Feb 6, 2016 12:05 PM EST
Investing for more than 50 years, Warren Buffett has made a fortune on everything from bank stocks to shares of a Chinese battery maker. Google's parent company, Alphabet (GOOGL, $745.46), now includes everything from self-driving cars to "smart home" energy products.
- Job Market Shows Underlying Strength @ Kiplinger - Fri, Feb 5, 2016 4:30 PM EST
Kiplinger's latest forecast on unemployment.
- Overseas Woes, Strong Dollar Boost U.S. Trade Deficit @ Kiplinger - Fri, Feb 5, 2016 2:40 PM EST
Kiplinger's latest forecast on the direction of the trade deficit.
- 5 Ways to Invest in Emerging Markets While They're Cheap @ Kiplinger - Fri, Feb 5, 2016 2:20 PM EST
The stocks may not have hit bottom, but long-term investors shouldn't pass up opportunities to buy when they're on sale.
- More Near-Term Price Declines for Oil Likely @ Kiplinger - Fri, Feb 5, 2016 2:00 PM EST
Kiplinger's latest forecast on the direction of energy prices.
- Worst State for Retirement When It Comes to Taxes @ Kiplinger - Fri, Feb 5, 2016 12:20 PM EST
The Green Mountain State's tax bite will leave many retirees seeing red.
- Can You Take a Tax Break for Going Gluten-Free? @ Kiplinger - Fri, Feb 5, 2016 9:50 AM EST
You may be able to write off the costs of your special diet if you have celiac disease.
- Apple's Stock Is Becoming Too Cheap to Ignore @ Kiplinger - Fri, Feb 5, 2016 9:10 AM EST
With a low valuation, a ridiculously rich balance sheet and a new iPhone on the way, Apple shares should reward patient investors.
- 7 Energy Stocks to Buy While Oil Is Cheap @ Kiplinger - Fri, Feb 5, 2016 9:10 AM EST
Despite a recent rally to $32 per barrel, oil prices are still nearly $5 below where they stood at the end of 2015. Although the price of oil could dip into the low $20s, it isn't likely to stay there for long. Exxon, the supertanker of energy stocks, earns money from both oil-and-gas production and refining and gas …
- 50 Great Places to Retire Across the U.S. @ Kiplinger - Fri, Feb 5, 2016 9:10 AM EST
Picking the best place to retire isn't easy. Retirement desires run the gamut, from beach villas to big-city condos, from lakeside cabins to wine-country retreats. In a bid to offer something for everyone, ...
- 6 Worst Vanguard Funds to Put Your Money in Now Kiplinger - Fri, Feb 5, 2016 8:40 AM EST
Vanguard is best known for ultralow fees and its many index funds. But the Malvern, Pa., firm sponsors 70 actively managed funds, too. Some are solid, including Vanguard Dividend Growth (symbol VDIGX ), ...
- 10 Dying Professions Job Hunters Should Avoid @ Kiplinger - Fri, Feb 5, 2016 8:40 AM EST
The U.S. job market is steadily improving, yet many Americans are still struggling to get hired. And if they work in dying professions, that may be the case not only today but also in the years ahead. ...
- 15 Worst States for Taxes on Retirees @ Kiplinger - Fri, Feb 5, 2016 8:40 AM EST
Retirees have special concerns when evaluating state tax policies: Are Social Security benefits taxed? Does the state impose its own estate tax? Are there property tax breaks for seniors? The answers can ...
- 4 Ways to Save on Gym Memberships @ Kiplinger - Fri, Feb 5, 2016 8:01 AM EST
Advice on how to ensure you are choosing the right facility.
- How to Get the Best Deal on a New Car in 2016 @ Kiplinger - Fri, Feb 5, 2016 8:01 AM EST
Whether you're buying a hot new crossover or a serviceable sedan, our strategies will help you trim the sticker price.
- The Most-Overlooked Tax Breaks for the Newly Retired Kiplinger - Thu, Feb 4, 2016 10:42 AM EST
Being alert to the rolling changes that come at various life stages is the key to holding down your tax bill to the legal minimum. When you turn 65, the IRS offers a gift in the form of a bigger standard deduction. For 2015 returns, for example, a single 64-year-old gets a standard deduction of $6,300 (it will be the …
- How to Make Your Retirement Nest Egg Last Forever @ Kiplinger - Thu, Feb 4, 2016 10:40 AM EST
Take these steps to avoid outliving your savings when you retire.
- 6 Savings Tips for Millennials Who Want to Retire Rich Kiplinger - Thu, Feb 4, 2016 10:00 AM EST
Take advantage of the decades you have before retirement to establish good savings habits and benefit from the magic of compounding.
- How to Invest for the Coming Bear Market @ Kiplinger - Thu, Feb 4, 2016 9:20 AM EST
As the correction intensifies, it's time to start planning ways to cash in on the growing abundance of bargains.
- 7 Cash-Rich Stocks to Buy Now @ Kiplinger - Thu, Feb 4, 2016 9:10 AM EST
Companies loaded with the green stuff can provide smoother sailing in a turbulent global economy.
- 9 Great Vanguard Funds for Retirement Savers Kiplinger - Thu, Feb 4, 2016 9:00 AM EST
Vanguard is best known for low-cost mutual funds, but its exchange-traded funds may be a better bet. Vanguard's 52 ETFs track the same benchmarks as its passively managed index mutual funds, and in some ...
- 6 Keys to True Financial Independence @ Kiplinger - Thu, Feb 4, 2016 8:01 AM EST
Having peace of mind when it comes to your money depends on much more than your net worth.
- Options Still Available for Couples to Boost Social Security Benefits @ Kiplinger - Wed, Feb 3, 2016 2:50 PM EST
Even as some popular strategies phase out, coordinating claims remains a critical move to maximize payouts.
- Guide to Protecting Yourself from 5 Types of Identity Theft @ Kiplinger - Wed, Feb 3, 2016 1:30 PM EST
Data breaches are now as inevitable as death and taxes, and they can wreak havoc on your finances.
- What You Must Know About Paying Off Your Mortgage @ Kiplinger - Wed, Feb 3, 2016 1:20 PM EST
Your last mortgage payment is in sight. Now what?
- Plan to Pay Taxes on Social Security @ Kiplinger - Wed, Feb 3, 2016 1:20 PM EST
Depending on your income, you may owe tax on as much as 85% of your Social Security benefits.
- Get Ahead of Rising Interest Rates @ Kiplinger - Wed, Feb 3, 2016 1:10 PM EST
It's time for savers and borrowers to rethink their strategies.
- The Age Cutoff for IRA Contributions @ Kiplinger - Wed, Feb 3, 2016 1:10 PM EST
In the year you turn 70½, you're no longer allowed to stash more money in your traditional IRA.
- Bear Market? I See a Bull Market for the Next 15-20 Years @ Kiplinger - Wed, Feb 3, 2016 12:20 PM EST
Here's what a long view of the direction of markets shows us.
- When Will I Get My Tax Refund From the IRS? Kiplinger - Wed, Feb 3, 2016 10:01 AM EST
It usually takes three weeks or less to get your refund, and you can use the IRS tracking tool to check the status.
- 3 Cars You Can Drive Forever @ Kiplinger - Wed, Feb 3, 2016 9:40 AM EST
These surprisingly reliable vehicles just keep going and going and going.
- How the Rich Can Save $100,000 Tax-Free for Retirement Every Year @ Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 2, 2016 4:30 PM EST
Pensions are dead, right? Not if you are self-employed with cash to sock away.
- 7 Best ETFs for 2016 @ Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 2, 2016 11:50 AM EST
My selections are designed to capitalize on opportunities I see in the coming year.
- 6 Best Stock Funds for 2016 @ Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 2, 2016 10:40 AM EST
As the bull market enters its seventh year, I continue to favor growth over value.
- 10 Reasons You Will Never Get Out of Debt @ Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 2, 2016 8:50 AM EST
Jeff Rose, a certified financial planner and founder of the Good Financial Cents blog, says that when new clients come to him struggling with their finances, many have no idea how much debt they actually have. Start by making a list of your debts and choosing one debt to pay off first--preferably the one with the highest …
- More Gains for Home Sales Despite Rising Rates @ Kiplinger - Mon, Feb 1, 2016 4:00 PM EST
Kiplinger's latest forecast on housing starts and home sales.
- 3 Vanguard Funds on the Comeback Trail @ Kiplinger - Mon, Feb 1, 2016 12:20 PM EST
Once mediocre, they've turned into solid performers, thanks to new managers or shifts in market sentiment.
- 7 Stock Picks to Beat the Market in 2016 @ Kiplinger - Mon, Feb 1, 2016 11:10 AM EST
We got some help from Morningstar, whose calls don't draw a lot of attention--but do outperform.
- Retirement Plan Contribution Limits for 2016 @ Kiplinger - Mon, Feb 1, 2016 10:10 AM EST
Low inflation is keeping the contribution and income limits mostly the same as in 2015.
- 3 Dying Professions to Avoid @ Kiplinger - Mon, Feb 1, 2016 9:50 AM EST
Your employment prospects won't be rosy if you pursue one of these fields.
- Which States Tax Social Security Retirement Benefits? @ Kiplinger - Mon, Feb 1, 2016 9:40 AM EST
Your monthly check could take a hit if you live in one of these 13 states.