- 6 Reasons You Hate Your Cable Company @ Kiplinger - 12 hours ago
There's a very good chance that you and your cable company aren't on good terms. According to a recent survey by cg42, a business consulting group, cable providers experience the worst level of consumer frustration of all industries in the U.S. - even worse than banking. The reasons for frustration are many, including …
- 7 Things You Didn't Know About Paying Off Student Loans @ Kiplinger - 13 hours ago
There are a number of ways to pay down your loans. Here are a few things -- good and bad -- about the process that you might not have known.
- 6 Costly Airline Fees -- and How to Avoid Them @ Kiplinger - 13 hours ago
Use these strategies so you don't have to pay extra when you fly.
- How to Budget for Unexpected Costs in Retirement @ Kiplinger - Fri, Jul 18, 2014 1:30 PM EDT
Planning for surprise expenses can keep your retirement on track.
- Retire to a College Town @ Kiplinger - Fri, Jul 18, 2014 1:16 PM EDT
Our top ten towns offer intellectual sizzle, cultural spice and plenty of team spirit.
- The Price of Staying Home With Kids @ Kiplinger - Fri, Jul 18, 2014 8:07 AM EDT
Trading a job to raise kids may cost more than you think.
- Should You Buy Into the Alibaba IPO? @ Kiplinger - Thu, Jul 17, 2014 2:40 PM EDT
Even though the stock's offering price is still unknown, a lot of the hype surrounding China's leading e-commerce firm is justified.
- 10 Great Dividend Stocks to Own in Retirement @ Kiplinger - Thu, Jul 17, 2014 2:40 PM EDT
Age and circumstance matter when it comes to building an ideal portfolio. Whereas youngsters have both the time and the wages to make up for losses in the stock market, retirees need income and stability ...
- Good Reasons to Open Separate College Savings Plans for Your Kids @ Kiplinger - Thu, Jul 17, 2014 1:30 PM EDT
You can target the investments for each child's time frame, and you may get a bigger tax break.
- 10 Ways to Save on Back-to-School Shopping @ Kiplinger - Thu, Jul 17, 2014 11:20 AM EDT
Use these strategies to cut the cost of clothing, electronics and school supplies.
- Money Advice for Families From Around the Web @ Kiplinger - Wed, Jul 16, 2014 12:20 PM EDT
A look at tips from personal finance bloggers about budget-friendly ways to keep kids entertained during the summer.
- Fix-It Services Help Consumers Fight Back @ Kiplinger - Wed, Jul 16, 2014 8:07 AM EDT
But you may do better on your own.
- How to Save Money on Braces @ Kiplinger - Tue, Jul 15, 2014 4:40 PM EDT
These seven strategies can help lower the cost of orthodontic care.
- Tapping an IRA for a Home Down Payment @ Kiplinger - Tue, Jul 15, 2014 3:30 PM EDT
If you're a first-time home buyer, Uncle Sam gives you a break on penalties for withdrawals used to buy or build a home.
- 9 Top Free Sites for Income Investors @ Kiplinger - Tue, Jul 15, 2014 12:20 PM EDT
Three years ago, Kiplinger's turned to longtime investment writer and in-house income guru Jeff Kosnett to a launch a newsletter designed to steer income-starved readers to the best investments for dependable, spendable income. Of course, he spends a lot of time interviewing money managers and mutual fund masterminds, …
- Wages to Rise -- More for Some than Others @ Kiplinger - Tue, Jul 15, 2014 10:10 AM EDT
After years of little or no income growth, wage gains are finally beginning to gather a bit of steam.
- More Power to Utility Stocks @ Kiplinger - Tue, Jul 15, 2014 8:07 AM EDT
For steady, albeit modest, growth and above-average dividend yields, it's still hard to top utilities.
- How to Increase Your Social Security Benefits @ Kiplinger - Mon, Jul 14, 2014 3:30 PM EDT
Waiting until after your full retirement age to claim benefits will boost your payouts.
- Houseboats for Every Budget @ Kiplinger - Mon, Jul 14, 2014 1:00 PM EDT
When summertime rolls around, people hit the water -- from swimming, sailing, and fishing to floating on a raft or in a canoe. For thousands of Americans, however, the water is their year-round home. Just ...
- 2014 Sales Tax Holidays for Back-to-School Shopping @ Kiplinger - Mon, Jul 14, 2014 10:40 AM EDT
You can shop tax-free for clothing, computers, school supplies and more on certain days in these 16 states.
- 6 ways to beat Amazon's prices Kiplinger - Mon, Jul 14, 2014 10:29 AM EDT
- Retirees, Get a Jump-Start on Your 2014 Tax Bill @ Kiplinger - Fri, Jul 11, 2014 3:00 PM EDT
By getting a head start on your 2014 tax planning, you're likely to find many strategies to shave your payments to Uncle Sam.
- A Top Fidelity Manager's Other Fund @ Kiplinger - Fri, Jul 11, 2014 1:50 PM EDT
John Roth, who runs Kip 25 member Fidelity New Millennium, is also chalking up solid numbers at Fidelity Mid-Cap Stock.
- 10 Great Work-at-Home Jobs @ Kiplinger - Fri, Jul 11, 2014 12:30 PM EDT
Work-at-home jobs promise big benefits: extra income, flexible hours and the enviable dress code of slippers and sweatpants. The trick, of course, is finding legitimate, well-paid positions because work-at-home ...
- 6 Things You Must Know About Timeshares @ Kiplinger - Fri, Jul 11, 2014 11:20 AM EDT
Tighter regulations and a wider choice of locations make buying in more attractive.
- High-Tech Cycling Gear @ Kiplinger - Fri, Jul 11, 2014 8:07 AM EDT
These gadgets can make your ride safer and more fun.
- Great places to retire overseas Kiplinger - Thu, Jul 10, 2014 12:22 PM EDT
- Social Security Earnings Test Ensnares a Spouse @ Kiplinger - Wed, Jul 9, 2014 1:00 PM EDT
The test can decrease family members' Social Security benefits based on your record.
- 12 Things You Should Buy Used @ Kiplinger - Wed, Jul 9, 2014 1:00 PM EDT
Think "used" for products that: There are many ways to find used items -- at consignment shops specializing in used items, at retailers selling both new and used wares, and from strangers at yard sales or online. One popular source for pre-owned products is the online classifieds site Craigslist.org.
- Financial Lessons From Around the Web @ Kiplinger - Wed, Jul 9, 2014 1:00 PM EDT
Tips from personal finance bloggers about setting financial priorities and achieving goals.
- Why You Should Avoid Most Bond Index Funds @ Kiplinger - Wed, Jul 9, 2014 10:20 AM EDT
Most of these funds are larded with securities issued by heavily indebted countries, including the U.S.
- Student Loan Rates Inch Up @ Kiplinger - Wed, Jul 9, 2014 8:07 AM EDT
But don't panic. The increase won't dent your budget much.
- Paying Long-Term-Care Premiums With HSA Money @ Kiplinger - Tue, Jul 8, 2014 5:20 PM EDT
The amount you can withdraw from a health savings account tax-free to pay premiums depends on your age.
- Ways to Get Free Ice Cream @ Kiplinger - Tue, Jul 8, 2014 3:10 PM EDT
Here's how you can treat yourself on a hot day -- or any day -- at no cost.
- Meet New Friends As a Solo Traveler @ Kiplinger - Tue, Jul 8, 2014 3:10 PM EDT
Traveling alone doesn't have to be a lonely experience.
- 20 ETF Picks to Fill the Gaps in Your Portfolio @ Kiplinger - Mon, Jul 7, 2014 10:38 AM EDT
We winnow down the thousand-plus offerings to find stock and bond funds that will help you meet your investing goals.
- When Inertia Pays Off @ Kiplinger - Mon, Jul 7, 2014 8:11 AM EDT
Many companies will raise your annual retirement contribution for you--no need to lift a finger.
- Dodging Airline Fees the Hard Way @ Kiplinger - Fri, Jul 4, 2014 8:07 AM EDT
Our travel writer faced the ultimate challenge: Fly Spirit Airlines without paying a single fee.
- Good Reasons to Buy a Deferred Income Annuity @ Kiplinger - Thu, Jul 3, 2014 4:40 PM EDT
It helps you protect against the risk of outliving your money in retirement.
- 5 Summer Scams to Avoid @ Kiplinger - Thu, Jul 3, 2014 3:30 PM EDT
The warmer weather offers fraudsters new opportunities to get people to part with their money or personal information.
- Financial Advice From the Founding Fathers @ Kiplinger - Thu, Jul 3, 2014 3:30 PM EDT
To prosper even more, consider what other founders of the United States of America had to say on the subject of personal finance. In honor of Independence Day, we present timeless personal finance wisdom from the Founding Fathers (and a Founding Mother), echoing much of our own advice. "All the perplexities, confusion …
- A Brief History of the Federal Gasoline Tax @ Kiplinger - Wed, Jul 2, 2014 4:20 PM EDT
The government has been taxing our fuel for over 80 years--and right from the get-go, the money was going to things other than roads and bridges.
- How Much Would a Gasoline Tax Increase Cost You? @ Kiplinger - Wed, Jul 2, 2014 4:20 PM EDT
More-efficient cars and crumbling infrastructure have run the Highway Trust Fund dry. A steep increase to the gas tax is one possibility to fill it again.
- 10 great college towns to retire to Kiplinger - Wed, Jul 2, 2014 3:43 PM EDT
- 9 Secrets to Better Credit @ Kiplinger - Wed, Jul 2, 2014 3:10 PM EDT
For example, being debt-free can result in a dismal credit score, and having high limits on your credit cards may boost your score despite the extra temptation to spend. Dozens of credit scores measure the activity on your credit reports, and everyone from your cable company to your employer may be checking up on your …
- Student-Loan Debt Advice From Around the Web @ Kiplinger - Wed, Jul 2, 2014 3:10 PM EDT
Tips from personal finance bloggers about how to avoid racking up too much debt in school and how to pay off what you owe.
- Should New Residents Contribute Equally to Community Funds? @ Kiplinger - Wed, Jul 2, 2014 3:10 PM EDT
Acknowledging building workers' helpfulness is always appropriate and welcome. But should all residents pay the same amount?
- Our Top Places to Retire @ Kiplinger - Tue, Jul 1, 2014 1:30 PM EDT
We focus on college towns with robust arts and sports scenes.
- Best and Worst Buys of July 2014 @ Kiplinger - Tue, Jul 1, 2014 11:30 AM EDT
You'll find tools, summer clothing and outdoor items on sale this month.
- Great College Towns to Retire to @ Kiplinger - Tue, Jul 1, 2014 9:20 AM EDT
Most have home prices close to the national median (some far below), active restaurant scenes, and access to good health care. Faulkner: William Faulkner wrote his most famous novels and stories while living here, and his influence--and the presence of other writers, including John Grisham, as well as Square Books, the …