- 8 Dow Dividend Stocks You Can Buy and Hold Forever @ Kiplinger - 59 minutes ago
The 30 companies that make up the Dow Jones Industrial Average are household names. All 30 pay dividends, too, and that steady income can beef up total returns during markets both good and bad. Any stock carries risk, of course, but it's fair to say that as a group Dow stocks are among the more reliable names that investors …
- The 10 Best Oil Stocks to Buy Now for Big-Time Gains @ Kiplinger - 1 hour 9 minutes ago
CellsDeDells via Wikimedia Oil stocks are riding high so far in 2017. After spending much of 2016 in the proverbial toilet, the tail end of the year was met with better times. The reason? Some big-time ...
- Test Your Retirement IQ @ Kiplinger - 1 hour 29 minutes ago
The decisions you make leading up to retirement, including how much to save, how to allocate your investments, when to take Social Security and how to anticipate your retirement expenses can make a big difference in your old age. Once you're in retirement, you'll need smart strategies for taking withdrawals and investing …
- The 2 Massive 401(k) Mistakes Business Owners Make, and How to Avoid Them @ Kiplinger - 2 hours 29 minutes ago
Offering a 401(k) is a great benefit for your employees, but did you know you could be held personable liable for your company's plan?
- Which States Tax My Social Security Retirement Benefits? @ Kiplinger - 2 hours 29 minutes ago
Your monthly check could take a hit if you live in one of these 13 states.
- Best Vanguard Funds for Your Retirement Nest Egg @ Kiplinger - 2 hours 39 minutes ago
Vanguard is the biggest fund company in the land, with more than $3 trillion in assets. Thirty-four Vanguard funds appear on a list of the 105 most popular mutual funds in employer-sponsored retirement savings plans. No other fund company comes close.
- 7 Best Exchange-Traded Funds for Dividends @ Kiplinger - 2 hours 59 minutes ago
Thinkstock On the surface, finding a great dividend-stock fund should be a snap. The problem, though, is that, like snowflakes, no two dividend-stock funds are the same. But that didn't deter us from our ...
- 3 Dow Jones Stocks That Are Weighing You Down @ Kiplinger - 3 hours ago
The Dow is done flirting with 20,000. Today, we're going to look at three Dow Jones stocks that, despite whatever investor sentiment might otherwise suggest, have lagged the broader markets for some time now and don't have the catalysts to change their fates. Here's a look at three Dow Jones stocks that will continue …
- Snap IPO: The Next Facebook or Another Twitter? @ Kiplinger - 3 hours ago
Snapchat's parent is going public, but there's no guarantee the stock will be as popular as the smartphone app.
- How to Live for Today and Still Save for Tomorrow @ Kiplinger - 4 hours ago
Whether you dream of traveling around the world or buying a yacht, here are five steps that can help make it happen.
- Expats Find a Home for Their Money at State Department's Credit Union @ Kiplinger - 4 hours ago
The State Department's credit union opens its doors to Americans overseas.
- Small-Business Success Story: AcousticSheep Headphones @ Kiplinger - 4 hours ago
They're soft and lightweight, and they let you rest easy on your pillow.
- Retirees, Join a Nonprofit as an Encore Career @ Kiplinger - 19 hours ago
Many baby boomers with long careers in the business world are now eyeing work in the nonprofit sector.
- 6 Vanguard Index Funds to Buy and Hold Forever Kiplinger - Wed, Feb 22, 2017 11:10 AM EST
Just six index funds from fund giant Vanguard can boost your returns. But, which six?
- 7 Best Mutual Funds to Collect Stock Dividends @ Kiplinger - Wed, Feb 22, 2017 11:00 AM EST
Some things never seem to grow old, including the love investors have for dividend stocks. There's a good reason we love dividends. Here are our favorite dividend-stock mutual funds--two index funds and five actively managed portfolios.
- How Nervous Investors Should Play the Trump Rally Kiplinger - Wed, Feb 22, 2017 10:50 AM EST
Lock in some profits and rebalance your portfolio, but don't go overboard.
- Boomers Going Out with a Bang: A Historic Transfer of Wealth @ Kiplinger - Wed, Feb 22, 2017 9:00 AM EST
They've amassed $30 trillion in assets to pass down, but many don't have plans in place to safeguard their legacies. Here are five things they should do to cover their bases.
- 10 Secrets to Shopping at the Apple Store @ Kiplinger - Wed, Feb 22, 2017 8:50 AM EST
Enter an Apple Store and you'll usually be intercepted by an iPad-armed employee. You'll be asked what brings you to the store, and your first name will be punched into the iPad to await the second intercept of an Apple "specialist." Though there are many around - you can tell by the sport shirts - you may wait a few minutes …
- 16 Nice-Try Tax Breaks Rejected by the IRS Kiplinger - Wed, Feb 22, 2017 8:50 AM EST
Over the years, taxpayers have concocted a lot of zany arguments to justify their tax breaks. A busy tax preparer ran her business from her home. On her own return, she deducted the cost of this rest and relaxation as a business expense.
- 25 Dividend Stocks You Can Buy and Hold Forever Kiplinger - Wed, Feb 22, 2017 8:50 AM EST
Finding a company with a long track record of consistent dividend payments is only part of the winning formula for investing in dividend stocks. It's an opportune time to target dividend growers, according to Heidi Richardson, an investment strategist for BlackRock. Identify reliable dividend stocks by concentrating on …
- How Should I Handle a Tax Windfall That I Don't Want? @ Kiplinger - Wed, Feb 22, 2017 8:01 AM EST
If getting a huge windfall from impending tax cuts has you feeling guilty, here are some options.
- The Best Investment You Can Make Isn't in Your 401(k) @ Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 6:10 PM EST
Investing in yourself, through classes, career building, networking and just plain taking care of yourself, can pay off more in the long run than anything else.
- 5 Common Roadblocks That Can Shut Down Retirement Success @ Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 5:40 PM EST
When it comes to preparing for retirement, the devil is in the details. Just one slip-up can derail your plans.
- How to Save Big on Taxes in 'The Goldilocks Zone' @ Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 5:30 PM EST
The five-year period from age 65 to 70 offers a unique opportunity for many to potentially save tens of thousands through Roth IRA conversions.
- 3 Stocks That Will Benefit From an Aging America @ Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 5:30 PM EST
Amazon, Home Depot and Apple all have long-term advantages with Baby Boomers. Savvy investors, take note.
- Inflation Gets a Little Stronger @ Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 3:20 PM EST
- 6 Steps To Help Make Sure You Don't Outlive Your Money @ Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 2:40 PM EST
Figuring out how much you need to save in order to comfortably retire can be challenging, but this plan makes it easier.
- 8 Ways a Side Hustle Can Advance Your Career @ Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 2:40 PM EST
How you can do what you love and see it pay off in your main career.
- Oil Prices Change Little Despite OPEC Cuts @ Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 2:00 PM EST
- 6 Tax-Efficient Strategies to Keep More of Your Money in Retirement @ Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 1:10 PM EST
Forget investment returns (or at least quit obsessing). To protect your future, you really need to devise a tax-smart plan. Here are six often-overlooked ideas.
- Should You Fast-Forward to a 'NextGen' Adviser? @ Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 1:10 PM EST
If your grandfather's financial adviser doesn't feel like a good fit, it might be time to go shopping.
- 10 Reasons You Will Never Make $1 Million Dollars Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 12:50 PM EST
It may sound like a simple strategy, but the fact that the vast majority of Americans fall short of millionaire status proves that it's easier said than done. Spending more than you earn can put you in a dangerous hole of debt.
- 17 Tax Breaks You Won't Believe Are Real Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 11:30 AM EST
Okay, admit it: As you've struggled with your tax return, trying to come up with some extra deductions to pump up your refund or reduce what you owe, you've taken a few flights of fancy. "Can I count the wedding gift for my boss's daughter as an employee business expense?" Come on! On the other hand, your fellow taxpayers …
- 5 Safe Dividend Stocks to Buy for Retirement Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 10:50 AM EST
With President Donald Trump into his first month in office, it's time for investors to focus on how to navigate what likely will be a bumpy investing road -- certainly this year, but potentially for years to come. What always will matter for investors -- particularly those planning for retirement -- is building a portfolio …
- 3 Reasons Warren Buffett Is Loading Up on Apple Stock @ Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 10:10 AM EST
- The 10 Best Stocks to Buy and Hold Forever @ Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 9:10 AM EST
Depending on who you ask, the average holding period for a stock has been estimated as anywhere from 11 seconds to five days. Of the 12 stocks that made up the original Dow Jones Industrial Average in 1896, the General Electric Company (GE) is the only one still in the index. If a stock is healthy, growing and ideally …
- 3 Reasons Warren Buffett Is Dumping Walmart Stock @ Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 9:10 AM EST
Berkshire Hathaway has all but abandoned its stake in the world's largest retailer.
- Why You Need Disability Coverage @ Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 8:01 AM EST
A group policy from work probably won't replace enough of your income to meet your needs.
- How to Give Kids Stocks in a Meaningful, Fun Way @ Kiplinger - Mon, Feb 20, 2017 10:10 AM EST
Buying stock in companies with a direct impact on a child's life creates a portfolio of memories ... and teachable moments.
- What to Do When Your Broker Goes Rogue @ Kiplinger - Mon, Feb 20, 2017 8:01 AM EST
If contacting the broker's superiors doesn't produce resolution, you could try escalating your complaint to FINRA or the SEC.
- 12 Reasons You Will Go Broke in Retirement Kiplinger - Sun, Feb 19, 2017 12:26 PM EST
Retirement is a major milestone that brings many life changes. According to the Transamerica Center for Retirement Studies, the most frequently reported retirement worry is outliving savings and investments. Across all ages, 51% of respondents cited this concern, and 41% of retirees claim the same fear.
- Test Your Knowledge of Everyday Actions That Affect Your Credit Score @ Kiplinger - Sun, Feb 19, 2017 10:35 AM EST
Your credit score is a key indicator of your financial well-being and of the risk you pose to lenders. Along with making moves to keep your credit score high, you'll want to avoid actions that could set it back. Test your knowledge of how to protect your credit score from taking a hit.
- Smart Retirement Strategies for Women Kiplinger - Sun, Feb 19, 2017 10:21 AM EST
Women and men have the same opportunities for saving, investing and borrowing, the same investments, and they are subject to the same rules. This divide is particularly striking when it comes to preparing for retirement. Because women have longer life expectancies, they will probably have to provide for themselves in …
- Overlooked Tax Deductions Kiplinger - Sun, Feb 19, 2017 10:18 AM EST
After years of uncertainty, in 2015 Congress finally made this break "permanent." This is particularly important to you if you live in a state that does not impose a state income tax. Congress offers itemizers the choice between deducting the state income taxes or state sales taxes they paid. In some cases, even filers …
- Colleges With Lowest Average Graduating Debt, 2017 @ Kiplinger - Sun, Feb 19, 2017 10:13 AM EST
iStockphoto The cost of a college education continues to rise. In 2016-17 the average sticker price for an in-state, four-year public institution, including tuition, fees, and room and board, rose 2.7%, ...
- Best College Values, 2017 @ Kiplinger - Sun, Feb 19, 2017 10:11 AM EST
iStockphoto To help you sort through your college choices, we present the creme de la creme of our annual list of best value colleges and universities . These 10 schools are the top-scoring schools in ...
- Guide to 7 Top Tax Software Programs, 2017 @ Kiplinger - Sun, Feb 19, 2017 10:09 AM EST
The tax software business is getting as crowded as the cereal aisle at your local grocery store, and that's good news for do-it-yourself taxpayers. The best tax software for you will depend on your sources of income, your need for help, and your budget. For this year's tax software review, we gave our hypothetical taxpayer …
- 7 Ways to File Your Taxes for Free Kiplinger - Sun, Feb 19, 2017 10:06 AM EST
Most do-it-yourself filers prepare their own taxes for one and only one reason: They want to save money. You might be forced to upgrade to another product midway through your tax return or to pay extra to file your state tax return. Fortunately, the tax software business is fiercely competitive, and in an effort to attract …
- 8 Things Kohl's Shoppers Need to Know @ Kiplinger - Sun, Feb 19, 2017 10:01 AM EST
Chances are, if you're not a Kohl's fan, you know someone who is - and given the opening that someone will shower you with stories of saving big. You'll find a typical Kohl's - there are 1,164 stores in 49 states - in a standalone location in a well-to-do shopping center. If it strikes you as puzzling that Kohl's has …
- Tax Forms That Can Accidentally Increase Your Tax Bill Kiplinger - Sun, Feb 19, 2017 9:59 AM EST
2. Thinking you have to include every dime reported on the 1099s to the IRS. Lots of the dollars reported on 1099s are tax-free. The IRS gets a copy of every 1099 information return, so it's important to get this right.