- 25 Dividend Stocks You Can Buy and Hold Forever Kiplinger - Fri, Feb 24, 2017 11:00 AM EST
Finding a company with a long track record of consistent dividend payments is only part of the winning formula for investing in dividend stocks. It's an opportune time to target dividend growers, according to Heidi Richardson, an investment strategist for BlackRock. Identify reliable dividend stocks by concentrating on …
- 5 States Where Taxes Are Going Up in 2017 Kiplinger - Fri, Feb 24, 2017 9:30 AM EST
Although President-elect Donald Trump has pledged to cut federal taxes, state taxes are rising across the U.S. as financially strapped states search for funds to repair deteriorating infrastructure and close widening budget shortfalls. Alaska currently has no income or state sales tax. Raising existing state taxes or …
- 7 Ultra-Cheap Value Stocks to Buy Now @ Kiplinger - Fri, Feb 24, 2017 9:20 AM EST
What makes value stocks ... well, values? When is a cheap stock actually inexpensive ... and when is it just plain ol' cheap? When a company has size and real earnings, and when its area of business is just out of fashion, even a great company's stock can get tossed into the bargain bin. One of the most basic metrics …
- 10 Kirkland Products You Should Buy at Costco Kiplinger - Fri, Feb 24, 2017 9:10 AM EST
In fact, high marks from readers on the quality of Costco's store brands helped the bulk retailer place sixth in Consumer Reports' supermarkets ratings, behind Market Basket, Fareway, Trader Joe's, Publix and, the No. 1 chain, Wegmans. Costco has turned on its head the notion that a store brand is a notch below a national …
- Do Your Homework and Get a Written Retirement Plan @ Kiplinger - Fri, Feb 24, 2017 8:10 AM EST
Gathering up all the information you need to hammer out a solid plan for your future is tedious, but it will ease your mind. Here are eight questions to consider.
- Everything You Need to Know about RMDs @ Kiplinger - Fri, Feb 24, 2017 8:01 AM EST
If you're baffled by required minimum distributions, you could be risking a big tax penalty, so take a moment to review the basic rules.
- Travel Trend: Cruises Expanding Their Fitness, Wellness Programs @ Kiplinger - Fri, Feb 24, 2017 8:01 AM EST
Your exercise regimen can stay in ship-shape as you cruise the seas, rivers.
- It Just Got a Bit Easier to Buy a Higher-Priced Home @ Kiplinger - Fri, Feb 24, 2017 8:01 AM EST
The limits on conforming home loans have risen for the first time in 10 years.
- 5 Money Conversations Every Couple Should Have @ Kiplinger - Thu, Feb 23, 2017 5:50 PM EST
How talking about family finances may make your relationship pay.
- 8 Secrets to Shopping at Kohl's @ Kiplinger - Thu, Feb 23, 2017 3:50 PM EST
Chances are, if you're not a Kohl's fan, you know someone who is - and given the opening that someone will shower you with stories of saving big. You'll find a typical Kohl's - there are 1,164 stores in 49 states - in a standalone location in a well-to-do shopping center. If it strikes you as puzzling that Kohl's has …
- Snap IPO: The Next Facebook or Another Twitter? @ Kiplinger - Thu, Feb 23, 2017 3:40 PM EST
Snapchat's parent is going public, but there's no guarantee the stock will be as popular as the smartphone app.
- Guide to 7 Top Tax Software Programs, 2017 @ Kiplinger - Thu, Feb 23, 2017 3:20 PM EST
The tax software business is getting as crowded as the cereal aisle at your local grocery store, and that's good news for do-it-yourself taxpayers. The best tax software for you will depend on your sources of income, your need for help, and your budget. For this year's tax software review, we gave our hypothetical taxpayer …
- Why Trump's Move to Dismantle Rule Protecting Investors Isn't a Bad Idea @ Kiplinger - Thu, Feb 23, 2017 2:50 PM EST
Don't get me wrong: The fiduciary standard is laudable, but the Department of Labor's rule is flawed. We can do better.
- A Creative Way to Fund Your Entrepreneurial Passion: Your 401(k) @ Kiplinger - Thu, Feb 23, 2017 2:40 PM EST
Never heard of a "rollover as business startup" transaction? It carries risks, but also important advantages for those seeking second acts in their careers.
- The Real Cost of the Fiduciary Rule @ Kiplinger - Thu, Feb 23, 2017 2:40 PM EST
Can fee-based financial advisers always do better for their clients than commission-based professionals? It depends.
- 5 Signs You Need Money Counseling, Not Marriage Counseling @ Kiplinger - Thu, Feb 23, 2017 2:30 PM EST
Joint account or separate accounts? Does your partner handle the finances? How couples deal with money can either bring them together or push them apart.
- 3 Stocks That Will Benefit From an Aging America @ Kiplinger - Thu, Feb 23, 2017 2:30 PM EST
Amazon, Home Depot and Apple all have long-term advantages with Baby Boomers. Savvy investors, take note.
- Best Things to Buy at Aldi @ Kiplinger - Thu, Feb 23, 2017 1:00 PM EST
The discount grocer beat competitors' prices on these four supermarket staples.
- Best Kirkland Products to Buy at Costco @ Kiplinger - Thu, Feb 23, 2017 12:50 PM EST
Many of the warehouse club's store-branded items get high marks for quality and value.
- 8 Dow Dividend Stocks You Can Buy and Hold Forever @ Kiplinger - Thu, Feb 23, 2017 11:40 AM EST
The 30 companies that make up the Dow Jones Industrial Average are household names. All 30 pay dividends, too, and that steady income can beef up total returns during markets both good and bad. Any stock carries risk, of course, but it's fair to say that as a group Dow stocks are among the more reliable names that investors …
- The 10 Best Oil Stocks to Buy Now for Big-Time Gains @ Kiplinger - Thu, Feb 23, 2017 11:30 AM EST
CellsDeDells via Wikimedia Oil stocks are riding high so far in 2017. After spending much of 2016 in the proverbial toilet, the tail end of the year was met with better times. The reason? Some big-time ...
- Test Your Retirement IQ @ Kiplinger - Thu, Feb 23, 2017 11:10 AM EST
The decisions you make leading up to retirement, including how much to save, how to allocate your investments, when to take Social Security and how to anticipate your retirement expenses can make a big difference in your old age. Once you're in retirement, you'll need smart strategies for taking withdrawals and investing …
- The 2 Massive 401(k) Mistakes Business Owners Make, and How to Avoid Them @ Kiplinger - Thu, Feb 23, 2017 10:10 AM EST
Offering a 401(k) is a great benefit for your employees, but did you know you could be held personable liable for your company's plan?
- Which States Tax My Social Security Retirement Benefits? @ Kiplinger - Thu, Feb 23, 2017 10:10 AM EST
Your monthly check could take a hit if you live in one of these 13 states.
- Best Vanguard Funds for Your Retirement Nest Egg @ Kiplinger - Thu, Feb 23, 2017 10:00 AM EST
Vanguard is the biggest fund company in the land, with more than $3 trillion in assets. Thirty-four Vanguard funds appear on a list of the 105 most popular mutual funds in employer-sponsored retirement savings plans. No other fund company comes close.
- 7 Best Exchange-Traded Funds for Dividends @ Kiplinger - Thu, Feb 23, 2017 9:40 AM EST
Thinkstock On the surface, finding a great dividend-stock fund should be a snap. The problem, though, is that, like snowflakes, no two dividend-stock funds are the same. But that didn't deter us from our ...
- 3 Dow Jones Stocks That Are Weighing You Down @ Kiplinger - Thu, Feb 23, 2017 9:10 AM EST
The Dow is done flirting with 20,000. Today, we're going to look at three Dow Jones stocks that, despite whatever investor sentiment might otherwise suggest, have lagged the broader markets for some time now and don't have the catalysts to change their fates. Here's a look at three Dow Jones stocks that will continue …
- How to Live for Today and Still Save for Tomorrow @ Kiplinger - Thu, Feb 23, 2017 8:30 AM EST
Whether you dream of traveling around the world or buying a yacht, here are five steps that can help make it happen.
- Expats Find a Home for Their Money at State Department's Credit Union @ Kiplinger - Thu, Feb 23, 2017 8:01 AM EST
The State Department's credit union opens its doors to Americans overseas.
- Small-Business Success Story: AcousticSheep Headphones @ Kiplinger - Thu, Feb 23, 2017 8:01 AM EST
They're soft and lightweight, and they let you rest easy on your pillow.
- Retirees, Join a Nonprofit as an Encore Career @ Kiplinger - Wed, Feb 22, 2017 5:20 PM EST
Many baby boomers with long careers in the business world are now eyeing work in the nonprofit sector.
- 6 Vanguard Index Funds to Buy and Hold Forever Kiplinger - Wed, Feb 22, 2017 11:10 AM EST
Just six index funds from fund giant Vanguard can boost your returns. But, which six?
- 7 Best Mutual Funds to Collect Stock Dividends @ Kiplinger - Wed, Feb 22, 2017 11:00 AM EST
Some things never seem to grow old, including the love investors have for dividend stocks. There's a good reason we love dividends. Here are our favorite dividend-stock mutual funds--two index funds and five actively managed portfolios.
- How Nervous Investors Should Play the Trump Rally Kiplinger - Wed, Feb 22, 2017 10:50 AM EST
Lock in some profits and rebalance your portfolio, but don't go overboard.
- Boomers Going Out with a Bang: A Historic Transfer of Wealth @ Kiplinger - Wed, Feb 22, 2017 9:00 AM EST
They've amassed $30 trillion in assets to pass down, but many don't have plans in place to safeguard their legacies. Here are five things they should do to cover their bases.
- 10 Secrets to Shopping at the Apple Store @ Kiplinger - Wed, Feb 22, 2017 8:50 AM EST
Enter an Apple Store and you'll usually be intercepted by an iPad-armed employee. You'll be asked what brings you to the store, and your first name will be punched into the iPad to await the second intercept of an Apple "specialist." Though there are many around - you can tell by the sport shirts - you may wait a few minutes …
- 16 Nice-Try Tax Breaks Rejected by the IRS Kiplinger - Wed, Feb 22, 2017 8:50 AM EST
Over the years, taxpayers have concocted a lot of zany arguments to justify their tax breaks. A busy tax preparer ran her business from her home. On her own return, she deducted the cost of this rest and relaxation as a business expense.
- How Should I Handle a Tax Windfall That I Don't Want? @ Kiplinger - Wed, Feb 22, 2017 8:01 AM EST
If getting a huge windfall from impending tax cuts has you feeling guilty, here are some options.
- The Best Investment You Can Make Isn't in Your 401(k) @ Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 6:10 PM EST
Investing in yourself, through classes, career building, networking and just plain taking care of yourself, can pay off more in the long run than anything else.
- 5 Common Roadblocks That Can Shut Down Retirement Success @ Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 5:40 PM EST
When it comes to preparing for retirement, the devil is in the details. Just one slip-up can derail your plans.
- How to Save Big on Taxes in 'The Goldilocks Zone' @ Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 5:30 PM EST
The five-year period from age 65 to 70 offers a unique opportunity for many to potentially save tens of thousands through Roth IRA conversions.
- Inflation Gets a Little Stronger @ Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 3:20 PM EST
- 6 Steps To Help Make Sure You Don't Outlive Your Money @ Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 2:40 PM EST
Figuring out how much you need to save in order to comfortably retire can be challenging, but this plan makes it easier.
- 8 Ways a Side Hustle Can Advance Your Career @ Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 2:40 PM EST
How you can do what you love and see it pay off in your main career.
- Oil Prices Change Little Despite OPEC Cuts @ Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 2:00 PM EST
- 6 Tax-Efficient Strategies to Keep More of Your Money in Retirement @ Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 1:10 PM EST
Forget investment returns (or at least quit obsessing). To protect your future, you really need to devise a tax-smart plan. Here are six often-overlooked ideas.
- Should You Fast-Forward to a 'NextGen' Adviser? @ Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 1:10 PM EST
If your grandfather's financial adviser doesn't feel like a good fit, it might be time to go shopping.
- 10 Reasons You Will Never Make $1 Million Dollars Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 12:50 PM EST
It may sound like a simple strategy, but the fact that the vast majority of Americans fall short of millionaire status proves that it's easier said than done. Spending more than you earn can put you in a dangerous hole of debt.
- 17 Tax Breaks You Won't Believe Are Real Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 11:30 AM EST
Okay, admit it: As you've struggled with your tax return, trying to come up with some extra deductions to pump up your refund or reduce what you owe, you've taken a few flights of fancy. "Can I count the wedding gift for my boss's daughter as an employee business expense?" Come on! On the other hand, your fellow taxpayers …
- 5 Safe Dividend Stocks to Buy for Retirement Kiplinger - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 10:50 AM EST
With President Donald Trump into his first month in office, it's time for investors to focus on how to navigate what likely will be a bumpy investing road -- certainly this year, but potentially for years to come. What always will matter for investors -- particularly those planning for retirement -- is building a portfolio …