- 4 Money Lessons We Can Learn From J.K. Rowling @ Kiplinger - 4 hours ago
The Harry Potter author reveals perseverance and hard work can be just as effective as any spell from the Elder Wand.
- Contributing to Retirement Accounts When You Haven't Fully Retired @ Kiplinger - 5 hours ago
Some part-timers can keep socking money in a 401(k) and avoid required minimum distributions. It depends on your plan's rules.
- Raise Money for Personal Bills on Crowdfunding Sites @ Kiplinger - 5 hours ago
Before you move forward with setting up an online crowdfunding campaign, here's what you need to know.
- 3 No-Brainer Stocks to Buy for Retirement @ Kiplinger - 7 hours ago
Retirement investing is not what it used to be. The problem with the Federal Reserve's attempt to goose the economy is that it killed bond yields, forcing retired investors further out onto the risk curve, making it difficult to find safe stocks to buy. There are dividend stocks aplenty, but many of them are priced in …
- How To Find a Financial Adviser You Can Trust @ Kiplinger - 7 hours ago
The financial industry is generally clouded by an atmosphere of distrust, but with the new fiduciary rule and doing your due diligence, you can find the right person for you.
- 20 Amazing Ways Your Daily Life Will Be Different in 2030 @ Kiplinger - 7 hours ago
- 4 Retirement Planning Pitfalls to Avoid @ Kiplinger - 7 hours ago
Expenses and income are important, but there's more to a successful retirement plan than just dollars and cents.
- October Is National Financial Planning Month @ Kiplinger - 7 hours ago
Saving is a great start, but planning to reach your financial goals is even better.
- Why You Should Invest in Dividend-Paying Stocks @ Kiplinger - 7 hours ago
They offer some stability and income for today's volatile and low-rate environment.
- 3 Strategies to Increase the Value of Your Estate @ Kiplinger - 8 hours ago
You can boost your nest egg's return on investment by adjusting your withdrawal strategy in retirement and planning other smart financial moves.
- How Much Are You Paying for Investing Fees? @ Kiplinger - 8 hours ago
Asset management and mutual fund fees can really eat into your returns. Know how to control them.
- What's Keeping Investors Up At Night? @ Kiplinger - 8 hours ago
People tend to worry about things they cannot control, but they should focus instead on proper diversification and lowering fees.
- 10 Worst States for Taxes on Your Retirement Nest Egg @ Kiplinger - 9 hours ago
iStock Retirees have special concerns when evaluating state tax policies. For instance, the mortgage might be paid off, but how bad are the property taxes--and how generous are the property-tax breaks ...
- 10 Worst Jobs for the Future @ Kiplinger - 9 hours ago
The median pay is about $49,000 a year, and the entry-level education requirement is just a high school diploma, though you will also need to get a license to sell insurance in the state where you work. This job's numbers are expected to grow by 12.5% over the next decade, and the median salary is nearly $74,800 a yea …
- 10 Worst College Majors for Your Career @ Kiplinger - 9 hours ago
- Test Your Retirement IQ @ Kiplinger - 9 hours ago
The decisions you make leading up to retirement, including how much to save, how to allocate your investments, when to take Social Security and how to anticipate your retirement expenses can make a big difference in your old age. Once you're in retirement, you'll need smart strategies for taking withdrawals and investing …
- Best Vanguard Funds for Your Retirement Savings @ Kiplinger - 10 hours ago
Thirty-four Vanguard funds appear on a list of the 105 most popular mutual funds in employer-sponsored retirement savings plans. Not surprisingly, of the 34 most popular Vanguard funds in retirement plans, 15 are index funds.
- Best Fidelity Funds for Your Retirement Savings @ Kiplinger - 10 hours ago
Fidelity is home to some of the greatest stock fund managers of all time. At the top of the list is Peter Lynch, who during his tenure at Fidelity Magellan from 1977 to 1990 delivered a 29.1% annualized return. Since then, other stars have shone brightly, including Contrafund's Will Danoff, Low-Priced Stock's Joel Tillinghast …
- Kiplinger 25 Model Portfolios @ Kiplinger - 10 hours ago
Reach your investment goals with these plans using our favorite no-load mutual funds.
- Why You Should Invest in Health Care Stocks Now @ Kiplinger - 12 hours ago
This sector tends to do well in both bull and bear markets. Here's my favorite fund.
- 8 Secrets You Need to Know About Shopping at Kohl's @ Kiplinger - 12 hours ago
Chances are, if you're not a Kohl's fan, you know someone who is - and given the opening that someone will shower you with stories of saving big. You'll find a typical Kohl's - there are 1,164 stores in 49 states - in a standalone location in a well-to-do shopping center. If it strikes you as puzzling that Kohl's has …
- 8 Stocks You Should Sell Right Now @ Kiplinger - 13 hours ago
Twitter Inc. (TWTR) has been a major disappointment since going public in 2013. Walt Disney Co. (DIS), Alphabet Inc. (GOOG, GOOGL), Apple Inc. (AAPL) and Salesforce.com, Inc. (CRM) were all listed as potential suitors for a Twitter buyout bid, with most of the hubbub starting in late September. The fact remains that Twitter …
- 5 Best Vanguard ETFs for Retirees @ Kiplinger - 13 hours ago
If you're looking for a core group of ETFs that you can buy and hold through many years of retirement, check out the following five funds. Two are bond ETFs that should provide some insurance against a stock market crash, along with a bit of income on the side. A third pick covers a broad swath of the U.S. stock market, …
- 8 Things You Should Never Keep in Your Wallet @ Kiplinger - 13 hours ago
With just your name and Social Security number, identity thieves can open new credit accounts and make costly purchases in your name. If they can get their hands on (and doctor) a government-issued photo ID of yours, they can do even more damage, such as opening new bank accounts. The last thing you want to be wondering …
- Nonprofit Success Story: Flying Wounded Warriors Home @ Kiplinger - 14 hours ago
This veteran pilot provides free, private air transport to soldiers and their families.
- What to Consider Before You Get a Loan @ Kiplinger - Mon, Oct 24, 2016 3:50 PM EDT
Cost isn't the only issue when it comes to taking on debt. You must pay attention to these three equally important factors.
- The Challenge of Financing Health Care in Retirement @ Kiplinger - Mon, Oct 24, 2016 2:50 PM EDT
Invest in your health as you would in your 401(k): Do it automatically and stick with a plan.
- 5 Ways Life Insurance Can Pay Off Before You Die @ Kiplinger - Mon, Oct 24, 2016 2:40 PM EDT
Life insurance can provide more than just a death benefit. This investment adviser suggests ways to put the asset to use throughout your life.
- 7 Mistakes Even Informed Investors Can Make with Their 401(k)s @ Kiplinger - Mon, Oct 24, 2016 2:40 PM EDT
Avoid these issues because you may never get a chance to fix them.
- Worst Things to Keep in Your Wallet @ Kiplinger - Mon, Oct 24, 2016 12:40 PM EDT
- 4 Things You Need to Know About Black Friday 2016 @ Kiplinger - Mon, Oct 24, 2016 12:10 PM EDT
Here's an early look at what to expect for the holiday season's biggest shopping day.
- How $5 and the Stash App Turned Me Into an Investor @ Kiplinger - Mon, Oct 24, 2016 11:30 AM EDT
Super-low minimums and smartphone accessibility make it easy for young investors to learn the ropes.
- Social Security for Divorcees @ Kiplinger - Mon, Oct 24, 2016 10:20 AM EDT
- 7 Biggest Mistakes Investors Make @ Kiplinger - Mon, Oct 24, 2016 10:00 AM EDT
Thinkstock Is this the end of a seven-year bull market or the beginning of a prolonged bear market, or something in between? Truth is, nobody knows for sure. The vast opportunities for creating wealth ...
- 10 Best Stocks of the Bull Market @ Kiplinger - Mon, Oct 24, 2016 9:40 AM EDT
If you had invested $10,000 in shares of the top performer, General Growth Properties (symbol GGP), in March 2009, you would have suffered through a nail-biting bankruptcy. The same investment in Alaska Air Group (ALK) would have netted $181,000--far more than you would have had if you had invested the same sum in Vanguard …
- REITs for Retirement: 1 Stock, 1 ETF, 1 Mutual Fund @ Kiplinger - Mon, Oct 24, 2016 8:40 AM EDT
For investors about to enter, or already in retirement, real estate investment trusts (REITs) have to be on your list. Created by Congress in 1960 to give Americans the opportunity to easily invest in commercial real estate properties, REITs feature the best combination of attributes for retirement investors. A chance …
- How Much Social Security Benefits Will Go Up in 2017 @ Kiplinger - Mon, Oct 24, 2016 8:20 AM EDT
After no cost-of-living increase in 2016, benefits will rise 0.3% in 2017. For the average recipient, that's about enough to buy an extra latte each month.
- The Outlook for Pay Raises in 2017 @ Kiplinger - Mon, Oct 24, 2016 8:01 AM EDT
Look for average hikes of about 3%, but highly rated workers will get more.
- Things That Will Soon Disappear Forever @ Kiplinger - Sun, Oct 23, 2016 10:54 AM EDT
- 11 Common Medicare Mistakes @ Kiplinger - Sun, Oct 23, 2016 10:54 AM EDT
Medicare covers the bulk of your health care expenses after you turn 65. Worse, if you miss key deadlines when signing up for Medicare, you could have a gap in coverage, miss out on valuable tax breaks, or get stuck with a penalty for the rest of your life. Open enrollment for Medicare Part D and Medicare Advantage plans …
- Ways to Save Money on Groceries Without Coupons @ Kiplinger - Sun, Oct 23, 2016 10:54 AM EDT
You've seen them parked in Aisle 2 at your favorite supermarket: The extreme couponers thumbing intently through a box of coupons to get 35 cents off of Cottonelle. Indeed, all the coupons you've ever clipped are expired when you finally remember to cart them to the grocery store. Let's pause to look at the big picture: …
- 5 Things You Should Never Put in an Email @ Kiplinger - Sat, Oct 22, 2016 9:24 AM EDT
Scam artists and identity thieves will be sorely disappointed if you heed this advice.
- Wealth-Building Secrets of the Millionaires Next Door @ Kiplinger - Sat, Oct 22, 2016 9:24 AM EDT
The tenets they follow can also put you on the path to financial prosperity and security. In the words of Knight Kiplinger, editor in chief of Kiplinger's Personal Finance magazine and Kiplinger.com, "discretionary spending -- the chic apartment, frequent travel and restaurant meals, consumer electronics, fancy clothes …
- Inflation to Creep Up Next Year @ Kiplinger - Fri, Oct 21, 2016 2:20 PM EDT
- Stay the Course With Your Investment Strategy @ Kiplinger - Fri, Oct 21, 2016 1:40 PM EDT
Successful long-term investors need to be patient and able to ignore the short-term emotions of Mr. Market.
- 5 Financial Matters to Consider When Moving to a New State @ Kiplinger - Fri, Oct 21, 2016 1:30 PM EDT
Whether you're relocating for work or another reason, take these financial and tax strategies into account before packing up.
- Are Your Adult Kids Ready In Case Tragedy Strikes? @ Kiplinger - Fri, Oct 21, 2016 12:10 PM EDT
- 10 Financial Decisions You Will Regret Forever @ Kiplinger - Fri, Oct 21, 2016 11:40 AM EDT
Financial professionals have heard the refrain before: "I'll start saving for retirement when I make more money." But that fiddling while Rome burns won't cut it as retirement nears. Sure, you want your children to have the best -- best education, best wedding, best everything.
- 5 Simple Mistakes That Could Ruin Your Retirement @ Kiplinger - Fri, Oct 21, 2016 11:40 AM EDT
- 7 Blue-Chip Stocks That Are Due for a Turnaround @ Kiplinger - Fri, Oct 21, 2016 11:20 AM EDT