- 12 Things You Can't Return to Amazon @ Kiplinger - 7 hours ago
Before you add any of these items to your online shopping cart, be sure you really, really want them.
- Things That Will Soon Disappear Forever @ Kiplinger - 7 hours ago
- Overlooked Tax Deductions @ Kiplinger - 7 hours ago
After years of uncertainty, in 2015 Congress finally made this break "permanent." This is particularly important to you if you live in a state that does not impose a state income tax. Congress offers itemizers the choice between deducting the state income taxes or state sales taxes they paid. In some cases, even filers …
- Worst College Majors for Your Career 2016-2017 @ Kiplinger - 7 hours ago
- Best Things to Buy at Dollar Stores for the Holidays @ Kiplinger - 7 hours ago
Thrifty holiday shoppers know where to go to save on seasonal necessities: the dollar store. The everything-is-a-buck-or-so retailers fit the bill for a wide array of must-have items for holiday entertaining and gift giving.
- Flying High By Managing Risk In Wealth Management @ Kiplinger - Fri, Dec 2, 2016 2:40 PM EST
When it comes to both investing and flying a plane, you need to be prepared, use the proper tools and have a good wingman.
- 7 Tips for Talking to Millennials About Money @ Kiplinger - Fri, Dec 2, 2016 2:20 PM EST
Discussing financial matters with your kids can be difficult. Try to remember that they are adults.
- All You Need to Know About Saving for Emergencies @ Kiplinger - Fri, Dec 2, 2016 2:10 PM EST
Building an emergency fund may be your most important financial goal. Understand why you need it, how much you should save and where to invest the savings.
- Why Your Financial Professionals Should Work Together @ Kiplinger - Fri, Dec 2, 2016 1:50 PM EST
If you have a financial adviser, an accountant and an attorney, they should communicate with each other to help design your best financial strategy.
- 5 Money Lessons Women Must Learn @ Kiplinger - Fri, Dec 2, 2016 1:30 PM EST
It's important to understand these five basic points in order to take control of your life and be financially independent.
- An Interest Rate Increase Is Long Overdue @ Kiplinger - Fri, Dec 2, 2016 1:20 PM EST
The highly anticipated rise will be good for savers and investors.
- Riding Out a Bear Market With a Hold and Sell Strategy @ Kiplinger - Fri, Dec 2, 2016 1:10 PM EST
If you're already retired or near retirement, you might consider turning to low-volatility bond investment and money-market accounts before the next storm hits.
- Embracing Technology in the World of Finance @ Kiplinger - Fri, Dec 2, 2016 1:00 PM EST
Good apps and online tools can help you better handle your personal finances, but a financial adviser still plays an important role, too.
- 10 Reasons You Will Never Make $1 Million Dollars @ Kiplinger - Fri, Dec 2, 2016 12:40 PM EST
Consider the math: According to Bankrate.com, the highest yield you can expect from a money market account right now is 1.26%. There's no denying that the stock market can take you on a bumpy ride, so your fears are understandable. Savings earmarked for retirement are particularly well suited for the stock market.
- 11 Tricks to Shopping at Whole Foods Without Spending Your Whole Paycheck @ Kiplinger - Fri, Dec 2, 2016 12:30 PM EST
Yes, it is possible to shop at Whole Foods without spending your whole paycheck - if you learn the tricks to saving money at the upscale grocer. "The company is unfairly characterized as being overpriced," says Burt P. Flickinger III, managing director of Strategic Resource Group, a consumer industry consulting firm. …
- 3 Tech Stocks Paying Surprisingly Big Dividends @ Kiplinger - Fri, Dec 2, 2016 11:50 AM EST
This is because technology companies generally focus on growth. Companies like AT&T Inc. (T) and Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ) have long paid dividends approaching 5%. Hard disk drives are a third example.
- 10 Stocks the Smart Money Likes Right Now @ Kiplinger - Fri, Dec 2, 2016 11:40 AM EST
Forty five days after each quarter end, the SEC requires large institutional money managers -- what we think of as the "smart money" -- to file their 13-F reports disclosing all of their current long investments and any trades they made over the course of the quarter. It gives ordinary investors like us a chance to peek …
- 9 Secrets You Can Learn From the Millionaires Next Door @ Kiplinger - Fri, Dec 2, 2016 9:30 AM EST
In the words of Knight Kiplinger, editor in chief of Kiplinger's Personal Finance magazine and Kiplinger.com, "discretionary spending -- the chic apartment, frequent travel and restaurant meals, consumer electronics, fancy clothes and cars -- crowds out the saving that will enable you to be rich someday." This is what makes …
- 10 Best Jobs for the Future 2016 @ Kiplinger - Fri, Dec 2, 2016 9:20 AM EST
These booming careers look promising for years to come.
- 8 Stocks to Buy Now for 2017 @ Kiplinger - Fri, Dec 2, 2016 8:40 AM EST
iStockphoto These eight stocks all offer strong growth prospects at reasonable prices, a combination that should result in solid gains. We lean toward large companies, but our picks also include two small ...
- 8 Great Retirement Stocks for Baby Boomers @ Kiplinger - Fri, Dec 2, 2016 8:40 AM EST
Ideally, you should own stocks that can provide strong and steady gains at a reasonable price--investments you can buy today and not think about for five, 10 or 20 years. In assembling this basket of stocks, we sought companies with durable competitive advantages and the ability to lift earnings for many years.
- 8 Best Wireless Phone Plans for Every Type of User @ Kiplinger - Thu, Dec 1, 2016 9:20 PM EST
A full-price, 32GB iPhone 7 runs $649, for example, and a Samsung Galaxy S7 is at least $650, depending on the carrier. With the T-Mobile One plan, a family of four pays $160 a month (you must make automatic payments to qualify for that price). The plan provides unlimited calling, texting and data in the U.S., Canada …
- How to Pick the Best Funds for Your Portfolio @ Kiplinger - Thu, Dec 1, 2016 1:10 PM EST
Be sure to look at performance history, management experience and costs, among other things.
- Social Security Taxes Will Nick More of Your Earnings in 2017 @ Kiplinger - Thu, Dec 1, 2016 12:30 PM EST
The maximum amount of earnings on which you pay Social Security taxes is rising to $127,200, up from $118,500 in 2016.
- Get 5% or More From Preferred Stocks Kiplinger - Thu, Dec 1, 2016 12:30 PM EST
These high-paying hybrid securities belong in most income portfolios.
- Test Your Retirement IQ @ Kiplinger - Thu, Dec 1, 2016 10:40 AM EST
The decisions you make leading up to retirement, including how much to save, how to allocate your investments, when to take Social Security and how to anticipate your retirement expenses can make a big difference in your old age. Once you're in retirement, you'll need smart strategies for taking withdrawals and investing …
- Secrets of the Millionaire Next Door @ Kiplinger - Thu, Dec 1, 2016 10:20 AM EST
Join the ranks of the invisible rich by building wealth the right way.
- Best Vanguard Funds for Your Retirement Savings Kiplinger - Thu, Dec 1, 2016 9:20 AM EST
Thirty-four Vanguard funds appear on a list of the 105 most popular mutual funds in employer-sponsored retirement savings plans. Not surprisingly, of the 34 most popular Vanguard funds in retirement plans, 15 are index funds.
- 8 Things Not to Keep In Your Wallet This Holiday Season @ Kiplinger - Thu, Dec 1, 2016 9:20 AM EST
"Pickpocketing can happen virtually anywhere, and people should be on their guard, especially while shopping this holiday season," says Ken Chaplin, senior vice president at TransUnion. With just your name and Social Security number, identity thieves can open new credit accounts and make costly purchases in your name. …
- 3 Reasons Why Starbucks Stock Is Going to $100 @ Kiplinger - Wed, Nov 30, 2016 2:50 PM EST
Starbucks stock has gained 16,376% since it went public June 26, 1992, at $17 per share. Clearly, it's one of the all-time great American retail success stories and CEO Howard Schultz has a lot to do with that, but if you think Starbucks stock doesn't have more in the tank -- think again. Starbucks stock hit a high of …
- 10 Worst States for Taxes on Your Retirement Nest Egg @ Kiplinger - Wed, Nov 30, 2016 2:50 PM EST
iStock Retirees have special concerns when evaluating state tax policies. For instance, the mortgage might be paid off, but how bad are the property taxes--and how generous are the property-tax breaks ...
- 3 Reasons to Sell Your Netflix Stock Now @ Kiplinger - Wed, Nov 30, 2016 2:50 PM EST
There's no denying Netflix, Inc. (NFLX) has been one of the hottest stories of the past decade. While Netflix had the early advantage of having no peers and therefore didn't face any cost-control questions from owners of NFLX shares, now -- with alternatives and competition popping up left and right -- many of the company's …
- 7 Growth Stocks That Should Replace Apple in Your Portfolio @ Kiplinger - Wed, Nov 30, 2016 2:50 PM EST
Just about everything about Apple Inc.'s (AAPL) fourth-quarter earnings report was positive. Despite this fact -- and the company's apparent value -- AAPL stock still fell 3% in response to earnings late last week. The fact that it fell 3% is alarming, and it's also telling about how investors view Apple.
- The Simple Holiday Budget Anyone Can Follow @ Kiplinger - Wed, Nov 30, 2016 2:30 PM EST
Stay in the black when the red and green take over.
- What You Can Learn from Wealthy Investors @ Kiplinger - Wed, Nov 30, 2016 1:50 PM EST
High-net-worth individuals may have more money to work with, but you can make the same money-smart moves, no matter your income.
- Kiplinger 25 Model Portfolios @ Kiplinger - Wed, Nov 30, 2016 11:50 AM EST
Reach your investment goals with these plans using our favorite no-load mutual funds.
- 3 Reliable Dividend Stocks Yielding 7% or More @ Kiplinger - Wed, Nov 30, 2016 10:00 AM EST
Dividend stocks are all the rage now, for better or for worse, because bond yields have effectively dried up as the Federal Reserve kept interest rates at record lows. Thus, as more and more money flows into dividend stocks, they start to get stretched as far as valuation is concerned. Sunoco LP is a master limited partnership …
- 10 Best Stocks You Can Buy for Under $10 Kiplinger - Wed, Nov 30, 2016 10:00 AM EST
While Lantheus Holdings Inc. is currently a shade under $10, don't expect it to stay there for very long. This includes everything from cybersecurity and video surveillance to guided munitions and drones.
- 3 No-Brainer Stocks to Buy for Retirement Kiplinger - Wed, Nov 30, 2016 10:00 AM EST
Retirement investing is not what it used to be. The problem with the Federal Reserve's attempt to goose the economy is that it killed bond yields, forcing retired investors further out onto the risk curve, making it difficult to find safe stocks to buy. There are dividend stocks aplenty, but many of them are priced in …
- 10 Great Stocks for the Next 10 Years Kiplinger - Wed, Nov 30, 2016 9:30 AM EST
Thinkstock Warren Buffett aims to hold stocks "forever." We're a bit less patient. But we like playing the long game: picking a few solid companies, sticking with them through tough times and ...
- 5 Best Vanguard ETFs for Retirement @ Kiplinger - Wed, Nov 30, 2016 9:20 AM EST
If you're looking for a core group of ETFs that you can buy and hold through many years of retirement, check out the following five Vanguard funds. Two are bond ETFs that should provide some insurance against a stock market crash, along with a bit of income on the side. A third pick covers a broad swath of the U.S. stock …
- 5 Stocks You Should Dump Right Now Kiplinger - Wed, Nov 30, 2016 9:10 AM EST
CAT now trades at 27 times estimated earnings, well above its 10-year average P/E of 16, says Jim Corridore, an analyst with S&P Global Market Intelligence. The company delivered 24,821 vehicles in the third quarter of 2016, up 114% from a year earlier, and aims to build 500,000 cars a year by 2018.
- Dow 20,000: Stock Market Milestone Is Tantalizingly Close @ Kiplinger - Wed, Nov 30, 2016 9:10 AM EST
The ride getting there may be bumpy, but the Dow Jones industrial average could be heading toward a major milestone: cracking 20,000 for the first time in its 120-year history.
- 7 States That Are Better Than Florida for Retirement Kiplinger - Wed, Nov 30, 2016 8:40 AM EST
Because we all can't retire to the Sunshine State.
- 8 Urban Myths of Personal Finance @ Kiplinger - Wed, Nov 30, 2016 8:40 AM EST
Don't believe everything you hear about your money.
- 10 Financial Decisions That Will Haunt You Forever @ Kiplinger - Wed, Nov 30, 2016 8:40 AM EST
Financial professionals have heard the refrain before: "I'll start saving for retirement when I make more money." But that fiddling while Rome burns won't cut it as retirement nears. Sure, you want your children to have the best -- best education, best wedding, best everything.
- How to Handle 3 Holiday-Party Etiquette Challenges @ Kiplinger - Wed, Nov 30, 2016 8:01 AM EST
Don't let hurt feelings spoil the fun.
- To Be Happier, Favor Experiences Over Things @ Kiplinger - Wed, Nov 30, 2016 8:01 AM EST
While the stuff we own grows old and obsolete, memories of things we did are often burnished with time.
- OPEC Keeps Oil Markets Jittery @ Kiplinger - Tue, Nov 29, 2016 3:10 PM EST
- The Unsung Role of Budget Planning in Retirement @ Kiplinger - Tue, Nov 29, 2016 2:10 PM EST
More important than determining your investment strategy, outlining your post-retirement expenses can help ensure your money lasts a lifetime.