- 9 IRS Audit Red Flags for Retirees Kiplinger - 5 hours ago
Although the overall individual audit rate is only about one in 119, the odds increase dramatically as your income goes up, as it might if you sell a valuable piece of property or get a big payout from a retirement plan. The IRS wants to be sure that owners of IRAs and participants in 401(k)s and other workplace retirement …
- Will OPEC Cuts Bring Higher Oil Prices? @ Kiplinger - 7 hours ago
- The 23 Most-Overlooked Tax Deductions @ Kiplinger - 7 hours ago
After years of uncertainty, in 2015 Congress finally made this break "permanent." This is particularly important to you if you live in a state that does not impose a state income tax. Congress offers itemizers the choice between deducting the state income taxes or state sales taxes they paid. In some cases, even filers …
- Should You Invest in 2017's Dogs of the Dow? @ Kiplinger - 8 hours ago
These temporarily out-of-favor stocks can deliver both strong dividend payouts and share-price appreciation in the year ahead.
- 5 Steps to Take Right Now for a Financially Strong 2017 @ Kiplinger - 10 hours ago
This is the year to raise your financial game by taking a proactive approach and making sure that all the parts of your plan are working together.
- Reasons Amazon Stock Will Hit $1,000 in 2017 @ Kiplinger - 14 hours ago
Amazon stock closed last Friday at nearly $817, good for roughly 9% year-to-date gains to beat the S&P 500 by a mile. Betting against AMZN stock has been and continues to be a foolish game. Amazon -- which last week nodded to President Donald Trump's huge jobs push by announcing it will create some 100,000 new full-time, …
- 12 Reasons You Will Go Broke in Retirement Kiplinger - 14 hours ago
Retirement is a major milestone that brings many life changes. According to the Transamerica Center for Retirement Studies, the most frequently reported retirement worry is outliving savings and investments. Across all ages, 51% of respondents cited this concern, and 41% of retirees claim the same fear.
- 3 Reasons You Should Buy Alphabet Stock in 2017 @ Kiplinger - 15 hours ago
Alphabet Inc. (GOOGL, GOOG) had a respectable performance for the past year, gaining some 16%. Although, it did lag behind one of its fiercest rivals, Facebook Inc. (FB), whose stock logged a return of 34%. Of course, for Alphabet Inc, the company will not have the same kind of high-growth rates of past.
- 5 Signs the Trump Stock Rally Is Coming to an End @ Kiplinger - 15 hours ago
The next four years might not be a bed of roses for stock market investors.
- 10 Stocks Every Retiree Should Own Kiplinger - 15 hours ago
iStock When it comes to building a retirement portfolio, your first steps should be to make sure it's diversified and isn't too risky. Beyond that, it's about finding a mix of stocks and bonds that can ...
- Don't Be Burned by Deferred Interest @ Kiplinger - 16 hours ago
You'll feel the pain if you fail to pay off your store card before the 0% period ends.
- 5 Keys to Your Social Security Benefits Strategy @ Kiplinger - Sun, Jan 22, 2017 10:10 AM EST
There are a variety of factors that can determine when it's best for you to start claiming your benefit.
- What to Expect From Trump's First 100 Days @ Kiplinger - Sun, Jan 22, 2017 10:08 AM EST
He'll score quick wins with executive orders slashing regs. But it will be slower going on undoing Obamacare, tax law, and other legislation.
- Colleges With Lowest Average Graduating Debt, 2017 @ Kiplinger - Sun, Jan 22, 2017 10:00 AM EST
iStockphoto The cost of a college education continues to rise. In 2016-17 the average sticker price for an in-state, four-year public institution, including tuition, fees, and room and board, rose 2.7%, ...
- Smart Retirement Strategies for Women @ Kiplinger - Sun, Jan 22, 2017 9:58 AM EST
Women and men have the same opportunities for saving, investing and borrowing, the same investments, and they are subject to the same rules. This divide is particularly striking when it comes to preparing for retirement. Because women have longer life expectancies, they will probably have to provide for themselves in …
- Test Your Retirement IQ @ Kiplinger - Sun, Jan 22, 2017 9:54 AM EST
The decisions you make leading up to retirement, including how much to save, how to allocate your investments, when to take Social Security and how to anticipate your retirement expenses can make a big difference in your old age. Once you're in retirement, you'll need smart strategies for taking withdrawals and investing …
- 10 Kirkland Products You Should Buy at Costco Kiplinger - Sun, Jan 22, 2017 9:53 AM EST
In fact, high marks from readers on the quality of Costco's store brands helped the bulk retailer place sixth in Consumer Reports' supermarkets ratings, behind Market Basket, Fareway, Trader Joe's, Publix and, the No. 1 chain, Wegmans. Costco has turned on its head the notion that a store brand is a notch below a national …
- Tax Deductions: Are These Legit or Not? @ Kiplinger - Sat, Jan 21, 2017 10:38 AM EST
The government itself estimates that individuals and businesses spend more than 6 billion hours a year dealing with their tax returns and all the decisions that go into them. See if you can separate the legitimate deductions from the ones that would trigger a "not so fast, buddy" response from the IRS. You do have to …
- 10 Best Dividend-Paying Stocks for 2017 Kiplinger - Sat, Jan 21, 2017 10:33 AM EST
High-quality dividend stocks never go out of style for long-term investors, and there is no shortage of stocks with high yields and bright prospects for 2017, from telecommunications companies embracing the digital future to pharmaceutical companies riding the success of new drugs. The pharmaceutical sector is a great …
- Best Values in Public Colleges, 2017 @ Kiplinger - Sat, Jan 21, 2017 10:29 AM EST
iStockphoto Families looking to trim college costs often steer their students toward public colleges in their home state rather than to public colleges across state lines or private institutions. Staying ...
- Things That Will Soon Disappear Forever @ Kiplinger - Sat, Jan 21, 2017 10:27 AM EST
Ten years ago, thousands of Blockbuster Video stores occupied buildings like this all over the country, renting DVDs and selling popcorn. Now Blockbuster is gone, scooped up (and then erased) by the DISH Network in a bankruptcy auction. Connecting either via Bluetooth or the Internet, your mobile device will be programmed …
- Tax Forms That Can Accidentally Increase Your Tax Bill @ Kiplinger - Sat, Jan 21, 2017 10:24 AM EST
2. Thinking you have to include every dime reported on the 1099s to the IRS. Lots of the dollars reported on 1099s are tax-free. The IRS gets a copy of every 1099 information return, so it's important to get this right.
- Best and Worst Things to Buy at Aldi Kiplinger - Sat, Jan 21, 2017 10:22 AM EST
Haven't shopped at an Aldi supermarket yet? After steadily expanding its footprint in the eastern part of the country over the past 40 years - the first U.S. store opened in Iowa in 1976 - Aldi is now adding locations in Southern California. There are few shelves, few employees and none of the amenities you've come to …
- What You Must Know About Shopping at Publix @ Kiplinger - Sat, Jan 21, 2017 10:17 AM EST
If you're going grocery shopping in Florida, you're probably headed to Publix. Based in Lakeland, Fla., Publix is the largest employee-owned grocery chain in the U.S.-- it has more than 350 locations outside Florida, for a total of 1,100 -- and it is one of Fortune's 100 Best Companies to Work For. If you're not from …
- 3 Reasons to Buy GE Stock in Retirement @ Kiplinger - Fri, Jan 20, 2017 11:00 AM EST
Stocks for retirees don't get much bluer than blue-chip General Electric (symbol GE). It's also reconfiguring itself to be a centerpiece of the 21st-century industrial sector. GE sold off most of its financial businesses and merged its oil operations with Baker Hughes to form a separate publicly traded company.
- 4 Retirement Stocks Paying Dividends of 4% or More Kiplinger - Fri, Jan 20, 2017 10:50 AM EST
As a result, a rising stock market, such as we've had of late, can make it harder for income investors to find attractive dividend payers. Indeed, the current dividend yield on Standard & Poor's 500-stock index is just 2.1%, down from 2.3% a year ago.
- How to Build the Right Team to Manage Your Wealth @ Kiplinger - Fri, Jan 20, 2017 10:20 AM EST
Getting all your financial professionals working together is key to ensuring your long-term financial success.
- 4 Dow Stocks Every Retiree Should Own Kiplinger - Fri, Jan 20, 2017 10:10 AM EST
The Dow Jones industrial average is a bastion of large, stable companies that pay dividends and represent some of the very best firms in their respective industries. If we had to pick just four of the 30 stocks that make up the Dow, we would focus on names with some combination of high or fast-rising dividends and promising …
- What Investors Should Learn from the Presidential Election @ Kiplinger - Fri, Jan 20, 2017 10:10 AM EST
How markets reacted to Donald Trump's presidential win proves that you should focus on investing for the long haul.
- How One Family Navigated the Rocky U.S. Economy @ Kiplinger - Fri, Jan 20, 2017 8:01 AM EST
Things were looking grim before this family made a business move that actually helped them benefit from the recession.
- Energy Prices Will Propel Inflation Pickup in 2017 @ Kiplinger - Thu, Jan 19, 2017 4:30 PM EST
- 6 Ways to Make the Most of Your Charitable Giving @ Kiplinger - Thu, Jan 19, 2017 3:40 PM EST
Giving offers great personal and financial benefits, but you have to go about it the right way. Ideas on maximizing your contributions while minimizing your taxes.
- 8 Best Dividend Stocks in the Russell 2000 Index Kiplinger - Thu, Jan 19, 2017 2:30 PM EST
Investors are betting that President-elect Donald Trump's policies will boost the U.S. economy in 2017. Smaller firms also could benefit substantially from Trump's promises to cut business tax rates and ease regulation. Although dividend yields for many small-cap stocks are modest, a business's willingness to pay dividends--and …
- 7 Best Monthly Dividend Stocks for 2017 Kiplinger - Thu, Jan 19, 2017 2:30 PM EST
As bond yields rose, the prices of virtually everything paying an income stream got slammed. Some of my favorite dividend stocks, REITs and closed-end funds fell by 20% or more ... at a time when the broader stock market was rallying. This is where monthly dividend stocks come in handy.
- How Dividend-Paying Stocks Can Energize Your Portfolio @ Kiplinger - Thu, Jan 19, 2017 12:20 PM EST
They can help provide you a nice income stream, but be aware that they do carry some risks.
- 6 Things You Need to Know About Prescription Drug Coupons @ Kiplinger - Thu, Jan 19, 2017 10:40 AM EST
They may end up costing you more in the long run.
- 10 Financial Decisions You Will Regret in Retirement @ Kiplinger - Thu, Jan 19, 2017 10:10 AM EST
As more and more baby boomers start eyeing the coastline of retirement, thoughts turn from the daily worry over the Monday-through-Friday commute to concerns about how to fund the golden years. How about your 401(k), IRA and other retirement accounts that make up your nest egg? Do you have a good handle on when to claim …
- 3 Vanguard Funds to Avoid Right Now Kiplinger - Thu, Jan 19, 2017 9:30 AM EST
Kiplinger Vanguard funds are some of the best mutual funds in the universe for buy-and-hold investing. But now can be a good time for tactical investors to start selling shares of certain types of funds. ...
- The 7 Best REITs to Buy for High Yield and Growth @ Kiplinger - Thu, Jan 19, 2017 9:20 AM EST
Real estate investment trusts (REITs) really took a beating in the second half of last year. From the late summer peak through the post-election trough, the Vanguard REIT ETF (VNQ) shed 17% of its value ... at a time when the broader market has been flying high.
- Insurers No Longer Selling Long-Term-Care Policies @ Kiplinger - Thu, Jan 19, 2017 8:01 AM EST
Some insurers will continue to service existing policies; others will sell off your policy to another insurer.
- Qualifying for the Retirement Savers' Tax Credit @ Kiplinger - Wed, Jan 18, 2017 5:20 PM EST
Retirees who earned too much money in the past may now qualify for this credit.
- 8 One-Off Ways to Update Your Kitchen @ Kiplinger - Wed, Jan 18, 2017 3:10 PM EST
Houzz.com Investing in a new kitchen is costly and involves an awful lot of upheaval. Instead of embarking on a huge project, consider these snappy ideas and indulge in a little low-stress kitchen refreshment. ...
- 4 Keys to Smart Financial Planning @ Kiplinger - Wed, Jan 18, 2017 2:20 PM EST
Information overload can trip up good decision making. To protect your retirement security, you've got to stay focused.
- Taxes Should Not Drive Your Investment Decisions @ Kiplinger - Wed, Jan 18, 2017 12:30 PM EST
No one likes paying taxes, but when you're a big-picture investor, sometimes it just makes sense.
- Hybrid Insurance Policies Gaining Steam @ Kiplinger - Wed, Jan 18, 2017 11:40 AM EST
If you can't afford traditional long-term-care insurance, a new strategy that combines life insurance with long-term-care benefits may be more practical.
- 10 Best Dividend Stocks of the Dow Kiplinger - Wed, Jan 18, 2017 9:00 AM EST
In the first half of 2016, the Dow Jones utility average, a proxy for hefty dividend payers, was a market leader, rising 26%. Portfolio managers suggest that in this environment it makes sense to invest in companies that should deliver both above-average dividend growth and above-average earnings. If you're bullish on …
- Airlines Offering New Levels of Service @ Kiplinger - Wed, Jan 18, 2017 8:01 AM EST
Consider new stripped-down and souped-up options in a tiered approach to economy class.
- 10 Dividend Growth Stocks That Simply Print Money @ Kiplinger - Tue, Jan 17, 2017 5:20 PM EST
History has taught us that dividend growth stocks are the absolute best way to grow both your income and wealth over time. One such group of dividend stocks is known as the S&P 500 Dividend Aristocrats -- S&P 500 companies that have increased their payouts for at least 25 consecutive years. Of course, to be able to pay …
- Online Sales Surge, In-store Sales Hobble @ Kiplinger - Tue, Jan 17, 2017 4:50 PM EST
- A Grumpy Old Man's Guide to 401(k) Investing @ Kiplinger - Tue, Jan 17, 2017 3:50 PM EST
It's tough-love time: If you're lucky enough to have a 401(k) plan, and you're not filling it to the max, you're making a rookie mistake.