- Asia stocks: Latest quotes @ MarketWatch - 1 hour 25 minutes ago
LOS ANGELES (MarketWatch) -- Here are the latest trading levels for Asia's major stock markets: Tokyo (Nikkei Average) up 1.3% ; Hong Kong (Hang Seng Index) down 0.2% ; Shanghai (Shanghai Composite Index) ...
- Gold rises on Ukraine ‘war premium’ @ MarketWatch - 10 hours ago
Gold futures inch higher on Monday as investors seek safe-haven assets amid increased tensions between Ukraine and Russia after fighting intensified over the weekend.
- Tesco, HSBC shares drop in London trading @ MarketWatch - 11 hours ago
Supermarket chain Tesco PLC and banking heavyweight HSBC drop in London trade after major shareholders cut their stakes in each company.
- Novartis climbs, Iliad drops: European movers @ MarketWatch - 11 hours ago
Novartis, HSBC and ITV are some of the stocks that made notable moves in European trade.
- Is your ‘alternative’ fund a ticking time bomb? @ MarketWatch - 11 hours ago
Most people who own “alternative mutual funds” have no idea what they’ve got in their portfolio, writes Chuck Jaffe.
- It’s been a summer worth waiting (in line) for @ MarketWatch - 13 hours ago
After a winter that introduced huge swaths of the country to the term polar vortex, this summer, it turned out, has been one worth waiting for. And wait we have. For everything from Shakespeare to craft ...
- 5 reasons to flee the U.S. for Canada @ MarketWatch - 13 hours ago
Burger King followed Tim Horton’s across the border. Should you do the same?
- [video] Russia Calls for Immediate Cease-Fire in Ukraine @ MarketWatch - 15 hours ago
Russia called on Kiev to agree to an immediate and unconditional cease-fire in talks on Monday. Fighting has continued in eastern Ukraine and Russian President Vladimir Putin said Ukraine’s leaders refuse ...
- Obama 'banned' from Russian duty-free store @ MarketWatch - 15 hours ago
Western leaders have been hit with their own Russian sanction -- a ban on shopping in a Vladivostok duty-free store.
- Millennials, you’re paying for things the wrong way @ MarketWatch - 15 hours ago
Most people pull dollars rather than plastic out of their wallets for small purchases.
- 6 educational apps for kids worth every penny @ MarketWatch - 15 hours ago
There are plenty of apps for all kinds of devices that don’t offer pricey in-app purchases and can enrich your kids
- [video] Former HK Chief Secretary: Election Reform a Farce @ MarketWatch - 16 hours ago
Former Hong Kong Chief Secretary Anson Chan tells WSJ's Deborah Kan about Hong Kong's struggle to gain electoral independence from Beijing.
- [video] McDonald's China Scandal May Jolt Food Safety Laws @ MarketWatch - 16 hours ago
In China, Big Macs and Chicken McNuggets are back on the menu after a supplier was accused of selling expired meat. Six people have been arrested. WSJ’s Ramy Inocencio speaks with Les Ross, partner at ...
- Russia signals a hard line on Ukraine talks @ MarketWatch - 16 hours ago
Moscow calls on Kiev to agree to an immediate and unconditional cease-fire as President Vladimir Putin accuses Ukraine’s leaders of escalating the violence by refusing to negotiate in good faith.
- European stocks slip as Ukraine-Russian tensions escalate @ MarketWatch - 17 hours ago
European stocks were slightly lower, with the conflict between Ukraine and Russia in focus ahead of talks between the two sides.
- Heineken sells Mexican can maker to Crown for $1.23 billion @ MarketWatch - 19 hours ago
The cash deal should allow Dutch brewer Heineken to tighten its focus on beer and U.S. group Crown to entrench its beverage-can business in North America.
- Oil futures rangebound as markets weigh Ukraine, Chinese data @ MarketWatch - 20 hours ago
Crude-oil futures traded in a narrow price range Monday as markets weighed events in Ukraine and China’s manufacturing data that pointed to further slowing of the economy.
- Beijing plays hardball over Hong Kong democracy @ MarketWatch - 20 hours ago
The gloves are now off, and civil disobedience protests will start for real in Hong Kong after the Chinese government rules out open elections for the territory, writes Craig Stephen.
- Why investors will find Ukraine harder to ignore @ MarketWatch - 20 hours ago
Rising tensions between Russia and the West over Ukraine have been largely ignored by investors. With the situation worsening, that is unlikely to remain the case.
- China officials say cyanide found in dog meat sold to restaurants @ MarketWatch - 22 hours ago
A group of people in China allegedly ran a business selling meat from dogs that were poisoned — sometimes with cyanide — then stolen and sold to restaurants over two years, prosecutors say during a trial ...
- Hong Kong stocks shrug off weak data @ MarketWatch - Sun, Aug 31, 2014 10:27 PM EDT
HONG KONG (MarketWatch) -- Hong Kong stocks moved higher Monday morning after a brief loss in choppy opening trade, shrugging off two separate gauges of China's manufacturing activity which both showed ...
- [video] Raw Video: Militia Members at U.S. Embassy Grounds in Libya @ MarketWatch - Sun, Aug 31, 2014 5:29 PM EDT
Amateur video shows what appears to be Libyan militia members enjoying the pool on the grounds of the U.S. embassy in Tripoli. The embassy was evacuated in July due to security concerns. Photo: AP/Amateur ...
- U.S. economy still hitting speed bumps @ MarketWatch - Sun, Aug 31, 2014 12:03 PM EDT
The U.S. economy is motoring ahead of the rest of the world and generating the best job growth in years, but the ride is still not free of bumps.
- Polish premier, Italian foreign minister win top EU jobs @ MarketWatch - Sun, Aug 31, 2014 12:02 PM EDT
Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk and Italian Foreign Minister Federica Mogherini are named to top European Union roles, after several hours of negotiation between heads of state and government in Brussels....
- 10 best and worst S&P 500 stocks of 2014 @ MarketWatch - Sun, Aug 31, 2014 10:36 AM EDT
Gains of up to 82% far outpace the index, while retailers lose big, writes Phil van Doorn.
- Tony Stewart breaks silence, says Ward's death 'will affect me forever' @ MarketWatch - Sat, Aug 30, 2014 2:43 PM EDT
Tony Stewart broke his silence over the incident that killed a fellow driver earlier this month as he prepared to return to racing. Debate continues over NASCAR's handling of the aftermath.
- This week’s best of the Trading Deck @ MarketWatch - Sat, Aug 30, 2014 6:01 AM EDT
In this week’s ‘Best of the Trading Deck,’ we spotlight columns discussing recent and possible future action in Europe, what to make of the S&P topping 2,000, and more.
- Alibaba moving toward IPO by mid-September: report @ MarketWatch - Sat, Aug 30, 2014 1:37 AM EDT
CHICAGO (MarketWatch) -- Alibaba Group is set to kick off its initial-public-offering process during the week of Sept. 8, according to an exclusive Wall Street Journal report, with shares on track to begin ...
- [video] Film Clip: 'Whiplash' @ MarketWatch - Fri, Aug 29, 2014 7:21 PM EDT
Watch a clip from the film "Whiplash," starring Miles Teller, J.K. Simmons, and Paul Reiser. Photo/Video: Sony Pictures Classics
- [video] Film Clip: 'A Walk Among the Tombstones' @ MarketWatch - Fri, Aug 29, 2014 7:18 PM EDT
Watch a clip from the film "A Walk Among the Tombstones," starring Liam Neeson, Dan Stevens, and Boyd Holbrook. Photo/Video: Universal Pictures
- [video] Film Clip: 'The Drop' @ MarketWatch - Fri, Aug 29, 2014 7:14 PM EDT
Watch a clip from the film "The Drop," starring Tom Hardy, Noomi Rapace, and James Gandolfini. Photo/Video: 20th Century Fox
- [video] Film Clip: 'Hector and the Search for Happiness' @ MarketWatch - Fri, Aug 29, 2014 7:06 PM EDT
Watch a clip from the film "Hector and the Search for Happiness," starring Rosamund Pike, Simon Pegg, and Stellan Skarsgård. Photo/Video: Relativity Media
- [video] Film Clip: 'Foxcatcher' @ MarketWatch - Fri, Aug 29, 2014 7:04 PM EDT
Watch a clip from the film "Foxcatcher," starring Channing Tatum, Anthony Michael Hall, and Steve Carell. Photo/Video: Sony Pictures Classics
- [video] Film Clip: 'Dolphin Tale 2' @ MarketWatch - Fri, Aug 29, 2014 7:01 PM EDT
Watch a clip from the film "Dolphin Tale 2," starring Morgan Freeman, Ashley Judd, and Nathan Gamble. Photo/Video: Warner Bros.
- [video] The World's Best Place to Retire Is... @ MarketWatch - Fri, Aug 29, 2014 5:14 PM EDT
There are some unexpected global destination to retire, according to the 2014 Retire Overseas Index. Kathleen Peddicord, "Live and Invest Overseas" author and publisher, discusses the cities ...
- [video] Deadliest Ebola Outbreak Ever Spreads to Senegal @ MarketWatch - Fri, Aug 29, 2014 5:08 PM EDT
A report of an ebola patient in Senegal is the latest worrying sign that the virus is spreading. What more can health experts do? Infectious disease expert Dr. Frank Esper discusses on the News Hub with ...
- [video] NFL to Toughen Stance on Domestic Abuse @ MarketWatch - Fri, Aug 29, 2014 5:05 PM EDT
The NFL announced stiffer penalties for domestic-violence incidents among players. WSJ sports editor Geoff Foster discusses on the News Hub with Sara Murray.
- Apple’s iWatch needs to set the right price @ MarketWatch - Fri, Aug 29, 2014 5:00 PM EDT
As Apple moves into smartwatches, picking the right price point is crucial not just for the company, but for the industry.
- Passive investing will keep gaining ground: Vanguard expert @ MarketWatch - Fri, Aug 29, 2014 4:56 PM EDT
Passive investing still has ‘tremendous runways,’ says Chris Philips, a senior analyst at Vanguard.
- Apple may enter mobile payments; Tesla enters China @ MarketWatch - Fri, Aug 29, 2014 4:52 PM EDT
Apple, Tesla, iDreamSky technology in focus for Tuesday.
- S&P 500 rises to record, nabs best month since February @ MarketWatch - Fri, Aug 29, 2014 4:50 PM EDT
U.S. stocks finish higher in light trading Friday as the S&P 500 achieves its best August performance in 14 years.
- Apple continues to rise on iPhone hype @ MarketWatch - Fri, Aug 29, 2014 4:49 PM EDT
Apple reached a 52-week high as anticipation swelled over the coming iPhone 6.
- Treasury yields notch largest monthly gain since January @ MarketWatch - Fri, Aug 29, 2014 4:35 PM EDT
The 10-year U.S. Treasury yield declined 0.214% for the month, the largest monthly decline since January.
- Oil gains on Russia-Ukraine tensions @ MarketWatch - Fri, Aug 29, 2014 4:34 PM EDT
Nymex crude-oil futures rise 2.5% over the week but still end August with losses..
- [video] Photos of the Week: Surfing Hurricane Waves, and More @ MarketWatch - Fri, Aug 29, 2014 4:32 PM EDT
In this week’s photos, hurricane waves affected surfing conditions, an earthquake hit Napa, Calif., people mourned at the funeral of Michael Brown and more. Photo: Associated Press
- Dollar ends month higher against euro, yen @ MarketWatch - Fri, Aug 29, 2014 4:31 PM EDT
The dollar finishes August higher against the euro and yen, buttressed by strong U.S. economic data and the growing threat of open war between Russia and Ukraine.
- IMF board says it has 'confidence' in Lagarde's ability to do her job @ MarketWatch - Fri, Aug 29, 2014 4:30 PM EDT
WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- The executive board of the International Monetary Fund said on Friday it is still has confidence in the ability of Managing Director Christine Lagarde to do her job. Lagarde ...
- What to watch for in Hovnanian’s earnings @ MarketWatch - Fri, Aug 29, 2014 4:26 PM EDT
Investors will be watching to see if Hovnanian can turn things around when it reports fiscal third-quarter results Thursday morning, following two-straight quarters of disappointing results and a sharp ...
- [video] Bacon: A Tribute @ MarketWatch - Fri, Aug 29, 2014 4:20 PM EDT
In honor of International Bacon Day, the WSJ video team extends this delicious tribute to you, Bacon.
- [video] Scenes From Liberia's Ebola Epicenter @ MarketWatch - Fri, Aug 29, 2014 4:18 PM EDT
The neighborhood of West Point, in Liberia's capital of Monrovia, is an Ebola epicenter. But few there are taking precautions against the disease, and the country's health system is too overwhelmed to ...