- Berkshire Hathaway Q2 profit rose 10.5% @ MarketWatch - 11 hours ago
NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Inc. saw operating profit increase by 10.5% in the second-quarter. Berkshire reported a profit of $6.4 billion, or $3,889 per Class A share, ...
- Updates, advisories and surprises @ MarketWatch - 11 hours ago
A roundup of the latest corporate earnings reports and what companies are saying about future quarters.
- [video] U.S.’s Afghan Drawdown Upends Economy in Peshawar, Pakistan @ MarketWatch - 12 hours ago
In Peshawar, Pakistan, the economic boom enjoyed during the height of the U.S. war in Afghanistan has waned since the drawdown of American forces. Plus, the rise of the Pakistani Taliban is forcing businesses ...
- [video] How Has U.S. Shifted Its Position on Middle East? @ MarketWatch - 12 hours ago
As eruptions of violence shake the Gaza Strip, Syria and Iraq, how has the U.S.’s position changed, and what might the next years look like? WSJ’s Matt Bradley joins Paul Vigna on the News Hub. Photo: ...
- [video] Does the Free Market Exist in China? @ MarketWatch - 12 hours ago
There are lessons to be learned from the Microsoft raid in China and it has U.S. firms on edge. WSJ assistant managing editor John Bussey joins the News Hub with Paul Vigna. Photo: Getty Images.
- [video] Procter & Gamble to Shed More Than Half Its Brands @ MarketWatch - 12 hours ago
P&G will focus on 70 to 80 consumer brands, including Tide detergent and Pampers diapers, that collectively generate around 90% of the company's sales and 95% of its profits. Andrew Dowell discusses on ...
- Twitter debates the important issue — whether Obama should have said U.S. 'tortured folks' @ MarketWatch - 12 hours ago
The U.S. has largely moved on from the debate over torture to prevent terrorism. But it clearly hasn't moved on from the issue of how to characterize it.
- Stocks build on losses; S&P 500 suffers biggest weekly drop in 2 years: live blog recap @ MarketWatch - 12 hours ago
We're live blogging all the action in the stock market on Friday, as investors digest a weaker-than-expected jobs report and Thursday's big selloff.
- LinkedIn, Mobileye soar; GoPro skids @ MarketWatch - 13 hours ago
LinkedIn surges in wake of quarterly results while Mobileye soars on market debut.
- LinkedIn, Expedia rise in otherwise weak tech session @ MarketWatch - 13 hours ago
Online professional-services leader, Internet travel agency open August with big gains.
- Don't expect U.S. to follow California's lead on Obamacare rates, chief says @ MarketWatch - 13 hours ago
While premium hikes may not be as high as feared, don't expect the rest of the nation to follow California's lead on 2015 Obamacare rates, one official says.
- Obama mystified by House Republican opposition to Ex-Im bank @ MarketWatch - 13 hours ago
WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) - President Barack Obama on Friday said he was mystified by House Republican opposition to the Export-Import Bank. "We will lose business and we will lose jobs" if Congress ...
- [audio] Newscast: Stocks post steep weekly losses @ MarketWatch - 13 hours ago
Stocks narrow losses for the day but Thursday selloff leaves major indexes in a deep hole for the week. Adrienne Mitchell reports.
- Oil falls further under $100, loses 4% on week @ MarketWatch - 13 hours ago
Oil futures lose ground, falling further below $100 and amassing losses of 4% on the week, their highest weekly drop in seven months.
- Allergan files suit, accuses Valeant and Ackman of insider trading @ MarketWatch - 13 hours ago
The takeover battle between suitor Valeant Pharmaceuticals and Allergan Inc. has spilled over into the courts with Allergan filing a federal lawsuit Friday against Valeant.
- Ignore the bears and you could bank a 22% stock market gain @ MarketWatch - 13 hours ago
The bad news bears are back in town, and that could be good news for U.S. stock market bulls, writes Jonathan Burton.
- [video] President Obama: Health Agencies Working to Combat Ebola @ MarketWatch - 13 hours ago
In a press conference Friday, President Obama said the CDC and other U.S. health agencies are working with the World Health Organization to send a surge of resources to Africa to contain the Ebola outbreak. ...
- What happens when your favorite books are written in emoji @ MarketWatch - 13 hours ago
While most of your friends on Twitter were griping about the fact that Facebook was down, bookworms and emoji-speakers have joined forces to translate your favorite book titles into emoji-speak.
- July car sales: SUVs' breakout month @ MarketWatch - 13 hours ago
Sport utility vehicles and crossovers, their slimmed-down offspring, are back in a big way. July car sales data proved it. Here's why they are suddenly surging in popularity with the American public.
- As Adidas struggles, analysts say it's time to buy Nike @ MarketWatch - 13 hours ago
Should Nike feel Adidas' pain? Nike Inc. share have dropped for a second straight day after its top rival Adidas cut its profit outlook on Thursday. Adidas, fresh from basking in the World Cup glow from ...
- [audio] At the NYSE, Larry Kofsky previews the week ahead @ MarketWatch - 13 hours ago
It's a hot and sleep time on Wall Street. Larry Kofsky has a look ahead.
- 5 takeaways from Tesla’s results @ MarketWatch - 13 hours ago
Here’s what you need to know about Tesla’s second-quarter results, and beyond.
- [video] President Obama: Israel Has a Right to Defend Itself @ MarketWatch - 13 hours ago
In a press conference Friday, President Obama said Israel has a right to defend itself from rocket fire and underground tunnels dug by Hamas, but that the killing of civilians in Gaza needs to stop. Photo: ...
- What to do when both stock and bond yields are so low @ MarketWatch - 13 hours ago
Historically, there have been times when the stock market’s dividend yield was low. There have also been times of modest bond yields. What’s unusual about today is that we have both at the same time.
- Google's plan for a high-tech barge in New York sinks @ MarketWatch - 13 hours ago
Google has sold the barge that it reportedly planned to turn into a high-tech showroom in New York.
- The jobs report is not good enough to boost housing @ MarketWatch - 14 hours ago
The labor market is improving — but the property market, not so much.
- Valeant calls Allergan lawsuit 'frivolous' @ MarketWatch - 14 hours ago
LOS ANGELES (MarketWatch) -- Valeant Pharmaceuticals International Inc. on Friday called Allergan Inc.'s filing of a federal lawsuit "frivolous" and said it was an effort to interfere with the ...
- Dow falls further, faces largest weekly loss in 6 months @ MarketWatch - 14 hours ago
U.S. stocks on Friday added to the prior session’s losses, keeping the Dow industrials on track for their biggest weekly drop in more than six months.
- U.S. adds 209,000 jobs in July to keep hot streak intact @ MarketWatch - 14 hours ago
The U.S. in July gained more than 200,000 jobs for the sixth straight month, signaling the economy is likely to sustain its momentum through the summer months. The economy added 209,000 jobs while the ...
- Obama: Congressional inaction slowing economy down @ MarketWatch - 14 hours ago
WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) - President Barack Obama on Friday said recent data show the economy's engine is humming but growth is still being held back by congressional inaction on immigration, a hike in ...
- [video] Spanish Town Celebrates New Year's in August @ MarketWatch - 14 hours ago
Twenty years ago, a power outage ruined New Year's for the small Spanish town of Bérchules forcing the event to be held in late August. It has been a tradition ever since. WSJ's Matt Moffett reports.
- [video] Photos of the Day - Gas Explosions Tear Up Taiwan @ MarketWatch - 14 hours ago
In today's pictures, members of a group of international experts inspect the wreckage at the site of downed flight MH17 in Ukraine, female cadets battle in Colorado, a child plays on an interactive playground ...
- History says don't count on a big correction anytime soon @ MarketWatch - 14 hours ago
The rally from the last correction is actually "fairly typical" outside of long recessions and crises, says this Wall Street bull.
- [video] Five Ways 3-D Printing Can Change Your Life @ MarketWatch - 14 hours ago
3-D printing technology could change how we do everything from packing for trips to what’s made in our kitchens. Take a look at how five 3-D printed products can change your life.
- Wal-Mart indicator warns bulls of deflation pulse @ MarketWatch - 14 hours ago
Mega-cap Wal-Mart often serves as a canary in the cole mine when fears of deflation start to enter the market, so what the stock is doing right now speaks volumes about investor sentiment.
- Avoid the mistakes small investors make at market tops @ MarketWatch - 14 hours ago
When a market tops, small investors often let emotion take over, and when that happens a common set of errors start to take place that can end up wiping out all of their gains from the run up.
- Why PB&J should be the ‘sandwich of the summer’ @ MarketWatch - 14 hours ago
Parents, stop making your kids patty melts, BLTs and ham-and-cheese sandwiches — that is, if you want to save money.
- [video] WHO Warns Ebola Consequences Could Be Severe, and More @ MarketWatch - 14 hours ago
What's News: WHO warns that the ebola outbreak in West Africa is spreading faster than efforts to contain it. Proctor and Gamble announces it will shed more than half of its brands. Hiring by U.S. employers ...
- Gold snaps losing streak after jobs data @ MarketWatch - 14 hours ago
Gold futures snaps a three-day losing streak as the U.S. dollar lost ground after data showed the economy added fewer jobs than expected in July.
- [audio] Newscast: Stocks back near flat line @ MarketWatch - 15 hours ago
Stocks struggle back but still extend Thursday's losses. Famous football city is the most pampered. Adrienne Mitchell reports.
- Iliad founder sees huge potential in U.S. market @ MarketWatch - 15 hours ago
Xavier Niel, in interview, says he would slash customer prices at T-Mobile U.S.
- Modest job growth, but wages have yet to budge @ MarketWatch - 15 hours ago
The job market continues to improve, but millions of Americans still find themselves left in the lurch, writes Adam Hersh.
- GoPro retreats as valuation worries trump earnings @ MarketWatch - 15 hours ago
SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- GoPro Inc. is headed south on Friday despite reporting strong quarterly earnings as investors became increasingly concerned about its valuation. The wearable camcorder company ...
- [video] Don't Be a Grouch: Complain Online, Get Money Back? @ MarketWatch - 15 hours ago
Marketwatch's Charles Passy joins digits with tips for complaining online to get your point across, not go overboard and, in some cases, get money back. He complained online and got $1,200 back. Photo: ...
- [video] Opinion: Justice Ginsburg’s Hobby Lobby Politicking @ MarketWatch - 15 hours ago
Editorial Board Member Joe Rago on Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s views on religious freedom. Photo: Getty Images
- When something is expensive, sell It @ MarketWatch - 15 hours ago
With Thursdays’ selloff, put prices have gotten more expensive, so for those who are longer-term bulls, there are some put plays that may be in order.
- [video] Opinion: The Great War’s Strategic Lessons @ MarketWatch - 15 hours ago
Hudson Institute Senior Fellow Arthur Herman on how “leading from behind” could trigger another global conflict. Photo: Getty Images
- [video] Opinion: Volatility Makes a Comeback @ MarketWatch - 15 hours ago
Business World Columnist Holman Jenkins Jr. on why markets are confused by U.S. economic data on jobs, housing and inflation. Photo: Getty Images
- [video] Opinion: Is the Sports TV Bubble Finally Popping? @ MarketWatch - 15 hours ago
Business World Columnist Holman Jenkins Jr. on whether companies like Time Warner Cable overpaid for rights to broadcast live sports. Photo: Getty Images
- [video] Opinion: What Really Triggered World War I? @ MarketWatch - 15 hours ago
Hudson Institute Senior Fellow Arthur Herman on how Europe’s weak system of military alliances and Great Britain’s “splendid isolation” caused the outbreak of World War I. Photo: Getty Images