- AT&T, Time Warner in Merger Talks @ MarketWatch - 3 hours ago
AT&T is in advanced talks to acquire Time Warner, a potential deal that would create a major media conglomerate which combines wireless and pay-television subscribers with extensive content from HBO and ...
- Drone startup funding crashes @ MarketWatch - 6 hours ago
Drone startups hoping to snag venture capital funding may have hit some turbulence.
- British American Tobacco Offers $47 Billion for Reynolds @ MarketWatch - 6 hours ago
British American Tobacco PLC made a $47 billion takeover offer to buy the 58% of Reynolds American it has yet to acquire, to create the world's largest tobacco company. WSJ's Lee Hawkins explains.
- Take a tour of Alexander Hamilton’s archives at the Bank of New York Mellon @ MarketWatch - 6 hours ago
In early October, The Bank of New York Mellon Corp. invited MarketWatch to its corporate headquarters to take a tour of its archives, which include many relics from its founder, Alexander Hamilton.
- Poll: Millennials desperately need to bone up on the history of communism @ MarketWatch - 7 hours ago
Youth today understandably tend to zig where prior generations zag, and that definitely appears to hold true when it comes to their perceptions of socialism and communism.
- Donald Trump Lookalike Highlights New Photo Exhibit @ MarketWatch - 7 hours ago
Photographer Alison Jackson, whose work explores the cult of celebrity, joins Lunch Break with Tanya Rivero and discusses her portfolio in which she uses lookalikes portraying public figures in private ...
- Obscure and rare chart pattern warns ‘uptrend is over’ @ MarketWatch - 7 hours ago
The Dow Jones Industrial Average’s decadeslong streak of closing below the 50-day moving average without falling enough to touch its 200-day moving average, coupled with some bearish breadth readings, ...
- How to Inspire More Girls to Seek Tech Jobs @ MarketWatch - 7 hours ago
While digital and tech jobs are in high demand, the number of women in computing will continue to fall over the next decade. Accenture's Julie Sweet and Girls Who Code founder and CEO Reshma Saujani join ...
- Stock-market volume may be blamed on Trump and Clinton @ MarketWatch - 7 hours ago
The level of trading activity in the stock market, as gauged by composite volumes on the New York Stock Exchange, is at its lowest since the beginning of the year, according to FactSet data
- Getting Squeezed in Mosul, ISIS Attacks Kirkuk @ MarketWatch - 7 hours ago
Islamic State militants launched several attacks in the city of Kirkuk on Friday in an apparent attempt to draw forces away from an offensive on its Iraqi stronghold in Mosul. Photo: Getty
- Dow, S&P 500 limp to the close, but stocks end string of weekly losses @ MarketWatch - 8 hours ago
Stocks end Friday mostly flat as sentiment was torn between disappointing GE earnings and strong results from both McDonald’s and Microsoft.
- If a driverless car gets into an accident, whose fault is it? @ MarketWatch - 8 hours ago
With driverless cars expected in a few years, who will take responsibility in an accident?
- Here’s proof that an all-stock portfolio doesn’t really pay off @ MarketWatch - 8 hours ago
It turns out that all-equity portfolios barely outperform a mix of stocks and bonds, says Mark Hulbert.
- AT&T-Time Warner talks could set off deal frenzy @ MarketWatch - 8 hours ago
Apple approached Time Warner about possible merger, but discussions didn’t progress, sources say. Apple now monitoring the current situation.
- Bank founded by Alexander Hamilton embraces its newly hip heritage @ MarketWatch - 8 hours ago
Bank of New York Mellon, founded by Alexander Hamilton, is taking advantage of the interest fanned by Broadway’s hottest musical.
- WSJ Opinion Picks of the Week @ MarketWatch - 8 hours ago
Editorial Board Member Mary Kissel wraps up this week’s commentary and highlights her top picks.
- Six solid dividend stocks unfairly punished by investors @ MarketWatch - 8 hours ago
Instead of chasing performance, investors might want to consider these jilted darlings, says Phil van Doorn.
- Wall Street’s 15 favorite energy stocks as oil prices rebound @ MarketWatch - 8 hours ago
There are signs of better times ahead for U.S. energy producers, says Phil van Doorn.
- Creepy or cute? Cleveland Indians fans nearly buy out pitcher’s wedding registry @ MarketWatch - 8 hours ago
Not content to hug their kids or buy a round, grateful Cleveland Indians fans thanked needed some outlet for their appreciation.
- Index funds can be inferior to active funds in two crucial ways @ MarketWatch - 8 hours ago
The careful selection of dividend stocks can pave the way to a growing income stream, says Phil van Doorn.
- $147 billion mutual fund’s performance makes a case for active management @ MarketWatch - 8 hours ago
An overextended bull market in stocks is distorting investors’ expectations, says Phil van Doorn.
- Weekend roundup: Advantages of diversified portfolios | You probably expect too much from investments … @ MarketWatch - 8 hours ago
Here are MarketWatch articles to read this weekend
- Opinion Journal: Hillary Clinton’s Morocco Mess @ MarketWatch - 8 hours ago
Government Accountability Institute President Peter Schweizer on the conflict of interest between the candidate, the Clinton Foundation and an African king. Photo credit: Getty Images.
- Opinion Journal: AT&T Wants to Be the Next Comcast @ MarketWatch - 8 hours ago
Business World Columnist Holman Jenkins Jr. on the proposed tie-up between AT&T and Time Warner Inc. Photo credit: Getty Images.
- Opinion Journal: Tough Times for Hedge Funds @ MarketWatch - 8 hours ago
Business World Columnist Holman Jenkins Jr. on why state pension funds and other investors are shunning the once-booming business. Photo credit: Associated Press.
- Opinion Journal: Immigrants Built This City @ MarketWatch - 8 hours ago
Associate Book Review Editor Bari Weiss on Tyler Anbinder’s magisterial new history of New York City’s immigrants, “City of Dreams.”
- Gas prices haven’t done this in more than 2 years @ MarketWatch - 9 hours ago
Gasoline prices at the pump are poised to climb above their year-ago levels for the first time in more than two years, according to the Oil Price Information Service.
- My stepmother stopped speaking to me after I refused to spend a week with my ailing father @ MarketWatch - 9 hours ago
This woman wants her husband’s children to stay while she takes a vacation.
- Auto insurers aren’t ready for self-driving cars and do yourself a favor, get a flu shot @ MarketWatch - 9 hours ago
Friday's top personal finance stories
- Dollar gauge jumps to 8-month high as euro retreats @ MarketWatch - 9 hours ago
The U.S. dollar on Friday strengthen to its highest level against its most of its major rivals in about eight months as major European currencies were still swooning.
- U.S. stocks end lower after weak batch of earnings @ MarketWatch - 9 hours ago
U.S. stocks edged lower on Friday after a weak batch of corporate earnings weighed on the broader market. Travelers Cos. Inc and Verizon Communications weighed on the Dow Jones Industrial Average , sending ...
- Oil futures score a fifth-straight weekly gain @ MarketWatch - 9 hours ago
Oil futures finish modestly higher, with prices in New York marking a fifth-consecutive weekly gain.
- The stock market is caught deep inside ‘no man’s land’ @ MarketWatch - 9 hours ago
With no true bottom in site to settle those with a bearish view and insufficient signs from the latest crop of quarterly earnings reports to arouse the animal spirits that might help equities clamber definitively ...
- 10-year Treasury yield posts largest weekly drop in a month @ MarketWatch - 9 hours ago
Treasury yields followed Japanese and European rates lower on Friday, with the 10-year yield posting its largest weekly drop in a month.
- Election 2016 Siphoning Audiences From TV, Books, Movies @ MarketWatch - 9 hours ago
Americans' binge-watching obsession with the 2016 presidential election has siphoned audiences away from NFL games and the fall TV season to the point that marketers are taking evasive action. WSJ's John ...
- Strong dollar means danger for GE, other industrials @ MarketWatch - 9 hours ago
Earnings have become a bit of a problem for the sector, and the charts aren’t showing a lot of optimism either, suggesting that those who are looking for a turnaround story should look elsewhere for now....
- PayPal poised to gain more marketshare, move into tech, analysts say @ MarketWatch - 9 hours ago
Shares of PayPal Holding Inc. soared to a record high Friday, as analysts see a stable outlook for the company maintaining and possibly surpassing its position as a leader in e-commerce payments.
- Weekend Sip: Macallan's New Scotch for Millennials @ MarketWatch - 9 hours ago
Scotch producers' experimentation with different types of wood highlights the Weekend Sip. WSJ's Charles Passy pours Macallan's newest double-cask, single-malt Scotch on Lunch Break with Tanya Rivero. ...
- Pot, minimum wage and plastic bags: Your guide to 2016’s hot ballot measures @ MarketWatch - 9 hours ago
On Nov. 8, Americans won’t just get their say on Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump: voters will weigh in on a slew of ballot measures concerning everything from minimum wage to marijuana.
- Fed to vote on plan to collect data on bank bond-trading @ MarketWatch - 9 hours ago
WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) - The Federal Reserve announced Friday it will vote on a plan to collect data from banks on government-bond trading. The collection of this secondary market data "would allow ...
- Tyler Perry and Tom Cruise films go head-to-head at weekend box office @ MarketWatch - 10 hours ago
With four new wide releases this weekend and a handful of limited ones, it’s a crowded weekend for movies at the box office.
- GE’s earnings report can still frustrate investors, reporters @ MarketWatch - 10 hours ago
General Electric has become more consistent in how it reports earnings, but it still can frustrate investors and reporters who are in a hurry to see the full story.
- Head Shrinking the Mental Problems of Millennials @ MarketWatch - 10 hours ago
MarketWatch's Emma Court joins Catey Hill and Quentin Fottrell to discuss the unique mental problems of millennials and whether or not they need their own specialized therapists.
- Oil futures gain 1% for the week @ MarketWatch - 10 hours ago
Oil futures finished a bit higher on Friday to gain about 1% for the week amid optimism that major crude producers will reach a firm deal late next month to curb output. Prices have now posted gains for ...
- Fed’s Williams says gradual rate hikes needed with economy in ‘good shape’ @ MarketWatch - 10 hours ago
San Francisco Fed President John Williams renewed his call for gradual pace of interest rate hikes, saying it was needed to keep the economy on sound footing
- Gold futures tally a 1% gain for the week @ MarketWatch - 10 hours ago
Gold futures finish a few cents higher Friday to notch a gain of roughly 1% for the week.
- The outlook for U.S. energy companies looks brighter ahead of earnings @ MarketWatch - 10 hours ago
Sustained recovery in oil prices and positive third-quarter results are likely to lift energy stocks.
- Is it finally time for the inflation trade? @ MarketWatch - 10 hours ago
Investors are starting to behave like inflation is ready for a comeback. It could be the start of a big shift.
- DBRS keeps Portugal's credit rating at investment grade @ MarketWatch - 11 hours ago
Portugal maintained its tenuous hold on investment grade status on Friday after DBRS affirmed the country's credit rating at BBB with a stable outlook. However, DBRS warned that Portugal faces challenges ...
- Gold futures post a roughly 1% gain for the week @ MarketWatch - 11 hours ago
Gold futures settled with a slight gain on Friday to tally a weekly climb of roughly 1%. Uncertainty surrounding the U.S. election and the timing of Federal Reserve's next interest-rate hike helped to ...