- Why an Off-the-Field Win for Student Athletes Could Mean Higher College Costs @ Money - 10 hours ago
As the college football season heats up, the action far from the field could eventually raise the costs of fielding teams.
- 9 Food Blogger-Approved Thanksgiving Leftover Hacks @ Money - 11 hours ago
When you're tired of turkey sandwiches -- and you know you will be -- we've got you covered with tasty alternative ways to use your Thanksgiving leftovers.
- The 5 Hottest Toys This Holiday Season @ Money - Wed, Nov 26, 2014 1:22 PM EST
The upcoming holiday shopping season is crucial for the U.S. toy industry, and early data supplied to Fortune suggests Disney’s “Frozen,” as well as electronics such as Xbox One and the Skylanders game, ...
- Thanksgiving Shopping: By the Numbers @ Money - Wed, Nov 26, 2014 12:50 PM EST
More than 140 million Americans are expected to shop on Black Friday, while some plan to get great deals online on Cyber Monday.
- I Ate Thanksgiving Dinner With My Identity Thief for 19 Years @ Money - Wed, Nov 26, 2014 12:41 PM EST
Axton Betz-Hamilton was shocked to discover the truth about her mother.
- Best Black Friday Deals You Can Get Without Leaving Home @ Money - Wed, Nov 26, 2014 12:40 PM EST
Since Black Friday sales now start on Thanksgiving, or even the week before, it sorta makes sense that e-retailers have launched huge Cyber Monday-like sales already.
- 20 Private Colleges With the Highest Student Loan Debt @ Money - Wed, Nov 26, 2014 12:15 PM EST
A new report shows which schools leave students with the worst debt upon graduation.
- Why Index Funds Are Like Cheap TVs at Walmart @ Money - Wed, Nov 26, 2014 12:06 PM EST
You can get a great deal on exchange-traded funds tracking large stock indexes. But watch out for the extra spending that can pile up.
- Lazy Bargain Hunters Are Hiring People to Wait in Black Friday Lines @ Money - Wed, Nov 26, 2014 11:43 AM EST
For $20 an hour, you can hire someone to save your spot in line
- Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda: What You Can Learn From the Top 3 Pre-Retirement Mistakes @ Money - Wed, Nov 26, 2014 10:30 AM EST
Researchers recently asked people nearing retirement what specific things they wish they'd done differently to better prepare for their post-career lives. Here's your chance to go to school on their answers....
- The Staggering Cost of a Hipster Thanksgiving — and Other Pricey Alternatives to the Classic Feast @ Money - Wed, Nov 26, 2014 10:29 AM EST
The average Thanksgiving dinner for a party of 10 costs about $50. But who wants a holiday meal that's merely average?
- Stop Making These 5 Shopping Mistakes And You Won’t Overspend! @ Money - Wed, Nov 26, 2014 6:29 AM EST
Shoppers feel smart when they've snagged a great bargain. But during the frenzy of sales on Black Friday and the holidays, it's common for bargain hunters to make dumb mistakes that wind up costing them ...
- 12% of Black Friday Shoppers Will Be Drunk (and More Crazy Facts About the Holiday Frenzy) @ Money - Wed, Nov 26, 2014 6:00 AM EST
How many people will go shopping this weekend? What day actually has the best deals? How much will the average shopper spend? How many of them are tipsy while they're browsing for gifts?
- Amazon Launches Competitor to Angie’s List and Yelp @ Money - Tue, Nov 25, 2014 4:40 PM EST
Amazon is testing a home contractor recommendation service that puts the e-commerce giant in competition with sites like Yelp, Angie's List and Craigslist.
- Thrift Store Chain Accused of Misleading Public on Charity Donations @ Money - Tue, Nov 25, 2014 4:34 PM EST
Minnesota Attorney General Lori Swanson says the for-profit Savers thrift chain keeps most of the money it gets from selling items people have donated to charity.
- 103-Year-Old Texas Woman Fights to Keep Her House @ Money - Tue, Nov 25, 2014 3:18 PM EST
An elderly woman is battling a bank that's trying to foreclosure on her.
- 7 Things to Know About Thanksgiving Shopping Boycotts @ Money - Tue, Nov 25, 2014 3:10 PM EST
Hundreds of thousands of Americans are up in arms about stores like Walmart and Target being open on Thanksgiving. What kind of impact will their protests have?
- Closing the loophole behind $10 million tax-free retirement accounts Money - Tue, Nov 25, 2014 1:18 PM EST
- Can Ferguson Recover? The Lasting Economic Impact of Violent Unrest @ Money - Tue, Nov 25, 2014 12:14 PM EST
The looting and destruction of businesses in Ferguson could have long-term effects.
- Amazon Launches a New Service to Take On Yelp and Angie’s List @ Money - Tue, Nov 25, 2014 12:08 PM EST
The retail giant's latest product aims to match shoppers with service professionals.
- 3 Smart Year-End Moves for Retirement Savers of All Ages @ Money - Tue, Nov 25, 2014 11:19 AM EST
To give your long-term financial security a boost, take one of these steps before December 31.
- 5 Strategies for Surviving the Coming Thanksgiving Travel Nightmare @ Money - Tue, Nov 25, 2014 11:18 AM EST
With storms threatening to put your holiday travel plans on ice, don't head to the airport unprepared. Instead, go on the defensive with these moves.
- Nobel Prize-Winning Economist Explains How to Dramatically Improve Your Investment Performance @ Money - Tue, Nov 25, 2014 11:00 AM EST
Stop thinking that you're smart enough to beat the market.
- Barbie Is No Longer the Most Popular Girl at the Toy Store @ Money - Tue, Nov 25, 2014 10:03 AM EST
Princesses Elsa and Anna will now share the crown
- Do You Really Need Medigap Insurance If You’re in Good Health? @ Money - Tue, Nov 25, 2014 6:00 AM EST
Q: We are in good health and have a Medigap Plan N for 2014. With same expected health in 2015, do we need anything more than Medicare A, B, and D plans? —Norbert & Sue A: Medigap, a private insurance ...
- Money Makeover: Married 20-Somethings With $135,000 in Debt—And Roommates @ Money - Tue, Nov 25, 2014 6:00 AM EST
A young couple gets some advice on how to save for the future even while saddled with loads of student debt.
- Why This Married Couple Lives With Roommates @ Money - Tue, Nov 25, 2014 6:00 AM EST
The Liebhards have $135,000 in student debt and counting. That's led them to an unusual living situation.
- Meet The People Who Work On Thanksgiving (So You Don’t Have To) @ Money - Tue, Nov 25, 2014 6:00 AM EST
Here's what the people forced to work on Thanksgiving have to say.
- 8 Free Apps Guaranteed to Make You More Productive @ Money - Tue, Nov 25, 2014 6:00 AM EST
Looking for a quicker way to burn through your to-do list? Try these tools to amp up your efficiency.
- The Easy Fix for an Incredibly Common and Costly Retirement Mistake @ Money - Tue, Nov 25, 2014 6:00 AM EST
New proof that just showing up is half the investing game.
- When It Is—and Isn’t—Okay to Text Your Boss @ Money - Mon, Nov 24, 2014 5:23 PM EST
Q: Is it okay to text my boss? A: The answer depends the signals you’ve received in the past from your supervisor and on the information you’re trying to convey. With the rapid rise in smartphone usage ...
- California Students Continue Tuition-Hike Protests @ Money - Mon, Nov 24, 2014 5:13 PM EST
Protests at University of California campuses continued Monday with students at UC Berkeley planning a class walkout and march.
- How to Pay Off Student Loans Without Surviving on Ramen @ Money - Mon, Nov 24, 2014 3:19 PM EST
Recent grads: You don't need to live off instant noodles or buy only the cheapest beer. What you really need is a plan.
- Why It’s So Tough To Find Out the True Cost of College @ Money - Mon, Nov 24, 2014 2:30 PM EST
Schools are supposed to help prospective students figure out the real price in advance. Actually finding the calculator is another matter.
- Old Navy Changes Plus-Size Clothing Policies in Response to Petition @ Money - Mon, Nov 24, 2014 2:23 PM EST
The Gap-owned retailer is changing how it sells its larger-sized apparel, but women will still have to pay extra.
- Black Friday Is Already Here @ Money - Mon, Nov 24, 2014 12:37 PM EST
Based on the big discounts already in effect at Walmart, Target, Amazon, Gap, Staples, and plenty of other retailers, it looks like Black Friday sales are well underway.
- 7 Tax Credits You Shouldn’t Overlook @ Money - Mon, Nov 24, 2014 12:14 PM EST
Pay all the taxes you owe—but not a penny more.
- Why the War Between Apple and Android is Over @ Money - Mon, Nov 24, 2014 11:57 AM EST
This is Tim Cook's Apple now—and Cook vehemently disdains litigation.
- Surprising Lessons from the Latest Superstar Athlete to Go Broke @ Money - Mon, Nov 24, 2014 10:24 AM EST
In Jonathan Rosen’s 1997 novel Eve’s Apple, a character describes her mother as someone who wanted to “have her kids and eat them, too.” It’s hard not think of such parental malevolence when considering ...
- Great Ways to Spend Black Friday Not at the Mall @ Money - Mon, Nov 24, 2014 6:48 AM EST
Who says you must go shopping on Black Friday? Here's a roundup of suggestions for fun, worthwhile events that take place on the notoriously crazed shopping day—but don't involve shopping at all.
- Millennials, the Best Time to Quit Your Terrible Job is Now @ Money - Mon, Nov 24, 2014 6:30 AM EST
Hating a first job out of college can make anyone feel like a failure. But your early twenties are the best time to take a mulligan.
- The Best Credit Cards for Holiday Shopping @ Money - Mon, Nov 24, 2014 6:00 AM EST
'Tis the season to spend! These cards can help take some of the pain out of your purchases by giving you cash back, protection against price drops and extended warranties.
- Don’t Get Suckered Into Signing Up For These Credit Cards @ Money - Mon, Nov 24, 2014 6:00 AM EST
The sales clerk will try to lure you in with discounts and 0% financing—but may not tell you that the card could ultimately cost you more than it saves you.
- Why a Safe Space Makes for Better Financial Plans @ Money - Mon, Nov 24, 2014 6:00 AM EST
To really help their clients, financial planners need to create an environment -- both physical and conversational -- that's comfortable and reassuring.
- Douglas York @ Money - Mon, Nov 24, 2014 12:01 AM EST
Age: 52 Home state: New York Cause: Financial literacy Fourteen years ago, York’s boss at the New York utility National Grid asked the sales forecaster if he’d volunteer through Junior Achievement to teach ...
- Good News: There’s a New Way to Get Out from Under Student Debt @ Money - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 5:50 PM EST
Wells Fargo and Discover plan to offer new loan modification programs to help borrowers who are suffering temporary financial hardship.
- George Soros Bets $500 Million On Bill Gross @ Money - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 2:05 PM EST
Hedge fund titan George Soros is wagering half a billion dollars that bond king Bill Gross will excel in his new role at Janus.
- China Cuts Interest Rates, Sending Stock, Commodity Markets Higher @ Money - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 12:46 PM EST
Beijing moves to support an economy growing at its slowest rate in five years
- 4 New Ways Movie Theaters Are Filling Seats and Upselling Patrons @ Money - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 12:20 PM EST
The next time you go to a movie theater, you may be coaxed into spending a little extra money—perhaps for a beer, a toy your kid is begging for, or the right to watch the film you just saw over and over....
- The Cost of a Thanksgiving Feast Is Up…Just Barely @ Money - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 11:55 AM EST
Cooking a turkey dinner for ten of your closest friends & family members shouldn't cost too much more than it did last year.