- 5 Ways Scammers are Targeting Last-Minute Holiday Shoppers @ Money - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 4:25 PM EST
The baddies perpetrating these crimes ought to get coal in their stockings. But if you're not careful, they might get your money instead.
- Security Flaws Let Hackers Listen in on Calls @ Money - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 2:02 PM EST
German researchers say the network that allows cellphone carriers to direct calls to one another is full of security holes.
- 4 of the Weirdest Reasons People Have Gone Into Debt @ Money - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 1:04 PM EST
These cautionary tales show how NOT to handle your finances.
- What Smart Parents Teach Their Kids About Debt @ Money - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 11:30 AM EST
Steer your kids in the right direction by teaching them these debt "secrets" and backing them up with practical experience.
- 11 Clever Stocking Stuffers They’ll Never Know Cost Almost Nothing @ Money - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 11:13 AM EST
If you’ve ever struggled to get a good gift at the last minute and, like most Americans, ended up spending way too much as a consequence, do not fear. Here’s a list of $25-and-under presents that will ...
- POLL: Do You Want to Have Your Own Business Someday? @ Money - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 11:01 AM EST
Are you the entrepreneurial type, or do you prefer a steady paycheck from the boss? Let us know.
- ‘The Interview’ Poster Now Listed at $1,000 on eBay @ Money - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 10:40 AM EST
After Sony cancelled the release of the controversial Seth Rogen movie The Interview , some collectors are thinking posters of the film are worth big bucks.
- How College Costs Will Change in 2015 @ Money - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 10:29 AM EST
Although college costs are still increasing, they're increasing at a much lower rate than they have in recent years. Interest rates and repayment for federal loans have eased as well.
- How to Invest an Inheritance @ Money - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 10:12 AM EST
Q: I’m 22 years old and inherited quite a bit of money from a parent who passed away. What is the best thing to do with the money in terms of investing and long-term growth? — Val Step One: Before all ...
- Here’s How the Government Thinks We Should Grade Colleges @ Money - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 8:59 AM EST
Access, affordability, and outcomes are the three most important factors. But how will the government measure them?
- Buying or Selling a Home in 2015? Here’s What You Need to Know @ Money - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 7:00 AM EST
After a boom, a bust, and a bounce, housing finally gets back to "normal."
- Should You Give Your Boss a Holiday Gift? @ Money - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 6:03 AM EST
Q: Should I give my boss a holiday gift? And what about the people who work for me? A: Just over a quarter of workers buy for the boss, according to a survey conducted last winter by staffing company Spherion. ...
- Cuba’s Classic Cars May Be Available, But Are They Worth Anything? @ Money - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 6:00 AM EST
Cuba is home to a trove of classic American cars, but the ingenuity that has kept them running may have ruined their value.
- Who Do You Tip Around the Holidays? @ Money - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 6:00 AM EST
The mailman, the newspaper delivery boy and the doorman. Who do you tip, and do you give cash or an actual gift? MONEY's George Mannes asks people in New York about their annual tipping tradition.
- Top 10 Strangest Things Marketers Tried to Sell Us in 2014 @ Money - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 6:00 AM EST
Our look back at some of the year's strangest products may seem laughable or a sad source of embarrassment—depending on whether you actually bought any of them.
- 7 Ways Tech Made Your Life Better in 2014 @ Money - Thu, Dec 18, 2014 9:13 PM EST
A new reason to ditch your cellphone contract, safer credit cards, and five more bright ideas that can help you save money in the year ahead.
- What the New Cuba Agreement Means for Travel and Cigars @ Money - Thu, Dec 18, 2014 7:40 PM EST
The new deal eases restrictions on traveling to the country and allows Americans to bring home some of those famous cigars.
- 4 Things to Know About (Legal) Cuban Cigars @ Money - Thu, Dec 18, 2014 5:26 PM EST
For the time being, it still won't be easy to procure legal Cuban cigars.
- Why Getting Mental-Health Coverage Can Be So Tough @ Money - Thu, Dec 18, 2014 2:04 PM EST
Despite rules mandating better insurance benefits, finding care remains a challenge, a new 50-state report concludes.
- What Retirees Need to Know about the New Federal Pension Rules @ Money - Thu, Dec 18, 2014 11:18 AM EST
Only a small percentage of retirees are directly affected by the new rule. But future legislation may lead to more pension cutbacks.
- Free Shipping Day Deals: Better Than Black Friday and Cyber Monday? @ Money - Thu, Dec 18, 2014 11:11 AM EST
Thursday, December 18, is Free Shipping Day, when more than 1,000 retailers are offering free shipping on all orders—and sometimes an extra 50% off on top of that.
- Thinking About a Trip to Cuba? 5 Things You Should Know @ Money - Thu, Dec 18, 2014 9:42 AM EST
Yesterday's announcement that the U.S. will loosen restrictions on visiting Cuba has some travelers in tizzy. By all means, pack your bags—but read this first.
- The Right Way to Claim Social Security Widow’s Benefits @ Money - Thu, Dec 18, 2014 7:00 AM EST
Q. I am 61 and was divorced from my husband two years ago after more than 16 years of marriage. He died a few months ago at 72 and had been receiving Social Security benefits of $1,663 a month. I am working ...
- How Health Care Is Changing for 2015 @ Money - Thu, Dec 18, 2014 6:00 AM EST
A focus on preventive care, wellness programs, and insurance updates are the main health care changes coming to employer-sponsored programs in 2015.
- This Is the Toughest Threat to Boomers’ Retirement Plans @ Money - Thu, Dec 18, 2014 6:00 AM EST
Most employers say they support older workers. But boomers don't see it, and age discrimination cases are on the rise.
- The Secret to Cheap Gifts People Will Actually Cherish @ Money - Wed, Dec 17, 2014 10:00 PM EST
Forget gift cards or store-bought knickknacks that will just get regifted. The best presents come with something money can't buy.
- Americans Are Giving Cold Cereal the Cold Shoulder @ Money - Wed, Dec 17, 2014 5:42 PM EST
Reports show industry-wide declines in the longtime breakfast staple.
- Uber Promises to Improve Safety Using New Technology @ Money - Wed, Dec 17, 2014 3:37 PM EST
Uber's safety chief is promising to improve driver screening using things like "biometrics and voice verification."
- Japan’s McDonald’s Is Running Out of French Fries @ Money - Wed, Dec 17, 2014 3:19 PM EST
A labor dispute leads to a spud shortage in Japan.
- How Much Would Hanukkah Gelt Be Worth If It Were Real Gold? @ Money - Wed, Dec 17, 2014 3:03 PM EST
Inquiring minds want to know.
- Fed Leaves Rates Unchanged, Signals Cautious Stance @ Money - Wed, Dec 17, 2014 2:58 PM EST
The Federal Reserve kept interest rates near zero -- and surprised many by not hinting at higher rates.
- Congress Delivers a Few Last-Minute Tax Breaks @ Money - Wed, Dec 17, 2014 2:43 PM EST
A last-minute bill restores a break for charitable giving, the sales tax and tuition write-offs, and more.
- Faceoff: Are Gift Cards the Ideal Present or a Crime Against Christmas? @ Money - Wed, Dec 17, 2014 12:11 PM EST
MONEY's Jake Davidson and Kara Brandeisky debate whether gift cards make for a good holiday present.
- The Most Terrifying Stat About Student Loan Debt Isn’t What You Think @ Money - Wed, Dec 17, 2014 12:00 PM EST
About half of student loan borrowers underestimate the amount of education debt they have.
- If You Insist on Regifting, Here’s How to Do It @ Money - Wed, Dec 17, 2014 11:31 AM EST
If the present you're planning to pass along doesn't meet these 5 cardinal rules, put down that wrapping paper right now.
- This Town Has More “Nice Days” Than Any Other City in America @ Money - Wed, Dec 17, 2014 11:00 AM EST
San Diego has 261 "pleasant" days a year, according to a new analysis of weather data.
- How Google, Amazon and Apple Are Taking Aim at Your Wallet This Holiday @ Money - Wed, Dec 17, 2014 10:24 AM EST
From Apple Pay and Google Wallet to Amazon's new shopping features, tech companies are making it easier for consumers to part with their cash during the holidays.
- 4 Smart Year-End Strategies for Maximizing Your Health Benefits @ Money - Wed, Dec 17, 2014 10:13 AM EST
In these winter months, don't overlook these valuable health perks—and the crucial deadlines for getting your money's worth.
- How to Keep Stock Gains From Hiking Your Tax Bill @ Money - Wed, Dec 17, 2014 10:10 AM EST
By following a few simple steps, you can make sure gains in your portfolio don't result in a big gain in your tax bill.
- Retirement Savings Options for 2015: More Ways to Save @ Money - Wed, Dec 17, 2014 9:46 AM EST
There will be more options for retirement savers in 2015, including President Obama's new myRA account.
- Home Insurance Policies to Skip @ Money - Wed, Dec 17, 2014 7:00 AM EST
Q: I just bought an $89-per-year insurance policy for our sewer pipe. My wife says these kinds of policies (of which I have quite a few) are a waste of money. What do you say? A: Well, if your sewer pipe ...
- How to Make Money Off Millennials in 2015 @ Money - Wed, Dec 17, 2014 6:00 AM EST
In 2015, the oldest wave of millennials turns (gulp) 35—a milestone with significant implications for the job market, stocks, and the economy at large.
- What Will the Fed Do Today? These Five Numbers Can Tell Us @ Money - Wed, Dec 17, 2014 6:00 AM EST
With the economy and job markets finally looking healthy, the Federal Reserve may signal its first interest rate hike in years.
- Why a Hyped New Lottery Game Went Bust in a Hurry @ Money - Wed, Dec 17, 2014 6:00 AM EST
A new Monopoly-themed lottery game was expected to be popular enough to warrant its own TV show. But the game has already been killed after flopping with lottery players, who often had no clue if they ...
- The Best Last-Minute Holiday Gifts Don’t Need Wrapping! @ Money - Wed, Dec 17, 2014 6:00 AM EST
A growing body of research shows that the best way to make your loved ones happy is giving them real-life experiences, not things.
- What Scrooge Can Teach You About Retirement Planning @ Money - Wed, Dec 17, 2014 6:00 AM EST
Sure, he was tight-fisted. But Scrooge's money habits are a useful model for reaching your retirement goals.
- Chipotle CEO Freely Admits He’s Unsure About the Company’s Future @ Money - Tue, Dec 16, 2014 3:22 PM EST
And that's great news for investors.
- How AT&T and Verizon’s Loss is Your Gain @ Money - Tue, Dec 16, 2014 3:11 PM EST
Get ready for better promotions, lower prices, and more choices.
- Should Debt Collectors Be Able to Use Government Letterhead? @ Money - Tue, Dec 16, 2014 1:55 PM EST
A debt collection company allegedly used government letterhead to contact debtors, which may be illegal.
- New Moves by 3 Tech Giants Aim to Get a Bigger Piece of Your Wallet @ Money - Tue, Dec 16, 2014 1:13 PM EST
Google, Amazon, and Apple are all pushing new tools—and often, encroaching on the turf of competitors—with the hopes of snagging a larger cut of everyday consumer purchases.