- Why Angie’s List Is In Trouble @ Money - 22 minutes ago
Paid memberships at the local business review service Angie's List have been rising for years, and the stock just took off. Even so, reviews of the company's long-term prospects aren't so hot.
- 5 Ways You’re Being Duped by Food & Drink Labels @ Money - 52 minutes ago
Think that "natural" food you're buying is made without artificial ingredients? Think again.
- Lean Out, Don’t Lose Out @ Money - 53 minutes ago
Taking time out from work to care for a loved one can have a serious impact on your finances and your career if you’re not careful.
- Reddit CEO Wants To Give You Stock in the Company @ Money - 15 hours ago
Users of the content-sharing site could get 10% of the company’s stock. Too bad Facebook, now worth $17 billion, didn't have the same idea.
- Gordon Gekko Is Back—Using Another Name @ Money - 16 hours ago
You've been hearing a lot about "activist investors" lately, a fresh bit of Wall Street jargon that may leave you scratching your head. Here's what you need to know about this not-really-new ...
- Kickstarter Backers Are Investors, and It’s Time They Got Used To It @ Money - 17 hours ago
Many Kickstarter users still don't quite understand what they're getting into, or why the site is predicated on risk.
- How to Get Ready to Buy a Home @ Money - 18 hours ago
Checking your credit report and getting pre-approved for a mortgage are key, says Century 21 CEO Rick Davidson.
- Airline Stocks Are Sinking—and Ebola Is Only Partly to Blame @ Money - 19 hours ago
Airline stocks got hammered this morning after the first official case of Ebola was confirmed in a Texas patient. But calm down: Investors have a long history of overreacting to deadly diseases.
- 3 Ways To Prevent Overconfidence from Derailing Your Retirement Plans @ Money - 21 hours ago
You need confidence to plan for the future, but unless you have a realistic view of your skills, you're likely to sabotage your own efforts.
- Choosing a College Major by Age 16 Pays Off. Here’s Why @ Money - 23 hours ago
Forget the old thinking that kids could wait until college to decide a major. Today, they really ought to be making this decision before their junior year of high school. I know what you’re thinking: How ...
- 4 Apps That Will Supercharge Your Productivity @ Money - Wed, Oct 1, 2014 6:30 AM EDT
Not enough hours in the day? These tools can help you get it all done.
- How to Change the World—and Make Some Money Too @ Money - Wed, Oct 1, 2014 6:30 AM EDT
Young adults flock to investments that promote social good. This was a hot topic at a big ideas festival over the weekend and is front and center with financial firms.
- Used Car Prices Are Plummeting. Here’s Why @ Money - Wed, Oct 1, 2014 6:00 AM EDT
When the market for new car sales is hot, smart buyers know to look instead at the overflowing inventory of used cars—a supply that's cheap and getting cheaper.
- 5 Ways to Refresh Your Bathroom On a Budget @ Money - Wed, Oct 1, 2014 6:00 AM EDT
Since bathrooms are typically small spaces, even relatively simple and affordable changes can make a big impact. Here are 5 ways to update an old washroom without breaking the bank.
- When Alimony is Forever @ Money - Tue, Sep 30, 2014 10:28 PM EDT
A good place to start in the long, slow process of reforming alimony laws: payments that last a lifetime.
- What You Need to Know About Medicare Open Enrollment @ Money - Tue, Sep 30, 2014 6:59 PM EDT
Your once-a-year chance to change your drug coverage or switch plans begins in two weeks. Here's what to expect.
- FTC Says Claims for Caffeine Underwear Are Groundless @ Money - Tue, Sep 30, 2014 4:40 PM EDT
The Federal Trade Commission settles with two marketers of caffeine-infused "shapewear" over claims their products promote weight loss.
- Rupert Murdoch Wants to Sell You Your Next Home @ Money - Tue, Sep 30, 2014 2:19 PM EDT
News Corp. has acquired Move Inc., putting Murdoch's business in the thick of the online listings war.
- What Bill Gross’s Pimco Departure Means for Your 401(k) @ Money - Tue, Sep 30, 2014 11:42 AM EDT
The people who tell companies what retirement-plan investments to offer employees are questioning the value of the giant Pimco Total Return bond fund.
- Why You Should Start Preparing for the Next Market Crash @ Money - Tue, Sep 30, 2014 11:14 AM EDT
Today’s valuations aren’t to be taken lightly – here’s what you can do.
- 5 Quick College Diplomas That Can Lead to Good-Paying Jobs @ Money - Tue, Sep 30, 2014 10:50 AM EDT
You don't have to spend four years on a bachelor's degree to get a job that pays at least $40,000 a year. New research from one state identifies several shorter college programs that can lead to lucrative ...
- Why You’ll Never Leave Facebook for Ello @ Money - Tue, Sep 30, 2014 10:26 AM EDT
It’s hard to build a large network using a freemium strategy.
- The Social Security Mistake Even Its Reps Are Making @ Money - Tue, Sep 30, 2014 6:30 AM EDT
The rules surrounding claiming requirements are so complicated that the official source of information doesn't always get them right. Here's some guidance that will save you money—and keep you from settling ...
- This Simple Trick Makes Taking Out the Trash Easier @ Money - Tue, Sep 30, 2014 6:00 AM EDT
You may be tempted to send your trash can to the curb if it isn't functioning well. But now that new bins often run more than $100, first try this trick to improve your current can's performance.
- 3 Industries That Desperately Need Customer Service Makeovers @ Money - Tue, Sep 30, 2014 6:00 AM EDT
Comcast is hardly the only company that should be doing some soul searching and commit—not only with words but actions—to making customer service genuinely better.
- How to Live Well on Less by Retiring Overseas @ Money - Tue, Sep 30, 2014 6:00 AM EDT
Q: I hear a lot about people retiring overseas to make their retirement savings go further. My wife and I are pretty adventurous. But can we really save money retiring in another country? A: Retiring abroad ...
- The Easy Way to Get 5% Cash Back on Everything You Buy @ Money - Tue, Sep 30, 2014 5:30 AM EDT
Maximizing credit card rewards requires you to be tactical, but the payoff is well worth the effort.
- Why Refinancing Your Federal Student Loans Could Cost You @ Money - Mon, Sep 29, 2014 11:09 PM EDT
When you consolidate with a private lender, you can lower your interest rate. But in exchange you lose valuable consumer protections.
- Germans Say “Nein!” to Late-Night Work Email. Here’s How You Can, Too @ Money - Mon, Sep 29, 2014 5:43 PM EDT
Sick of your boss's 3 a.m. emails? Maybe you should move to Germany—where support is growing for a law banning late-night work communication.
- Why Financial Planning Needs More Religion @ Money - Mon, Sep 29, 2014 5:08 PM EDT
Acknowledging faith and spirituality helps people better understand their financial goals — and stick to them.
- Here’s What You Need to Know About the Pimco Stampede @ Money - Mon, Sep 29, 2014 3:18 PM EDT
$10 billion left mutual fund giant Pimco in one day after "bond king" Bill Gross announced his departure. Should you head for the exits too?
- See Why This Halloween Will Be the Most Expensive Ever @ Money - Mon, Sep 29, 2014 1:55 PM EDT
More than two-thirds of Americans will buy costumes this year — for their kids, for themselves, and for their pets.
- Why Your New Health Plan Might Not Cover Hospital Stays @ Money - Mon, Sep 29, 2014 1:55 PM EDT
A debate is growing over whether an Obamacare calculator really lets some employers offer health insurance without hospital coverage. Is this a software glitch, or a giant loophole in the law?
- When You Do—and Don’t—Need a Pro to Manage Your Money @ Money - Mon, Sep 29, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Q: “At what net worth should I consider getting a money manager?” A: There is no magic number for when you need help. Similarly, you don’t have to wait for your net worth to hit a certain mark to seek ...
- What to Say to a Colleague Who’s Been Fired @ Money - Mon, Sep 29, 2014 6:00 AM EDT
Q: What should I say to a colleague who has just been fired? A: People often don’t know what to say, so they say nothing at all, says Judith Martin, the Miss Manners etiquette columnist and author of Miss ...
- 3 Stupidly Simple Ways to Make Sure You Never Ever Pay ATM Fees @ Money - Mon, Sep 29, 2014 6:00 AM EDT
A new Bankrate report shows that the cost of using an out-of-network ATM is growing. Here's how to avoid those charges completely.
- How $10,000 to $100,000 Transformed These Homes @ Money - Mon, Sep 29, 2014 6:00 AM EDT
These homeowners made every corner count with impressive top-to-bottom remodels. Here are the before-and-after photos, and the project's cost, favored by the editors' of This Old House magazine in their ...
- 7 Reasons Our Coffee Habit Is Costing More These Days @ Money - Mon, Sep 29, 2014 6:00 AM EDT
In a relatively short period of time, the American coffee habit has gotten a lot more expensive.
- 3 Credit Score Myths that Could be Costing You @ Money - Mon, Sep 29, 2014 6:00 AM EDT
These common assumptions could take big points off your FICO score—and leave you paying more on loans and credit cards.
- See Why Bill Gross’s Departure is Such a Big Deal @ Money - Fri, Sep 26, 2014 5:13 PM EDT
Bond guru Bill Gross is leaving Pimco, which he co-founded in 1971 and where he has managed the world's largest bond mutual fund.
- Watch Apple’s ‘BendGate’ Response @ Money - Fri, Sep 26, 2014 2:30 PM EDT
Apple says only nine iPhone 6 Plus owners have contacted the company about a bend in their device, and it promises to replace any bent phones.
- Video: Bill Gross Leaves Pimco for Janus @ Money - Fri, Sep 26, 2014 1:41 PM EDT
In the wake of weakening performance and bad press, the bond guru is leaving the company he co-founded in 1971.
- Wake Up! Monday Is National Coffee Day and There’s Free Coffee to Be Had @ Money - Fri, Sep 26, 2014 1:33 PM EDT
On Monday, September 29, a.k.a. National Coffee Day, plenty of regional and national restaurant chains will pour you a coffee for free—or at most, $1.
- What Investors in Pimco’s Giant Bond Fund Should Do Now @ Money - Fri, Sep 26, 2014 12:43 PM EDT
One-time star manager Bill Gross is leaving. The case for choosing an index fund for your bonds has never looked better.
- Why “Green” Cars Are Still Destroying the Earth @ Money - Fri, Sep 26, 2014 12:05 PM EDT
In 2013 Tesla‘s Model S won the prestigious Motor Trend Car of the Year award. Motor Trend called it “one of the quickest American four-doors ever built.” It went on to say that the electric vehicle “drives ...
- 4 Reasons Why Bill Gross Leaving Pimco Is Such Big News @ Money - Fri, Sep 26, 2014 11:31 AM EDT
'Bond King' Bill Gross has resigned from the firm he founded. Here's why his move matters.
- The Creepy New Way Macy’s Tempts You to Make Impulse Purchases @ Money - Fri, Sep 26, 2014 11:30 AM EDT
Macy's is outfitting stores with the ability to detect shoppers' exact locations—and then make ads and coupons magically appear on smartphones so they'll buy the merchandise in front of them.
- The Surprising Feature Millennials Insist on When Buying a Home @ Money - Fri, Sep 26, 2014 10:17 AM EDT
Century 21 CEO Richard Davidson explains what young, single home buyers value in a new house.
- Why Rats, Cats, and Monkeys are Smarter than Investors @ Money - Fri, Sep 26, 2014 9:43 AM EDT
A performance artist in Austria piles on to the case against "active management" by finding yet another animal that seems to invest better than humans.
- How Student Loans Are Jeopardizing Seniors’ Retirements @ Money - Fri, Sep 26, 2014 6:00 AM EDT
Old debts are haunting retirees, as the federal government goes after their Social Security checks for repayment.