- Government Stinginess Morningstar - Sat, May 18, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
A lower deficit is great longer-term news, but it could continue to hurt short-term data.
- A Raft of Portfolio Manager Changes at Janus Morningstar - Thu, May 16, 2013 5:12 PM EDT
Also, Vanguard rolls out an emerging-markets bond fund, major portfolio manager departures at T. Rowe Price and FPA, Neuberger Berman to launch a China fund, and Invesco to rework its quant funds.
- A Rare Bird: The Tax-Efficient Alternative Morningstar - Thu, May 16, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
Gateway enhances a long-short strategy with tax efficiency.
- Questions and Answers on Morningstar's Valuation Model Morningstar - Thu, May 16, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
Morningstar StockInvestor editor Matt Coffina answers some common questions about Morningstar's valuation model.
- Bond Funds Bring It on Home Morningstar - Tue, May 14, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
With bargains scarce, some core bond managers aren't taking too many chances.
- Roth IRAs vs. 529s: A College-Savings Smackdown Morningstar - Tue, May 14, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
Using a retirement account to save for college invites many potential pitfalls.
- A Fistful of Downgrades Morningstar - Mon, May 13, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
We lowered the boom on five funds.
- Go-Go, Go-Slow, No-Go? Readers Weigh in on Retirement Spending Patterns Morningstar - Sun, May 12, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
Many let portfolio performance dictate how much they spend.
- No News Is Good News Morningstar - Sat, May 11, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
There was little economic news to spook the market this week, but next week's data could prove to be a real test.
- MBIA Investment a Big Win for Fairholme's Berkowitz Morningstar - Thu, May 9, 2013 5:30 PM EDT
A promotion at Heartland Advisors, former Fidelity Magellan PM Jeffrey Vinik to shutter his hedge fund, and Southeastern readies another proxy fight.
- Timeless Lessons From the Oracle of Omaha Morningstar - Thu, May 9, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
Morningstar StockInvestor editor Matt Coffina shares takeaways from this year's Berkshire Hathaway annual meeting.
- Can a Great Stock Also Be a Great Fund Family? Morningstar - Thu, May 9, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
BlackRock has yet to realize its full potential for fundholders.
- College-Planning Tips for Special-Needs Families Morningstar - Tue, May 7, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
More students with disabilities are attending college, making the need for financial planning even greater.
- Is Your 529 Plan a Star Performer? Morningstar - Tue, May 7, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
Morningstar measures college-savings plans' risk-adjusted performance.
- Yacktman Focused's Markup Is Needless Morningstar - Mon, May 6, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
A higher-than-necessary expense ratio holds this Silver-rated fund back.
- Long-Term Care: Denial Is Not One of the Choices Morningstar - Mon, May 6, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
Eschewing insurance? Make sure you have a viable backup plan.
- A Dividend and Slow Growth or Fast Growth With No Dividend? Morningstar - Sun, May 5, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
Readers offer their thoughts on whether it's better to own a longtime blue chip or a leading Internet firm.
- An Economy in the Middle: No Boom, No Bust Morningstar - Sat, May 4, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
Economic data this week was slow enough to keep central bank stimulus flowing yet good enough to avert recession fears, writes Morningstar’s Bob Johnson.
- American Century Sends Livestrong Brand Into Retirement Morningstar - Thu, May 2, 2013 5:00 PM EDT
A new manager for T. Rowe Price New Era, DWS fires a subadvisor, Matthews launches 2 Asia funds and makes manager changes on 2 other funds, Cohen & Steers founders pull back, and a Waddell & Reed bond ...
- Funds That (Still) Buy Like Buffett, 2013 Morningstar - Thu, May 2, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
Funds with similar stock holdings to Warren Buffett have excelled over time.
- How Will State and Local Taxes Affect Your Retirement? Morningstar - Thu, May 2, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
Here are several tips for reducing your tax outlay without having to relocate.
- A Tale of Two Yields: Part I Morningstar - Tue, Apr 30, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
What a comparison of a fund's trailing 12-month and SEC yields can tell us.
- Don't Get Carried Away With Floating-Rate Funds Morningstar - Tue, Apr 30, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
Yes, they offer protection against a rise in interest rates, but they also can add credit risk.
- Invest With Buffett, Like Buffett, or Both? Morningstar - Sun, Apr 28, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
Readers say they've learned much about quality, valuation, and patience from the Oracle of Omaha.
- U.S. GDP Not as Good as the Report Suggests Morningstar - Sat, Apr 27, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
The year-over-year data paints a very different picture than the quarter-to-quarter annualized data we got on Friday.
- 3 Leave Third Avenue International Value Morningstar - Thu, Apr 25, 2013 5:15 PM EDT
Bob Doll to take the helm of a Nuveen large-cap value fund, Gary Black to manage a new alts fund for Calamos, RiverPark drafts a new alts fund, and ALPS plans a tactical Asia-Pacific fund. Also, 3 new ...
- 5 Key Questions to Ask Before Purchasing an Equity-Indexed Annuity Morningstar - Thu, Apr 25, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
Annuities providing 'equity exposure with guardrails' have taken off in popularity, but the due diligence process is a headache.
- It's Time for a Reality Check on Closed-End Funds Morningstar - Thu, Apr 25, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
CEFs have a role in risk-tolerant portfolios.
- Monte Carlo's Role in Retirement Planning Morningstar - Tue, Apr 23, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
This statistical method is designed to help improve your odds of meeting your financial goals but is not without its flaws.
- 529s Win More College Savings Despite Performance Shortfall Morningstar - Mon, Apr 22, 2013 1:20 PM EDT
Fees continue to fall, but mutual funds and indexes post better returns.
- 3 New Comanagers for Oakmark Equity and Income Morningstar - Mon, Apr 22, 2013 1:00 PM EDT
Harris Associates promotes three members of its research team to join longtime skipper Clyde McGregor on the Silver-rated fund.
- The Error-Proof Portfolio: Use Market Shocks to Get Real About Risk-Taking Morningstar - Mon, Apr 22, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
The recent downdraft can serve as impetus to address asset-class imbalances and check other risk factors.
- Tip-Swapping on Long-Term Care Insurance Morningstar - Sun, Apr 21, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
Morningstar.com readers offer their input on whether to buy it, when to buy it, and what features to seek in this complicated insurance product.
- Falling Prices: Too Much of a Good Thing? Morningstar - Sat, Apr 20, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
Falling prices are generally good for consumers, but is the U.S. moving into the deflationary world of Japan?
- How to Stress-Test a Portfolio's Interest-Rate Sensitivity Morningstar - Fri, Apr 19, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
Following this rule of thumb might serve you well in case interest rates go up.
- Should You Rebalance Into (Gulp) Bonds? Morningstar - Fri, Apr 19, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
Morningstar's Christine Benz and other financial experts weigh in on what to do when a sound portfolio practice collides with an unattractive asset class.
- How Much Should Retirees Stake in TIPS? Morningstar - Fri, Apr 19, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
Add inflation protection to your portfolio, sensibly.
- How Much Foreign-Bond Exposure Do Retirees Need? Morningstar - Fri, Apr 19, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
Currency fluctuations add an extra layer of volatility.
- Find the Right Stock/Bond Mix Morningstar - Fri, Apr 19, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
Asset allocation is the biggest determinant of how your portfolio behaves.
- Longleaf Partners Global Reopens to New Investors Morningstar - Thu, Apr 18, 2013 4:18 PM EDT
Management changes at Fidelity funds, a new CIO at D.E. Shaw, TIAA-CREF rolls out a new international fund, a Gold-rated FMI fund to close, and more.
- Bank Loans Appealing but Far From a Cash Alternative Morningstar - Thu, Apr 18, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
These funds are best used to augment--rather than supplant--high-quality fixed-income exposure.
- The Great Yield Chase Morningstar - Thu, Apr 18, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
A look under the hood shows that many core bond funds have continued their quest for income.
- Why Moat Trends Matter Morningstar - Thu, Apr 18, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
Morningstar StockInvestor editor Matt Coffina explains the importance of understanding whether an economic moat is expanding, shrinking, or staying the same over time.
- Do Municipal Bonds Have a Place in My Portfolio? Morningstar - Wed, Apr 17, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
Consider the tax implications before adding a muni investment to your portfolio.
- How to Find the Best Core Bond Funds Morningstar - Tue, Apr 16, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
Morningstar's Christine Benz provides some useful tips for those getting their feet wet in fixed-income investing.
- The Broader Lessons of Tweedy, Browne Global Value's Revival Morningstar - Tue, Apr 16, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
Why a prominent fund lagged, and why patience was called for.
- For Safety-First Savers, Stable-Value Funds Are Tough to Beat Morningstar - Tue, Apr 16, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
A fixture in many 401(k) plans, these funds offer low-risk savings at rates that beat money markets.
- Don't Overlook the Risks of Individual Bonds Morningstar - Mon, Apr 15, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
High transaction costs, lack of flexibility, and credit-quality risk loom large.
- For Bond Risks, Look Forward, Not Back Morningstar - Mon, Apr 15, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
The trouble spots in your bond portfolio might not show up in past returns.
- Bond Fund Duration: An Art, Not a Science Morningstar - Mon, Apr 15, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
Duration can provide guidance, but not certainty.