- Sonic Automotive Has Momentum @ Morningstar - 7 hours ago
The narrow-moat car dealership has a bold strategy for both new and used car sales, but shares are pricey today.
- Ultimate Stock-Pickers: Top 10 High-Conviction and New-Money Purchases @ Morningstar - 7 hours ago
While overall activity for our top managers decreased again, our early read on the buying and selling activity during the period did uncover a few ideas worth considering.
- Not the Time for a Muni Run @ Morningstar - 7 hours ago
But municipal bonds are still standing on firm fundamental ground.
- Is Momenta's Drubbing Overdone? Morningstar - 21 hours ago
The FDA's warning letter issued on a key generic Copaxone 40mg manufacturing facility owned by Pfizer does not affect our long-term view of this no-moat drugmaker.
- Expect More of the Same from Macy's Morningstar - 23 hours ago
Shifts to e-commerce combined with better-priced competition in the off-price segment will continue to eat into the no-moat retailer's market share.
- Morningstar Corporate Credit Research Highlights Morningstar - 23 hours ago
Corporate Credit Spreads Grind Tighter
- Wal-Mart Looks Undervalued Morningstar - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 11:56 AM EST
As the wide-moat retailer’s digital Initiatives continue, we see value in the shares.
- When Hedge Funds Convert to Mutual Funds @ Morningstar - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 7:00 AM EST
It's best to ignore their preconversion histories.
- Three Top Managers on Their Outlooks for Rates, Inflation @ Morningstar - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 7:00 AM EST
In part one of a Morningstar interview, Laird Landmann, Dana Emery, and Ken Leech offer their insights on what the Fed has in store.
- Who Will Kraft Heinz Woo Next? Morningstar - Tue, Feb 21, 2017 6:42 AM EST
While the narrow-moat firm abandoned its bid for wide-moat Unilever, we doubt its interest in consolidating the space has subsided.
- Waste Management Is at the Top of the Heap, but Shares Look Pricey @ Morningstar - Mon, Feb 20, 2017 7:00 AM EST
We think the narrow-moat waste firm will generate healthy amounts of cash flow in the years to come, but the market is pricing in an overly exuberant scenario.
- How 6 of Our Top Core Stock Funds Have Fared @ Morningstar - Mon, Feb 20, 2017 7:00 AM EST
Our Gold-rated large-blend funds range from focused to super diversified passive funds.
- Investors Return to Bonds in January @ Morningstar - Mon, Feb 20, 2017 6:00 AM EST
International-equity fund flows pick up, and bank loan funds find an audience.
- Stocks Our Favorite Large-Cap Managers Have Been Buying @ Morningstar - Mon, Feb 20, 2017 6:00 AM EST
Morningstar medalist managers picked up these names during the fourth quarter of 2016.
- Boosting Fair Value Estimate on CSX Morningstar - Mon, Feb 20, 2017 12:20 AM EST
We believe Hunter Harrison will become CEO and drive margin expansion at the wide-moat railroad.
- Sequoia's Foundation Looks Stronger Than It Was Before @ Morningstar - Sun, Feb 19, 2017 6:00 AM EST
Despite continued poor performance, there's reason for optimism at this Bronze-rated fund.
- Aftertax 401(k): Most Investors Should Walk on By @ Morningstar - Sun, Feb 19, 2017 6:00 AM EST
Aftertax contributions only make sense for high-income folks who have maxed out other tax-sheltered options.
- Inflation Pushes Higher, Endangering the Recovery @ Morningstar - Sat, Feb 18, 2017 6:00 AM EST
Barring a disaster, inflation should peak around midyear but stagnant wage growth means there isn't much relief for consumers in sight, says Morningstar's Bob Johnson.
- Morningstar Runs the Numbers @ Morningstar - Sat, Feb 18, 2017 6:00 AM EST
We take a numerical look through this week's Morningstar research. Plus, our most popular articles and videos for the week ended Feb. 17.
- Essential Real Estate Sources for Buyers and Sellers @ Morningstar - Sat, Feb 18, 2017 6:00 AM EST
Contributor John Wasik shares some of his favorite online resources and tips for how to make the most of them.
- Cisco's Narrow Moat Provides Competitive Firewall @ Morningstar - Fri, Feb 17, 2017 7:00 PM EST
We expect the firm to remain a strong competitor for many years to come.
- Kraft Heinz, Unilever Deal Faces Challenge Morningstar - Fri, Feb 17, 2017 11:58 AM EST
There is some strategic rationale to the tie-up, but given the higher price that would be needed to bring Unilever to the table, we don’t see the takeover as imminent.
- Climate-Aware Fund Investing Morningstar - Fri, Feb 17, 2017 7:00 AM EST
Three ways to incorporate climate concerns into your large-cap funds portfolio.
- Necessary Regulation or Government Overkill? @ Morningstar - Fri, Feb 17, 2017 7:00 AM EST
A (very) short history of investment legislation.
- A Low-Cost Way to Make a Diversified Bet on Energy Stocks @ Morningstar - Fri, Feb 17, 2017 7:00 AM EST
Energy Select Sector SPDR ETF bundles energy stocks from the S&P 500 for a low fee.
- Despite Improving Odds, MGM Isn't the Best Bet Morningstar - Thu, Feb 16, 2017 5:00 PM EST
For investors seeking gaming exposure, we think undervalued Wynn Resorts is the better bet.
- What Blocked Mergers Mean for Managed Care Morningstar - Thu, Feb 16, 2017 4:59 PM EST
The recent rulings by the two respective federal courts in blocking both the Anthem/Cigna and Aetna/Humana deals have significant repercussions for the sector.
- Will Rising Bond Yields Sink High-Dividend Stocks? @ Morningstar - Thu, Feb 16, 2017 7:00 AM EST
Conventional wisdom holds that higher rates will hurt stocks with high dividend yields, but we find the supporting evidence rather weak.
- Retirement Saver's Credit an Overlooked Tax Break @ Morningstar - Thu, Feb 16, 2017 6:00 AM EST
Even higher-income investors may be able to benefit from this credit on occasion--or help someone else do so.
- Cisco's Software, Subscription Revenue Impresses Morningstar - Wed, Feb 15, 2017 11:45 PM EST
An announced acquisition of AppDynamics will further strengthen these trends, but we recommend investors to seek a wider margin of safety before investing in the narrow-moat firm.
- Berkshire Boosts Stakes in Airlines, Apple Morningstar - Wed, Feb 15, 2017 4:37 PM EST
Apple becomes a top 10 holding as Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway continues to bet on U.S. airlines.
- The Pepsi Advantage Morningstar - Wed, Feb 15, 2017 11:24 AM EST
A robust portfolio of noncarbonated beverages and snacks will allow the wide-moat firm to weather declining carbonated soft drink volumes more easily than its peers.
- What Does Activist's Stake Mean for P&G? Morningstar - Wed, Feb 15, 2017 9:18 AM EST
Given all of the transformative actions the wide-moat firm is presently undertaking, we don’t anticipate investor Nelson Peltz will call for additional steps to transform the business at this time.
- AIG Results Ugly but Unsurprising Morningstar - Wed, Feb 15, 2017 9:13 AM EST
The company's recent reinsurance deal with Berkshire Hathaway should reduce some uncertainty going forward.
- The National Economic Council: Let Investors Eat Junk! @ Morningstar - Wed, Feb 15, 2017 7:00 AM EST
The arguments against the Department of Labor's fiduciary rule grow ever stranger.
- Strategy and Structure Make ETFs Tax Efficient @ Morningstar - Wed, Feb 15, 2017 7:00 AM EST
ETFs can be a good choice for tax-sensitive investors, but remember they aren't tax-exempt.
- Norfolk Southern's Wide Moat Remains on the Rails @ Morningstar - Wed, Feb 15, 2017 7:00 AM EST
Coal may still be in long-term decline, but positive near-term trends have led us to boost our fair value estimate.
- Should You Bother With a 'Tax-Managed' Fund? @ Morningstar - Wed, Feb 15, 2017 6:00 AM EST
Tax-managed funds don't guarantee tax efficiency, but they can be a good choice for taxable investors.
- General Motors, Peugeot Deal May Not Be So Likely Morningstar - Tue, Feb 14, 2017 12:00 PM EST
We caution against too much enthusiasm on the news of GM possibly selling Opel and Vauxhall.
- Surprise Manager Changes Keep Investors on Their Toes @ Morningstar - Tue, Feb 14, 2017 7:00 AM EST
Youngish manager retirement announcements make waves.
- 4 Tech Firms Cheaper Than Apple @ Morningstar - Tue, Feb 14, 2017 6:00 AM EST
Apple may be fairly valued after hitting record highs, but we think these technology stocks are undervalued.
- Teva Faces Uncertainty Morningstar - Mon, Feb 13, 2017 11:00 AM EST
Although we think the narrow-moat drugmaker looks undervalued, the company continues to face significant challenges as it transitions to a new CEO and from the potential upcoming competition on Copaxone....
- A Sustained Recovery in the Cards for Mattel @ Morningstar - Mon, Feb 13, 2017 7:00 AM EST
We see shares of the narrow-moat toymaker as modestly undervalued as management works to kickstart its owned and licensed properties.
- A Burst of New Ratings to Start the Year @ Morningstar - Mon, Feb 13, 2017 7:00 AM EST
Nineteen new ratings debuted in January.
- American Funds Washington Mutual Shines in Tough Times @ Morningstar - Sun, Feb 12, 2017 6:00 AM EST
This Gold-rated fund may be a bit old-fashioned, but its discipline helps it hold up when markets are at their worst.
- Checking Up on Our Retirement Saver Portfolios @ Morningstar - Sun, Feb 12, 2017 6:00 AM EST
We review positioning and asset allocation and recap 2016 portfolio performance.
- Is the Worst Over for Troubled Trade Data? @ Morningstar - Sat, Feb 11, 2017 6:00 AM EST
Trade has fallen from close to 14% of GDP to just 12%, a drop that is more typically associated with a recession than a midcycle recovery.
- Morningstar Runs the Numbers @ Morningstar - Sat, Feb 11, 2017 6:00 AM EST
We take a numerical look through this week's Morningstar research. Plus, our most popular articles and videos for the week ended Feb. 10.
- Savings, Not Returns, Key to Secure Retirement @ Morningstar - Sat, Feb 11, 2017 6:00 AM EST
A low-return outlook and increasing lifespans mean investors will need significant savings rates to fund retirements.
- No Reason to Be Leery of Undervalued Calpine Morningstar - Fri, Feb 10, 2017 12:00 PM EST
The company's focus on deleveraging should ease investor concerns.