- Strong Results for Comcast's Third Quarter Morningstar - 7 hours ago
We don't expect to change our $60 fair value estimate and view Comcast shares as fairly valued currently.
- U.S. Shares Lower on Weak Earnings Morningstar - 7 hours ago
U.S. shares were lower as large firms, led by the world's most valuable company, Apple (AAPL), reported disappointing earnings. After market close yesterday, U.S. technology giant Apple said that fourth-quarter net income fell to $9.01 billion, or $1.67 per share, from $11.12 billion, or $1.96 per share, in the same period …
- Coca-Cola's Results Highlight Positive Trajectory Morningstar - 7 hours ago
We will likely raise our $44 fair value estimate slightly, but shares still look fairly valued today.
- Air Products Spin-Off Worth Keeping an Eye On @ Morningstar - 12 hours ago
Shares of Versum began trading this month, allowing investors an opportunity to benefit from a newly independent, high-quality business.
- Fickle Investors Have Missed Out on This ETF's Momentum Strategy @ Morningstar - 12 hours ago
Momentum is not a factor for the faint of heart.
- Chipotle’s Turnaround Faces Execution, Cost Questions Morningstar - 17 hours ago
Investors should wait for a larger margin of safety before buying shares of Chipotle given the risks involved in the firm’s bid to win back customers.
- iPhone Demand Remains Healthy, Resilient Morningstar - 20 hours ago
Near-term margins at Apple will be squeezed by iPhone 7 Plus supply constraints, but our long-term forecast remains intact.
- General Motors Continues to Overdeliver Morningstar - Tue, Oct 25, 2016 1:47 PM EDT
We plan to lower our fair value estimate but continue to see excellent upside for GM.
- Weak Third Quarter but Eli Lilly Looks Well Positioned Morningstar - Tue, Oct 25, 2016 1:15 PM EDT
Results for the company's third quarter were below expectations, but we continue to view it as undervalued.
- Merck Posts Solid Third Quarter Morningstar - Tue, Oct 25, 2016 11:55 AM EDT
Strong Keytruda outlook helps mitigate upcoming patent losses.
- Future Looks Bright for Visa Morningstar - Tue, Oct 25, 2016 8:28 AM EDT
We maintain our fair value estimate of $104 for wide-moat Visa.
- Putting Insurance Into 401(k) Plans @ Morningstar - Tue, Oct 25, 2016 6:00 AM EDT
It makes sense, but can it happen?
- Morningstar's 529 College Savings Report @ Morningstar - Tue, Oct 25, 2016 6:00 AM EDT
Our two-day report includes loads of tips to help you save, invest, and plan for college better.
- Morningstar Names Best 529 College-Savings Plans for 2016 Morningstar - Tue, Oct 25, 2016 1:00 AM EDT
Thirty-three plans are Morningstar Medalists, and three receive Negative ratings.
- Corporate credit spreads have fully recovered from the panic that gripped the corporate bond markets … Morningstar - Mon, Oct 24, 2016 12:40 PM EDT
Energy and basic materials have been some of the best performing sectors year to date.
- U.S. Shares Higher on M&A News Morningstar - Mon, Oct 24, 2016 12:00 PM EDT
U.S. shares were higher after AT&T (T) and Time Warner (TWX) announced a massive tie-up, while earnings season continued apace. In economic news, the U.S. Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago said its national activity index rose to a reading of negative 0.14 in September from a downwardly revised reading of negative 0.72 …
- McDonald's Serves Up a Wide Moat @ Morningstar - Mon, Oct 24, 2016 7:00 AM EDT
Third-quarter results reinforce its brand intangible asset.
- These Charitable Investment Strategies Deliver a 'Three-fer' @ Morningstar - Mon, Oct 24, 2016 6:00 AM EDT
These three maneuvers will tend to deliver a higher tax benefit than writing a check and deducting it, and may even improve your portfolio.
- Can First Eagle's New Owners and CEO Balance Stability and Growth? @ Morningstar - Mon, Oct 24, 2016 6:00 AM EDT
The dust is settling after a year of change.
- How to Participate in the Emerging-Markets Rally @ Morningstar - Mon, Oct 24, 2016 6:00 AM EDT
Taking measured risks is a must for investors in this divergent asset class.
- AT&T Disappoints With Time Warner Merger Morningstar - Sun, Oct 23, 2016 11:10 PM EDT
We plan to lower our fair value estimate for AT&T as the firm is paying a rich price for Time Warner and we see limited strategic benefits.
- Expect Regulatory Scrutiny for AT&T, Time Warner Deal Morningstar - Sun, Oct 23, 2016 10:45 PM EDT
We believe the proposal is a very good deal for Time Warner and are raising our fair value estimate to $107 to match the deal price.
- Cutting the Cord: How Will Media Companies Adapt? @ Morningstar - Sun, Oct 23, 2016 7:00 AM EDT
Forget set-top boxes. Innovation and upstart companies are changing the way viewers consume television programming and feature films.
- Tips for Making College More Affordable @ Morningstar - Sun, Oct 23, 2016 6:00 AM EDT
Morningstar readers share their best advice for taming college costs.
- Handling HSAs After Death or Divorce @ Morningstar - Sat, Oct 22, 2016 7:00 AM EDT
Many health savings accounts have grown quite large and merit careful consideration in divorce or inheritance planning.
- Our Economic Ocean Liner Is Taking a Turn for the Worse @ Morningstar - Sat, Oct 22, 2016 6:00 AM EDT
One by one, the pillars of the U.S. recovery are beginning to fade.
- Morningstar Runs the Numbers @ Morningstar - Sat, Oct 22, 2016 6:00 AM EDT
We take a numerical look through this week's Morningstar research. Plus, our most popular articles and videos for the week ended Oct. 21.
- Strength in GE's Industrial Portfolio Offsets Weakness Morningstar - Fri, Oct 21, 2016 2:44 PM EDT
The oil and gas business remained a significant drag in the third quarter, but we're maintaining our fair value estimate of $30 per share.
- Menu, Operations Improvements Solidify McDonald's Moat Morningstar - Fri, Oct 21, 2016 1:00 PM EDT
The company delivered a better than expected third quarter, but investors must be aware that tougher comparisons loom.
- Where Active Management Is Headed @ Morningstar - Fri, Oct 21, 2016 7:00 AM EDT
If index funds are core, where does that leave active management?
- Modest Style Bets, Modest Price @ Morningstar - Fri, Oct 21, 2016 6:00 AM EDT
This multifactor ETF won't shoot the lights out, but it has a good chance to slightly outperform the S&P 500 over the long term.
- Garmin Navigates Its Way to a Narrow Moat @ Morningstar - Fri, Oct 21, 2016 6:00 AM EDT
Although auto GPS is in secular decline, the marine segment helps maneuver the firm to its moat rating.
- 5 Misconceptions About College Aid @ Morningstar - Fri, Oct 21, 2016 6:00 AM EDT
Don't disregard the FAFSA when planning how to pay for college.
- BAT Offer for Reynolds American Looks Slightly Rich Morningstar - Fri, Oct 21, 2016 5:00 AM EDT
The deal, for a total consideration of $47 billion, or $56.50 per share, would slightly enhance British American Tobacco's competitive positioning.
- Cloud Growth Powers Strong First Quarter for Microsoft Morningstar - Thu, Oct 20, 2016 7:00 PM EDT
We see shares as fairly valued today, but prospective investors should keep an eye on Microsoft in case of a pullback.
- Stick to the Facts to Overcome Affinity Bias @ Morningstar - Thu, Oct 20, 2016 2:00 PM EDT
When your clients suggest investment ideas from friends and family, they may be suffering from affinity bias.
- U.S. Shares Mostly Lower as Earnings Disappoint Morningstar - Thu, Oct 20, 2016 12:05 PM EDT
U.S. shares were lower as corporate earnings turned in a disappointing performance, while the European Central Bank kept its interest rates and asset purchases unchanged. U.S. economic data also disappointed. The European Central Bank said that its governing council decided to leave its monetary policy unchanged and confirmed …
- Competitive Headwinds Raise Questions for eBay Morningstar - Thu, Oct 20, 2016 8:28 AM EDT
EBay's focus on improving its brand positioning and user experience is encouraging, but structural headwinds remain.
- American Express Benefits From Tailwinds, Cost-Cutting Morningstar - Thu, Oct 20, 2016 8:08 AM EDT
We think the company still has work to do in adapting its strategy for a changing payment environment.
- Pressure Remains on Nestle's Top Line Morningstar - Thu, Oct 20, 2016 7:21 AM EDT
The wide-moat firm offers a modest upside to our fair value estimate, though we recommend waiting for a wider margin of safety before building a position.
- A New Framework for Analyzing Alternative Mutual Funds @ Morningstar - Thu, Oct 20, 2016 7:00 AM EDT
Introducing the Morningstar Style Box for alternative funds.
- Tax-Gain Harvesting Can Be a Profitable Strategy @ Morningstar - Thu, Oct 20, 2016 6:00 AM EDT
'Stepping up' cost basis can reduce tax bills for lower-income investors.
- Economic Growth: Great for Everyone but Investors? @ Morningstar - Wed, Oct 19, 2016 7:00 AM EDT
While it may be intuitive to presume strong economic growth translates into strong stock market performance, the evidence suggests otherwise.
- R&D Helps Corning Dig Its Moat @ Morningstar - Wed, Oct 19, 2016 7:00 AM EDT
Heavy investment in research not only helps Corning innovate, but extends its cost advantage as well.
- Intel's Strong Third-Quarter Results Overshadowed Morningstar - Tue, Oct 18, 2016 8:05 PM EDT
With weaker than expected forward guidance, we recommend prospective investors wait for a wider margin of safety.
- Less Volatile Markets, Flows Lift BlackRock's AUM Morningstar - Tue, Oct 18, 2016 4:26 PM EDT
We maintain our $385 fair value estimate for the wide-moat firm.
- Average Third Quarter for Goldman Sachs Morningstar - Tue, Oct 18, 2016 1:00 PM EDT
The narrow-moat company's new online consumer lending platform, Marcus, has material optionality, but we're not changing our fair value estimate.
- Competition Is Concerning for Johnson & Johnson Morningstar - Tue, Oct 18, 2016 12:14 PM EDT
We think the market is not anticipating enough declines on several complex drugs due to generic and biosimilar pressures.
- U.S. Shares Higher as Inflation Rises Morningstar - Tue, Oct 18, 2016 11:41 AM EDT
The adjusted U.S. Consumer Price Index was up 0.3% in September from the prior month compared with an increase of 0.2% in August, the U.S. Department of Labor reported. U.S. builder confidence for newly built, single-family homes fell to 63 in October from 65 in September, according to the National Association of Home …
- U.S. Equity Funds Enter Uncharted Territory @ Morningstar - Tue, Oct 18, 2016 6:00 AM EDT
Average debt/capital ratios have blown past precrisis levels.