- Amazon bars Googlers from AWS Re:invent Gigaom - 2 hours 12 minutes ago
You can be a Google employee and an AWS customer, but that nuance is getting lost as Amazon banned Googlers from its annual customer-and-partner confab.
- Report: EMC to take bigger role in VCE as Cisco reduces stake Gigaom - 3 hours ago
EMC and Cisco Systems have had an increasingly strained relationship and now, Bloomberg is reporting that Cisco will cut its stake in VCE, a five-year-old joint venture it launched with EMC and VMware ...
- How Fon is building a social layer on top of Wi-Fi, starting with music @ Gigaom - 5 hours ago
Fon's new Gramafon router/cloud music is player is just the beginning of the company's foray beyond Wi-Fi. Speaking at Gigaom's Structure Connection conference, COO Alex Puregger said Fon is exploring ...
- Marissa Mayer defends her acquisition strategy by pointing at $200 million in mobile revenue @ Gigaom - 5 hours ago
Yahoo's mobile effort is starting to bear fruit. Will it save the company?
- ‘A journey of culture': Getting buy-in from employees to track their movements @ Gigaom - 5 hours ago
If hospitals can convince nurses, doctors and other staff to track their movements, everyone -- patients included -- stand to win. At Structure Connect, a hospital executive explained how her institution ...
- Connected gadgets will help patients take back their health information. Are they ready for it? Gigaom - 6 hours ago
A smart inhaler can warn a doctor a patient is having trouble before they go to the emergency room. But if patients have increased access to their data, they also will need to know how to manage it.
- The iPad Air 2 is packing a blazing fast chip with three (yes, three) cores @ Gigaom - 6 hours ago
Early benchmarks indicate the A8X processor in the latest iPad has significantly better performance than both the last-generation A7 processor as well as the A8 processor in the iPhone 6.
- Carve anything out of metal or wood with Carvey Gigaom - 7 hours ago
The Carvey is a desktop CNC machine that can help spruce up your home or build you a new pair of glasses. It blew past its Kickstarter goal today.
- Antitrust experts slam Comcast merger plan, warn of threats to Netflix and Amazon Prime @ Gigaom - 7 hours ago
More than 30 law and economics experts warned the FCC that a proposed merger between Comcast and Time Warner Cable would violate anti-monopoly laws, and will lead to harm for consumers.
- “Nestify” has become a word to rival “Uberization” for the internet of things industry Gigaom - 7 hours ago
While the services industry has taken Uber as its big product inspiration, the hardware industry has picked Nest.
- No more remnant inventory: how brands have to change their marketing in an IoT world @ Gigaom - 8 hours ago
Ads in mobile apps can be annoying. So how can brands change things up once they enter the world of IoT?
- The key to selling the smart home is open standards Gigaom - 8 hours ago
The future of the smart home hinges on openness, at least from the perspective of a retailer that wants to sell it.
- How and why Facebook’s Internet.org wants to connect 5 billion more people Gigaom - 8 hours ago
Millions use Facebook today but that's not enough for the company which started a long-term initiative to connect 5 billion more people to the web last year. The challenges can be overcome and help us ...
- Here’s what local governments care about when it comes to connected cities @ Gigaom - 9 hours ago
Local governments are trying to make their spending more efficient by making their cities connected. They're starting one connected category at a time.
- Sponsored post: Cognitive Computing is about to change the world of the Internet of Things @ Gigaom - 9 hours ago
At Saffron, we believe there should be a more natural human-machine collaboration where machines could learn about us, adapt to us, and anticipate what to do next based on knowledge of “us”. We created ...
- Google exec: Chromecast V2 is coming; users have cast 650 million times Gigaom - 10 hours ago
Google's Mario Queiroz said that 650 million people have now hit the cast button. An API for developers will let feed content into Backdrop, the device's customized home screen.
- Why a guitar is a better multi-touch interface than the iPhone and how touchscreens can catch up @ Gigaom - 10 hours ago
According to Qeexo CEO Chris Harrison, touchscreen devices are moving from multi-touch controls into a new type of interface he calls "rich touch."
- Three lessons for building your company and planning your exit when your seed round is crowdfunded Gigaom - 11 hours ago
Contributors are customers -- and other lessons for startups that got their initial funding from the crowd.
- ABI Research: Chromebook shipments up 67% in the past three months @ Gigaom - 11 hours ago
Google Chromebooks continue to ship in record numbers as they account for a greater percentage of commercial channel sales. ABI suggests 2014 Chromebook shipments will double from last year, making Microsoft's ...
- LinkedIn’s Jeff Weiner on how to recruit and keep “rock stars” Gigaom - 12 hours ago
Best-qualified candidates may not be the best fit for the team. LinkedIn's new search function analyzes a company's hiring pattern to see if a candidate would be a good culture fit too.
- Google cars are fine as far as they go, but Ford still sees the need for a human driver Gigaom - 12 hours ago
Ford Motor Company isn't ready to hand over the keys to an automaton quite yet, said Don Butler, head of the automaker's connected car division.
- Jawbone CEO: Wearable makers need “a level of personal taste that our industry hasn’t been used to” @ Gigaom - 12 hours ago
Jawbone CEO Hosain Rahman didn't exactly declare that he intends for the company to focus more on software than hardware, but said he believes that building wearable computing hardware for the masses is ...
- Can we hide from the “eye of Sauron” when everyday objects are attached to the internet? Gigaom - 13 hours ago
Privacy in the age of the internet has been pretty poor. It could be much harder in the age of the internet of things -- but experts from the White House, the ACLU and industry have some ideas about what ...
- Google snaps up Firebase to boost its mobile momentum @ Gigaom - 13 hours ago
Firebase will bring its real-time data store and sync capabilities to Google Cloud Platform as part of Google's mobility push.
- Why Thingful sees respect for data owners’ wishes as key to internet of things development @ Gigaom - 13 hours ago
Thingful founder Usman Haque told the Structure Connect 2014 audience that data generators need to have control of what they emit, and that will mean structuring internet of things systems accordingly....
- CNN, Cartoon Network go dark on Dish as another fee dispute unfolds @ Gigaom - 13 hours ago
Dish customers will have to live without CNN and Cartoon Network until both sides settle their carriage fee dispute.
- Cirqle adds FireChat-style off-grid networking to its photo sharing app @ Gigaom - 13 hours ago
A new app uses Bluetooth connections to form an ad-hoc photo-oriented social network without an internet connection.
- Magic Leap raises $542 million Series B to bring realistic augmented reality to life Gigaom - 14 hours ago
We don't know much about Magic Leap. But it is boldly presenting itself as a company that can solve the most pressing issues facing augmented reality.
- Sponsored post: Quantifying the ROI of IoT initiatives @ Gigaom - 14 hours ago
If someone asked you to create an ROI model for an investment in Internet of Things connectivity, where would you start, and what metrics should you be measuring to ensure you are delivering a higher quality ...
- Getty Images claims to turn away from controversial copyright tactics, but critics remain Gigaom - 14 hours ago
Getty Images, which has a reputation for nasty legal tactics, says it's changing its approach to treat infringers as "customers who make a mistake."
- Startup Aquion Energy shows off the next generation of its battery for solar and the grid @ Gigaom - 15 hours ago
Startup Aquion Energy was one of the first of its competitors to get a factory up and running. Now it's producing the second generation of its battery.
- Startup Aquion Energy shows off the next generation of its battery for solar, the grid @ Gigaom - 15 hours ago
Startup Aquion Energy was one of the first of its competitors to get a factory up and running and now it's producing the second generation of its battery.
- Tablets continue to drive Verizon’s growth in Q3 Gigaom - 15 hours ago
Tablets have turned into Verizon's big of source of growth, which means Verizon might be vulnerable as the iPad Air 2 goes on sale. Verizon is the only major carrier incompatible with Apple's new SIM card....
- Norway’s Thin Film gets $23M to fund printed electronics roadmap Gigaom - 15 hours ago
The Norwegian printed electronics firm Thin Film – which we recently covered for its smart label partnership with Cisco-backed Evrythng – has taken a healthy $23 million in investment from local conglomerate ...
- Containers and clustering technology led third quarter cloud news @ Gigaom - 15 hours ago
The latest updates from key players, mergers & acquisitions, executive transitions, and funding news across the cloud market in 3Q.
- This USB key secures and unlocks your Google account in Chrome @ Gigaom - 15 hours ago
Looking for an option to the verification codes Google uses for 2-step authentication? You can now access your Google accounts on Chrome using a USB Security Key for that second step.
- More fun with low-power Wi-Fi and IP cameras from Homeboy @ Gigaom - 15 hours ago
Homeboy is offering a wireless IP camera that can take video from basically anywhere, integrates with other services and costs $149.
- Ballmer: No one asked me to step down from Microsoft @ Gigaom - 15 hours ago
Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said his decision to leave the company was his alone and not made under pressure.
- HERE it comes: Nokia’s excellent mapping software arrives on Android @ Gigaom - 16 hours ago
Slowly but surely, Nokia's HERE Maps has worked its way to Android phones. It was a Samsung Galaxy exclusive but is now available for any phone running Android 4.1 and up. You won't find it in the Google ...
- Why applications are still Microsoft’s biggest asset in the cloud Gigaom - 17 hours ago
Microsoft is talking a lot about the scale of its cloud computing platform lately, but scale alone won't help it steal revenue from Amazon Web Services or Google. Microsoft's advantage is in commercial ...
- Is your house on fire? Two devices that will tell you. @ Gigaom - 17 hours ago
Two new startups are taking on the humble smoke detector, not with a new alarm, but with a retrofit that lowers the cost of connecting your old devices.
- Sponsored post: It’s offense or defense at NSA @ Gigaom - 17 hours ago
Technical professionals at the National Security Agency are focused on two equally important missions: charging forward to collect foreign signals or standing firm to prevent adversaries from advancing ...
- Structure Connect 2014 live coverage @ Gigaom - 18 hours ago
Here you'll find links to all of Gigaom's coverage of Structure Connect 2014, taking place Tuesday and Wednesday in San Francisco.
- With $26M, Snowflake Computing is hoping its take on data warehousing will hit the mainstream Gigaom - 19 hours ago
Instead of basing its technology on existing open source databases, Snowflake decided to create its own homegrown SQL relational database that can analyze both transactional data and machine data
- ThoughtSpot’s data analytics hardware is now available to the public Gigaom - 19 hours ago
Big data startup ThoughtSpot said Tuesday that its core product, the ThoughtSpot Relational Search Appliance, is now available to the general public. ThoughtSpot wants to bring a Google-like search experience ...
- China denies involvement in “man-in-the-middle” iCloud hack Gigaom - 19 hours ago
A Chinese government spokeswoman has strenuously denied accusations of state involvement in a widespread eavesdropping attack on iCloud users, despite evidence that the attacks took place in core infrastructure....
- Japanese man jailed for 3D-printing revolvers Gigaom - 22 hours ago
Yoshitomo Imura was sentenced to two years in prison for producing "ZigZag" revolvers, which can take six bullets, and showing others how to do the same.
- Why the internet of things should be designed with efficiency in mind Gigaom - 23 hours ago
Can we stop the internet of things from becoming a power hungry consumer of resources? My guest on this week's podcast hopes so, and discusses how we can make it more efficient.
- Back to the Future was right: a working hoverboard will be available in 2015 Gigaom - Tue, Oct 21, 2014 1:47 AM EDT
A California startup has created a real-life hoverboard, and they even let me ride it. But it's mostly a publicity stunt meant to raise interest in levitating other things.
- With new servers, regions, appliance, Microsoft kicks off another battle in cloud wars Gigaom - Mon, Oct 20, 2014 11:44 PM EDT
In an interview, Microsoft EVP Scott Guthrie says cloud is no longer a one-horse race. And the days of cloud players competing on price alone are going the way of the dodo bird.