- Eyeing an Encore Career? Expect a Bumpy Transition SmartMoney - Tue, Jul 10, 2012 3:19 PM EDT
The transition to an encore career can be costly and time-consuming.
- The Jobless Class of 2012 SmartMoney - Mon, Jul 9, 2012 9:02 AM EDT
The Class of 2012 may have few reasons to celebrate this year. Experts say their prospects are the bleakest among all job-seekers.
- Things Pet Stores Won't Say SmartMoney - Thu, Jul 5, 2012 11:10 AM EDT
The $51 billion pet industry isn't always cute and cuddly.
- What ObamaCare Means for Your Taxes SmartMoney - Fri, Jun 29, 2012 10:05 AM EDT
Here's a refresher course on how sweeping health-care reform will impact individual taxpayers like you.
- Breaking Up With Your Bank SmartMoney - Wed, Jun 27, 2012 2:32 PM EDT
Fed up with "gotcha" fees, people are ditching their banks in record numbers. How to tackle the maddening process of moving your money.
- Does it Pay to Airbrush Your Profile Photo? SmartMoney - Tue, Jun 19, 2012 10:51 AM EDT
Experts say there are pitfalls to ironing out too many wrinkles and facial flaws from profile photos on professional networking sites.
- Why Retirees Need ‘Dementia Insurance’ SmartMoney - Fri, Jun 15, 2012 9:32 AM EDT
The retirement income landscape has changed. Increasingly, individuals’ well-being in retirement will depend on how much they have in their 401(k) plans.
- Forget What You've Heard About Stock Risk SmartMoney - Thu, Jun 14, 2012 10:06 AM EDT
Contrary to the theories, investors can reach for safety and returns at the same time.
- Why Wall Street's 'Doing Fine' -- for Now SmartMoney - Tue, Jun 12, 2012 10:14 AM EDT
For investors, Obama's comment that the "private sector is doing fine" is on the money. And that's both a puzzle and a reason for caution.
- 5 Jobs With the Most Layoffs SmartMoney - Fri, Jun 8, 2012 2:25 PM EDT
Despite a slight dip in applications for unemployment benefits last week, the number of layoffs remains far higher than usual.
- Want a 9% Raise? Hit the Gym SmartMoney - Thu, Jun 7, 2012 1:08 PM EDT
If it’s any motivation for workers, this study suggests time at the gym pays for itself, and then some.
- Why Everyone Still Wants Dollars SmartMoney - Thu, Jun 7, 2012 9:58 AM EDT
The dollar accounts for more than 80% of all foreign-exchange transactions, over half of all international trade invoices and two-thirds of central bank reserves.
- The Biggest Stock Bargain in Europe SmartMoney - Wed, Jun 6, 2012 10:01 AM EDT
Poland's stock market carries similar risks to euro-zone markets, but the valuations are much lower and the long-term outlook is brighter.
- Social Security: The Cheapest Annuity in Town SmartMoney - Mon, Jun 4, 2012 2:43 PM EDT
Many people don’t recognize that Social Security is in the annuity business. It has the cheapest product in town.
- Cooling Down Summer A/C Bills SmartMoney - Fri, Jun 1, 2012 11:41 AM EDT
Deal of the Day: Falling rates and a milder summer may help, but homeowners can use other tricks to cut electricity bills.
- Wedding Crashers: Saying 'I Do' in Public SmartMoney - Fri, May 25, 2012 1:27 PM EDT
A new wedding trend trades "walking down the aisle" for a walk on the wild side.
- Things Hollywood Won't Tell You SmartMoney - Fri, May 18, 2012 1:27 PM EDT
Did you know that movie you just watched was one big commercial? Or that 3-D is for suckers? Find out some secrets of the movie biz.
- What End of Bush Tax Cuts Means for You SmartMoney - Wed, May 16, 2012 10:46 AM EDT
The so-called Bush tax cuts are scheduled to expire at the end of this year. Here's what to expect.
- How to Make Money Off Your Friends SmartMoney - Thu, May 10, 2012 4:21 PM EDT
Some of the latest coupons can only be activated by sharing them with Facebook friends or Twitter followers.
- Things Flea Markets Won't Tell You SmartMoney - Mon, May 7, 2012 1:49 PM EDT
Shopping flea markets for a great deal on a one-of-a-kind item? Here are a few things you should know before you go.
- 5 Sectors Slowing Job Growth SmartMoney - Fri, May 4, 2012 3:18 PM EDT
Though the unemployment rate fell to 8.1% in April, experts say the outlook would be far rosier if it weren’t for a handful of sectors dragging down job growth.
- Free Mercedes With That Bank Account SmartMoney - Thu, May 3, 2012 11:34 AM EDT
One bank is dangling a $60,000 car — if you have a spare $1 million to stash away.
- More Americans Stashing Cash in Home Safes SmartMoney - Thu, May 3, 2012 10:58 AM EDT
In an era marked by financial turbulence, it's probably not surprising that safes have become a popular commodity.
- How to Use the IRS as a Credit Card SmartMoney - Thu, Apr 26, 2012 4:41 PM EDT
You may be able to turn to a surprising source for a loan: the taxman.
- Cities With Least Realistic Home Prices SmartMoney - Fri, Apr 20, 2012 1:26 PM EDT
Here are the metro areas where the gap between listing prices and the actual purchase prices are the largest and the areas where they’re the smallest.
- The Best Credit Cards of 2012 SmartMoney - Wed, Apr 18, 2012 11:32 AM EDT
Here are the best new credit cards with relatively low rates, long-lasting promotional offers and generous rewards.
- The Surprising Secret Behind Doctor Referrals SmartMoney - Tue, Apr 17, 2012 1:06 PM EDT
While no one can fault a doctor for trying to drum up business in tough times, critics say that medicine and marketing can make for strange bedfellows.
- Don't Lend Uncle Sam Money at Tax Time SmartMoney - Mon, Apr 16, 2012 10:39 AM EDT
Receiving a big refund or a staggering tax bill? It could be a sign that the amount your employer is withholding from your paycheck for taxes is out of whack.
- Things I Hate About Tax Day SmartMoney - Thu, Apr 12, 2012 12:53 PM EDT
Everybody hates Tax Day, which comes this year on April 17. And so do I. But not for the usual reasons.
- Mega Millionaires' Big Tax Bills SmartMoney - Wed, Apr 11, 2012 12:39 PM EDT
The rich don't pay their fair share in taxes? Consider the daunting tax bills that will be faced by winners of the recent Mega Millions jackpot.
- How to Invest in a U.S. Manufacturing Boom SmartMoney - Mon, Apr 9, 2012 11:49 AM EDT
Trends suggest America's manufacturing renaissance is just getting started. Here's what investors need to know.
- 3 Last-Minute Ways to Lower Your Tax Bill SmartMoney - Fri, Apr 6, 2012 1:02 PM EDT
An IRA contribution made between now and April 17th can still be deducted from a 2011 return.
- Paying Taxes by Credit Card? Read This First SmartMoney - Fri, Apr 6, 2012 11:47 AM EDT
This time of year many Americans would like to take a swipe at the IRS. Some taxpayers even should, experts say — with their credit card.
- Timeshare Prices Plummet to $1 SmartMoney - Wed, Apr 4, 2012 1:17 PM EDT
While real estate – and even vacation real estate – is starting to show signs of recovery, timeshares remain in freefall.
- Working 9 to 5 -- at 75 SmartMoney - Fri, Mar 30, 2012 10:05 AM EDT
Americans are once again working well into their winter years, but they're facing a very different challenge.
- What Does Bernanke Know? SmartMoney - Tue, Mar 27, 2012 11:09 AM EDT
Fed chairman Ben Bernanke surprised the markets yesterday when he hinted that his policy of easy money would continue.
- What Court Ruling Means for Health Stocks SmartMoney - Tue, Mar 27, 2012 9:37 AM EDT
Analysts say there’s more at stake than just the fate of President Obama’s health-care reform: The fortunes of a slew of health care stocks may also hang in the balance.
- An Insider Trading Loophole Congress Didn’t Close SmartMoney - Fri, Mar 23, 2012 2:31 PM EDT
U.S. lawmakers will soon face the same explicit ban on profiting from inside information as other investors. That closes a loophole, but securities laws hold others.
- How to Get $2-Per-Gallon Gas SmartMoney - Fri, Mar 23, 2012 11:13 AM EDT
Gas prices are inching toward record highs. Here's how to knock a dollar or two more off your per-gallon price.
- Banks Branch Into Yoga SmartMoney - Wed, Mar 14, 2012 3:08 PM EDT
The bank branch is dead. Long live the bank branch?
- 3 Theories on the New iPad’s Missing '3' SmartMoney - Fri, Mar 9, 2012 2:46 PM EST
Here are three alternate explanations for Apple’s abandonment of numerology.
- 4 Reasons to Pass On the New iPad SmartMoney - Thu, Mar 8, 2012 10:06 PM EST
Real Time Advice: Some experts say consumers poring over the extras of the new gadget might be better off saving their cash.
- How to Outsmart Social Security SmartMoney - Wed, Mar 7, 2012 9:25 AM EST
Most people start collecting benefits at the wrong time, whether from necessity or because they don't understand the system, a study suggests.
- Tax Breaks for All (Even Top Earners) SmartMoney - Wed, Feb 29, 2012 2:22 PM EST
Some tax breaks are available to just about anybody -- regardless of income.
- Living to 100? That Will Be $3.5 Million SmartMoney - Mon, Feb 27, 2012 11:30 AM EST
The average centenarian will spend more than he or she may expect in their later years. Here's where it goes.
- Want an iPad 3? Sell Your iPad 2 Now SmartMoney - Fri, Feb 24, 2012 5:05 PM EST
Re-sale prices for the iPad 2 will fall as the official launch date for the iPad 3 nears.
- 5 Markets Beating the Housing Bust SmartMoney - Thu, Feb 23, 2012 3:36 PM EST
Five metro areas where median home prices have risen the most since 2008.
- Strategies to Max Out Social Security Benefits SmartMoney - Fri, Feb 17, 2012 12:15 PM EST
Find out which Social Security claiming strategy will pay the most over a lifetime.
- 5 Little-Known Tax Deductions SmartMoney - Fri, Feb 17, 2012 11:33 AM EST
Here are five little-known write-offs that could make your refund bigger or cut what you owe.
- 10 Things Baristas Won't Tell You @ SmartMoney - Thu, Feb 16, 2012 3:30 PM EST
Learn what they think about their jobs, coffee and more.