- PacWest to Buy Square 1 Financial @ The Wall Street Journal - 13 minutes ago
PacWest Bancorp has agreed to buy venture capital-focused lender Square 1 Financial for about $790 million in stock, less than a year after Square 1 went public.
- ARCP Restates Results After Accounting Issues @ The Wall Street Journal - 24 minutes ago
American Realty Capital Properties restated financial results from 2013 and 2014 after the company revealed in October that it had misstated financial results last year and covered it up with another misstatement....
- The Morning Risk Report: Hot Market for Risk Management Skills @ The Wall Street Journal - 29 minutes ago
The insurance industry’s talent crunch can only get tighter, it seems. Roughly two-thirds of insurance companies plan to staff up in the coming year, in the face of an industry unemployment rate of 2.3%, ...
- Coke Hits Investor Sweet Tooth for Yield @ The Wall Street Journal - 40 minutes ago
Investors lapped up Coke’s record-breaking €8.5 billion bond sale. But the thin yields on offer from opportunistic U.S. issuers raising cheap funds in Europe may leave them with an empty feeling.
- Wynn Resorts Seeks to Block Elaine Wynn From Board @ The Wall Street Journal - 41 minutes ago
Wynn Resorts is seeking to block Elaine Wynn—a major shareholder, longtime director and the ex-wife of company Chairman Steve Wynn—from its board.
- Vodafone to Launch U.K. Television Services @ The Wall Street Journal - 45 minutes ago
Vodafone will launch television services later this year as the wireless telecoms operator tries to boost revenues amid greater competition from incumbent players.
- Mitel to Buy Mavenir for $560 Million to Expand 4G LTE @ The Wall Street Journal - 55 minutes ago
Mitel Networks has agreed to buy telecommunications provider Mavenir Systems for about $560 million in cash and stock, in a bid to capitalize on the growing demand for 4G LTE services.
- The Morning Ledger: Tips From the Sage of Omaha as He Ponders an Exit @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 1 minute ago
CFO Journal’s Maxwell Murphy created a cheat sheet of points from Warren Buffett's 50th letter to shareholders that CFOs in particular will appreciate.
- 5 Things to Watch at the Game Developers Conference 2015 @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 45 minutes ago
If E3 is like Christmas for videogamers, the Game Developers Conference is the annual workshop where the industry’s elves gather to hone their craft. Here are five things worth watching this week:
- Albertis Buys Majority Stake in Wind's Telecom Tower Unit @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 46 minutes ago
Spain’s Abertis Infraestructuras said it has agreed to buy 90% of the telecommunication tower business of Italy’s Wind Telecomunicazioni for €693 million.
- Canadian Loan to Help Finance Bombardier Sales in South Africa @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 47 minutes ago
Canada’s export-credit financier said it would provide up to $450 million in financing to South Africa’s state-owned rail company to purchase locomotives from Bombardier Inc.
- GE's Newly Designed 10K Has Lots of Bells and Whistles @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 30 minutes ago
On Friday, General Electric Co. showed investors, 40% of whom are of the mom-and-pop variety,a 10K with a new look and feel, full of colorful charts and graphics. The radical makeover follows GE’s discovery ...
- Samsung's Galaxy Plots Course Out of Google Orbit @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 34 minutes ago
Samsung’s improved phones may narrow the gap with Apple, but the real test is how well Samsung asserts its independence from Google.
- Crib Sheet for CFOs on Buffett's 50th Annual Letter @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 37 minutes ago
Warren Buffett’s letters to shareholders since he took the helm of Berkshire Hathaway Inc. have been scoured for pearls of wisdom for decades. The 50th and latest version, released on Saturday, contains ...
- Sony Mobile Unit Seeks Profit, Innovation @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 44 minutes ago
Sony’s struggling mobile unit can’t be justified at a low profit margin and won’t tie itself to smartphones or even hardware, its new president says.
- Investors End Bid for New China Life Stake @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 49 minutes ago
A consortium of Chinese investors including Yunfeng Capital ended talks to acquire a $5.7 billion stake in New China Life Insurance Co. from China’s sovereign-wealth fund due to difficulty in agreeing ...
- Glencore Earnings: What to Watch @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Glencore PLC, the Swiss-based mining and commodities-trading group, is slated to report 2014 earnings early on Tuesday, giving investors another snapshot of how the industry is getting to grips with the ...
- Quotes & Quips from Warren Buffett's 2014 Shareholder Letter @ The Wall Street Journal - 6 hours ago
Warren Buffett's annual letter to his Berkshire Hathaway Inc. shareholders is one of the most widely read corporate reports in the business community. Here are some of the highlights of the latest one....
- Fujifilm Drug Draws Interest in Ebola Battle @ The Wall Street Journal - 6 hours ago
Fujifilm’s drug Avigan, which has shown signs of efficacy against the Ebola virus, has drawn interest from about 20 countries and the company stands ready for large orders, its chief executive said.
- [$$] Test Flights to Advance Global Tracking Effort as MH370 Anniversary Looms @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
The U.S. and five Pacific countries agreed to participate in demonstration flights to pave the way for universal tracking of jetliners—a move prompted by the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 ...
- Japan’s Youth Stand to Gain Stronger Voice @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
The world’s fastest-aging nation is looking to lower the voting age to 18 to get younger voters more involved and prevent the elderly from holding too much sway.
- Remembering Minnie Miñoso @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
The Chicago White Sox legend never made it to Cooperstown, but was a Hall of Fame gentleman, writes Jonathan Eig.
- Will Smith’s ‘Focus’ takes No. 1 spot from ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
Middle-budget caper earns $19.1 million to dethrone ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ at the box office.
- How NBA Defenses Got Turned Inside Out @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
For generations, the key to playing great team defense in the NBA was defending the rim. Now, because of the league's obsession with the three-point shot, the real action is some 23 feet from the basket....
- [$$] Samsung Unveils Galaxy S6 to Answer iPhone 6 @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
Samsung introduced a new flagship phone, the Galaxy S6, with a double-curved screen and its own mobile-payment service, as the Korean giant looks to keep pace with Apple and Xiaomi.
- FCC Tests Its Authority Over States @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
The federal communications agency is using a new argument to override state laws limiting cities’ ability to run their own Internet service.
- Amgen Sees Positive Results From Kyprolis Study @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
Amgen took a step forward in its efforts to make its Kyprolis cancer therapy a standard treatment for many multiple myeloma patients, saying the drug performed better than older rival Velcade in a study....
- World Watch: News Digest @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
A daily roundup of news from around the world.
- [$$] Glencore Faces Hit From ‘Big Play’ on Coal @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
Investors will get their first look on Tuesday at a full year of Glencore’s financial results since it acquired Xstrata and its ample coal reserves in 2013. Coal prices are off about 25% since then.
- China’s Rate Cut Renews Economic Concerns @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
The central bank’s surprise rate cut shaves a quarter of a percentage point off benchmark lending and deposit rates, and came less than four months after the last reduction—sooner than many expected.
- [$$] RWE to Proceed With North Sea Gas Deal @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
German utility RWE and an energy-investment fund led by Russian billionaire Mikhail Fridman signaled that they would proceed with a $5.6 billion deal for oil-and-gas fields over the U.K. government’s objections....
- Tencent-Backed 58.com Acquires Chinese Real Estate Listing Site @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
58.com Inc. acquired an online real estate listing site for $267 million, the latest deal in China’s fast-growing market for services that connect online users with traditional local offline businesses....
- Ports Get Creative as Cargo Piles Up @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
Southern California ports are thinking about ways they can speed things up after a labor dispute contributed to near gridlock in their operations. Cargomatic, a sort of Uber for cargo, is one solution....
- [$$] HTC Wanders Into Virtual-Reality Gear @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
Taiwanese smartphone maker HTC Corp. is entering the world of virtual reality, part of its move to diversify its product line to boost sales.
- [$$] Cushman & Wakefield’s New Chapter @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
Storied New York real-estate broker is seeking a buyer.
- Reporter’s Notebook: Feeling Naked With Wi-Fi Only @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
Reporter’s Notebook: Living a Wi-Fi only life required a few changes in habit for WSJ reporter Ryan Knutson, who spent a month disconnected from his wireless carrier to live entirely on free Wi-Fi.
- February-Cold Records Shift, to a Degree @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
National Weather Service review leaves February 1934 coldest on record, but 2015 was No. 4.
- Market-Rate Rents Gobble Incomes @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
Renters can expect to spend nearly 60% of their incomes to afford a market-rate apartment in New York City, according to a new study by StreetEasy.
- [$$] Vivendi Accepts Altice Offer to Buy 20% Numericable-SFR Stake @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
Vivendi SA accepted a bid from cable billionaire Patrick Drahi to buy its remaining stake in French telecom company SFR, completing another asset sale at the former conglomerate.
- [$$] Ditching Your Smartphone Bill and Going Wi-Fi Only @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
Is it possible to never pay for wireless-phone service again? For 30 days, WSJ reporter Ryan Knutson disconnected his iPhone from AT&T and lived entirely off the free Wi-Fi connections—and it worked.
- [$$] Business Watch: News Digest @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
Business Watch: News Digest
- What’s the Deal: News Digest @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
A roundup of real-estate news in the Greater New York area.
- Greater New York Watch: News Digest @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
A roundup of news from across the tri-state region.
- [$$] Rebekah Brooks Near Deal for News Corp Job @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
Rebekah Brooks is close to finalizing a deal to return to News Corp, people familiar with the matter said.
- Immigrants View Test Prep as a Ticket to Better Future @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
At a time when many parents balk at what they see as too much test preparation and mounting pressure to “teach to the test,” business is thriving at Asian tutoring centers that supplement regular schoolwork ...
- [$$] Liberals Mugged by Obamanet @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
Buyer’s remorse is already setting in for Google and other ‘net neutrality’ proponents.
- Fixing Broken Penn Station Escalator Will Take Weeks @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
The escalator at Seventh Avenue and West 32nd Street has been broken for weeks and won’t be fixed until spring—an eternity for anyone disabled, carrying luggage or averse to climbing stairs.
- Notable & Quotable: Rod Liddle @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
The organization that fights for the release homicidal Islamist murderers, Cage, has revealed to the public “Jihadi John: the London years.”
- [$$] McDonald’s New Chief Plots Counter Attack @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
McDonald’s new chief executive has set expectations high for change at the world’s biggest restaurant chain. Now he’ll have to deliver.
- India Budget Plan Shuns Major Overhaul @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
Investors’ hopes that Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi will radically reshape economic policies and supercharge growth might soon need re-examining.