- Regional Banks Go Trick-or-Treating at the Fed @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 minutes 45 seconds ago
For big U.S. banks there’s nothing as scary as dealing with the ever-increasing regulatory burden. On Halloween, a dozen regional banks next week will get the chance to argue how the Fed can make the new ...
- [$$] Amazon's Spending Leads to Biggest Operating Loss @ The Wall Street Journal - 6 minutes ago
Amazon reported the biggest operating loss in its history, despite a 20% boost in sales, as the company’s many investments continued to weigh on its bottom line.
- [$$] Coke Taps New Marketing Chief @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 minutes ago
Coca-Cola is replacing its chief marketing officer with a veteran company insider, the latest bid by the world’s largest beverage maker to revive flagging sales.
- Bill Ackman Likes 'Happy Deals' @ The Wall Street Journal - 16 minutes ago
Pershing Square Capital Management LP CEO Bill Ackman is not a fan of “hostile” to describe unsolicited takeover offers.
- [$$] Cerner Posts Higher Profit and Revenue @ The Wall Street Journal - 17 minutes ago
Cerner’s third-quarter earnings rose 12% as revenue increased 15%. The health-care information-technology company expects fourth-quarter earnings excluding items of 46 cents to 47 cents a share and revenue ...
- [$$] U.S. Web Firms' Expansion Leaves Germans Conflicted @ The Wall Street Journal - 25 minutes ago
Amazon.com said it would launch web-hosting services in Germany, pushing deeper into a country that has been openly hostile to U.S. Internet firms.
- [$$] AT&T's Taxing Cash Conundrum @ The Wall Street Journal - 29 minutes ago
AT&T had a weak third quarter. But one of its big attractions, its dividend, presents another problem.
- [$$] Microsoft's Cloud Growth Continues @ The Wall Street Journal - 49 minutes ago
Microsoft continues to defy expectations by growing at a much faster clip than its business-technology peers, and the company also managed to post stronger-than-forecast sales in its troubled Nokia mobile ...
- [$$] Pandora Media Loss Narrows; Listener Hours Up 25% @ The Wall Street Journal - 50 minutes ago
Pandora Media reported a 25% increase in the number of hours listeners tuned in during the third quarter, the first year-to-year comparison since the Internet radio giant ended its 40-hour free-listening ...
- Amazon Shares Down 10% After Steep Third-Quarter Loss @ The Wall Street Journal - 57 minutes ago
Amazon.com Inc. shares are down in late trading, off about 10%, after the company reported a third-quarter loss that was steeper than the Street was expecting. Not that the company seemed at all concerned ...
- 5 Things to Read Today: GM Posts Strong Profit, Nigeria to Send Medics in Ebola Fight, and More @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 7 minutes ago
General Motors reported a 14% drop in third-quarter profit, but beat analyst expectations as strength in North America offset weaker results in other regions of the world. GM CEO Mary Barra reaffirmed the company’s near-term financial targets, promising greater operating efficiencies in product development and purchasing. …
- [$$] Nucor Announces 66% Profit Rise on Energy Boom @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 8 minutes ago
Nucor Corp., posted a 66% increase in profits because of rising demand for steel used in the energy and nonresidential construction sectors.
- [$$] Chubb Posts Higher Profit @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 9 minutes ago
Chubb posted a 10% increase in third-quarter earnings as the insurance company said it has low catastrophe losses.
- The Evolution of Agile: CIO Journal Readers Respond @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 11 minutes ago
Thanks to everyone who responded to The Morning Download’s request for comment earlier today on Agile. Here are some highlights from what CIO Journal readers had to say about the adoption of faster and ...
- [$$] Stronger Dollar Could Soak P&G, Colgate @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 14 minutes ago
Ahead of the Tape: Procter & Gamble and Colgate-Palmolive have been hurt by a strengthening in the dollar, as should be apparent when they report results Friday.
- [$$] KKR Signals Buying Opportunities @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 29 minutes ago
KKR& Co. signaled buying opportunities ahead, as choppy markets create conditions that can scare off other investors. The private-equity firm said third-quarter profit fell sharply, as its cash haul from ...
- The Real Issue Hurting Yelp @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 31 minutes ago
On an otherwise strong day for the stock market, shares of Yelp Inc. are getting pummeled after the business-review website offered a disappointing quarterly outlook.
- [$$] Edwards Lifesciences Profit Rises 23% @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 32 minutes ago
Edwards Lifesciences Corp.’s third-quarter earnings beat expectations, driven by strong sales of its nonsurgical heart valves.
- [$$] Janus Says Profit Rises 25% @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 33 minutes ago
Bond kingpin Bill Gross’s new home, Janus Capital Group, said its profit rose 25% as its revenue and assets under management grew.
- BDO Named New Western Union Compliance Monitor @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 36 minutes ago
BDO Consulting has been named as the new independent compliance monitor for Western Union Co., becoming the money-transfer firm’s fourth monitor in less than five years.
- The Louis Vuitton Foundation By the Numbers @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 37 minutes ago
Focused on late modern and contemporary art, the private Frank Gehry-designed museum opens in Paris.
- Ford Earnings: What to Watch @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 48 minutes ago
Ford Motor Co. will deliver its third-quarter earnings report at 7 a.m. Eastern on Friday. Here's what you need to know.
- Alibaba Poised to Set Fresh Closing High For First Time Since Debut @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 50 minutes ago
Five weeks after its trading debut, Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. could finally close above its first-day closing price today.
- Sears Said to Be Closing More Stores @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 52 minutes ago
Sears Holdings Corp. is closing more than 100 stores and laying off at least 5,457 employees, according to Seeking Alpha, a crowd-sourced financial news service.
- With Actavis Stake, Glenview Is Latest Firm to Enter Tangled Pharma Web @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 9 minutes ago
Add another high-profile investor to the complicated web of pharmaceutical deal talks. Glenview Capital Management LLC has taken a stake in drug maker Actavis PLC, according to a person familiar with the ...
- [$$] Potash Corp. Expects Steady Fertilizer Demand for 2015 @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 28 minutes ago
Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan Inc. expects global demand for potash fertilizer to hold steady with this year’s level, despite sliding crop prices that are expected to crimp farmers’ incomes, executives ...
- [$$] GrubHub Revenue Up 51% @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 36 minutes ago
GrubHubInc. said its third-quarter revenue jumped 51% as the takeout-food-ordering platform garnered more daily food orders and users.
- A 'Small' Decoupling Play for Stock Investors @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 38 minutes ago
There’s still time to bet on the decoupling thesis, the team at Bank of America/Merrill Lynch thinks, if you're willing to also decouple from large-cap equities and bet on the small caps.
- UPS Earnings: What To Watch @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 44 minutes ago
Fuel prices and the upcoming holiday season are among the topics expected to be discussed when UPS reports earnings Friday.
- [$$] Yelp Deserves Credit for a Steady Hand @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 59 minutes ago
Yelp’s core local advertising business remains strong, even if the stock’s high valuation makes investors jumpy.
- [$$] Caterpillar Posts Surprising Profit Gains @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Caterpillar posted a surprise increase in earnings as it benefited from cost cuts and strong locomotive sales.
- [$$] Husky Energy Profit Climbs on Production Boost @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Canadian oil producer Husky Energy on Thursday reported a nearly 12% increase in third-quarter earnings, fueled in part by a 10% jump in production.
- Procter & Gamble Earnings: What To Watch @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Procter & Gamble's margin and management ranks are among the topics to watch when the consumer products company reports earnings Friday.
- SEC to Keep Veil Open on ETFs @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
The asset-management industry suffered a setback when regulators rejected a proposal by BlackRock to launch an exchange-traded fund that would have kept its holdings hidden from investors.
- Berkshire's Betting Big On Energy, But Likely Not on Oncor @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Inc. has bet big on the energy sector, committing to spend more than $15 billion on building renewble-energy projects. But the company does not plan to pursue Oncor, ...
- [$$] Textron Rethinking Key Specs of Business Jet @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Textron is rethinking the design of what would be its highest-end business jet after customers indicated a desire for more range and other changes, the company’s top aviation executive said.
- Will Amazon Pull the Football Away From Investors Again? @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Amazon.com Inc. has gotten slack from investors for years over its scant, sometimes nonexistent, earnings, as it has been better at selling a story about long-term growth than it has been at selling books. ...
- [$$] Cenovus Profit Dips 4% @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Cenovus Energy said Thursday its third-quarter profit dipped 4%, though results were better than expected and cash flow climbed 6% on higher oil-sands production and stronger natural-gas prices.
- [$$] Kering Revenue Rises 3.3% @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Kering SA said Thursday its third-quarter revenue rose 3.3% to €2.6 billion compared with the previous year, as its smallest luxury brands offset a sales decline at power brand Gucci.
- [$$] Vinci's 3rd-Quarter Sales Down 7.5% @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Vinci SA said its sales in the third quarter fell 7.5% dragged down by its contracting business, which includes heavy construction and housing.
- [$$] Lower Iron-Ore Prices Not Slowing Leading Miners @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Iron-ore prices may be at a six-year low, but the world’s leading mining companies don’t show any sign of idling their diggers.
- With New App, Facebook Harkens Back to Internet 1.0 @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Facebook launched "Rooms," a standalone mobile app that aims to recreate the online chat rooms of the early Internet.
- As Amazon Earnings Loom, Options Prices Suggest a Snoozefest for Shares @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Activity in the options market is indicating that Amazon.com Inc.’s latest earnings report could be a snoozer for the company’s shares.
- [$$] Unilever Should Bite Back Amid Slowdown @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Emerging-markets woes are weighing on Unilever. It should use the opportunity to do some deal making.
- [$$] Buffett Puts Wind in Berkshire's Sails @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
The famed billionaire doubles down on renewables—and wind power in particular—in his energy strategy.
- [$$] Fallout Grows From Faulty Air Bags @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
The spotlight on defective air bags intensified, with one of Germany’s largest auto makers issuing a recall and Honda imposing pay cuts on executives.
- Société Générale Hands Canary Wharf a Victory @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Canary Wharf has won the latest round in the contest with the City for trophy residents after persuading Société Générale to consolidate its London operations into a building at 1 Bank Street.
- Four Blue Chips Drive Dow's Gains @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Four stocks in the Dow Jones Industrial Average -- 3M, Caterpillar, Visa and Chevron -- accounted for more than half of the blue-chip Dow's 242-point gain Thursday as the index marched toward one of its ...
- Low-Volatility ETFs Deliver, but See Little New Cash @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
So-called low-volatility exchange-traded funds proved their mettle in recently choppy trading.
- [$$] Russia Holds Airport Staff Over Crash @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Russian investigators have detained staff that were on duty at Moscow’s Vnukovo airport during Monday’s jet crash that killed Total chief Christophe de Margerie.