- [$$] Banco Popular Profit Surges @ The Wall Street Journal - 24 minutes ago
Banco Popular Español said third-quarter net profit rose 80% from a year earlier, even as the bank more than doubled the amount of funds it set aside to cover bad loans.
- [$$] WPP Sales Lifted by Media Buying @ The Wall Street Journal - 33 minutes ago
WPP stuck to its full-year sales and profit margin goal even as the advertising giant warned that companies remain cautious with their advertising spending amid concerns over heightened geopolitical tensions....
- [$$] HTC Sees Brighter Fourth-Quarter Sales @ The Wall Street Journal - 43 minutes ago
HTC Corp. on Friday predicted sales would at least stay flat in the fourth quarter after three years of decline.
- [$$] British Airways' Parent Lifts Guidance @ The Wall Street Journal - 50 minutes ago
British Airways parent, International Consolidated Airlines Group, raised its full-year earnings guidance as a turnaround at its Spanish unit Iberia spurred a 30% rise in operating profit in the third ...
- [$$] Sony Posts Hefty Loss @ The Wall Street Journal - 53 minutes ago
Sony reports a $1.2 billion loss for the quarter after writing down the book value of its struggling smartphone business.
- [$$] BNP Paribas Lifts Profit @ The Wall Street Journal - 56 minutes ago
French bank BNP Paribas reported an 11% jump in third-quarter net profit, buoyed by its investment-banking business.
- [$$] RBS Takes Provision to Cover Forex Probes @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 2 minutes ago
Royal Bank of Scotland said it set aside $640 million to cover potential fines for the alleged manipulation of foreign-exchange rates, as the British bank swung to a third-quarter net profit.
- [$$] Bank of Ireland Trading in Line With Forecasts @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 4 minutes ago
Bank of Ireland said it has continued to trade in line with its expectations since June 30, and remains focused on cost control.
- [$$] Tencent, IBM Team Up on Services for Businesses @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 31 minutes ago
Internet giant Tencent Holdings is getting help from International Business Machines to attract business customers, as the Chinese company diversifies its offerings beyond games and online communication....
- [$$] Swiss Central Bank Swings to Profit @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 41 minutes ago
Switzerland’s central bank swung to a profit in the first nine months of the year as foreign currency and gold prices boosted its performance.
- [$$] AB InBev Hit by Weakness in Russia, Ukraine @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 46 minutes ago
Anheuser-Busch InBev reported that weakness in Russia and Ukraine weighed on sales volumes in the third quarter, even as cost cuts and strong sales elsewhere boosted profit.
- [$$] Chinese Internet Giants Angle for Online-Travel Business @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
As Chinese tourism explodes, the country’s three Internet giants— Alibaba, Tencent and Baidu—are all angling to grab a bigger share of the business.
- [$$] Corporate Watch: News Digest @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
U.S. officials have charged Gerber Products Co. with falsely advertising the potential health benefits of its Good Start Gentle baby formula.
- A Luxury Villa Near Florence, Italy, Lists for About $25 Million @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
On roughly 247 acres, the 4,843-square-foot villa has nine bedrooms and eight bathrooms
- [$$] Treasury to Auction $30 Billion in Debt @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
The Treasury will auction $30 billion in new debt and reopen $24 billion in previously auctioned securities.
- As Samsung's Profits Wilt, Its Stock Comes to Life @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
For Samsung Electronics Co., the financials have been bad but the stock performance has been anything but. The stock is up another 5% in midday trading Friday, part of a 14% ascent in the stock price since ...
- For China's Online Shoppers, Obama's Visit Nothing to Cheer About @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
For many Beijing residents, the upcoming APEC forum means a six-day holiday and—if the government has its way—hopefully bluer skies. But the meeting also could mean hiccups for online retail addicts.
- [$$] Company Joins Peter Luger Along Broadway @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
A throng of venues has joined Peter Luger Steak House on Broadway in South Williamsburg.
- [$$] Wal-Mart Weighs Matching Online Prices @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Wal-Mart is testing a program to match online prices from rivals like Amazon this holiday season, a move that could make the discounter more competitive but cut into profits.
- [$$] Former Android Leader Leaving Google @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Andy Rubin, co-founder and former leader of Google Inc.’s Android mobile business and the current head of its nascent robotics effort, is leaving the Internet company, the company said Thursday.
- Spooktacular Stomps for Halloweekend @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
The Village Vanguard
- [$$] Greater New York Watch @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Greater New York Watch: News Digest
- Richard Ford’s Frank Bascombe Is Back @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
In Pulitzer-prize winner Richard Ford’s new book, “Let Me Be Frank With You,” retired New Jersey real-estate agent Frank Bascombe examines a world transformed by Superstorm Sandy.
- Belfast: New Hotbed of Crime Fiction @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Stuart Neville, Adrian McKinty and others including Lee Child are finding an ideal setting in Northern Ireland in the post-Troubles era.
- In ‘Elsa and Fred,’ Shirley MacLaine, 80, Acts Her Age @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Shirley MacLaine, 80, who is romanced by Christopher Plummer, 84, in ‘Elsa and Fred,’ wants to make even more movies for the senior set.
- Locking ‘Horns’ With the Supernatural @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Blamed for the death of his girlfriend, Daniel Radcliffe’s outsider status is only worsened once he sprouts a pair of horns.
- Nicole Kidman’s ‘Before I Go To Sleep’ Has a Tedious Narrative Structure @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Forget about it—an amnesiac Nicole Kidman stars in Rowan Joffe’s ‘Before I Go To Sleep.’
- ‘Nightcrawler’: Raw, Stylish, Riveting @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Film Review : Jake Gyllenhaal hunts down scenes of urban violence as a freelance video cameraman in Dan Gilroy’s dark film, Joe Morgenstern writes.
- [$$] Longer Legal Shadow Falls Over Citi @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Heard on the Street : Citigroup surprised investors with a $600 million increase to legal charges in previously reported third-quarter results, cutting profit. That suggests some kind of settlement may ...
- Why Hollywood Loves ‘Interstellar’ Director Christopher Nolan @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
In an age of franchise films and hired-hand directors, few filmmakers are still treated with the deference of a Steven Spielberg or a James Cameron—except Christopher Nolan.
- [$$] Charging Ahead with Visa, MasterCard @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Heard on the Street : Strong third-quarter results for Visa and MasterCard were just the tip of an iceberg of good news for the card companies.
- [$$] A Private Party for the Economy @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Heard on the Street : The third-quarter GDP report painted an overly flattering picture of the economy. But in the current quarter, GDP could mask an economy that is gaining strength.
- [$$] Overheard: Cnooc—Deal or No Deal? @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Who needs hard targets when you can just confusingly reinterpret them? Chinese oil major Cnooc appears to have taken this approach when it revised production targets this week. Cnooc has for a while been ...
- [$$] Oil Price Slump Unbalances Majors’ Budgets @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Heard on the Street : Europe’s oil and gas companies were just getting close to being able to cover their out-goings with operating cash flow. But the sector should be able to trim further in the light ...
- [$$] Pimco Pulled Futures-Clearing Business From State Street @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Pacific Investment Management Co. in the past month pulled all its futures-clearing business from a unit of State Street Corp. after State Street asked Pimco to reduce some positions.
- [$$] Ruble Rebounds in Roller-Coaster Ride Before Central Bank Decision @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Russia’s battered ruble rallied to its biggest one-day gain against the dollar in nearly six years, on expectations that the country’s central bank is likely to take strong measures to shore up the currency....
- [$$] InTrade Founders Launch New Forum for Political Predictions @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Founders of political wagering site Intrade are back with a new forum for electoral prognosticating, minus one big thing: the wagering.
- [$$] Bad Loans Rise at China’s Biggest Banks @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Sour loans on the books of China’s biggest banks have increased 22% since the start of the year, as slowing growth and overcapacity in some industries take a toll on the financial sector.
- [$$] Ocwen Swings to Loss as It Sets Aside $100 Million @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
The mortgage servicer is in talks with New York’s financial regulator, as it looks to settle the latest in a series of charges of weak internal controls.
- [$$] Regional Banks Push Back Against Swaps ‘Push-Out’ Rule @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Regional banks are quietly joining the fight against one of the most hated Dodd-Frank provisions. The swaps push-out provision requires banks to spin off certain derivatives trading activities into units ...
- [$$] Stock Swoon Hurts Private-Equity Results @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Market volatility took a bite out of private-equity profits in the third quarter, highlighting how choppy markets can dent the firms’ results even as they say the tumult creates potential investment opportunities....
- Map of ‘Haunted’ Homes Is Landlords’ Nightmare in Japan @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Wherever houses are haunted by misfortune, Teru Oshima wants to hear about it. He built one of Japan’s most popular real-estate websites by mapping properties with histories of ghastly events.
- [$$] Scary Halloween for Exxon, Chevron @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Ahead of the Tape: The drop in crude-oil prices has sunk shares of Exxon Mobil and Chevron before their earnings reports. But there may be more misfortune to come.
- [$$] Activist, DuPont Spar Over Sale of Paint Unit @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Trian Fund Management is slamming DuPont over the sale of its paint division as buyer Carlyle prepares an IPO.
- [$$] Credit-Card Firms Ride Wave of Electronic Payments @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
MasterCard and Visa reported strong growth as more consumers ditch cash.
- U.S. Stocks Rise; NYSE Experiences Technical Glitch @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
U.S. stocks rallied Thursday with help from strong corporate earnings, even as traders were forced to wrestle with a significant technical glitch for New York Stock Exchange stocks.
- [$$] Investors Chide Bank of America on Combining Chairman-CEO Roles @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Three of the largest pension systems in the U.S. are pushing back on Bank of America’s move to name CEO Brian Moynihan as chairman.
- [$$] Twitter Replaces Product Chief Daniel Graf @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Twitter has replaced its new head of product, Daniel Graf, just six months after his much-touted hire away from Google.
- [$$] LinkedIn’s Revenue Gains Sharply @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
LinkedIn reported strong third-quarter revenue growth across its three main businesses, helping the professional social network post a smaller-than-expected loss.
- [$$] WWE to Drop Six-Month Commitment for Online Video Subscriptions @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
World Wrestling Entertainment is removing a six-month commitment requirement from its WWE Network video service, a move it hopes will boost subscriptions.