- [$$] UBS's $1.41 Billion Bail Upheld in France @ The Wall Street Journal - 22 minutes ago
A Paris appeals court has upheld a decision to set bail at an unprecedented $1.41 billion against UBS as part of a probe into whether the Swiss banking giant helped wealthy French customers evade taxes....
- [$$] Tesco Suspends Executives, Probes Error @ The Wall Street Journal - 33 minutes ago
Tesco has suspended four senior executives and called in outside auditors and legal counsel to investigate the overstatement of the U.K. supermarket operator's profit forecast.
- Canada Stocks to Watch: BlackBerry, EnerCare and Cascades @ The Wall Street Journal - 37 minutes ago
BlackBerry, EnerCare and Cascades are among the stocks we're watching today
- [$$] Apple Sells Over 10 Million New iPhones in First Weekend @ The Wall Street Journal - 38 minutes ago
Apple said it sold more than 10 million of its new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus devices over their first weekend in stores, exceeding last year's comparable total.
- [$$] Germany's Merck to Buy Sigma-Aldrich @ The Wall Street Journal - 41 minutes ago
German pharmaceutical company Merck said it would acquire U.S. firm Sigma-Aldrich for $17 billion, to strengthen its position in the life-science industry.
- Deals of the Day: Merck, Siemens Ramp Up the Dealmaking @ The Wall Street Journal - 49 minutes ago
Deals of the Day is your one-stop-shop for the morning's biggest news from the finance beat, including M&A, IPOs, banks, hedge funds and private equity.
- Alibaba's IPO Puts VIE Structure in the Spotlight @ The Wall Street Journal - 50 minutes ago
The risks of Alibaba Group Holding Ltd.'s corporate structure, which it shares with several other major Chinese internet companies, don't seem to be damping enthusiasm for its initial public offering.
- Morning MoneyBeat: Alibaba's Confidence-Fueling Debut @ The Wall Street Journal - 59 minutes ago
The bull market's message to Alibaba Group Holding Ltd: thank you. The successful IPO was a positive development for other companies looking to tap into the public markets and a good sign for investor ...
- Commercial Income? As Usual, In Tesco Accounting Error, There's Wiggle Room @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 4 minutes ago
Tesco's latest profit warning throws a spotlight on one of those corners of accounting that usually doesn't get much attention—until there's a problem. In this case, the issue is how and when to recognize ...
- Stocks to Watch: Sigma-Aldrich, Apple, Clorox @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 6 minutes ago
Among the companies with shares expected to actively trade in Monday's session are Sigma-Aldrich, Apple and Clorox.
- NASA's Maven Spacecraft Enters Mars Orbit @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 13 minutes ago
NASA's Maven spacecraft entered orbit around Mars for an unprecedented study of the red planet's atmosphere following a 442 million-mile journey that began nearly a year ago.
- Tesco's Richard Broadbent, a Nonretailer on the Retail Hot Seat @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 17 minutes ago
Tesco's admission of accounting irregularity puts the spotlight on Chairman Richard Broadbent, who has led the huge U.K. retailer through three years of tumult and decline despite his lack of retail experience....
- [$$] Russian Gas to Central Europe Falls @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 22 minutes ago
Some Central European countries continue to report declines in Russian gas deliveries, as tensions between Ukraine and Russia persist in the run-up to winter.
- [$$] China Property Developers Share the Pain @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 27 minutes ago
Agile Property became the third mainland developer in recent weeks to announce plans to raise equity. Bond investors who benefit from the fresh cash are trying to guess who is next.
- [$$] Par to Pay $100 Million in Patent Suit @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 28 minutes ago
Par Pharmaceutical agreed to pay a unit of Salix Pharmaceuticals and the curators of the University of Missouri to settle a patent infringement lawsuit related to generic Zegerid.
- [$$] Airbus Cautious on Single-Aisle Jets @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 31 minutes ago
Airbus urged caution in committing to a higher output for single-aisle jets, even as it planned to begin flight trials of its most successful new plane this week.
- [$$] RadioShack Supplier Declined to Help Rescue Effort @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 39 minutes ago
Cash-strapped RadioShack said it tried but failed to convince a major supplier to help its finances by altering its terms, a setback as the struggling electronics retailer works to avoid a bankruptcy filing....
- [$$] Carlyle to Sell Shares in Refinery Equipment @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 45 minutes ago
Carlyle Group disclosed plans to sell shares in an oil-unloading system the firm installed at a Philadelphia refinery that it took over two years ago.
- Pharmalot, Pharmalittle: We're Reading About J&J, Merck KGgA and much more!! @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 48 minutes ago
Good morning, everyone, and welcome to the working week. Once again, another weekend respite has come and gone with amazing speed. We hope you managed to recharge and enjoy because, as you know, that crushing ...
- [$$] New iPhone Tempts China Smugglers @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 53 minutes ago
Apple's new iPhone has become an object of more than just desire in Asia, where tussles broke out near stores selling the phones, and police in Hong Kong over the weekend foiled what they called a suspected ...
- [$$] Transforming a Sleepy Swiss Valley @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 22 minutes ago
An Egyptian billionaire who has spent nine years turning a small village in the Swiss Alps into a tourist destination is ready to start selling his vision abroad.
- The Morning Download: Oracle Plays Heavy Hand With Pricing, CIOs Say @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 28 minutes ago
Good morning. The fundamental challenge facing Oracle Corp. has more to do with culture than technology, according to CIOs
- Key Canada Events: Week of Sept. 22-26 @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 41 minutes ago
A new phone release and earnings from BlackBerry, a speech from the Bank of Canada's second-in-command, and the latest on retail sales are some of the events on this week's calendar.
- [$$] Ultrasonic's Ex-CEO Reappears, Denies Taking Funds @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 45 minutes ago
Wu Qingyong denied trying to disappear, saying he was in Manila for medical treatment and lost his phone. But whereas the German shoemaker says he has promised to return missing funds, he has denied taking ...
- [$$] AutoZone Profit Inches Up @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
AutoZone said its fiscal fourth-quarter profit inched up while margins expanded, although sales declined because of fewer sales days during the period.
- [$$] BlackBerry CEO: New Smartphone Will Cost $599 @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
BlackBerry plans to sell its new square-screen smartphone at a lower price than rival products, as the company attempts to regain some of the ground it has lost in the global market.
- The Morning Risk Report: China Glaxo Conviction Raises Bribery Stakes @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
PLC unit took all of one day in Chinese court and escalated compliance worries for companies already struggling with the risks of expanding into countries where corruption is rife. Department of Justice, which often allows the companies accused of bribery to spend years conducting their own internal investigations--often …
- Taiwan's iPhone Boost: How Long Will it Last? @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Apple Inc.'s latest iPhone models have been a boon for Taiwanese exporters. Economists share their views on how long the lift will last.
- [$$] Air France Pilot Union Rejects Offer @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Air France's main pilot union rejected proposals from the management to end a strike that has disrupted air traffic for over a week.
- The Morning Ledger: Tesco's Accounting Woes Highlight Life Without a CFO @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
U.K. supermarket operator Tesco PLC issued its fourth profit warning in three years and said it is investigating why it overstated its most recent profit forecast by more than $400 million, the WSJ's Lisa ...
- [$$] Santander Should Change the Scrip @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Spanish banks have been feeding investors an unhealthy diet of scrip dividends. Santander is one bank that should make a change.
- [$$] Total Cuts Production Outlook @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
French oil major Total reduced its medium-term production forecast and said it was in talks with Chinese banks to help fund a major project in Russia as Western sanctions tighten.
- Tesco Error Leaves Analysts 'Flabbergasted' @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Tesco PLC "stunned the market today," according to analysts at Shore Capital, after the supermarket said it had uncovered a "serious" accounting issue leading to the overstatement of ...
- Alibaba IPO Signals Strength in U.S. Stocks @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
The record initial public offering by Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. underscores financial markets' appetite for new listings, giving fresh fuel to the rally in stocks, investors say.
- [$$] Regulators, Accounting Firms Bicker Over Audit Rule @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Regulators are poised to require that accounting firms identify who is in charge of each audit they perform at publicly traded companies. But just where that disclosure will happen is still up for debate....
- If You Like the NFL, You'll Love the SEC @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Down & Distance: The Southeastern Conference has long been viewed as the closest that college football gets to the NFL. Now the SEC is exhibiting another of the NFL's characteristics: parity.
- [$$] India Administers Price-Cap Dose to Drug Companies @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
India is expanding a campaign to reduce drug prices by capping the amount pharmaceutical companies can charge for more medicines and warning of jail time for executives at firms that don't meet output ...
- [$$] Bingham and Morgan Lewis Talk Merger @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Boston law firm Bingham McCutchen is in substantive merger talks with a larger firm, Morgan, Lewis & Bockius.
- [$$] Des Moines Register Adds a Bit of Virtual Reality to News Report @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
The Des Moines Register on Monday will publish its first virtual-reality news report, incorporating the technology of Oculus VR, computerized game platforms and 360-degree cameras.
- [$$] Alibaba Success May Be Mixed Blessing to Street @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Alibaba's successful IPO may be a mixed blessing to Wall Street, shaking up the standard playbook in which one or two banks are given more weight than others.
- [$$] Courts Nix More Software Patents @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Federal courts have rejected more software patents since a U.S. Supreme Court ruling in June tackled the question of whether—and when—computer programs can qualify for intellectual-property protection....
- Time Is Already Nearly Up @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
It's awfully early on the NFL calendar to be thinking about firing a coach—unless you are the Oakland Raiders.
- [$$] Can Alibaba Keep Growing Without Sacrificing High Profit Margins? @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
The real success of Alibaba's IPO will depend on whether the e-commerce company can keep growing without sacrificing its high profit margins of more than 40%.
- [$$] CMO Today @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
The Economist rolls out new audience measurements for advertisers on its mobile applications and website. Also, WPP agrees to invest $25 million in ad-technology company AppNexus.
- Paula Deen Buys Rights to Her Food Network Shows @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Celebrity chef Paula Deen and her soon-to-be-launched online TV network have bought the rights to the shows and other video in which she starred during her 13-year tenure at Food Network. Terms weren't ...
- [$$] Financial Elite's Offspring Start Their Own Hedge Funds @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
The scions of a number of wealthy families, including the sons of prominent Wall Street figures Howard Marks and Ken Moelis, have either recently launched hedge funds or plan to do so soon, according to ...
- [$$] Comings & Goings: News Digest @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Comings & Goings: News Digest
- [$$] 'The Maze Runner' Leads Box Office @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
"The Maze Runner" found its way into the lead of new movies, with an estimated weekend box office in North America of $32.5 million.
- [$$] Iridium Venture Offers to Track Planes @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
In the wake of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370's disappearance more than six months ago, a satellite venture led by Iridium Communications is starting an initiative to provide free emergency flight-tracking ...
- The Weekend I Quit Watching All Football @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
After a week of troubling news throughout the football world, Jason Gay tries to take a timeout from our national sports obsession.