- [$$] Total to Select New CEO on Wednesday @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 minutes ago
Total is expected Wednesday to name a successor to CEO Christophe de Margerie, who died in a Moscow plane crash. Mr. de Margerie moved the company away from reliance on safe but depleted European fields, ...
- [$$] NHTSA Website Fails Amid Air Bag Recall @ The Wall Street Journal - 11 minutes ago
A federal website designed to help car owners figure out if they are affected by a NHTSA alert encouraging vehicle owners to take action on defective air bags isn’t working.
- Train Reading (Links): Not Lovin' It @ The Wall Street Journal - 14 minutes ago
News, analysis and some curiosities to ease your commute home.
- CFO Moves: Harsco Corp., SunCoke Energy Inc. @ The Wall Street Journal - 16 minutes ago
Harsco Corp. names CFO; SunCoke's CFO goes to DuPont spin, promotes controller.
- [$$] Will Cheap Gas Hurt Ford Truck? @ The Wall Street Journal - 18 minutes ago
The about 14% decline in U.S. fuel prices in the last four months is raising an unexpected hurdle for Ford’s lighter-weight F-150 pickup truck designed for an era of expensive gasoline.
- [$$] Morgan Stanley Mulling Exit from Gas Export Project @ The Wall Street Journal - 19 minutes ago
Morgan Stanley is considering an exit from its planned natural gas exporting project or bringing in a partner to run it, according to people familiar with the matter.
- [$$] Apple's iCloud Is Under Attack in China @ The Wall Street Journal - 20 minutes ago
Apple’s iCloud service for users in mainland China has been hit by an attack that could allow perpetrators to intercept and see usernames, passwords and other personal data, activists and security analysts ...
- You Can Recover From a Snippy Email, But Prepare to Grovel @ The Wall Street Journal - 20 minutes ago
Recovery from a snippy email is possible, experts say, but prepare to grovel. Set rules for yourself so next time you can calm down, think, delete and start over.
- [$$] Moody's Downgrades Petrobras' Ratings to Baa2 From Baa1 @ The Wall Street Journal - 22 minutes ago
Moody’s downgraded Brazilian state-controlled oil company Petrobras to two levels above speculative debt because of the company’s high debt and the outlooks for oil prices and the real.
- [$$] TVO Increases Claim Against Areva-Siemens @ The Wall Street Journal - 28 minutes ago
Finnish energy consortium Teollisuuden Voima Oyj said it has increased its claim against nuclear supplier consortium Areva-Siemens to €2.3 billion from its earlier claim of €1.8 billion.
- [$$] Siemens In Talks To Sell Hearing-Aid Business @ The Wall Street Journal - 30 minutes ago
Germany’s Siemens AG is in advanced talks to sell its hearing-aid business, which could be valued at up to €2 billion, according to people familiar with the matter.
- [$$] Third Point Wants Amgen to Explore Separation @ The Wall Street Journal - 34 minutes ago
Activist investor Dan Loeb revealed his Third Point has built a stake in biotechnology company Amgen and is calling on the company to explore breaking into two separate businesses, according to a letter ...
- [$$] New York Fed Faulted in 'London Whale' Case @ The Wall Street Journal - 39 minutes ago
The Federal Reserve Bank of New York failed to examine J.P. Morgan’s investment unit ahead of the bank’s 2012 “London Whale” trading debacle, according to a new report.
- [$$] Lockheed Martin to Boost Buybacks, Keep Spending Flat @ The Wall Street Journal - 46 minutes ago
Lockheed Martin Corp. said it plans to boost stock buybacks and keep capital spending flat as the world’s largest defense contractor by sales forecast that the Pentagon budget wouldn’t hit bottom until ...
- [$$] Walgreen Faces Investor Pressure @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 10 minutes ago
An activist adviser for union pension funds is pressing Walgreen Co. to postpone seeking shareholder approval of a major takeover until directors investigate allegations raised by former Chief Financial ...
- 5 Things To Watch In General Motors's Earnings @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 10 minutes ago
General Motors is scheduled to release its third-quarter financial results before the market opens Thursday. The auto maker is expected to report earnings of 97 cents a share on revenue of $39.1 billion, ...
- [$$] Agriculture's New Weapon to Fight Pests @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 16 minutes ago
Seed and pesticide makers like BASF, DuPont, Bayer and Monsanto are investing heavily to develop new products incorpor ating organisms like bacteria and tiny fungi, which executives say can help corn, ...
- [$$] Swiss Floor on Franc-Euro Rate Called Key to Monetary Policy @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 17 minutes ago
The Swiss National Bank’s currency floor of 1.20 Swiss francs ($1.27) per euro remains a key element of monetary policy due to the strength of the Swiss franc, a governing board member said Tuesday.
- [$$] Insurer Warns About Ebola and Coverage @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 28 minutes ago
Zurich-based insurer ACE warned customers it may impose restrictions on Ebola-related liability claims for businesses and organizations with employees traveling to West Africa, in what is believed to be ...
- [$$] Regions Profit Increases 11% @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 36 minutes ago
Regions Financial Corp reported an 11% increase in profit for the September quarter, but its revenue declined as the company reported a fall in mortgage income.
- [$$] Ocwen Slammed by New York Regulator @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 51 minutes ago
A New York state regulator accused mortgage servicer Ocwen Financial of backdating thousands of letters to borrowers that had the effect of denying them the ability to promptly correct loan problems.
- [$$] Verizon Adds Users as Rivals Lurk @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 52 minutes ago
Verizon said it has its largest slug ever of iPhone customers coming off contract this holiday season—as many as 3.1 million—giving rivals a big opening to poach customers from the nation’s largest carrier....
- [$$] McDonald's Earnings Plunge 30% @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 55 minutes ago
McDonald’s vowed to make fundamental changes to its business after reporting a worse-than-expected 30% drop in quarterly profit driven by problems in nearly every major part of its business.
- [$$] Scion Moves Into Spotlight on Global M&A Stage @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 59 minutes ago
Jho Low, of Jynwel Capital, used to generate headlines for his lavish partying with the likes of Paris Hilton. Now, he is more likely to draw attention for his deal making.
- Boeing Earnings: What To Watch @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 3 minutes ago
Dreamliner costs and 777 upgrades are among the items in focus when Boeing reports its results Wednesday.
- How Companies Prepare for the Worst @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 7 minutes ago
Companies must spend a lot of time planning for worst-case scenarios, suck as the sudden loss of a corporate leader like Total SA’s Christoph de Margerie, who died in a plane crash Monday.
- [$$] Russian Investigators Blame Jet Crash on Negligence, Drunkenness @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 7 minutes ago
The accident that killed Total SA Chief Executive Christophe de Margerie and three crew highlights the risk of “runway incursion,” in which aircraft encounter obstacles through error.
- [$$] GM Urges Michigan Gov. To Sign Anti-Tesla Bill @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 18 minutes ago
General Motors Co. widened the rift between Detroit auto makers and Tesla Motors Inc., urging Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder to sign the a bill barring auto makers from directly selling to consumers.
- Epic Sciences Names Michael Giske CIO @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 18 minutes ago
Mr. Giske, former director of IT strategy and architecture at Oracle Corp., is the company’s first CIO.
- Ocwen Shares Tumble On Latest Salvo From Lawsky @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 28 minutes ago
Ocwen Financial Corp. shares are on pace for their biggest drop since 1998 amid reports that New York's top financial regulator has accused the mortgage-servicing company of backdating letters to borrowers....
- [$$] Chip Designer ARM's Profit Rises @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 41 minutes ago
British semiconductor designer ARM Holdings PLC reported a sharp rise in third-quarter profit, but the results disappointed investors expecting a more robust rebound in revenue.
- Car Sharing Grows Under the Wings of Rent-a-Car Incumbents @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 41 minutes ago
Car sharing hasn't derailed the traditional auto industry business model yet, but interest in services that allow people to borrow a car instead of buying one is growing, judging from new figures from ...
- [$$] Glass Lewis Recommends Chiquita Holders Vote Down Fyffes Merger @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 48 minutes ago
Glass Lewis recommended Chiquita shareholders vote down the company’s planned merger with Irish fruit grower Fyffes and consider other options.
- How to Build a Crash-Resistant Portfolio @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 49 minutes ago
The best time to develop an escape plan in case your house catches fire is not when you wake up and the walls are burning. By the same token, the best time to develop a plan to handle market volatility ...
- [$$] Illinois Tool Works Raises 2014 View; Reports Profit Up 17% @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 49 minutes ago
Illinois Tool Works Inc. raised its 2014 profit outlook Tuesday, and reported third-quarter earnings rose 17%.
- A Screen That Makes Desktops Relevant @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 50 minutes ago
Personal Technology: The 5K display of Apple’s Retina iMac boasts an overwhelming number of pixels for the most demanding photo or video jobs, Geoffrey A. Fowler writes.
- Morgan Stanley Likes U.S. Treasurys Over German Bunds @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 51 minutes ago
U.S. Treasury prices are near their loftiest levels in more than a year, but Morgan Stanley sees a way to juice more out of the market.
- [$$] Canadian Pacific Earnings Climb @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 52 minutes ago
Canadian Pacific Railway Ltd. said its third-quarter net income and revenue hit record levels on the back of a 74% surge in revenue from crude oil shipments. However, results fell shy of analyst expectations....
- [$$] ARM Wrestles With a Smartphone Slowdown @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 52 minutes ago
ARM Holdings’ stock has tumbled amid fears of a slowdown in its biggest end markets, but remains too expensive.
- [$$] Always Prepared---With Fragrance and Evening Gown @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 57 minutes ago
Hyatt Hotels marketing executive Katherine Melchior Ray packs a potential self-transformation in her black suede Gucci carry-on bag: makeup, dress, jewelry and vitamins.
- J.P. Morgan Continues to Play the Host at LME Week @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 58 minutes ago
J.P. Morgan isn’t done with commodities.
- [$$] Coke to Cut Billions More in Costs @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 59 minutes ago
Coca-Cola Co. unveiled a broader cost-cutting program as it posted a 14% drop in earnings and warned it doesn’t expect to meet its previous financial targets. The beverage giant again reported lackluster ...
- [$$] Harley-Davidson Posts Strong Retail Sales @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Harley-Davidson Inc. posted lower earnings and revenue during the third quarter as motorcycle shipments declined as expected.
- Is This Crunch Time for Base Metals? @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Anyone investing in industrial metals needs to be patient. Copper, nickel, zinc and tin are likely to suffer low prices for some time yet, traders and analysts warn, though many are hopeful they’ll hit ...
- [$$] EU Regulators Seek Feedback on Trans-Atlantic Air Pact @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Air France-KLM, Alitalia and Delta are planning a tie-up on trans-Atlantic flights involving schedule, pricing and capacity coordination and profit-sharing. EU antitrust regulators want to hear what others ...
- Investor's Solo Act Is a Hit in Houston @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
When APF Properties was seeking a partner to acquire an office building in Houston’s ritzy West Loop/Galleria area, it was turned down by 60 investor groups. A year later, it has proved to be one of the ...
- 5 Questions for Oil Group Total @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
French oil company Total SA said Chairman and Chief Executive Christophe de Margerie died Monday in a plane crash at a Russian airport. Here are five of the top challenges his successor will be contending ...
- Total Loses CEO at Delicate Moment @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
The death of Christophe de Margerie, the respected though truculent boss of Total SA, in a plane accident in Russia leaves the French oil major at least temporarily without a chairman and chief executive ...
- Valeant, Ackman: Allergan Spread 'Misleading' Info in Takeover Fight @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
In a new court filing, Valeant Pharmaceuticals and William Ackman accused Allergan Inc. and CEO David Pyott of spreading “misleading information” they knew was false in an attempt to block the duo’s takeover ...
- [$$] Total SA CEO Spoke Out Against Sanctions @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
In a meeting with the Russian premier Monday night Total Sa CEO Christophe de Margerie railed against Western sanctions on Russia, but implored Russia to pursue reconciliation.