- [$$] Nasdaq Profit More Than Doubles @ The Wall Street Journal - 44 minutes ago
Nasdaq OMX Group Inc. said its first-quarter profit more than doubled as the company posted what it called record revenue.
- [$$] Group 1, Penske Report Higher Earnings Off Strong March Sales @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 2 minutes ago
Two of the nation's largest auto dealership chains reported higher profits as strong sales in March helped offset a weather-related slowdown in store traffic in January and February
- Facebook's Demure Blowout Earnings @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 3 minutes ago
SunTrust Robinson Humphrey's Robert Peck stopped by the MoneyBeat desk to talk about what Facebook did right, what investors were looking for, and where the stock is going from here.
- Google CIO: Enterprises Should Build 'Zero Trust' Infrastructure @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 8 minutes ago
Google is moving away from the idea of a corporate network to an infrastructure that reflects the habits and security of Internet users, Google CIO Ben Fried says.
- Apple's Revolutionary, and Not So Revolutionary, Tailwinds @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 10 minutes ago
No matter what Apple's next "revolutionary and magical" product turns out to be, BTIG analyst Walter Piecyk said this morning on the MoneyBeat show, there are no shortage of problems in the modern ...
- [$$] GE in Talks to Buy Alstom's Energy Business @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 12 minutes ago
General Electric Co. is in talks to buy French engineering firm Alstom SA's energy operations, people familiar with the matter said, a move that would help consolidate the struggling power-generation business....
- [$$] AstraZeneca Suffering from Split Personality @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 13 minutes ago
Investors pushed shares in U.K. pharma company AstraZeneca up following so-so first-quarter results. They need a reality check.
- Sun's Ranbaxy Dilemma: What to Do With a Tarnished Name? @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 13 minutes ago
Should the new owner of a troubled company change the name, or tough it out in hopes that memories are short?
- [$$] GDF Suez Chief Doesn't See Gas Flow Disruption @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 31 minutes ago
Geopolitical tensions over Ukraine shouldn't have an impact on the flow of natural gas from Russia to Europe as this remains crucial for both sides, the head of French power utility GDF Suez said.
- [$$] China Court Releases Japanese Ship at Center of Dispute @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 28 minutes ago
A Chinese maritime court said Mitsui O.S.K. Lines paid ¥4 billion ($39 million) to release a ship impounded over a civil suit regarding Chinese war-reparations claims from the 1930s.
- Future Pernod Ricard CEO Was Born Into Booze @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 33 minutes ago
Alexandre Ricard will soon take the reins at beverage conglomerate.
- [$$] Actavis Settles Celebrex Case With Pfizer @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 37 minutes ago
Actavis said it has settled all patent litigation with Pfizer Inc. over the generic version of painkiller Celebrex, and that Pfizer has granted it license to start marketing its generic version of Celebrex ...
- [$$] Generics Dent AstraZeneca Profit @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 53 minutes ago
AstraZeneca posted a 50% fall in first-quarter profit, below analysts' expectations, as sales of its best-selling drugs continued to be dented by generic competition.
- [$$] Air India Plans to Lease Airbus Jets @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 59 minutes ago
Air India Ltd. plans to lease Airbus Group's A320 jets as part of the loss-making airline's strategy to expand its fleet without ordering new aircraft.
- What WSJ Canada Is Reading Thursday @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 1 minute ago
We look at the latest from Apple and GM and how Toronto condo developers are saving space.
- Facebook Creates Real-Time News Wire for Journalists @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 10 minutes ago
Facebook is creating a real-time news service for journalists, called FB Newswire.
- The Morning Leverage: Biomet Bio-Meets Its $13.35 Billion Buyer @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 14 minutes ago
A roundup of private equity-related news.
- [$$] CIBC CEO McCaughey to Retire in 2016 @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 15 minutes ago
Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce Chief Executive Gerry McCaughey will retire in 2016 after almost a decade at the helm of the Toronto-based bank.
- [$$] Royal Caribbean Profit Slides, But Outlook Brighter @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 19 minutes ago
Royal Caribbean Cruises first-quarter profit slid 65%, with the results hitting the lower end of the company's guidance, reflecting some minor voyage disruptions.
- [$$] Wireless Acquisition Boosts Verizon's Profit @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 28 minutes ago
Verizon said its profit more than doubled for the first three months of the year, as the telecommunications giant got a big boost from its recent Verizon Wireless acquisition and continued to increase ...
- [$$] Burberry Opens Online Store on Alibaba's Tmall @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 30 minutes ago
Burberry has opened a virtual storefront on Alibaba's Tmall shopping site, in a highly unusual step that underscores the powerful draw of China's fast-growing e-commerce market.
- Europe Has to Rely on Russian Oil, Gas for Now, MOL Chairman-CEO Says @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 34 minutes ago
Europe can't avoid imports of Russian oil and natural gas in the short term, Zsolt Hernádi, chief executive and chairman of the board of MOL Nyrt. said
- [$$] Investors Embrace 'Catastrophe Bonds' @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 34 minutes ago
Insurance companies are taking advantage of the appetite for high-yielding debt by selling bonds that can force investors to help pay for the cost of disasters.
- [$$] Raytheon Executive Sees New Threats Boosting Defense Budgets @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 41 minutes ago
A senior Raytheon Co. executive said a number of countries are revisiting their defense budgets in the wake of the crisis in Ukraine. The defense contractor also delivered a forecast-beating 21% rise in ...
- [$$] Gazprom Bill Puts Ukraine Under Pressure @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 47 minutes ago
The Russian oil and gas company has billed Ukraine's state-owned Naftogaz $11.4 billion for not importing the full agreed amount of gas in 2013—which could add to Kiev's ballooning debt and give Moscow ...
- Stocks to Watch: Apple, Facebook, Zynga @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 47 minutes ago
Among the companies with shares expected to actively trade in Thursday's session are Apple Inc., Facebook Inc. and Zynga Inc.
- Morning Links: Apple Is Trying Very Hard to Reward Investors @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 56 minutes ago
A roundup of blog posts and articles from around the web.
- Stocks Open Higher; Apple Rallies @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
U.S. stocks rose, as a rally in technology bellwether Apple and other upbeat corporate news put the S&P 500 index back in range of a record high.
- [$$] Celgene's Revenue Rises on Higher Sales of Cancer Drug Revlimid @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Celgene's first-quarter sales climbed 18% as the drug maker continued to benefit from strong sales of Revlimid, its flagship blood-cancer treatment.
- Canada Stocks to Watch: Potash, Barrick, Crescent Point, Encana and Fairfax @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Potash Corp., Barrick Gold, Crescent Point Energy, Encana and Fairfax Financial are among the stocks we're watching today.
- [$$] Nokia Indian Plant Likely to Be Excluded From Microsoft Deal @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Unable to solve a tax dispute with Indian authorities, Nokia said it is unlikely that it would be able to include a massive phone plant in India in a wider deal to transfer its phone business to Microsoft....
- [$$] China Strips Sina of Publication, Distribution Licenses @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
The Chinese government stripped popular Internet portal Sina Corp. of two online-publication and distribution licenses, official media said, as a crackdown on lewd content intensified.
- Morning MoneyBeat: Stock Splits Re-Enter Spotlight @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Apple's 7-for-1 stock split doesn't affect the value of the company, but does put the shares within reach of more individual investors which could boost demand for the stock.
- [$$] Adidas Is Diversifying China Suppliers @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
German sportswear company Adidas is diversifying suppliers in China to decrease the effect of a factory labor dispute on the availability of sneakers it sells.
- Sentiment Falters Toward U.K. IPOs @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
What's happened to that London IPO boom?
- [$$] New York Times Profit Falls 51% @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
New York Times Co. said first-quarter earnings declined 51% as higher operating costs offset a modest increase in revenue.
- [$$] Navistar to Boost Production at Two Plants @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Navistar International Corp. said it plans to ramp up production at two plants, citing positive trends in its industry and good customer demand for its offerings.
- Deals of the Day: Ackman's Footprints, Zimmer's Deal @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Deals of the Day is your one-stop-shop for the morning's biggest news from the finance beat, including M&A, IPOs, banks, hedge funds and private equity.
- [$$] Barclays Reprimanded Over Pay @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Barclays directors said rivals are picking off the bank's top staff because it can't compete on pay, as one of the lender's top investors issued a rare rebuke on remuneration.
- [$$] Agents for Japan's Marubeni Detained in China @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Japanese commodity-trading house Marubeni said that three employees at a Chinese company affiliated with one of its U.S. trading units have been detained by customs officials in the eastern city of Qingdao....
- [$$] Mead Johnson Earnings Rise 7.7% @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Mead Johnson Nutrition, the maker of nutritional products, reported stronger sales across its segments and geographic regions during the first quarter.
- [$$] PetroChina First-Quarter Profit Falls 4.9% @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
State-controlled PetroChina said its first-quarter net profit fell 4.9% from a year earlier, due mainly to rising costs and a decline in international crude prices.
- [$$] JetBlue Profit Plunges @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
JetBlue Airways Corp. said its first-quarter earnings plunged on higher operating expenses and as severe-weather impacts weighed on revenue growth.
- [$$] American Airlines Profit Soars @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
American Airlines Group Inc. said its first-quarter adjusted earnings soared with a boost from a gain on the sale of slots at Reagan National Airport that U.S. antitrust regulators required to complete ...
- [$$] Novozymes Raises Outlook After Strong First Quarter @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Novozymes raised its outlook for 2014 after seeing strong sales of its industrial enzymes used in washing detergents and in ethanol production.
- [$$] Zimmer to Buy Biomet for $13.35 Billion @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Zimmer agreed to buy orthopedic device maker Biomet for about $13.35 billion in cash and stock, in a bid to position the combined company as a leader in the musculoskeletal industry.
- [$$] Proxy Adviser ISS Recommends Dan Loeb's Election to Sotheby's Board @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Activist investor Dan Loeb gained a key ally in his campaign to shake up Sotheby's Inc. on Thursday when an influential shareholder adviser recommended he be elected to the art-auction house's board.
- [$$] Southwest Airlines Earnings Jump on Lower Fuel Costs @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Southwest Airlines said its first-quarter income more than doubled, as the carrier posted stronger revenue and lower fuel costs despite weather problems that caused disruptions during the period.
- KKR Profit Rises Slightly @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
KKR & Co. said first-quarter profit rose slightly from a year ago, as the private-equity firm sold shares of companies it took public and reeled in fee.
- [$$] Singapore Mass-Transit Operator's Shares Rise 18.5% @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Stock exchange investigating SMRT trading activity and investors warned to be cautious.