- Tesla Posts Second Profitable Quarter Ever @ The Wall Street Journal - 38 minutes ago
Tesla Motors Inc. posted the second quarterly profit in its history as a public company, as the auto maker had its best sales period on record, helped by the new Model X sport-utility vehicle.
- [$$] Barrick Gold Raises Gold Production Target, Swings to Profit @ The Wall Street Journal - 50 minutes ago
Barrick Gold, the world’s largest gold miner by production, on Wednesday raised its gold output projection as it swung to a third-quarter profit, driven by higher prices and lower costs.
- [$$] Morgan Stanley Sets Off a Fight Over the Cost of Your Retirement Account @ The Wall Street Journal - 56 minutes ago
Morgan Stanley will let its customers keep paying for retirement advice with commissions, setting up a split in how the brokerage industry interprets new federal regulations governing $3 trillion in assets....
- [$$] Newmont Mining Swings to a Loss, Revises Dividend Policy @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 4 minutes ago
Newmont Mining Corp. swung to a third-quarter loss, hurt by a charge tied to the planned sale of its stake in one of the largest copper deposits in Indonesia.
- [$$] Tesla: The Bill Is Still Coming Due @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 23 minutes ago
Tesla Motors’ third-quarter results aren’t as strong as they seem.
- [$$] Western Digital Swings to Loss @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 28 minutes ago
Western Digital Corp. said it swung to a loss in the latest quarter as the disk-drive maker was hit by charges related to its acquisition of SanDisk and other items.
- [$$] Freeport Financial Closes $518 Million Lending Fund @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 30 minutes ago
The Chicago direct-lending unit can deploy up to $960 million with fund leverage, it said.
- [$$] VMware Sales Paced by Services Segment @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 33 minutes ago
VMware posted better-than-expected adjusted earnings and revenue, boosted by the virtualization software vendor’s services business.
- [$$] Former Odebrecht CEO Close to Signing Plea Deal in Car Wash Probe @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 39 minutes ago
Marcelo Odebrecht, the former chief executive of Odebrecht SA, is close to signing a plea bargain with investigators in the sprawling Operation Car Wash probe into corruption at state-controlled oil company ...
- [$$] Texas Instruments Reports Higher Profit, Boosts Dividend @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 44 minutes ago
Texas Instruments said profit shot up 21% in the latest quarter as continued strong demand in the automotive and industrial sectors helped the chip maker report results just above its forecast.
- [$$] General Dynamics Delivers Fewer Gulfstreams @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 0 minutes ago
General Dynamics said it sold fewer planes in the third quarter, driving down its revenue, but cost-cutting helped boost profit.
- [$$] Groupon to Buy LivingSocial, Reports Another Loss @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 3 minutes ago
Groupon agreed to buy fellow daily-deals provider LivingSocial, uniting two top names in a sector that has experienced some turmoil.
- [$$] Apple Delays AirPod Shipments @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 19 minutes ago
Apple is delaying the shipment of its AirPod wireless headphones, saying it needs more time to deliver the product to consumers. The $159 headphones had been expected to ship by the end of October.
- [$$] Salesforce CEO Urges Extra Scrutiny of Microsoft's Acquisition of LinkedIn @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 23 minutes ago
Salesforce.com Chief Executive Marc Benioff said rival Microsoft’s $26.2 billion acquisition of LinkedIn should face additional scrutiny by regulators because of its size.
- [$$] Brazil's JBS Cancels Planned Spinoff @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 25 minutes ago
Brazilian meatpacker JBS canceled a reorganization plan favored by many shareholders, sending the stock price plunging and creating uncertainty about the company’s future structure.
- [$$] Auto Lenders Have New Reason to Worry @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 39 minutes ago
Several large companies have warned that prices of used vehicles are likely to weaken, potentially leading to higher losses on loans on which cars are the collateral.
- [$$] Design Can Make or Break a Product, Says Automattic's John Maeda @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 54 minutes ago
Too often, technology is too hard to for the masses to use because the products are made by engineers who don’t give much thought to how average consumers will use them, says Automattic’s John Maeda.
- [$$] Surface Studio First Look: Microsoft's All-in-One PC Aims High @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
With the introduction of the Surface Studio all-in-one desktop PC on Wednesday, Microsoft Corp. continued its push into high-end hardware.
- [$$] GE Drops Bid to Acquire Germany's SLM Solutions Group @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
General Electric said its bid for 3-D printing company SLM Solutions has failed after an activist investor amassed enough shares to foil the deal.
- [$$] Amazon.com Can't Neglect Its Retail Roots @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Amazon.com’s success in the cloud is well documented, but it must show its core retail business can eventually be highly profitable, too.
- [$$] More Trade Groups Want Alibaba Back on U.S.'s Piracy List @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
More trade groups are calling for Alibaba to be put back on a list of global marketplaces known for counterfeit goods.
- [$$] Airbus, Boeing Follow Own Paths to Further Growth @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
The world’s two largest plane makers laid out divergent goals as Boeing chases fresh sales while Airbus opts to go full throttle to produce more jets.
- [$$] China's Tech Sector Is Underestimated, Venture Investors Say @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Americans underestimate the Chinese tech sector at their own peril, said venture investors Kai-Fu Lee and Jim Breyer at The Wall Street Journal’s global technology conference.
- [$$] Creditors Challenge Noranda's Plan to Dismiss Its Bankruptcy @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Tennessee-based Noranda has sold its assets and is looking to settle with creditors and have its bankruptcy case dismissed without the formality of a chapter 11 exit plan.
- [$$] Proposed Settlement in West Virginia Chemical Spill @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
A proposed settlement has been reached between Charleston, W.V., residents and a chemical company accused of not doing enough to safeguard West Virginia’s capital city from a spill that polluted the drinking ...
- [$$] Corporate IT Expects 'Serverless' Computing to Trigger Big Changes @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Corporate IT executives see promise in an emerging technology in which the physical and virtual servers that are traditionally used to run applications becomes invisible to the developers building the ...
- Apple's $9 Billion Riddle -- Podcast @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
On today's MoneyBeat podcast, Heard on the Street columnist Dan Gallagher joins us to take a deep look into Apple's earnings.
- [$$] Coke's Profit and Revenue Fall @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Coca-Cola said profit and revenue fell less than expected in the latest quarter as developed markets buoyed the top line despite softness abroad.
- [$$] Mondelez's Results Top Expectations @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Mondelez International said its adjusted per-share earnings beat expectations for the third quarter and the company raised its 2016 guidance.
- [$$] China's Cnooc Trims Its Exposure in Canadian North @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
China’s Cnooc Ltd. sold off its majority stake last month in a small Canadian oil and gas venture, according to an executive in the company, a sign the state-controlled energy giant is retrenching after ...
- [$$] Deal or No Deal, Time Warner Is a Good Bet @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Investor skepticism over the regulatory outlook for AT&T’s deal for Time Warner has created an opportunity in the media company’s shares.
- [$$] Verizon Executive Says Yahoo Deal 'Absolutely' Still Makes Sense @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Verizon thinks its planned acquisition of Yahoo “absolutely” still makes sense, despite a major customer-data breach at the internet company that surfaced after the agreement, Verizon Executive Vice President Marni ...
- [$$] Microsoft Unveils PC Geared for Media Creation @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Microsoft is expanding its hardware portfolio to challenge Apple’s iMac with a new, 28-inch touch-screen computer called Surface Studio.
- Dow Industrials Rise Despite Drag From Apple @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Gains in Boeing helped offset Apple’s losses in the Dow Jones Industrial Average during choppy trading. The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite declined.
- Comcast Reports Strong Earnings @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Comcast reported better-than-expected financial results and added video customers in the third quarter, as its NBCUniversal business was powered by the Rio Olympics.
- [$$] Fitch: Restaurant Bankruptcies On The Rise @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
The recent uptick in fast-casual restaurant bankruptcy filings stems from changing consumer preferences as well as heightened competition, according to a Fitch Ratings study.
- [$$] IPO Spat Pits Hedge Funds Against German Property Firm @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
IVG Immobilien’s pulled offering and subsequent rejection of a Blackstone deal spark dissension
- The 9 Most Important Insights for Tech and Media in 2017 @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Technology strategist Michael Wolf predicts a fast-changing landscape that will get harder for advertising-supported content companies while enriching digital gatekeepers such as Google, Facebook, Apple, ...
- [$$] Tech IPOs to Surge Next Year, Investment Banker Says @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
One of the tech industry’s most prominent bankers predicted that the number of tech IPOs next year will soar, easing pent-up demand among investors.
- Apple's S&P 500 Influence On the Wane @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
While Apple remains the world's largest company but its influence has waned in recent years as the stock price bounced off all-time highs.
- [$$] Michael Wolf: Chatbots Will Reshape Messaging Apps @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Chatbots encountered by smartphone users today might seem fairly crude, but they are going to get a lot more useful, technology strategist Michael Wolf says, shaping the outcome of one of the internet’s ...
- [$$] Michael Wolf: 'Gray Music' Set to Surpass Exclusive Streaming Tracks @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
The music industry’s new driver will be the fans and the lesser-known artists who create mixes, remixes, live recordings and cover songs—content collectively known as “gray music”—says strategist Michael ...
- [$$] Quick Hits: BOJ Set to Cut Inflation View, Riksbank Seen Extending QE @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
The Bank of Japan is likely to lower its inflation forecast next week, moves in China’s stock market and currency aren’t having the same global impact that they did earlier in the year, and Sweden’s Riksbank ...
- Rhode Island Pulls Money from 7 Hedge Funds @ The Wall Street Journal - 6 hours ago
Rhode Island's State Investment Commission decided Wednesday to pull money from seven of its hedge-fund managers, moving forward with its plan to halve how much it has invested with some of Wall Street's ...
- [$$] IBM: A Billion People to Use Watson by 2018 @ The Wall Street Journal - 6 hours ago
IBM’s Watson artificial intelligence technology is on track to be used in some form by a billion people by the end of next year, Chief Executive Ginni Rometty said.
- [$$] Twitter Earnings: What to Watch @ The Wall Street Journal - 6 hours ago
Twitter is scheduled to report third-quarter results before the market opens on Thursday. Here’s what you need to know.
- [$$] Pumpkin Patch in Receivership as Debt Woes Mount @ The Wall Street Journal - 6 hours ago
New Zealand children’s clothing retailer Pumpkin Patch Ltd. has been placed into receivership after failing to find a solution to its debt woes.
- [$$] ConvaTec Completes £4.4 Billion Listing on the London Stock Exchange @ The Wall Street Journal - 6 hours ago
Wound dressings maker ConvaTec Inc., which is backed by private-equity firms Nordic Capital and Avista Capital Partners, has listed on the London Stock Exchange.
- [$$] KKR Swaps Client Relations Head in Key EU Market @ The Wall Street Journal - 6 hours ago
Jurcell Virginia left KKR at the beginning of October after four and a half years with the firm, according to a person familiar with the matter.
- Biogen: Heads Is a Win, Tails Is Complicated @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
Eli Lilly's pending Alzheimer's disease data is important for Biogen--if the results are good.