- [$$] Burned Carlyle Investor Backs Suit Against Private-Equity Firm @ The Wall Street Journal - 43 minutes ago
A major Dutch investor lost $60 million when a Carlyle Group LP fund collapsed in March 2008. Now, he is paying for others to sue the U.S. private-equity firm, a high-stakes gamble that could make him ...
- [$$] EU Clears $26 Billion Microsoft-LinkedIn Deal @ The Wall Street Journal - 45 minutes ago
The European Union approved Microsoft’s $26 billion acquisition of LinkedIn, after the software giant agreed to safeguards to assuage antitrust concerns.
- [$$] Alaska Air, Virgin America Get U.S. Nod for Merger @ The Wall Street Journal - 51 minutes ago
The Justice Department approved the $2.6 billion merger of Alaska Air Group and Virgin America.
- [$$] Boeing Becomes Latest Company to Draw Trump's Ire @ The Wall Street Journal - 52 minutes ago
President-elect Donald Trump suggested the U.S. government should cancel a planned order with Boeing for a new version of Air Force One, making the aircraft maker the latest company to come under scrutiny ...
- Where Things Stand on the Fiduciary Rule: A Q&A @ The Wall Street Journal - 55 minutes ago
The changing political landscape may result in a delay or repeal of the new fiduciary standard for brokers.
- [$$] KKR Buying U.K. Supplier of Gas and Electricity Meters @ The Wall Street Journal - 56 minutes ago
Calvin Capital Ltd. is owned by Infracapital, a European infrastructure investor.
- Financial Advisers Try to Hold On to Business After Clients Die @ The Wall Street Journal - 58 minutes ago
The key: finding new ways to appeal to the surviving children.
- [$$] SeaWorld to Cut 320 Positions @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 0 minutes ago
SeaWorld Entertainment said it would lay off 320 employees as part of a restructuring and cost-cutting initiative as it continues to plan for a post-Orca future.
- [$$] Chinese Group Reports More Apple iPhone Battery Problems @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 1 minute ago
Pressure on Apple Inc. in China intensified as a Shanghai consumer group loosely affiliated with the government complained of additional problems with batteries in the company’s iPhone 6 devices.
- [$$] Sandell Won't Seek Bob Evans Shareholder Vote @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 3 minutes ago
Activist investor Thomas Sandell’s firm is calling off its push for a shareholder vote to press Bob Evans Farms to split operations.
- [$$] Samsung Heir Rejects Claims Company Paid Kickbacks @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 12 minutes ago
Vice chairman Lee Jae-yong told a South Korean parliamentary committee that he wasn’t initially made aware of donations by affiliates of his company to two foundations allegedly controlled by a confidante ...
- Sprint Hires Chief Digital Officer to Improve Customer Experience @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 13 minutes ago
Rob Roy will work to build a “digital customer journey across all device types” and will emphasize sales, marketing and technology, Sprint said in a statement. That includes helping customer acquisition ...
- [$$] Donald Trump Sold All His Stockholdings in June @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 15 minutes ago
President-elect Donald Trump sold all of his stockholdings in June, removing himself from positions in numerous U.S. companies, a spokesman said.
- Capital One Pursues 'Explainable AI' to Guard Against Bias in Models @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 17 minutes ago
The effort is part of a larger movement among commercial and government entities to better understand how a machine-learning model comes to a logical conclusion. “We’re starting to do more and more with ...
- [$$] The Add-On Deal Roundup: Dec. 6 @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 28 minutes ago
This article contains a roundup of add-on acquisitions for private equity-backed companies.
- [$$] Wearable Tech Looking Worse for Wear @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 29 minutes ago
Slowing sales of wearable gadgets at Fitbit and Apple cast doubt on market’s ultimate potential.
- [$$] Altus Selling Rocla Concrete Ties to German Company @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 34 minutes ago
The private-equity firm is anticipating a 4.5-times return on it investment in Denver maker of concrete railway ties.
- [$$] Supreme Court: Lower Court Should Reconsider What Samsung Owes Apple @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 35 minutes ago
The Supreme Court Tuesday ruled a lower court should reconsider how much money Samsung owes rival Apple for infringing patents on the iPhone’s design.
- [$$] Chipotle Seeks to Lure Customers With Better Service @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 38 minutes ago
Chipotle Mexican Grill Co-Chief Executive Steve says the company is focusing with “laserlike” attention on service problems to draw customers back. The burrito chain also plans to make an announcement ...
- [$$] Heads of J.P. Morgan, Bank of America Say FICC Stronger @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 38 minutes ago
The heads of the two biggest U.S. banks by assets, J.P. Morgan and Bank of America, said Tuesday that their trading businesses are set to close the year on a strong note as investor activity has picked ...
- [$$] Barnes & Noble Education's Sales Slow; Shares Fall @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 47 minutes ago
Barnes & Noble Education Inc. lowered its outlook for comparable sales for the year as the college bookstore operator grappled with lower enrollment.
- Trump's Beef With Boeing Over Air Force One -- At A Glance @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 26 minutes ago
President-elect Donald Trump suggested the U.S. government should cancel an order with Boeing for a new version of Air Force One, making the aircraft maker the latest company to come under scrutiny by ...
- [$$] Silicon Valley Stumbles in World Beyond Software @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 34 minutes ago
Google parent Alphabet Inc.’s struggle to launch a delivery-drone business is part of tech’s broader problem expanding innovation into the physical world. Silicon Valley hopes to reinvent automobiles, ...
- [$$] Presidential Aircraft Are No Strangers to Controversy @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 38 minutes ago
The fleet of planes and helicopters shuttling the U.S. president to major events are among the world’s most high-profile flying machines, but they have also been in the spotlight for their high cost.
- [$$] New Market Aims to Make Trading Natural Gas More Like Oil @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 39 minutes ago
Two U.S. exchanges plan to launch derivatives that could make it easier to trade a type of natural gas, potentially revolutionizing this market in the way that the Brent and WTI benchmarks did for crude....
- [$$] Court Confirms Key Energy's Bankruptcy Exit Plan @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 43 minutes ago
Key Energy Services Inc., an oil-well servicer, on Tuesday won court approval of its restructuring plan, slightly more than a month after filing for bankruptcy protection.
- [$$] Tillerson, Secretary of State Candidate, Has Ties to Putin @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 57 minutes ago
Exxon CEO Rex Tillerson’s connections to Vladimir Putin and other world leaders could redefine American interests abroad, but his appointment would introduce potential conflicts of interest because of ...
- [$$] Equinix to Buy Some Verizon Data Centers for $3.6 Billion @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Equinix agreed to pay Verizon Communications $3.6 billion for a portfolio of 24 data center sites in a transaction that will expand its operations deeper into more U.S. cities and Latin America.
- Big Pharma, Short on Blockbusters, Outsources the Science @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Drug giant Sanofi has formed an unorthodox partnership with a Harvard professor to seek new drugs in areas that have baffled scientists, one of a number of initiatives by Big Pharma to tap outside expertise. ...
- [$$] Many Dakota Pipeline Protesters Dig in for the Long Haul @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Many of the demonstrators who came here to protest a pipeline are planning to stay, despite a recent win against the building of the pipeline, the wishes of the chairman of the tribe that has led the protest ...
- [$$] Foreign Investors Step Up Business in India @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
As a venture including Blackstone Group takes steps to launch India’s first real-estate investment trust, other foreign investors are also stepping up their activity in the country.
- [$$] Medallion Building Delaware Basin Crude-Oil Pipeline @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
The pipeline will be anchored by Parsley’s long-term dedication to Medallion of about 35,000 acres held under lease or mineral interest in Pecos and Reeves counties in Texas.
- [$$] Fast Fashion: How a Zara Coat Went From Design to Fifth Avenue in 25 Days @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
Following one coat’s journey from Zara’s design workshop in Spain to retail display rack in Manhattan offers an inside look at the fast-fashion model that has made parent company Inditex the world’s biggest ...
- Instagram Users Can Now Turn Off Comments, Dismiss Private Followers @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Instagram co-founder and CEO Kevin Systrom announced two new safety features coming in the next few weeks: The ability to turn off comments for individual posts and to remove followers from private accounts....
- [$$] Wells Fargo CEO Expects Scandal Fallout to Cost Tens of Millions of Dollars @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Wells Fargo & Co. Chief Executive Timothy Sloan reiterated that the bank expects to spend tens of millions of dollars to get through investigations and other regulatory matters related to its sales practices ...
- [$$] Blackstone Plans India's First REIT @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Blackstone Group is poised to launch India’s first real-estate investment trust in an IPO that could raise more than $600 million and mark a milestone in the development of a modern commercial real-estate ...
- [$$] Carlyle Consortium Nears Deal to Buy McDonald's China Franchise @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
A consortium including private-equity giant Carlyle Group LP is close to a deal valued at as much as $2 billion to buy McDonald’s Corp.’s China franchise.
- [$$] Brazil's JBS Says IPO for International Unit Can Move Ahead @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Brazilian meatpacking giant JBS SA said Tuesday its plans for an initial share sale for its international unit can move forward without the approval of the country’s development bank, a major shareholder, ...
- Stocks to Watch: Michaels, Intralinks, AutoZone @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Among the companies with shares expected to trade actively in Tuesday's session are Michaels Cos., Intralinks Holdings Inc. and AutoZone Inc.
- [$$] German Government Must Compensate Utilities for Nuclear Law, Court Rules @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Germany’s top court ruled the government must compensate utilities companies for its nuclear phase-out law, opening the door for damage claims worth billions of euros.
- [$$] Kuwaiti Fund Pays $165 Million for Tower That Houses Panasonic North America @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
A Kuwait-based investment fund has paid $165 million for a Newark tower that houses Panasonic Corp. of North America’s headquarters.
- The Morning Download: Amazon Go Store Makes Retail Check-Out Thing of the Past @ The Wall Street Journal - 6 hours ago
Amazon.com's effort, which combines sensors and artificial intelligence, is part of a broader effort to expand its use of brick-and-mortar stores, but with an approach that bridges the digital and the ...
- [$$] Hudson's Bay Reports Third-Straight Quarterly Loss @ The Wall Street Journal - 6 hours ago
Saks Fifth Avenue and Galeria Kaufhof owner Hudson’s Bay reported disappointing sales ahead of the holiday shopping season, with Saks and outlet stores accounting for the largest sales declines.
- [$$] In China, Trump-Style Infrastructure Partnerships Are Used to Hide Debt @ The Wall Street Journal - 6 hours ago
China’s 400-foot JinQing Harbor Bridge under construction is being financed by a Chinese twist on public-private partnerships that Donald Trump has proposed to fund U.S. infrastructure projects.
- [$$] Roper to Buy Deltek for $2.8 Billion @ The Wall Street Journal - 6 hours ago
Roper Technologies Inc. said Tuesday that it would acquire enterprise software and information-services provider Deltek for $2.8 billion.
- [$$] Bank of Montreal Profit Climbs 11% @ The Wall Street Journal - 6 hours ago
Bank of Montreal raised its quarterly dividend and reported a better-than-expected profit amid a 36% jump in loan-loss provisions, capping off a mixed fiscal fourth-quarter reporting season for Canada’s ...
- [$$] AutoZone Revenue Grows as It Opens More Stores @ The Wall Street Journal - 6 hours ago
Replacement-part retailer AutoZone Inc. said profit grew 7.8% in its latest quarter amid higher revenue, helped by new store openings, as same-store sales grew slightly less than expected.
- [$$] U.S. Lawmakers Urge Rejection of China-Linked Purchase of Lattice Semiconductor @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
Lattice Semiconductor Corp. said last month it had agreed to a $1.3 billion buyout offer from Canyon Bridge Capital Partners Inc., a new private-equity firm backed by investors in China.
- [$$] Alibaba Affiliate Seals Deals to Expand Alipay in Europe @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
China’s Alipay payments platform, part of Alibaba affiliate Ant Financial, will collaborate with three banks and a payments company in Europe as it seeks to expand its presence there.
- [$$] GE Ventures Spins Out Menlo Micro With $18.7 Million Funding @ The Wall Street Journal - 7 hours ago
GE Ventures is spinning out Menlo Micro, which is producing a new type of electronic switch for use in mobile communications networks, new 5G mobile networks and industrial Internet of Things applications....