EXETER, R.I. (AP) -- Rhode Island's congressional delegation is asking the U.S. Department of Labor to reconsider its decision to suspend enrollment at career and technical training centers across the U.S., including one in Exeter.
Rep. Jim Langevin says that as of Monday, the Exeter Job Corps may no longer register new students. The Democrat was among those who sent a letter last week to the Labor Department saying the cost-saving move will have a significant negative impact on local economies. Sens. Jack Reed and Sheldon Whitehouse sent a separate letter.
Job Corps is a no-cost technical training program for 16- to 24-year-olds that offers courses in business, construction, information technology and other disciplines.
Langevin's office says it's not clear if the enrollment cuts will extend into the new program year starting in July.