The first way to detect the issue is to download free app called AirPush Detector.
AirPush Detector scans your phone to see which apps appear to use notification ad frameworks. From there, you can easily uninstall the ad-supported apps using AirPush Detector.
The app can't block ads, but it can at least alrert you to which ones are showing you them.
Now for the trick.
After you've detected and deleted the apps are responsible for the ads, head to the Google Play Store.
- Once inside the Play Store, tap on Settings.
- Inside Settings, uncheck "Google AdMob Ads" and this will ensure that you will no longer receive targeted ads from Google.
More From Business Insider
- The 25 Most Disruptive Apps Of 2012
- These Are The 10 iPhone Apps I Can't Live Without
- Take A Tour Of The Gorgeous New iTunes
- Technology & Electronics