SACRAMENTO, CA--(Marketwire -08/01/12)- Sacramento dog bite attorney, at the Demas Law Group, P.C., warns of breeds that frequently attack and cause injuries. Shocking statistics indicate that each year approximately 16,000 people in the United States seek emergency care each day due to dog bites. In 2006, a total of 22 people were killed by dogs, by 2009, that figure had increased 50 percent. Recently the numbers are more alarming and it is estimated that in America an individual is bitten by a dog every 75 seconds.
"Dog attacks are not just traumatic, terrifying, and painful; they can also cause permanent life changing injuries. We are frequently called upon to help people who have been injured or have lost a family member from a savage dog attack," says John N. Demas, Sacramento dog bite attorney.
Sacramento dog bite lawyers have noted that as well as pit bull terriers, there are nine other breeds that have gained a reputation as potential killers. Parents need to be especially cautious when infants, toddlers and small children are in the same area as any dog. Ten breeds which are statistically most likely to injure or kill:
- Pit bulls - This dog is nowhere near the largest on the list of potential killers, but far and away the most dangerous.
- Rottweilers - This is the largest breed in the top 10. Their size and strength allow them to kill even the biggest prey very quickly.
- German Shepherds - The German Shepherd is the most common K-9 used by American police forces. They are smart, strong, and fearless, and trainable to attack on command. They make excellent watch dogs, but in the wrong circumstances, their size, speed, and strength are a lethal combination which can lead to an innocent victim being harmed.
- Huskies - They are highly intelligent and seldom used as a guard dog. Between 1979 and 1997, Huskies killed 15 people in the United States.
- Alaskan Malamutes - This breed can weigh up to 100 pounds, and have tendency to become bored, disobedient and aggressive, when not properly exercised.
- Doberman Pinschers - Often seen as a guard dog, this breed is characterized by intelligence and loyalty. The breed generally is involved in fatal attacks only when under the impression that its "family" is under attack, or when the dog itself has been seriously provoked.
- Chow Chow - This breed is frequently aloof and independent. However poor training or lack of attention makes the breed aggressive.
- Presa Canario - This popular guard dog attacks without fear, and has the strength and ability attack victims of all sizes.
- Boxer - When this breed attacks, stopping the assault is impossible.
- Dalmatian - Provoking will cause this breed to attack, which often leads to fatal consequences.
Sacramento dog bite attorneys see that dog bites are the number two reason for children visiting an emergency room. In California, the law is relatively straightforward. If you've been bitten by someone else's dog and you were in a public place, or if you were legally on private property, then the dog owner is liable for your injuries. The owner should have to pay damages, but all too often, people don't know their rights.
The Demas Law Group, P.C. is a team of Sacramento personal injury attorneys and staff who work together dedicating themselves to providing legal representation to individuals and families who have been injured because of the negligence of others. The Sacramento firm handles legal matters including auto injuries, pedestrian injuries, catastrophic injuries, DUI accident injuries, defective products injuries, medical malpractice, defective medications, nursing home abuse, general negligence and wrongful death cases. For over 20 years, the founder of the Demas Law Group, P.C., John N. Demas, has successfully handled a broad range of personal injury cases, and has prevailed against some of the largest insurance companies and corporations in America.