SAN DIEGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--
Thomas Jefferson School of Law announced today it will begin offering free tax preparation services February 25 through April 8. Senior citizens, students, low-income individuals and other members of the community who are unable to prepare their own tax returns are eligible for the free tax filing services at the annual Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) clinic at the law school.
Operated each spring by the law school’s Tax Law Society, the clinic provides critical assistance for those who cannot afford to pay to prepare their returns.
“For the past 18 years, students have been offering this invaluable service to the San Diego community, and during that time have assisted countless individuals who may not have otherwise been able to afford professional tax preparation,” said Professor Richard Winchester, adviser to the Tax Law Society and a former attorney in the national tax office of PricewaterhouseCoopers.
The free services offered by Thomas Jefferson Law students are an official part of the IRS sponsored Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program, which means all returns will be prepared by IRS-certified students who have undergone extensive training. The clinic’s student volunteers receive training to become IRS-certified, operate the TaxWise software, interview clients effectively and assemble a proper tax return.
Located at 495 11th Avenue in downtown San Diego, the clinic will be open two days a week from February 25 through April 8, excluding March 10 and 11. Clinic hours will be 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Thursdays and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Fridays.
In order to have your tax return completed by a Thomas Jefferson VITA volunteer, please bring the following items with you:
- Proof of identification
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse, and any dependents. If you do not have a card, please bring a social security number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Wage and earnings statements from your employers (Forms W-2, W-2G, 1099-R)
- Interest and dividend statements from banks and other financial institutions (Forms 1099-INT, 1099-DIV)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state tax returns, if available
- Bank routing and account numbers for direct deposit
- The amount you paid for any day care, and either (a) the day care provider’s social security number, or (b) the day care provider’s employer identification number
- If you are married and are filing a joint return, both spouses must be present to sign the form
Appointments can be made by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Walk in clients are also welcome, but priority will be given to those who have appointment.
About Thomas Jefferson School of Law
Thomas Jefferson School of Law offers a comprehensive legal education to a nationally-based, diverse student body. The non-profit law school is consistently ranked as one of the most diverse law schools in the nation, with 52 percent of its most recent class being students of color. Located in Downtown San Diego, Thomas Jefferson Law has evolved into an innovative, cutting-edge law school, devoted to the individual needs and success of its students. More information is available at www.tjsl.edu.